Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Jamie Lee

Eva looked through the sliding glass door to make sure Bronne was still laying in bed before speaking into the phone.


Carlos, it's me. Listen, something has happened with Bronne. I think he took some of my pills, or-- I don't know. When I got here he looked like he was gonna jump off the balcony.” She stared at the skyline, taking in the beauty of it. “I don't know what to do. Call me.” She sighed before slipping the phone into her back pocket.


When she'd left Carlos at the restaurant she'd been certain of one thing�"that she had to end things with Bronne. She wasn't sure what had happened to make Carlos react so strange, but whatever it was made her realize she couldn't do this to Bronne. She'd thought of everything she was going to tell him when she got home--how she hated his so-called 'job', that she was tired of his mood swings, and most of all that she was seeing someone else. She'd never tell him who, but she was exhausted from the charade. Even she couldn't handle the double life anymore, and she was used to it.


But when she'd gotten home and seen him hanging over the balcony edge, crying and yelling hers and Carlos' names, she felt pained. She was terrified that he might jump and when she thought about the idea of losing him she couldn't bare it. All she'd wanted to do was hold him and tell him everything was going to be alright, but when he'd come to his senses he'd shoved her out of the way and locked himself in the bathroom to take a shower.


She sighed and let herself back into the apartment. When she'd gotten home her phone had been on the bed. She was sure he'd gone through it, although it wasn't like him to do something of the sort. She lowered herself onto the bed next to him and waited for him to turn to her. When he didn't, she pulled the blankets away from his face only to discover he wasn't there at all�"it was a body pillow. She looked around the apartment but soon realized he wasn't there. When she moved to get off the bed she heard what sounded like a bottle of pills fall to the ground. After realizing it was much too dark to see anything, she reached across the bed and turned on the side lamp. When her eyes adjusted she searched the floor and saw a small silver box. Curious, she reached for it and heard the familiar sound of pills rattling against one another.


Oh Bronne...” she whispered. She knew he'd had a problem before he'd met her, but she never dreamed he'd relapse back into his old ways. Before she could inspect its contents she felt her phone vibrate. Immediately, she dropped the box and pulled out her phone. She was relieved to see Bronne's number illuminated on the screen.


Where the hell are you, Bron?” She said with exhasperation.


Hello Eva. It's been a while, hasn't it?” She recognized the deep voice on the other end of the line and immediately hung up. How did he find me?




© 2010 Jamie Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story just add more and more layers......I like it! But I hope as a reader i can keep up. :0)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
1 Review
Added on December 20, 2010
Last Updated on December 20, 2010


Author

Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee

Santa Cruz, CA



About
I'm just a girl trying to make it as a writer. I write what I know, which isn't a lot, but I am learning. 2011 is all about bettering myself as a writer, and I'll be putting every effort into achievin.. more..

Writing