Fugitives: Chapter 11

Fugitives: Chapter 11

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

Mister Lemuel, the old man, had lent us some of his many horses. The weakest and the sickest and the children rode on them. Kielle rode on a horse, with a young boy called Jay. Elijah and I walked beside the gentle young bay horse, and guided it. We stayed quiet, though no one told us to. There was an urgency in the air that could be sensed by all.

    Some men had gone to scout. They came scrambling back, just as we reached a crossroad, and raced toward where Zeric and Razel were, Razel walking in a stony silence.

    “It's him! Esryn, sirs! He's not an hour behind us, and closing rapidly!” one of them, a young man called Wilmur, gasped. We all froze, murmuring in fear. We were so close to being caught, and put back into slavery.

    Someone needed to hold them up, to delay them, to fool them into the wrong direction. Someone who would capture their attention, who would delay them for a while. Someone who they were searching for.

    Someone like me.

    I looked around. Weary men, women, and children were all around me, runaway slaves, searching for a better life. And, because of me, Prince Esryn was about to take that away. If I let myself be caught, Esryn would abandon the search, and these fugitives would be safe.

    I handed Elijah the knapsack, containing Kielle's book, and pushed my way to where Razel and Zeric was. They were in a hurried discussion, and people around us were whimpering in fear.

    “I'll do it,” I said, but no one heard me. Raising my voice, I cried, “I'll do it! I'll delay them, to buy you all enough time to get away.” That got their attention. They all turned to look at me.

    “Out of the question,” Razel said firmly. “We stick together.” Zeric was silent.

    I glared at Razel. “It's me Prince Esryn is after. If I let myself get caught, then Esryn will stop looking, and all of you will be safe.”

    Razel shook his head. “No, I'm afraid not. You are still just a young girl.”

    I turned to look at Zeric. “Zeric. Please. I can help these people, and it's not like I can't escape again. There will be another opportunity for me to escape. Please. Let me help. This is all my fault. Esryn would not be searching for all of you if it wasn't for me.”

    Zeric played with his mustache. His wife, Ayslia, stared at him in disbelief. “Zeric, you couldn't possibly be thinking of granting this child's request!”

    Zeric didn't answer, and turned to Wilmur. “How far did you say they were?”

    “An hour away,” Wilmur answered.

    Zeric sighed. “Ayslia, she is not a child anymore. Kya has the right to make her own decisions, and I am not her parent. I have no right to say no to her over her own decision. If Kya is willing to stay and buy us some time to get away, so be it.”

    My insides flooded with relief. “Thank you, Zeric. You all better move out.”

    Razel looked like he wanted to argue more, but held his tongue. Instead, he caught me in a hug. “Take care of yourself,” he murmured.

    Ayslia pulled me into a tight embrace. “You don't let that prince bully you, now,” she announced.

    I turned to find Methisia standing behind me. “Your mother would'da been proud,” she murmured, hugging me.

    I walked back to where Elijah and Kielle were. “What's going on?” Elijah demanded.

    I took a deep breath. “I'm staying here.”

    He stared at me. “What?

    “I've got to buy time for you to get away. It's me Esryn is after; he doesn't want you all.”

    Elijah shook his head. “That is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life.” He hesitated. “And possibly also the most bravest,” he added quietly. He put his arms around me, and I hugged him back.

    Kielle stared at me in sorrow as I knelt down next to her. “You're leaving,” she accused.

    I nodded. “I'm sorry, Kielle. Your evil brother is after us all. If I stay behind, then you all will be safe.” I hesitated. “Especially you. You can't be caught again.”

    Her eyes filled with tears. “Miss you,” she whispered. I squeezed her gently, and she threw her arms around me.

    “Don't worry. Elijah will take care of you,” I whispered.

    I gently disentangled myself from her. She reached into her little bag and took out a necklace. It wasn’t a fancy necklace, just a piece of wood with a beautifully crafted bird on it. I noticed that she was wearing a similar one.

“For me?” I asked, and she nodded.

I smiled and tied the necklace around my neck. It made me love that sweet little girl all the more. I gave her one last hug and turned to Elijah, who was covering up his tears. “I'll take care of her, and raise her like a sister,” he told me, his voice thick.

    The train of people had started to move, and Elijah led Kielle's horse to catch up. I stayed behind, watching until they were out of sight.



© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on May 10, 2011
Last Updated on May 10, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing