Crowning

Crowning

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric finds himself facing one of his biggest fears

"

23.

Crowning

 

“Hear me, people of the Sylvan, and all those assembled!”   One of the Priests shouted loudly as Mathlyn brought Aedric and Snoe up to them.   She released her hold on them and then quickly stepped to one side.

“Um, now wait a moment…” Aedric spoke up, but the Priest ignored him and continued.

“Yesh Silimherum, the Merciful and Holy One, has ordained this day and has spoken directly unto me and my brothers, as well as Queen Mathlyn!   Hear ye, all of you the words of Yesh Silimherum!”

 

The Priest came forward and placed a hand on both Aedric and Snoe’s heads.   They looked up at the man, feeling a strange tingle of power pass through them at his touch.   Both of them knew it was the spirit of Yesh.

“Thus sayeth the Merciful One:   Aedric, son of Naella, thou art a Paladin faithful unto me.   Behold, I have brought thee unto thy mother’s people and hast given unto you the crown of thy grandfather.   It is my will that thou shalt ascend to the throne of the Sylvan people and to rule.   Thou sayeth in thy heart that thou lacketh wisdom, but behold, I shall guide thee and uphold thee if thou shalt trust in me.”

 

The Priest paused, waiting for an answer.   Aedric looked deep into the Sylvan priest’s brown eyes and knew at once that everything he had spoken came from God.

“I shall do as my Lord asks of me.”

 

The Priest smiled, “Therefore, by the authority of Yesh Silimherum, the Merciful One, I do hereby consecrate thee Aedric the first, Rex Silvarum!   Rule ye this people with fairness and truth, and be thou guided by the hand of the Merciful One.”

The Priest motioned for him to kneel and he quickly complied, as a second Priest raised the crown of the Sylvan Elves over his head, then sat it upon his head.   Aedric felt a surge of electricity fill him.    He was in Yesh’s will.

 

The first priest bowed before him and then turned and stepped back, allowing the third priest to come forth.   He raised his hands heavenward and spoke, “Thus also sayeth Yesh Silimherum: Behold Aedric, King of the Sylvan, I have given unto thee Snoe, daughter of Eleazar, King of Marksylvania, as thy wife-“

“Hold on there a moment!” He raised his hand to stop the priest, but the man continued on in a loud voice as if he didn’t hear him.

“It is she that has been ordained to be thy partner and helpmate and to wear the crown as thy Queen.”

“Stop right there!”  Aedric moved forward holding his hand up in priest’s face, “Lady Snoe has a say in this and -“

 

The Priest turned to Snoe, “Yesh sayeth this unto thee, Snoe; It is I, Yesh, who ordains the future, who dispels all fear and giveth all blessings-“

“Stop this right now!”   Aedric tried to exert some authority to keep the embarrassing situation from further unnerving the girl.   He couldn’t believe how forceful the priests were.   Surely Yesh would not desire such actions!

 

Finally the priests seemed to hear him, “Your Majesty, we are not trying to upset your lady.   We are merely presenting what Yesh has told us to say!”

 

The first priest turned back to Snoe and picked up where the other priest had left off, “Thou shalt be the Queen of the Sylvan people and the wife of the King.   Yet if thou art fearful or hesitant, it is given unto you the freedom to reject all of this.   For it is my will that thou shalt this day be joined in marriage, though thou art young, for the stabilization of the Sylvan kingdom.   But the freedom to decide is yours, and thy decision shall be accepted without reproach.   Ponder thy decision.”

“She doesn’t need to ponder anything!” Aedric nearly shouted, “She doesn’t want this nor does she deserve to be humiliated like this!”

 

He turned to her, “Tell them, Snoe - I won’t stand here and let you be harassed like this.   It isn’t right!”

 

Snoe’s eyes were as wide as a pair of full moons.   She glanced from Aedric into the crowd and caught the eyes of her parents who stood there in disbelief.   Then her glance came back to Aedric and the priests that he was opposing.

 

“Alright.” She finally said and her simple reply confused both Aedric and the Priests, who looked at each other, uncertain if she was agreeing to marry Aedric or was agreeing to stop it.

 

Aedric leaned in close to her, to clarify, “So you’re telling them you won’t be treated like this?”

 

The girl took a deep nervous breath and said timidly, “No, I’m saying alright to Yesh.   If it is his will that I should marry you today, I’ll do it.”

 

Aedric was once again speechless and just stared dumbly at her for a long moment, then in panic spun to see the Dullerms’ reaction, fully expecting their wrath.

 

To his bewilderment, both of her parents did not look mad, but what he would have to classify as slightly unsure, mixed with a hint of nervous approval.   It was not the response he had anticipated.

“Snoe, you don’t have to do this!” He said in a whisper to her.

 

She smiled shyly, “Actually, I think we both do.  I’m sorry, Aedric.”

“You’re sorry?!   Snoe, my heavens, I’ve really messed up your life now!   For heaven’s sake, girl, run while you can!   Run!”

 

She gave him her usual shy, downcast smile and reached out to once again take his hand.   Her hand was clammy and trembled, but she said in a clear voice to the priests, “I will obey Yesh.   I agree to marry Aedric.”

 

A roar of approval filled the area all around them.   Aedric looked down at the lovely albino girl, terrified that she had now suddenly become his bride.     The priests took the crown that had been Mathlyn’s own and held it up to show the people, “Behold, the crown of the Queen of the Sylvan!   It is ordained that later this very day, it will rest upon the head of a new queen!   Glory to Yesh the Merciful!”

 

“Snoe” Aedric whispered to her as the crowd cheered and praised Yesh, “I know you don’t want to do this!  Please don’t do this just for me.”

 

“Don’t be scared.” She whispered back to him, “We’ll get through this together.”

Surprisingly, her words comforted him.

 

***

In another place, a tall handsome Drow man watched the scene by scrying device and smiled.   He had to wait to act until they were married, but before it was too late.   Much depended on the timing, so Khord sat and waited, his teleportation helm at the ready.

 

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ack! Why did I have to read through your other books so quickly? Haha! I look forward to the next chapter...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Elina, it will arrive tomorrow afternoon for your reading pleasure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Added on May 24, 2014
Last Updated on May 24, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, romance, Marksylvania


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis