Chapter 4.

Chapter 4.

A Chapter by lilfeather
"

chapter 4...

"
That night Conner found himself lying in bed, staring at the ceiling and listening to his own breathing. The house was too quiet. He'd been lying here for a few hours now, trying to sleep, knowing he was exhausted, but unable to keep his eyes closed.

Dinner had been hard. The awkwardness was what got to him. Not awkward silence at least, because the other boys certainly had stories to tell, but just the fact that he was sitting there with this new family and really had no clue what to think. The whole time he just craved a cigarette, and while having a home cooked meal was a rare treat, he still couldn't help but zone out and barely taste the food.

Before going to bed, he'd watched TV with Michal, as Ian left to go hang out with some girl down the street whose name Conner didn't catch. Michal was nice, but Conner was more thankful he hadn't had to talk to him, since they'd watched a movie.

It was hopeless. He didn't belong in this kind of place. The bed was nice, the room was warm, and he didn�t feel scared about someone coming in for whatever reason in the middle of the night. He hadn't even locked his door. But at the same time, it was still weird and new and a little unnerving. Sleeping just was out of the question.

He wasn't even sure why, but he didn't like it. They were nice but this was not� not what he pictured for himself. Sure, he was safe here, or so said the old lady. What did she know? What did he know about her? What did she know about him?

He would think about where he'd been, where he'd lived, but a minute into a memory he'd stop himself. No one wanted to go there. The bruises on his arm and back were too recent to forget, not that he ever forgot anything at all. Not all the bruises were physical, and those were the ones that mattered the most. Memory like an elephant, Anthony would tease him, when he brought up certain old details or an incongruence. Not that it got him anywhere.

He took his fifth trip to the bathroom, tiptoeing, to get a drink of water and just get some nervous energy out. He felt afraid to touch things, afraid to make anything appear like he'd lived there. He hadn't touched his bag even; he'd left it unpacked on the floor, ready to move out if need be. He had places to go. He had a few friends in town. Well, not in this exact part of town, but certainly not far. And a few friends at the group home. Sometimes he actually wished he was back there, just for camaraderie's sake even.

He was restless. Like always in these new situations, he longed for one thing: his freedom. The assurance that he still had that.

One of the things that always got him in trouble no matter where he was staying was his propensity for wandering. Don't disappear for days, Anthony had asked him. The memories of the scoldings, spankings, and beatings that his wandering had earned him remained in the back of his mind that night as he stared out the window at the clear sky. He couldn't just lay here in bed. He couldn't.

He thought of destinations. There were a lot. He thought about the school, and the band room, and started to think more about it. That was just a simple doorknob. He'd used a paperclip over a dozen times to unlock one of those. Imagine inside that room.

He looked at his bag in the corner and then at the rest of the bedroom. He thought about it and then options. This house was easy to leave. This family was unassuming. It was new. He knew the way to the school. He'd seen several bus stops on the way too. He'd kept track of them. What was so great about this particular house? He imagined leaving Detroit altogether. Now that was something.

He made his decision. He didn't need this grandmother figure or her two foster sons in his life. He just wanted this own life for once.

In a flash of boldness, Conner picked up his bag and quietly slipped out of his room again. Down the stairs he crept carefully. He didn't know these stairs yet. He didn't know where they creaked or where they would give him away so he had to be particularly careful. When he reached the bottom of the steps he let out a sigh of relief. The house had not given him away. He didn't know whether the old lady was a deep sleeper or not. He wasn't willing to risk anything.

He felt independent and empowered. He felt like he controlled something, and he liked that feeling.

He placed his bag at the bottom of the stairs, looking at the front door for a moment, at his freedom, before rationalizing things, remembering old mistakes and how he could prevent things. Money was the next issue. He didn't even have a penny in his pocket and that certainly would not earn him a bus ride.

Adults usually left money everywhere, in drawers, or on countertops. The old lady wouldn't notice if he borrowed a few dollars or so. She seemed pretty charitable as it was and what difference would a few coins make?
Conner sent one nervous glance up the stairs to make sure it was still quiet up there. Then he left his bag to head into the living room to scrounge around a little bit in the dark. All he needed was at least a dollar and then he'd feel more comfortable before leaving. That would at least get him on a bus. He could find money elsewhere if he needed.

The first few drawers made him begin to think that his search was futile. He was searching through one more cabinet in the living room when he noticed a purse sitting on the table. Jackpot. Without thinking, Conner was immediately drawn to it, finding a wallet and pulling out several dollars.

Perfect, he thought. He wasn't going to be greedy, but she had plenty in there.

He'd just stuffed the wallet back into the purse and was about to shove the money into his pocket when he found himself lifted off the ground and spun around to face an amused looking young man, probably in his early twenties, who was now effortlessly holding Conner up with his muscular arms in front of him like a specimen to examine.

"What do we have here?"


© 2008 lilfeather


Author's Note

lilfeather
*dances with excitment* YAAAAY!!! Jasons here!! like I said, Its based off of my friend Conners past expirences, Jason is his bro, he. Is. AWSOMMEEE!!!! Did you like it? hate it? Tell me. Please?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I want to see what happens next! >.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 1, 2008


Author

lilfeather
lilfeather

About
Things About Me Almost all of my writing is based off of people in my school. My real name is Lily. Im just a kid, teenager, whatever you want to call me. I am one of the biggest Eminem fans EVER. I l.. more..

Writing