Too Many Tears Spoil the Broth

Too Many Tears Spoil the Broth

A Chapter by Jules
"

tears and truths :D we learn a lot in this chapter

"

“Don’t even go there mother, we have been very careful.” Noah scowled at her for even thinking it. And they had been careful, so careful they hadn’t done anything. “Now go and speak to some of the other guests, and leave me to comfort my wife.”

She scowled back and pattered off to speak to his sister, Kirsten, while he went up the stairs and knocked lightly on her door. But Khya couldn’t hear him; she’d stripped of her dress and was wallowing in another bath, her eyes closed and tears sliding down her face silently. He pushed the door open timidly and was surprised when she wasn’t in there. The laughter of guests coming down the corridor reached him and he slipped inside the room and closed the door behind him.

“Khya,” he called softly, creeping further into the room. She didn’t appear from anywhere when he called again and he realised that the bathroom door was shut. Sinking down onto her unmade bed he waited for her to come out, trying to contemplate what to say to her. When he’d met her for the first time the day before he’d thought she was simply a pretty, feisty chef but she grew more beautiful and complicated each time he saw her. The bathroom door opened and an exhausted Khya emerged swaddled in a fluffy white towel, her eyes red from crying and her hair trailing down her back damply. She stopped and stared him, eyes welling up again and she turned round and slammed the door shut again.

“Why are you here?” she called her voice breaking, “Do you enjoy seeing me cry?”

“I hate seeing you cry,” Noah replied sitting on the floor, his head resting against the door. “Please tell me about your life, I want to understand why I upset you.”

“I don’t understand why you would even care that you upset me you don’t know me.”

“I count you as a friend since you saved me from my mother, you came to a wedding when I’ve learnt you really don’t like weddings, you’re an excellent cook and you’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. Isn’t that enough?” She didn’t know what to say to that, many of those things had been said to her before but Noah really seemed like he meant it.

“Really Noah?” She managed to force out, pulling the door open an inch and peering out.

“Really Khya.” He snaked a hand through the gap and took hold of her hand tightly. “Please come out now and talk to me.” She nodded reluctantly and they struggled to their feet together and she came out clutching her robe round her tightly. Pulling her to him he held her tightly and let her sob quietly until she stopped. Then he led her to the bed and pushed her down onto it gently.

“Get in, you need to sleep, we’ll talk tomorrow.” She climbed in keeping her dressing gown on for comfort and as he turned to leave, she grabbed his arm and stopped him.

“No, stay, I want to tell you now before I change my mind.” He sat at the foot of the bed crossed legged, lent against the canopy post. “My parents died when I was six, the house was set alight by the sparks of a bonfire. They were both asleep and didn’t realise before it was too late. I was staying at a friend’s house, it was the first time I’d ever been away from home with out my parents and I remember being so excited before I left; now there is nothing I regret more. Don’t get me wrong I don’t wish I had died with them but maybe I could have made a difference. I don’t remember a lot about them but I’ll never forget how much they loved me; they never seemed to fight, but maybe I was too young to notice. Mum always smelt of vanilla, I think that made me go into cooking. Dad seems more distant but I know I got my hair from him.”

“After that I lost track for a while, my life seemed to disappear into a haze of the orphanage. It’s not like the movies at all; it’s impossible to sleep, because of the noise- crying, screaming and shouting all the time, the smell, the people- they were the worst. I’m sure they must have cared once upon a time but time had taken its toll on our carers and the other orphans- lets just say we’re all slightly, if not a lot, disturbed by the past. Being young and pretty I was adopted quickly but as the years went on and I was passed from family to family, I realised that nobody’s love could replace the love my parents had had for me and I couldn’t fill the need the people who adopted me had for children. Realising this scared me and I stopped my self from ever getting too close to anyone who might love me in case I discover that they don’t. I’ve been used to fulfil so many people’s needs and when they’re done they discard me and I won’t be discarded again.”

Her eyes blazed with determination and Noah forced himself to look in her eyes. There was so much passion, love, fears and hope there that he wanted to make sure he could care for her and protect her so badly it scared him.

“I can’t say I understand the things you’ve been through, but I swear I’ll look after you. I can’t promise you love yet but who knows what will grow between us. Think of me as a big brother of sorts.” He regretted the words even as he spoke them, because in no way did he think of her as a sister. But if it meant she would trust him and let him into her life he would say it.

“Thank you Noah, but why?”

“Because my family and friends are important to me. Now get some sleep.” He kissed her chastely on the forehead and quietly left to rejoin the wedding party. Exhausted from crying she fell into a restless sleep almost straight away.



© 2009 Jules


Author's Note

Jules
just be honest :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on September 20, 2009


Author

Jules
Jules

wouldn't you like to know!



About
Hi I'm Jules! i am 19 and have writen seriously since about senior school. i will read literally anything although not erotica and i'm not big on poetry :S i love romance stories and am a sucker f.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jules


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Jules


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Jules