Gabe - Seven

Gabe - Seven

A Chapter by emily

Gabe

 

            After our weekend, it was tough getting back to classes on Monday. Everyone seemed to have gotten over the awkward scrap between Jim and Erich the day before. We woke up in our usual order and got dressed extra slowly, trudging to breakfast at a listless pace, communicating with each other using a maximum of one syllable at a time.

            First period was hell. I was usually the one in charge of waking the other guys up. But I had grown up in England, and I had been hearing about British History since I was born. So we took turns slapping each other awake (it took two of us to wake up Erich once he started snoring) and taking the notes while the professor wrote maniacally on the blackboard.

            Economics, second period, was no better. Erich and I ended up paired off together to discuss the pros and cons of capitalism. Instead we debated whether the female professor was attractive (he said yes, I said no).

For as badly as we had hit it off, the two of us were actually starting to get along. But as I listened to him spew comments about broads, I couldn’t help but remember the last time I let down my guard around a guy I thought I could trust. I had to remind myself that I could never let that happen again, though I somehow doubted I would ever find myself in such a situation with someone like Erich.

            Unfortunately, I had an unlucky schedule change during lunch. Erich and I were just sitting down when Jim and Hersch showed up, grinning widely.

            “What are you two smiling about?” Erich asked with his mouth full.

            “No Geography of Africa today,” Hersch smiled, “showers again.”

            “Again?” I groaned. I couldn’t hide the strain in my voice. The shower itself was bad enough, but having to miss music class for it was a nightmare.

            They all gave me an odd look. “It’s not that bad,” Jim said, biting off the corner of his sandwich, “damn I’m tired of this food.”

            “Yeah, Moretti,” Erich said, giving me a push, “you didn’t stick around five minutes last time. You need it more than anyone.”

            “I don’t know guys,” I said hesitantly, “I’ve got a lot of stuff to do in third period.”

            “What class do you even have?”

            I bit my lip and racked my brain for a better answer than the truth. “Um… anatomy?” It sounded like a question.

            The look they gave me was obnoxious, but they seemed to believe me. “What the hell are you taking anatomy for?” Jim asked.

            Erich started to laugh before I could answer. “He needs to figure out where to put it when he finally picks up a girl!”

            I scowled. “Shut it, Erich.”

            “Hey, kamerad I’m just messing around,” he punched me in the arm. “But seriously, come shower. You need it more than any of us.”

            I groaned, but I knew I couldn’t drop out again without looking suspicious, and, besides, I was starting to smell like a pig. “Fine,” I said reluctantly. Really, if they wanted me to shower with them, they couldn’t possibly be thinking what I was trying to keep them from thinking.

            We made our way to the shower building, complaining about classes and the general lack of girls in the area. I tried to keep pace with them, but I felt more and more weighed down by the knot in my stomach as we went along.

It seemed like it had taken no time at all by the time we reached the filthy room. The four of us got undressed (all but socks) and stepped into the freezing water. I took a deep breath, turned off my mind, and stripped down.



© 2011 emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Shower time is needed. Not so much in the Winter time. I like how you make each activity and event important. Good conversations and thoughts in this chapter. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 8, 2011
Last Updated on August 8, 2011

Sons of Thunder: Part One


Author

emily
emily

MN



About
Hello all! My name is Emily, I'm 20, I am definitely not at home in this tiny MN town, and soon I will be the most famous author my generation. I go to Barnes and Noble to see where my book will sit .. more..

Writing
Jim - One (Opener) Jim - One (Opener)

A Chapter by emily