Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Jamie Lee

Carlos poured himself a small amount of whiskey and leaned against the counter. He shook the glass and listened as the ice-cubes clanked against one another. With his other hand he pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes, inhaling a deep breath. He kept them closed as he brought the glass to his lips, allowing the liquid to burn his throat. Maybe if he drank enough it'd purge him of the sins he'd committed.


He thought back to last summer when the three of them had gone to his lake house. Originally Carlos's girlfriend at the time was supposed to go, but at the last minute she'd had to fly to New York on business. She was always disappearing spontaneously, whether it be for her job or “just because”, as she so often said. That's part of why he liked her so much"she was unpredictable. So unpredictable, in fact, that when she went to Rome on a whim in the fall she'd decided to stay there. That was the ultimate reason they'd broken up but there were other bumps along the road.


He remembered one night at the lake house when Bronne had gone to the store to pick up more liquer and food. He'd promised a “real barbeque”, muttering something about how “rich people didn't know the meaning”. Carlos smiled at the memory"he was always giving him s**t for having money. Eva decided that she wanted to warm her feet in the hot tub and had begged for Carlos to join her. He'd never been awefully attracted to her, but when he'd seen her in that tiny bikini he was overcome with a fiery desire to be with her.


His thoughts were broken when he felt the light vibrations of his cell phone from deep within his pocket. He fished it out and was surprised to see Eva's number flash across the screen. He allowed it to ring a few times before silencing it and placing it on the counter. No more, he decided, and walked away to draw a hot bath.



© 2010 Jamie Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how you are exploring all the characters here. This helps greatly in appreciating this story and makes it more enjoyable.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Added on December 20, 2010
Last Updated on December 25, 2010


Author

Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee

Santa Cruz, CA



About
I'm just a girl trying to make it as a writer. I write what I know, which isn't a lot, but I am learning. 2011 is all about bettering myself as a writer, and I'll be putting every effort into achievin.. more..

Writing