The Team: Chapter 7

The Team: Chapter 7

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

Lance


   I go to a locker that Cy pointed out. I opened it, and a small freshman blinked at the sudden harsh light. I offered my hand, but he tumbled out on his own.

   He backed away, his hands held up defensively. I was surprised he could even move. “No! I'm sorry!”

   “Miles,” I said, holding up my hands in a gesture of peace. “It's fine. I'm a friend.”

   Miles glared at me suspiciously, his eyes wild. “Since when has a senior befriended a freshman? Especially a computer geek?”

   “Since now.” I held out my hand. “Miles, I can make Brock and Jensen stop bullying you, but I need your help and the help of four others.”

   “Why me?” Miles asked.

   “Because you're a victim. And you're the best there is at computers.” I knew that would soften him, and I'm right, of course.

   “So...” He hesitated. “Okay. Fine.”

   I smile great. “Great.”


   The sophmore drama girl, Kessa, had her head bent over a homework paper. I sauntered up. “Got kicked out of drama, huh?”

   She looked up, her cowgirl hat falling back. Her eyes were a deep green. “So what?”

   I sat down across from her. “You are the best around here at drama. Why did they kick you out?”

   She shrugged. “Mr. Flynn is jealous at my ability. That's why.” Kessa suddenly realized who she was talking to. She gasped. “Wait, what do you want?”

   I looked at her in the eye. “Kessa, I want you to join my team. I can't think of anyone else that has half the ability of yours.”

   Kessa looked flattered. “Well, who are you?”

   I smiled. “Lance. What do you say?”

   Kessa shrugged. “Sure, I guess.”

   I smiled again. “Great!”


   Julian, a sophmore, was in the library, in the way back, surrounded by bookshelves. He was bending over lots of ripped papers, trying to copy them down with his left hand. His right arm was in a sling, there was dried blood on his shirt.

   “Julian?” I asked. He looked up. His nose was at a strange angle, and he had a large black eye.

   “What?” he asked warily.

   I shrugged. “I just wanted to know if you were okay.”

   “Who are you?”

   I bowed. “Lance at your service.”

   He stared. “You're a senior, aren't you?” He immediately grew rigid. “Leave me alone!”

   I sat down and studied what he was recreating. “You're into history, aren't you?”

   He grew even more tense. “God, just leave me alone! I won't be used!”

   I looked up in puzzlement. “What? What do you mean?”

   His faraway blue eyes held fire and hurt in them. “I won't be used by you! I won't do your homework, so go away!”

   I studied him carefully, and realized that he was also talking to those seniors that had beat him up. “Julian,” I said carefully, “I don't want you to do my work for me. I would never ask that of you.”

   He started to calm down, but still looked wary. “Then what do you want?”

   I met his gaze steadily. “To get back at the people who did this to you.” I gestured to his papers and injuries.

   Julian still looked wary. “How do I know that you're telling the truth?”

   “Why would I lie?” When Julian didn't answer, I said, “Have you ever seen me in the halls? Have I ever conversed with a snobby kid before?”

   He cocked his head to one side. “I've actually never seen you before, so I wouldn't know.”

   I looked at him. “Julian, I am creating a team to stop the bullies of our school. I want you to be in it.”

   “Why?” he asked.

   I looked at him, deciding something that I had never told anyone before. “Because I was a victim, too. I know what you're going through. Please, trust me.”

   Julian was silent for a long moment. “Fine. I'll join your team.”

   I smiled. “Great.” I got up and started to leave, but stopped. “Oh, and Julian?” He looked up, and I smiled. “We will get your revenge. I promise.”


   I had no idea where to find Sonya, the animal-obsessed girl, so I started to head to Cy, thinking he might know. I was about halfway to Cy, when I heard sobbing in an abandoned hallway, so I went to investigate. A girl with Native American background was crying. She had a round face, black hair, and black eyes, which were filled with tears. My heart gave a twinge.

   “Are you okay?” I asked. She stiffened, and stared at me like a wild rabbit in sight of its predator.

   “Are you Sonya?” I asked, and she gave a quick, terrified nod. I smiled. “I'm Lance. I'm not going to hurt you. Here.” I took a tissue out of my pocket and handed it to her. “Blow,” I instructed.

   Sonya warily took the tissue, but blew anyway. “You're a senior.”

   I shrugged. “You're a freshman.”

   “I know, but why are you....” She trailed off, but I knew what she meant. Why would anyone help anyone else, because it was different. It made you stand out. In Sakom High, that was a dangerous thing.

   “Because what goes on in our school is wrong,” I said quietly. “I want to change the balance of things.”

   Sonya's black eyes searched my face, and began to relax, slightly. “Why me?”

   I shrugged. “You're a victim. You know more about animals than anyone else in this town. You'd be a valuable asset to the team.”

   “What team?”

   “A team that I'm creating to stop the bullies,” I replied.

   Sonya grimaced. “Fine. I accept.” She stared down, clenching the tissue. “This better not be a joke.”

   I shook my head, and stood up. “No.” I put a hand on her head, before walking out of the corridor and to my next class.



© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on June 25, 2011
Last Updated on June 25, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing