Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

A Chapter by Jamie Lee

Bronne felt the floor tilt as the combination of alcohol and this newfound realization hit him. Someone was with Eva, someone dangerous, someone who she said had been following her? Why hadn't she ever said anything to him? He stood, dumbfounded and scared, staring at the phone in his hands. It all seemed so petty now�"the reason he'd walked eighteen blocks to Carlos's house to confront him about his rendevous with Eva. What did that matter in the scheme of everything? Eva was in danger and he felt completely helpless.


Is she alright?” Carlos asked softly, almost as if he were afraid to speak.

No she's not alright, you idiot.”


What happened?” His voice remained even.


Someone's there with her... in the apartment... the last thing I heard was her begging for help--”


Oh my God...” Carlos's voice caught in his throat. “I'll call the police.”


Bronne watched as he disappeared down the hallway before he collapsed to the ground. He buried his face in his hands and allowed himself to shed a few tears before wiping them away with anger. Why would anyone possibly want to hurt her? Sure, she was a pain in the a*s sometimes, but she wasn't capable of hurting a fly. Not physically anyways�"she was a well-seasoned veteran at playing mindgames.


F**k...” Bronne muttered under his breath. How inconsiderate could he be? Here he was, feeling sorry for himself, and some scumbag had his girlfriend doing who knows what. He pounded the floor in angst but flinched when he noticed the pain. Clenching his fists, he brought them back to his face, wanting to scream but refusing to in Carlos's house. That was the last thing he needed�"for him to see his weakness.


He allowed his thoughts to wander to the dream he'd had earlier that night. He'd never been one to analyze dreams, but this one had been different... it'd been so real. It reminded him of his days as an addict, back when he'd first discovered his talent in writing. If that's what you wanted to call it, 'talent'. If only he could find an agent who thought his work was worthy of publishing. Then none of this would have happened�"Eva would have stayed faithful to him, he'd have been able to support her and they'd be living in a beautiful apartment like the one Carlos owned. Then, maybe, she wouldn't need him.


The police are on their way. They're sending someone here for some questions and also someone to your apartment to do a search.” Carlos lowered himself beside Bronne and slung an arm around his shoulder. “It's going to be alright, Bron, we'll find her.”


Bronne laughed at the irony of the situation. “And then what? Then you can continue f*****g her behind my back? Then you can continue to lead your little rendevous with her?” He tried to hide the hurt in his voice, but failed miserably. Why had he left her there alone? He should have stayed there in bed and talked to her about it�"that was his problem, he never actually talked to her about anything.


If I hadn't come here this wouldn't have happened. She'd be fine--”


This isn't your fault, my friend.”


Stop with the friend bullshit Carlos! I'm so sick and tired of this charade. You've been doing this since we were in eighth grade. Remember Katelyn? Sandra? Rose? And now Eva?” He shook his head and tried to push himself up to stand. He was hit with a wave of nausea and lightheadedness.


We aren't friends, Carlos.” And with that Bronne let himself outside to wait for the police to arrive.




© 2010 Jamie Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wild ride! I hope you continue....but only when you are sure of where to do next in the story.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 21, 2010
Last Updated on December 21, 2010


Author

Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee

Santa Cruz, CA



About
I'm just a girl trying to make it as a writer. I write what I know, which isn't a lot, but I am learning. 2011 is all about bettering myself as a writer, and I'll be putting every effort into achievin.. more..

Writing