Port in the Storm

Port in the Storm

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

The Watchers begin to give their messages.

"

40.

Port in the Storm

 

Queen Mathlyn and Lady Nansea were working hard to keep Abigae busy learning the healing arts that they had mastered.    They certainly understood the Half-Elf girl's strong emotions, for her entire family was scattered in several directions trying to save all they knew from total destruction.

Yet she stayed behind, anxiously waiting for news, just as they did.   So Queen Mathlyn decided to challenge the girl with some very powerful healing spells and recipes for healing potions and salves.  

Abigae was certainly interested, and seemed very anxious to learn all she could.   They were actually getting her to smile some, when to their surprise, into the House of Healing where they taught her, walked a pair of very exhausted Half-Elf Paladins carrying a small Drow baby.  

"Mom! Dad!   Yesh, save me, what happened!   You're carrying Aidan!   Oh no!" She leaped to her feet and ran to them, assuming the worst and crying hysterically.

"Honey, calm down, listen to me!   Listen, it's alright! Listen!" Alis embraced her daughter, who just wept violently, letting days of pent up nervousness and fear flood from her in a torrent.

Mathlyn and Nansea took Aidan from Alis to give her time to calm her daughter down and spoke to Aeric as they played with the good-natured Drow baby.

 

"… So we hurried here to tell you."  Aeric finished telling them about the new developments in the Underdark, and both Elven ladies looked very grim at the news.

"Tarmard is very close to those entrances you describe, Aeric.   It will certainly be the first destination of that goblin army if they are not stopped.   But I am far more troubled about what you said about a fire that can melt stone.   I know of only one type of fire that can do this, except for arcane fires.  In the very beginning of this world, at the Great Gathering, there were several -- perhaps three or four-- great Dragons, from a world different than any other.   They were enormous in size and could breathe out flames and sulfurous gas at will."

"Their fire would melt any metal and even stones and they caused great horror and death in the early days.   Two were killed when they began fighting among themselves, but the other one… or perhaps two… just disappeared to the great relief of all the people."

"Queen Mathlyn, are you suggesting that one of these ancient Dragons is being used by Torrin?  Surely his hatred of non-humans would extend to Dragons as well.    How could he possibly control a great Dragon without using magic?"

"No mortal being could control one of these Dragons, Aeric, not even with magic.   Their gaze can turn a man to become as if he was stone.   If this is one of these Dragons, either it is doing this of its own desire, or else some terrible unworldly power is controlling it."

Alis and Abigae had come over to them upon hearing Mathlyn's tale.   This did little to distill the Half-Elf girl's nerves.

But before they could discuss the matter further,  there was a flash of light and suddenly a very pretty Elven lady appeared in front of them, which caused not only Abigae, but Nansea as well to scream in fright.

"Peace!   I am a friend, do not be afraid!   I am Deborah Ferebee; one of the Watchers of Yesh and I have been sent here with a message from Him to you.   Please understand that I am not allowed to answer many questions, and must say what I have been instructed to say.   I will probably disappear following my message."

"We will listen and heed."  Mathlyn assured her.

"Thank you, Queen Mathlyn.   This is the message of Yesh the Merciful to you.   That which you have just guessed is indeed true, for a great Dragon pushes the forces of Torrin forward.   He seeks to destroy those in the Underdark and then move against all non-human communities on the surface."

"It is essential that those returning from Helios, that have completed their quest, be ushered quickly to the city of Hor'olorbb, where your friends will attempt to kill the Dragon and take the Gem of the Oscinate.   Only when this Gem is destroyed will Torrin's demonic master be cast out of Synomenia.   You shall wait here for those questing in Helios valley and take them to Hor'olorbb."

"Ma'am, what about Westmark?   We need to warn them too."  Alis asked.

"Do not worry," Deborah smiled reassuringly, "One who you know well is even now being sent to them."

“So what do we do while we are waiting?”   Aeric asked.

“Prepare, rest and pray.” Deborah replied, and a moment later she had vanished.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Mathlyn and Nansea took Aidan from her to give her time to calm her daughter down..." If I'm reading this correctly, the first "her" is referring to Alis...I would use her name, rather than "her," since there are two others in the sentence and it could be quite confusing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Elina.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
1 Review
Added on June 9, 2014
Last Updated on June 10, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, fantasy, knights, adventure, wizards, swords and sorcery, Westmark, Marksylvania


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis