Fugitives: Chapter 16

Fugitives: Chapter 16

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

A couple weeks later I was in a good sized cave with some of my friends, eating, when Asher burst in the cavern. His eyes sought me out, and he quickly appeared beside me. “Kya, I need you to come with me,” he said urgently.

    I abandoned my meal immediately and followed Asher out of the cavern. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Drake stand up, from where he was eating alone, and follow us.

    A couple minutes later we were in Asher's office. That title was too technical, because he just studied maps and stored information in there. He stood in the center of the room, and faced me. I was standing by the door. “Prince Esryn has returned.”

    I stiffened, but he continued. “And he is not alone. He has brought his uncle, General Deveron. They stopped at Mister Lemuel's farm.”

    My mouth opened with horror. I could see where this was heading. “Naya...” I whispered.

    Asher nodded in sorrow. “They've been captured again,” he said softly.

    Fire burned inside of me. “I need to save her!” I growled. “I need to!”

    Asher shook his head fiercely. “Kya, no! You can't! You'd be captured by him!” We both blinked. The word overprotective was whispered into my mind.

    “Why? Why would they stop at Mister Lemuel's farm?” I whispered. “How would they have known?”

    Asher looked old and grim. “A spy. There must be a spy here,” he said. “I trust all of you...” He trailed off, staring at me. My eyes had widened, and I tensed.

    “I know who it is!” I gasped, but it was too late. Drake came out of nowhere, and grabbed me by the arms, pinning them behind my back with one hand, and with the other holding a curved, jagged knife and placing it at my throat.

    Asher started to lunge forward, but Drake hissed, “No! She dies if you make a move!” Asher stopped in his tracks. Drake shifted position and smiled grimly. “Well, well.”

    “Let...her...go,” Asher hissed through gritted teeth.

    Drake shook his head, his eyes never leaving Asher's face. “I don't think so. You see, Prince Esryn is paying me quite a large sum of money for her.”

    Asher's eyes went black, and his lips curled around his teeth. “Do you really think I'll let you escape this place alive?” he asked softly.

    Drake considered that. “I don't think that there will be a problem, since I have the love of your life,” he said seriously.

    Something along the lines of panic flashed in Asher's eyes. “Drake. Don't do this.”

    “Goodbye, Ashy-boy,” Drake told him. “See you in Hell.”

    There was a pounding of footsteps, and members of the Rebellion suddenly appeared in the doorway, Lark in the lead. Drake stiffened.

    “Looks like another change of plans,” Asher said softly.

    Drake hissed between his teeth. “Perhaps you're right,” he said. In the space of a second he lifted the knife from my throat and plunged it into my chest. At first, it didn't register. Then, pain exploded throughout my body. I let out a tiny gasp, and crumpled to the floor. The last thing I remember hearing was Asher's roar of fury as he attacked Drake.



© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on May 10, 2011
Last Updated on May 10, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing