A Light in Sheol

A Light in Sheol

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

The condition in the Underdark deteriorates as Alleania's group rushes to confront the invaders.

"

39.

A Light in Sheol

 

It was like a long jump that seemed to never end - that is the analogy that came to Aurei’s mind as her group travelled through the teleportation relays.    Though not much time actually passed, it felt as if hours were slowly draining past as they were in the midst of the spell.   She couldn’t see anything but a blur around her, but neither could she feel anything beneath her nor hear anything at all and the lack of sensory stimulation was giving her a claustrophobic mindset.   She fought to stay calm and told herself that her husband was actually by her side.  

Still, she was very relieved when they reached the destination that Alleania had set for them.    All at once they stopped and for a few moments they all staggered around trying to get their bearings.

They were much deeper in the Underdark now, and though it was an exotic and surprisingly beautiful place, Aurei felt very apprehensive about being so deep under the ground.   The air here was dank and yet filled with a sharp hint of sulfur.  

“What is that awful smell?”   She asked Alleania as they looked around.

“I fear that comes from the fires of the enemy.” The Vampire told her daughter, “It is not the usual smell for this place.”

Aurei took in the surroundings.   They were still on the wide underground highway,  but a short distance ahead a wide cavern could be dimly discerned .    A high wall of stone, carved with very unusual and somewhat sinister characters, hid the city from her view.  

Directly ahead was a large gate house and twin metal gates seemed to defy anyone from entering.    There was nobody on the road, though Aurei believed she could see guards on the parapets, watching them.

“This is Hor’olorbb, your ancestral home, Aurei.” Alleania told her with a slight smile.   She then turned to her sister to watch her reaction.   Zeatt was staring at the cavern with her eyes wide and moist with tears.   She didn’t say anything, but squeezed Alvis’ hand, gaining courage from his presence.  

“Matron,” Uyuit said respectfully to the Vampire, “Notice your magic items - they do not seem to be working.”

Everyone glanced down at any magic they were carrying.   Aurei pulled out her swords, but there was no glow from either one of them.    It was the same for all of them.

“We’re in the range of the Gem.”   Eleazar stated what everyone already knew, “That means that the enemy is close.”

“Come on, we don’t have much time!”   Alleania gestured for them to follow her and she took off running toward the gate.   The other five members of the group raced after her.

The walls of the city were very impressive when they reached the Gatehouse.    They looked to be probably 40 feet tall and though intricately carved, they seemed extremely solid and strong.  

A strong female voice called out a challenge to them from the parapet as they approached, but Aurei did not know what she said, as the guard spoke in Drow.

Alleania answered the challenge and held over her head a large medallion and this seemed to satisfy the guard, for a moment later the gate was opened and a pair of Drow men in black chainmail impatiently motioned for them to hurry through.   

As they did, one of the Drow guards spoke to Alleania for a few minutes.    Aurei and Alvis did not know enough of the Drow language to follow what they said, but the others did.   While the Vampire lady was still speaking to the guard, Eleazar came over to them and in a whispered voice, brought them up to speed.

“They let us in because they recognized Alleania as one of the Matron Mothers of the city.    The guard told her that the city is mostly evacuated as the Goblinoids, Ogres and Trolls are only a few miles south of the city and already all magic has failed.    He said that there is something pushing the humanoids to attack so savagely.   Rumors are that it is some huge roaring beast that slithers behind them, breathing fire and setting everything in its path ablaze.”

“A Dragon!” Aurei and Alvis both exclaimed at the same time.

“Yes, and not one like was once common on the surface.   This one is huge and hides behind its fire and smoke.”

“That is not good news, Eleazar.”  Alvis said, “I will wager that this Dragon wears the Gem of the Oscinate around its neck.”

 

The half-Drow nodded, “That would certainly be the safest place for it.”

Alleania, Zeatt and Uyuit joined them a moment later and confirmed Eleazar’s words.

“We need to quickly get to the Ar’Rilla estate.”   She turned to her sister, “It is not the same one from our youth.    That one was long taken by another Noble House.    But this one is on the southwest part of the noble district and well fortified.   We have many secret passages, too.   Come, we must hurry!”

Without another word Alleania again took off running and they all chased after her.    As they ran, Aurei had only a quick glance of the city of Hor’olorbb.    All the streets were nearly empty due to the impending invasion, but she was bedazzled at the dark and terrible beauty of the architecture of the Drow city.

Everything seemed carved from stone, with graceful designs that seemed to favor spiders and webs as themes.   It was both beautiful and sinister at the same time.  

They rushed through the dark Elven city at a run, first down one narrow street than another, until Aurei was completely certain she would never be able to find the path back to the front gate.

Only a few nervous Drow patrols prowled the streets, but they were focused on the upcoming battle and paid them little heed.

After they felt  they had run forever, they came to the western end of the Noble House section of the city.    Here, finally, Alleania stopped, pointing to a fair sized building, surrounded by a wall about 15 feet high.

"The Estate of Ar'Rilla," She told them as they gasped for breath.   By then the gates were already being swung open and a foursome of Drow ran out to them.  

"Matron Mother!" One Drow girl who was just a child exclaimed and she bowed to her.

"Yes, Orrie, we made it.   I brought them as I promised you."   She smiled at the child, who glanced around excitedly, focusing mostly on Aurei.

"Is this her?"   She asked Alleania somewhat shyly, and when she nodded, the girl smiled happily.

"Aurei," The Vampire lady said, turning to her, "This is Orrie Ar'Rilla, your cousin."

"My cousin?"

"Her mother was Chal's sister, Orthzeil.   She died in childbirth after one of the assassins of House Ar'Reborei poisoned her in order to 'warn' me not to reform House Ar'Rilla.   I have raised her and told her much about my daughter."

The girl came over to her and bowed slightly, "I am honored to meet you Duchess Aurei."

Aurei knelt with a smile at the innocence in such a somber setting and patted the child's head, "Just call me Aurei, Orrie.   I am very glad to meet you too!"

"Pardon me, Matron Mother," One of the other Drow, who was a tall, rather grim looking man, said, "We are in a rather perilous situation and I would suggest that we go inside to speak."

 

They all went through the gates which three guards closed after them.   Alleania led them across a modest courtyard and through a door that was carved to appear as a huge spider web.   Orrie stayed close to Aurei as they went through the estate to a large common room to talk.  

The girl reminded Aurei so much of her daughter Sirya that she almost cried at the memory.   Eleazar seemed to understand her emotion and took her hand in support without a word.

 

When they had seated themselves in the common room (on comfortable chairs that had etchings of spiders and nightmare creatures carved into them), Alleania sent one of the Drow to gather those of House Ar'Rilla that had not evacuated the city.   

A few minutes later about 20 Drow -- and several half Drow-- filed into the chamber, each bowing respectfully, not only to Alleania, but to Zeatt and Aurei as well, before they found a place to stand or sit.

Finally, the tall Drow man did a quick head count and, satisfied that all were present, spoke to Alleania in a tone loud enough for all to hear.

"Matron Mother, and her most noble sister, daughter and their consorts, I assume you have learned from the messengers that I sent to meet you at the northern entrance of the Underdark, that humanoids have invaded the Underdark.   Therefore, I will just update you with what we have now learned."

He took a deep breath as if he dreaded to share the news, then continued, "We have been told that several of the survivors from Pentradaemon saw the source of the terrible fire that burns stone.   It is said to be a huge Dragon of a species never seen before.   It spews fire at will from its mouth and has scales that no weapon has been able to penetrate.”  

Those in the room murmured in dread and excitement at the news.   Alleania nodded grimly, "We had deduced something like that."

"Matron, there is more.   It is said that the beast wears the Anti-Magic gem around its neck as a collar and seems to delight in destruction.   It is this Dragon that forces forward the goblinoids, Ogres and Trolls before it.    It has not stopped to seize any gold or gems, as if it has no interest in treasure at all.   Perhaps it is something evil and powerful, some evil spirit or perhaps a demon, possessing it.  It is unnatural for any of the Dragon kind to not seize treasure when it encounters it."

"That is because something unnatural controls it." Said a voice that was familiar to Aurei from one corner of the room.   Everyone twirled around to find a very pregnant Drow lady leaning against the wall, lighting a Dart'loxinchu cigarette with a strange looking device.

 

It was Sophia, and her sudden appearance unnerved everyone who did not know how she could teleport so deep into the Underdark.

Zeatt ran over to her, but from her expression, Sophia was there on business.

"I am not allowed to stay but briefly, and I am censured on what I can say to you, by order of Yesh.   I can tell you that Watchers are being sent to all of your friends and family.    I cannot take time to chat or answer questions; I have to give this message, and then I will be withdrawn.   I'm sorry, this looks like a very interesting place, but here is what I must say."

She took a deep drag from her cigarette and then recited her message, "This is what the Lord, Yesh the Merciful, says to you:   You are threatened with an evil that is from beyond this world.   In two days, the army of goblinoids as well as Trolls and Ogres will begin to attack this city.   But these forces are not as deadly as that which whips them forward to conquer.  That which you have just learned about is more than just a Dragon, though make no mistake that it is very much that as well.   It will possess cunning and evil that is far beyond even that of most Dragons."

"If you are somehow able to pierce through its flawless scales and to kill it, know that it which controls this beast will not be harmed.   For what you have learned is correct, the Dragon is controlled by something not of this world, something that desires the death of all of you and of the Underdark."

"Can you tell us how to defeat it?"  Aurei asked her cousin.

Sophia smiled sadly, but shook her head, "I'm sorry, Aurei, but I can't do that.   I would suggest to you that any of you that are living will certainly die if you encounter this Dragon and that which controls it."

"But we need to get the Gem of the Oscinate off its neck to send Torrin's demon back to… Wait a moment!" Eleazar jumped to his feet excitedly, "Torrin's demon!   It's that Demon that is controlling the Dragon, isn't it!"

Sophia grinned a bit mischievously and just leaned against the wall, blowing smoke rings, but not answering.   She didn't have to, for they had figured it out as she had hoped.

"Good luck," Sophia finally said as she finished her cigarette and began to vanish, "PLEASE be careful, and use your heads before you use your swords.   By the way, the name of he that controls the Dragon is Mazzikim’ruhin.  Yesh, preserve you!"

She faded away like a ghost, leaving all of them filled with a thousand questions and a desperate need to begin planning a strategy.

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...a short distance ahead could be dimly discerned a wide cavern." Perhaps "...a short distance ahead a wide cavern could be dimly discerned."
"After they had felt that they had ran forever..." Maybe, instead, "After they felt they had run forever..."
"...a trio of guards closed them after them." This could be confusing if one were not paying close attention.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Great suggestions, Elina, I have made the changes.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Added on June 8, 2014
Last Updated on June 9, 2014


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis