Fugitives: Chapter 2

Fugitives: Chapter 2

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

     Miss Madina breezed into the kitchen. She was in her seventeenth year, and one of the most beautifulest creatures that I had ever seen. She was between tiny and medium height, with long, golden curls, and red, red lips. Her wide blue eyes matched her low-cut fancy dress, and her black eyelashes stood out. Her eyebrows were just a thin, black line, and there was not one blemish on her perfect skin. Boys' eyes followed her everywhere, and she had a number of suiters that came to the house, but each went away, disappointed. She liked to play hard-to-get, and the boys went crazy in her presence.

    She regarded me imperiously, and told me in a lofty voice, “Father wants you to make dinner for him and his guests tonight. He is having Lord Rueben and his wife, with a very special visitor, so you must put on your best meal, and make it the most fanciest you have ever made. Everything must be perfect.” She leaned into my face. She smelled like lilies. “Do you understand, slave? Or must I speak slower and louder for you to comprehend what I'm saying?”

    My face flaming, I curtsied and replied, “No, Miss Madina. I understand.”

    “Good.” She swept out of the room.

    I slowly put down the broom and went to find Jineya, who was hanging up the wash. I relayed Miss Madina's orders to her, and she sent me off with a list to fetch from the garden and the pantry.

    I have been here four months, and have thought every day about my mother and the last time I saw her. I have been thinking about what my mother told me, to flee to Lythel. Slaves were free in Lythel. I knew that my father had tried to reach Lythel, to try to make a better home for us, but was captured and killed.

    As I was collecting the gold china to set the dining table, Master Will meandered in. “Daddy says that you are to serve us tonight,” he informed me pompously.

    Shocked, I curtsied. “Yes, Master Will.” His eyes shining, Master Will straightened up and marched from the room. Stiffening laughter, I went back to setting the dining table. My laughter fell away as I wondered why I was specifically chosen to serve. I never served with visitors there before.

    I dressed in a nice plain dress, and tied a clean apron over it. Nervously, I waited by the door to the dining room, which was connected to the kitchen. I heard the clinking of glasses, and the dull talk, and the occasional full-belly laugh from Lord Rueben, and Lady Lasarythe's high-pitched one. Master Taraketh's voice could be heard, becoming louder and louder as the meal progressed. Master Will, who was seven, was trying to make comments that made him seem very smart. I puzzled over this. He wouldn't normally do this for a Lord and Lady. I could hear Miss Madina flirting shamelessly, and a low voice answering, but I couldn't tell who it was.

    Jineya nodded to the door, and I knew that I was to serve now. Taking a deep breath, I went in, carrying a pot ladened with a cream of carrots soup. Tyauna, another slave, followed with another soup, an exotic one that I didn't know.

    Everyone looked up as Tyauna and I entered. Lord Rueben was very fat, and his meaty face was red from the wine. Lady Lasarythe was sallow-skinned, with dead-looking grey hair and dull eyes. Master Taraketh, dressed in nice clothes, gave me a warning glance as if I might start something. Master Will looked up eagerly at the sight of more food, while Miss Madina gave me a disdainful look before returning to her companion.

    My blood ran cold when I saw who it was, and I hesitated in my step. There, sitting between Miss Madina and Lord Rueben, was Prince Esryn himself. His hair was neatly combed, and he wore a nice red tunic, with his family's crest on it. Red was the royal color here in Dermen, our slave country. His white scar stood out, and his cold blue eyes surveyed me.

    Astonishment later, I told myself. Do my job first. I went to Master Taraketh first, offering the soup. He declined, but accepted Tyauna's soup. Lord Rueben took helpings of both, while Lady Lasarythe politely declined both soups. Master Will eagerly watched as we ladeled servings of both soups on his plate, and immediately tucked in as we finished. Miss Madina declined Tyauna's soup, but had a dainty serving of cream of carrot. Finally, I had to serve Prince Esryn.

    He accepted my soup, and watched my face as I ladeled soup in his bowl. I tensed, waiting for him to speak to me, but stayed silent. I was relieved when Tyauna and I were finished, and back in the kitchen.

    Once I was out of sight and earshot of the dining room, and in the kitchen, I ran to Jineya, and started sobbing. She stroked my hair. “Oh, Kya. What's wrong?”

    “It's him,” I sobbed. “Prince Esryn. He's here.”

    “Of that which is sacred,” Jineya murmured, appalled.

    I looked up, my eyes pleading. “I'm scared, Jineya.”

    “Did he say anything to you?” I shook my head. “Tell me what happened back at the slave auction with him.” I told her, and she shook her head. “Maybe he is really kind at heart and was just keeping his promise to see if you were alright. Maybe not. But he didn't speak with you, so I think that there is nothing to be afraid of.” Her words of wisdom soothed me, and I went back to help preparing dessert, but did not serve again.



© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on May 8, 2011
Last Updated on May 8, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing