Heaven Sent

Heaven Sent

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Alleania's group receives help from a completely unexpected source.+

"

42.

Heaven Sent

 

In a timeless place of perfection, where the presence of God flowed powerfully and completely, there was a sense of concern.   Yet it did not come from the heart of God, but one of those who dwelt here with Him.

Immediately he that was troubled in this perfect place was in the presence of God, to give an explanation.  

A familiar place was chosen for the meeting, a pastoral setting that both deeply loved.

“Why are you troubled, Drake?”   Yesh asked the wizard.

“Lord, you know of course why I am, and I am sorry that I cannot stop being concerned about those in Northmarch.   It seems that they have such an improbable task ahead of them.”

“But not impossible, Drake.”

“Yes, Lord.   Still, many may die, and what if they were to fail?   What troubles me most, Lord, are those in the Underdark.   They do not realize just how invincible the Dragon is, with the Gem of the Oscinate around his neck.   Even if Alleania does agree to attempt to steal it from him, Mazzikim’ruhin will certainly prevent it.   She is not immune to Dragon fire, Lord.   If she snatches the Gem, he will breathe on her and she’ll be forced back to her coffin for several days.”

“Also, even if they do get the Gem off of the Dragon, he will still destroy everything in sight.   I doubt they will think of the only way to stop him on their own.   They’ll try to find a weak spot in his armor, or blind him with arrows, but that won’t stop him.”

“So you wish to provide the information to them to defeat the Dragon?”   Yesh asked him.

“Yes, but not just provide it, Lord, and not through The Watchers.   I don’t want them endangered either.   Sophia is growing close to the time of the birth of her babies and if she or Khord were killed, it would devastate the survivor.   The others are too important to risk.   I am proposing that you allow me to go to Synomenia in person, for the purpose of not just telling them how to kill the Dragon, but to actually do it myself.”

“Drake, you know that no one leaves Heaven and goes back to Synomenia or to Flux.   There is just one chance at life.”

“Yes, but Lord, he that killed both Kinzer and me was not of Synomenia either.   We were sent to assist because the Necromancer’s Guild had summoned a personification of Death that was invincible.   I argue that my death was unnatural, just as Torvus Messorem was also unnatural here.”

Yesh shook his head and smiled, “Drake, that is a very weak argument - many things in Synomenia are unnatural, but all that the Sidhe created is allowed there.”

“I know, Lord, but Torvus was not really alive at all - so why would he be allowed to exist in Synomenia, as he does not really live, nor have a soul?   He is not really even a demon, he is more of a machine or a weapon than anything.   He ‘lives’ to kill.   Since he is not alive and not natural, he should not have been there and therefore my death was unfair.”

Yesh laughed, still shaking his head, “You have spent considerable time working out this argument.”

“Yes, and that is why you sensed the discord.   I am certainly not unhappy, Lord, but I honestly think I should be allowed to go back and help by killing this Dragon.     If I die, it will be no loss.”

“But then, in the future, will you not again think that your intervention is needed?”

“Lord, you know my mind and heart better than I do.”

“I do indeed, Drake.   So here is what I am going to do.   You shall be sent back to help them, but not as who you were.   There is a Drow wizard in Hor’olorbb who is named Devin the Black.   He is the second most powerful wizard in the city and has no allegiance to any noble house.”

“He was quite evil and labored to summon and control demons to do his bidding.   Before the invaders reached Hor’olorbb, he was attempting to dominate a demon and force him to fight against the humanoid army that he knew would soon besiege his city.”

“But when the Gem of the Oscinate reached the outskirts of Hor’olorbb, the magic that protected him from the demon was neutralized and the fiend attacked him in spirit form.   The demon brutally destroyed his mind and then fled back to Hell.”

“Devin sits in his wrecked study in the Tower of Wizardry in Hor’olorbb, with no mind except for very basic bodily functions.   Tonight he will die without anyone knowing it due to his mental injuries.   His soul has departed his body and was cast into Hell due to his evilness, yet his physical body lives, for a few more hours.”

“I shall allow your soul to take his body.   You shall have a very limited knowledge of who you were and will remember nothing of Flux or of Heaven, except what I deem you should know.   You will know only the spells that Devin knew, but will be able to learn more if you have time.   You will not be allowed to tell anyone any of what limited knowledge I will allow you to have of your life as Drake.”

“However, you will remember your idea on how to stop the Dragon and will know where to find Alleania’s group.   But I make one more condition to this:   You will be required to lead one who does not believe in me to come to faith in me.    You are not responsible for their decision, only for presenting who I am to them and encouraging them to believe in me.   When you die, you will come back here and then your other memories and knowledge will return.”

Drake thought about the conditions only for a moment before agreeing, “I have always been fascinated by the Drow, anyway.”

“Now you shall have an opportunity to help them and to save at least one of their souls.    Understand, Drake, that this will be a one time chance to do this.   I will not allow this to occur again, regardless of the outcome.    Do I make myself very clear?”

“Yes, Lord.   Thank you for this unique opportunity.”

“It is because of my desire for those in Synomenia to be saved that I will bend the rule this time.    I will be with you, when you put your trust in me.   Remember that, Drake.”

“I will, Lord.” He replied and then he simply vanished.

 

***

In a dark and eerie wizard’s study, Devin’s eyes opened and he blinked a few times, dazed and confused who he was or what had happened.   The room had been wrecked and was littered with broken potion bottles, ripped spell books and the ashes of burnt scrolls.    He sat there for a few moments, clearing his mind, and then, though the details were uncertain, he knew what he had to do.

“House Ar’Rilla” He spoke aloud, slowly getting to his feet, “I need to find House Ar’Rilla.”

 


To be continued in "A Sovereign Hope" coming to Writer's Cafe, on September 15th, 2014

 

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

And now the long wait...I look forward to the next installment.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

I'm going to try to get the next book done before my self-imposed deadline of September 1st. I ten.. read more
Elina

9 Years Ago

You are most welcome! It has truly been my pleasure to read them.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on June 11, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, fantasy, knights, adventure, wizards, swords and sorcery, Westmark, Marksylvania


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis