The Team: Chapter 5

The Team: Chapter 5

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

Alia


   I sat in the back of math class, while Mr. Jordan was excitedly explaining a problem on algebra. It's funny how he can get all worked up about math. Realizing that he was getting too far into the problem, Mr. Jordan grinned sheepishly. “Oh, sorry. Please take out your homework so I can come around and check it.”

   I pulled a piece of paper out of my notebook, and sat, staring off into space. Mr. Jordan eventually came around to me.

   “Alia,” he said, looking at me. I know what he must see. A small girl with black hair and dark eyes. One who speaks only when spoken to. Who does not interact with anyone. Who does not speak in class. One who is invisible.

   “Do you have your homework?” I showed it to him. He wrote it down in his book. “Okay, any questions?” He looked at me expectantly. I shook my head. His mouth twitched.

   I realized that I don't think he has ever heard me speak. His next question confirmed it. “How long do you think that it took you?” I don't think he's asked anyone else that question.

   Hm. Should I talk to him, or should I not? Questions, questions. Endless seas full of dark questions, unsolved mysteries, frightening secrets. One could be easily swept away in the endless seas. Only if you have sure footing, but even sure footing will eventually give way. You must have a boat. A sturdy boat that will guide you to the other side. I do not have a boat. I have sure footing. When my sure footing gives way, I will swim. I am a strong swimmer, a strong survivor. I will survive.

   Realizing that Mr. Jordan was still waiting for an answer, I shrugged. He started to look impatient. “Why don't you give me a time frame?”

   My mouth twitched, and I'm pretty sure that my eyes betrayed my amusement. I quickly looked down while Mr. Jordan blushed and moved on.

   The fire alarm rang. Mr. Jordan looked startled, then sighed. “Fire drill, everyone! Forgot to tell you. Everyone move in an orderly fashion to the door....”

   I sighed, got up, and walked with the rest of the people to the door, then ducked down an empty passageway and hid at the end of some lockers.

   The school was quiet, with everyone outside. I sat down, and put my head in my knees. Dark, frightening images swirled up, and I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to make them go away....

   “What are you doing?” a quiet, rich voice asked. I looked up to see a tall junior. What was his name? Oh, Cy.

   “I could ask you the same question,” I replied.

   We were like that for a second or two. Then he opened his notebook and looked at something. “I don't really understand where you fit in in the social status.”

   I stared. Of all the questions that he had caught from the sea! Choosing my words very carefully, I said, “I am the solitary type.” I raised an eyebrow as a though occurred to me. “As are you.”

   He also raised his eyebrow. “Hm.” He made a mark in his notebook, then closed it.

   “So what now?” I asked, standing up. Not that it made much difference. I wasn't even five feet.

   He looked down at me. “I will get back to you on that.” He turned and walked off.

   I blinked. “That was only slightly creepy.” I turned and joined my class as they filed inside the classroom.

   Mr. Jordan looked harrased. “Alia! Where were you?”

   I shrugged, then decided to cut the guy a break. “I was there the whole time,” I said, watching with amusement as Mr. Jordan jumped.

   As Mr. Jordan unsteadily began the lesson again, I pondered my peculiar conversation with Cy. What did he mean, he'd get back to me?



© 2011 Eva Sirois


Author's Note

Eva Sirois
As you can kinda tell, she's mostly going to be the protagonist in the story

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on June 25, 2011
Last Updated on June 25, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing