The Reluctant King

The Reluctant King

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric faces sudden and drastic changes to his life.

"

22.

The Reluctant King

 

“Amilyo, the white raven is mistaken!”  Aedric said to his grandmother immediately following the burial ceremony.

“Mistaken?   Why do you say that, child?”   She was gently teasing him, but this was all the more frustrating to him.

“Did you not hear what he spoke " or perhaps it was what the priest interpreted -but one of the two of them was mistaken!”

“I see no mistake, child.   You are the King of the Sylvan now, following the death of Travin.”   Her eyes filled with tears upon his name and Aedric hesitated, knowing she was still deeply mourning.

“Amilyo, it isn’t just that!   You heard him proclaim Duke Dullerm as King of Marksylvania.   There is no nation that I have ever heard of by that name!”

“Yet.”  The fair lady replied, “Remember, much of what he said is that which will occur in the future.”

“But what about Gamel; he said both he and his father were King of Marksylvania, and then claimed that Gamel was - or would be- Emperor!   Surely this is madness, Amilyo!   The Empire is filled with those who hate any intelligent race that is not human.   There is absolutely no possibility that any Elf - or Drow- could ascend to that title.”

“Yet.”  She said again, “Child, you do not recognize prophesy.   Gamel will be the successor of his father’s Kingdom.   There will probably be a war with the Southern Empire, and Gamel’s kingdom will be victorious.   Then he will ascend the Imperial throne.”

“That is absurd, Amilyo!   It would take hundreds of years for the people of the Southern Empire to abandon their hatred of demi-humans, thanks to Torrin.”

“Did you not hear the title he was given?   ‘Immortal’?   The same title that his parents, me, you, and the poor girl (who’s hand you are clutching far too tightly right now) were given.   We are all immortal, child, and that means that there is plenty of time for these things to come to pass.”

“Then why can I not wait to take my title?”

“The Raven said you were the reigning King.   This comes from God, child.   You are King of the Sylvan, whether you accept it or not.”

“I can’t be King, Amilyo!   I don’t even know the people very well.”

“Child, you won’t have to take up this mantle alone.   You will have a Queen by your side.”

“Then why don’t you just reign, Amilyo!   You are certainly wise enough.   I could watch you until I knew enough to take over.   You can reign and I can stand by your side.”

“Child, though I will certainly be close by to advise you, it wasn’t me that I was referring to as the ‘Queen by your side’.”

 

She simply looked over at Snoe, who was quietly watching their conversation as Aedric tightly squeezed her hand unconsciously.   Aedric and Snoe’s eyes met and they both blushed immediately.   He quickly let go of her hand.

“Amilyo, Snoe is merely a Princess…” He glanced at the girl, who nodded eagerly in agreement.

Mathlyn smiled slightly, “The Raven did not give her that title; he gave her the title of Queen of the Sylvan.”

“B-But",He stammered, nearly panicking, and the albino girl seemed to be in the same state of mind.

“Aedric, the White Raven has never foretold something that didn’t occur.   Never.  But He also never stated when all of these things must occur - except for your reign as King.    I would not worry too much about your Queen just yet - time will work all of that out… perhaps sooner than you imagine.    For now you need to focus on leading your people.   When we leave the Royal Crypt, the three priests will await you with the crown of the Sylvan people.”

“Today?!   But-“

“Child, do not worry about it.   They have received visions of what they are supposed to do, at the same time that the White Raven was speaking to everyone.   It is the way of our people.   These visions come from Yesh and are very specific.” 

She stopped and put a hand gently on both his shoulder as well as Snoe’s,  but her eyes had a somewhat far-away dreamy look to them as she spoke “Do not be afraid of what will happen when we leave here.”

“What will happen?”  Snoe asked Mathlyn with terror in her voice.

“Change, child, rapid, difficult change, but you both must trust in Yesh.”

She leaned in and kissed both of them on their foreheads, “Wait here until I return.   I have just received a vision as well, and I must go and speak with the Priests before we continue.”

 

Without another word, the lovely widow of the King hurried up the remainder of the ramp.   The others that were following them had stopped a respectful distance from them, leaving Snoe and Aedric standing there alone.

“Snoe, I am so sorry!   I didn’t know any of this was going to happen!   You look scared to death!”

“I am scared to death!   Aedric - am I supposed to be… your Queen?”

“Yes, I think we both know that.”

“I… I don’t think… I-I’m not…”   She stammered, embarrassed.

“Me neither.   But I don’t think we can sneak out of this blasted crypt.”

“I’m not trying to cause you any trouble-“

“Snoe, I understand, believe me.   It frightens me to death as well!   I mean, you have become a very close, very dear friend to me, but-“

“Exactly!   My parents would simply die if… well, you know…”

“Did the Priests bring you down here for the ceremony?”

“Yes!   They practically pulled me out of the crowd, and I was still too stunned by that crazy raven to resist.   The next thing I knew I was being escorted by the guards down to join you.   I felt so embarrassed.”

“There is no need to feel that way.   We’ve all been led around today.”

“Aedric, I don’t want to marry you!   I-I-I mean… well, at least n-not so soon…”  She blushed a pretty red and diverted her eyes in awkwardness.

“We’re both too young for that, don’t you think?   I mean marriage!”   He stammered, equally as embarrassed.

“Yes!   We’re far too young and we don’t really know each other very well when you think of it.”

“Right -it wouldn’t be proper.   You heard Mathlyn; this all could happen in the future- a long time in the future.   Who knows, maybe you’ll be the Queen of a King after me - maybe I’ll get killed or something.”

“Well, I don’t want that!   I… like you… Aedric… a lot.   But I’m scared to death to move so fast.    I…. don’t know what I’m doing.”

“That makes two of us.   Listen; don’t worry about it, okay?   If I’m really King, then I will simply make a proclamation that everyone is to leave you alone and not try to pressure you into fulfilling that crazy bird’s prophesies.   I don’t want everything to get awkward between us thanks to a raven - even a white one.”

 

Snoe nodded, looking somewhat relieved, “I’d appreciate that - telling everyone to not pressure me.   You might tell them not to pressure you as well.”

“I just might.   Wow, this has been a nightmare, hasn’t it?”

“Yes.   I’m not sure what my parents are going to make of all of this.”

“Well, don’t fret; we’ll get it all straightened out soon.   Here comes my Grandmother.”

 

They waited for her, and she came hurriedly down the ramp, her eyes gleaming with excitement.

“What did they say?”  Aedric asked her, uneasy by her expression.

“There is no time, child.   Please promise me that you will trust me as well as the Priests.”

“Amilyo-“

“Aedric, you MUST trust me and them!   I have lived over 4,000 years, child; I can assure you that I have some wisdom.   Please trust me and do what the Priests tell you to do.”

“Yes, but if-“

“Their visions are from Yesh, child, as are mine.   You must trust them, as a follower of Yesh.   He won’t lead you astray.”

“I know that, but if they ask anything from Snoe-“

 

Mathlyn turned to the girl, “Child, you too must trust Yesh.   Your parents have always trusted him, and you must, too.   Please!    Do not be afraid.   Now come, children, the Priests await!”

 

She took their hands and pulled them up the ramp with protests still trapped in their throats.   At the top of the ramp stood the same three priests, and around them were gathered some of the guests from Westmark.   Next to them stood two young men, both holding small pillows upon which rested two Elven crowns.

 

Aedric glanced over at Mathlyn, and sure enough, she had relinquished her tiara.

 

“Uh, Snoe…” He began to warn, but before he could continue, they were standing before the three Elven Priests of Yesh.

 

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"She leaned in and kissed both of them on the foreheads..." I'm not sure which you would prefer, but this should probably be either "...on the forehead..." or "...on their foreheads..."
"Your parents have always trusted him, and you too must." Perhaps if you reword the second bit? "...and so must you." or "...and you must, too."

Another wonderful chapter! Poor Aedric and Snoe...but I must say, I am terribly pleased. Haha

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Elina, just wait, it gets more crazy...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Added on May 23, 2014
Last Updated on May 24, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, romance, Marksylvania


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis