Fugitives: Chapter 5

Fugitives: Chapter 5

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

     Someone shook me awake. Blinking open my eyes, I saw Cadalyn standing over me. “Kya, listen. You have to come with me and be quiet, for fear of your life,” she whispered. Duryis was across the room, waking a dark-haired boy with tan, tan skin. I guessed him to be Elijah.

    Elijah and I followed Cadalyn and Duryis down the stairs, and toward the bookshelf. She swung it outward, to reveal a hidden room, which had a couple of straw mattresses and quilts. Kielle was already sitting on one, staring off into space, with a tiny candle next to her.

    “Slavecatchers are searching this place high and low for you, Kya,” Cadalyn whispered. “Looks like whoever you escaped from is high and mighty.”

    Elijah and I sat on the mattresses. “Don't come out until I tell you, and don't make a sound if you hear other voices other than Duryis's and mine.” She swung the bookcase closed.

    “You're Elijah, I'm guessing,” I murmured to him.

    He nodded. “You're Kya?”

    “Yeah. Who did you escape from?”

    He shrugged. “A man named Rymon. Far, far to the south of here. I'm trying to reach Lythel. Who did you escape from?”

    “Taraketh. Well, he was selling me, and another slave called Aizel heard about it, and told me, so I ran. I'm so afraid of who was buying me, so I ran.”

    “Who was buying you? From what Miss Cadalyn said...” he trailed off, and we both stared at Kielle, who was rocking and crying silently.

    I gathered her onto my lap, and rocked her gently, and she cried harder. In her hands she held a book.

    Elijah noticed the same time I did. “What do you think it is?” he murmured.

    “I don't know, but don't touch it. It seems to be calming her down.” It was true. As she clutched the book to her, she became calmer.

    Elijah yawned and layed back, and was soon asleep. I gently put Kielle down and layed down beside her, one arm over her.

    A little while later, voices shook me out of my sleep. I had blown the candle out as we layed down, and now I listened in the darkness. I felt Elijah lift his head, and Kielle stiffen in my grasp. I put a finger over her lips, and she relaxed, snuggling into me.

    One of the voices I didn't recognize. It was gruff and low. “Have you seen a young girl, 'bout fourteen years, with gold hair? She went an' escaped Taraketh's farm las' night, and we've been searching fer her.”

    “A slave? No, I'm sorry,” I heard Cadalyn reply.

    “Are you sure?” a cold voice asked, and I stiffened, my heart thumping against my chest. “Do you know who I am?”

    In the little shafts of light filtering into the room, I saw the movement as Elijah turned to look at me. 

    “No, can't say that I do, sir,” Cadalyn replied.

    “I am Prince Esryn, prince of Dermen.” I saw the movement as Elijah stiffened, and Kielle's head snapped up, and I quickly put a hand over her mouth. She layed against me, tensely.

    There were murmured exclamations from Cadalyn, and then Prince Esryn spoke again. “So I ask you now, once more, have you seen this slave?”

    “No, Your Highness,” Cadalyn replied steadily, not a quiver in her voice.

    “Inform us if you do, immediately.” That was the gruff voice person. A second later, I heard the door open, and footsteps going out, and then the crunch of gravel and dirt outside. Then the door closed, and all was silent.

    I could hear Duryis and Cadalyn murmuring to each other, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. As soon as Elijah deducted it was quiet, he turned to me. “Well, I can see why you ran.” His voice was full of respect, fear, and attempted humor.

    To my shame, my eyes filled up with tears, and I started crying softly. Elijah hesitated, then reached over and patted my arm, and Kielle put a hand on my face. Her face was white with fear, and her eyes, which had been blank before, were wide with horror.

    “Kielle? Where did you come from?” I whispered.

    “I came from the palace,” she replied, in an eerie high voice. “I am Princess Kielle, princess of Dermen. Prince Esryn is my evil older brother.”



© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on May 8, 2011
Last Updated on May 8, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing