Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Jamie Lee

I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about me,” Carlos smiled, revealing a stunning set of pearl-white teeth. Eva felt her cheeks grow red and the hair on her neck prick. No matter how many times they'd been here, doing this same thing, she always felt the same rush and excitement when she first saw him.

 

I'm sorry, Bronne was acting up again,” she thought for a moment. He'd been acting weird lately, going on walks by himself and retreating to his dirty old armchair to write for long hours. His breath was stained with the scent of coffee, and no matter how many time he brushed them, Eva couldn't imagine it ever going away.

 

How is he anyways? I haven't heard from him in a few days, and the last thing we talked about was some manuscript he was almost finished with.”

 

Eva didn't understand Carlos' indifference to the situation. He spoke so freely about Bronne, as if it were perfectly normal that he sleep with his best friend's girlfriend. But he did seem genuinely concerned, so she satisfied his curiosity.

 

He's not well. He's having those dreams again, and I think he has been getting into my pills.” She paused to take a sip of her root beer while Carlos raised his eyebrows at her, “What? Don't look at me like that. I don't take them anymore, I just have some left from when I did.”

 

Those things are the devil, my sweet Eva.” He smiled once again and she felt a wave of calmness wash over her. This was why she loved being with Carlos, he made her feel good about herself. He didn't pull her into a world of sorrow and despite. But she loved Bronne, and he'd always been good to her. She just had commitment problems that she was unsure she was willing to let go yet.

 

Enough of that, what is it you wanted me here for?” He stared into her eyes, his a pair of dark green jades, and leaned forward so that she could smell his Aqua di Gio cologne. She felt her heart speed up and she became restless.

 

You know exactly what I want,” she grinned as she stood, pulling on his hand to bring him with her. “I was thinking this alleyway. If any thugs come, will you protect me officer?” She bit her lip and pulled him toward the exit, completely forgetting about Bronne and her phone.


© 2010 Jamie Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice twist here in the story. I like how you show how Eva is feeling about this situation. You dont make her look like a victim and you dont make her necessarily look horrible either. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Added on December 19, 2010
Last Updated on December 25, 2010


Author

Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee

Santa Cruz, CA



About
I'm just a girl trying to make it as a writer. I write what I know, which isn't a lot, but I am learning. 2011 is all about bettering myself as a writer, and I'll be putting every effort into achievin.. more..

Writing