Chapter 35.

Chapter 35.

A Chapter by lilfeather
"

35...

"
Conner sat at the kitchen table with several pieces of paper and several pens and pencils. Jason told him that the chances of all the pens running out of ink and all the pencils breaking was so impossible that he better not even think about it as an excuse. Conner tried to explain that he didn't want to make any excuses, but Jason just grumpily left him there to try to fix the window upstairs.

"Whatcha doing?" Michal sat down at the table across from him, biting into an apple.

"Nothing." Conner glanced down nervously at the first sheet of paper. So far all he'd written was one line.

Michal looked at the paper and tried to read it upside down. All it said was, 'I could'nt sleep'.

"It's d-n-apostrophe-t," Michal told him. "Not d-apostrophe-n-t."

"Huh?"

"You spelled 'couldn't' wrong. Or you just put the apostrophe wrong. What are you writing anyway?" Conner took another crunching bite into his apple.

Conner started erasing.

Michal frowned. "Why are you erasing the whole thing? It was a really little part that was wrong."

"The whole thing's wrong." The eraser broke off the pencil as he continued to erase and Conner stopped, staring at the now smudged paper sadly.

"There wasn't much there to be wrong� Well, what are you writing?"

"Nothing."

"Well, nothing now�" Michal agreed. "Am I bugging you? I'll go away."

Conner looked at him quizzically. No one had ever asked him if they were bugging him before. Or offered to go away. He wasn't sure how to respond. "It's my statement," he tried to explain. "For the police."

"Ohh�" Michal answered, and Conner was glad he knew what he was talking about, because he didn't want to explain. "I can leave you alone."

"Some of it," Conner started slowly, unsurely. "I'm not sure if it's real or not."

"What do you mean?" Michal had almost gotten up but now he stayed seated in the chair, giving Conner a quizzical look. The kid's shaggy hair had fallen into his eyes, and Michal thought about how it was weird Ma hadn't made him get a haircut yet. Although that was probably the least of their worries.

"I mean�" Conner started slowly. "I don't know if I dreamt a lot of it."

"Like what?"

Conner opened his mouth as if to reply and then hesitated, shutting it again. He ran his finger back and forth across the edge of the table. "I don't know. I just feel like I dreamt parts of it."

"Well, maybe you dreamt about what actually happened."

"What if it changed in my dreams?"

"You can't tell the difference between dreams and reality?"

"Sometimes," Conner admitted. "Sometimes it's hard. Don't you ever have really, real dreams?"

Michal paused. This was the longest he'd really gotten to talk to Conner alone, and he wanted him to keep talking. He wanted to learn something about him, like Jason had in the past week. Jason seemed like he'd completely cracked the Conner code and had figured him out. They seemed a lot alike, maybe that was why. Jason had kind of just taken him under his wing to protect and figure out, and had succeeded.

"I do," Michal admitted. "But I usually wake up halfway through them, and I know that they're not actually real."

Conner just frowned.

"Some people have better imaginations," Michal persisted, noting Conner's worried face. "I haven't had a great imagination in a long time."

"I don't want to lie," Conner explained.

"I doubt it'll be a lie. In fact, I'm willing to bet that most everything in your head has a basis in something. And is certainly based on the truth."

"A lot of things are based on truth� And aren't true."

"True," Michal answered. "You're a smart kid."

"Not if I can't figure out what to write down." Conner pushed the paper away, glaring at the large smudge on the first line.

"That's nothing."

"Jason will be mad."

Michal rolled his eyes. "If Jason's mad over that, then he's gotta be committed."

"Committed like an insane person?"

Michal laughed. "Uh-huh. Where is he now, anyway?"

"I didn't know he's insane."

Michal studied Conner's slightly nervous expression and laughed again. "Conner. He's not. I'm teasing. Now, where is he?"

"Window."

"Huh?"

"He's fixing my window."

"Oh� Right."

Conner chewed on his thumbnail. "Is he mad about that?"

Michal shrugged. "Who cares if he is? It's a window. I think he liked breaking it. Jason likes breaking things. Fixing things on the other hand� He's not so fond of that." He watched how nervous Conner looked. "What's the matter?"

Conner shook his head. "Nothin'."

"I know I haven't talked to you too much�" Michal began. "But if you wanna talk about it, whatever it is... then you can talk to me. "

"How's Camille?"

"Is that your attempt to change the subject?"

Conner froze. He then started to chew his nails again.

"Camille's great. I'm just saying." Michal shrugged.

"Are you gonna marry her?"

He smiled. "I don't know. Maybe someday."

"Do you talk about it?"

Michal raised his eyebrows. "You sound like Ma� But yeah� Sometimes."

Conner didn't know what to ask next. He didn't know much about girls, or getting married, or anything like that. So he didn't know what other types of questions would come up. Which was bad, because then it left the conversation open for Michal to ask him something. His attempt to lead things away from talking about himself was over. He stiffened a little, waiting.

"What are you so anxious about?" Michal asked gently. "Jason's not mad at you."

"I know."

"Then what?"

"I don't know."

"But you feel nervous?"

Conner shrugged. He kind of did. He guessed he kind of looked like it too. "I guess."

"Well, you had a crazy week. All the change. Coming here was just the beginning, I suppose. You like it here?"

Conner shrugged again. "I guess."

"Well, what don't you like?"

Conner shrugged.

Michal rolled his eyes. "For a smart kid, you're sure hard to talk to, huh? Don't shrug."

Conner caught himself mid-shrug and stiffened. Michal just took another bite of his apple and chewed quietly. After he swallowed, he said, "You want me to try to help you with the report?" He pointed to the paper.

"You weren't there."

"I know. But� Yeah, I guess you're right. You wanna talk to Jason about it?"

"No."

"He was there for part of it, right?"

"Sort of." Conner shook his head. "I don't want to talk about it. I'll write it." He picked up another pencil. Then he just sat there, unsurely. "Who do they show it to? Will he see it?"

"Who's he?"

"Kevin."

"It's all private. It's for police records. So they know what happened exactly. So they can charge him for everything."

"But� If they let him go again. They do the restraining order again, but�"

"It was kidnapping this time, Conner." Michal paused. "I don't think it's going to go so simply."

"How do you know?"

"Trust me." Michal watched him tap the pencil on the same smudged piece of paper. He wasn't sure if Conner trusted him at all, and didn't really want to ask.

"I just don't want him to know what I wrote," Conner explained. "He won't like it. He won't like it all."

"He's never going to see you again."

"That's what Jason said."

Michal sighed. "I know, Conner� C'mon. Nobody saw what happened coming for a mile."

Conner didn't know. He didn't blame anyone in particular for what happened, other than himself. It wasn't really their fault. Letting him in their home hadn't changed the past. It never would.

"Hey."

Conner looked up. Michal was giving him a funny look.

"What do you think about when you get that look?" Michal asked.

"What look?"

"You know. That look. When you're in like a different world. What are you thinking about?"

"I'm thinking about� not thinking�"

Michal smirked. "Good answer."--

"Is there actually something in there?"
Conner kept his hand out, in it an envelope. "Michal said to put it in an envelope. So no one would read it."

"Michal, did, huh? You know� We wouldn't've read it if you didn't want us too."

Conner shrugged.

"Can I read it?"

Conner stared at him. Didn't he just say� "It's in an envelope."

"I know. I kind of wanted to know what happened though�" Jason took the envelope from him.

"Nothing."

"Did you write that? Nothing happened?" He lifted the envelope. "Seems thicker than a page, Conner."

"I wrote it really big."

Jason laughed. "So you don't want me to read it?"

"It's in an envelope�" Conner persisted.

"Yeah, I see that�" Jason agreed. "It's fine." He stuffed it into his back pocket. "I won't read it. I'm gonna drop it off when I go out to pick up the pizza for lunch. You wanna come?"

"I don't know."

Jason rolled his eyes. "Your window's done, by the way. No more sleeping with me."

"Why would he sleep with you?" Ian asked as he walked by them to go sit down and watch TV. "You snore. And that's kinda gay."

"Kinda gay?" Jason echoed.

"Yeah, Mr. Macho. Kinda gay."

Jason gave him a glare. "Look, Ian. Unless you want my foot up your a*s�"

"So you like putting things up guy's asses now?" Ian smirked. His smirk disappeared as Jason stormed over towards him. He put his hands up, as if surrendering, and objected, "Okay, okay,Jason," but Jason still walloped him across the head. "Ow�"

"Shut up, dumbass." Jason glared at him.

"Stop it�" Ian rubbed his head irritably and then kicked Jason in the shin. "Stupid cracker."

Jason hit him again. "Grow up."

"Go get the pizza, Jason." Ian glared back at him. "Take Conner with you, you dick."

"Don't tell me what to do."

"I�m hungry. Go get it. Should have gotten it from a delivery place."

Jason sat down beside him and elbowed him. "How 'bout you try being sympathetic to people sometime, huh?"

"How 'bout picking up the food sometime, huh?"

Jason just rolled his eyes.

"Are you hungry, Conner?" Ian demanded.

Conner just shrugged uncomfortably. "I guess."

"There you go, Jason," Ian said. "The kid wants you to get the food. Now you should definitely want to go."

"Ian," Jason replied, "go shove it."

Conner didn't know what they were talking about, but he watched the two of them exchange deadly looking stares.

"Conner." Jason looked up. "My keys are on the counter. Go get them."

Conner hesitated for a second and then left to go get them.

"Just give him a break, huh?"

"He's been sleeping with you?"

"Two nights, Ian," Jason admitted. "Just two nights. And now it ends. I hope."

"You let him?"

"What was I supposed to do?"

"Say no."

"Why?"

"Because he's being a huge baby, that's why."

"He's eleven."

"I know, Jason."

"You can sleep with me too when you're scared, Ian�" Jason teased, sticking his finger into Ian's ear.

Ian grimaced and swatted Jason's hand away. "I'm fine with it, Jason. You want to baby him, then go ahead and baby him. I don't care. I�m just hungry."

"I know you tease 'cause you care, man," Jason said. "But give him a break. He's easily shook. We've already been through this."

"Aw, whatever. Cracker and I talk just fine. Go get the pizza and stop giving me a hard time." Ian watched Jason reach to take the envelope out of his back pocket. He saw him start to open it and said, "What's that?"

"I'm just curious. It's what he wrote. About what happened�"

"Ooh. I want to see."

"I don't think he wants me to see it."

"Then why are you opening it?" Ian looked at him like he was crazy. "And he's coming back in like a second too."

Jason stopped. "Yeah, you're right."

Ian laughed. "Man, I wanna see too, though. Open it quick."

"Nah, you were right the first time. I want him to trust me." He pulled away when Ian tried to snatch the envelope. "Ian, stop."

"You were gonna do it first!" Ian objected. "I'm sorry I said anything at all."

"If he wanted me to know, he'd tell me."

"He put the envelope in your hand, Jason. It's yours now."

"Well, b***h to Michal about giving him envelope then," Jason retorted.

"Michal did it?"

"Yeah."

Before Ian could reply, Conner was back, keys jingling in his hand, and both the older brothers stopped their moral argument.

"Yo, snowflake," Ian greeted him.

"Okay, Conner, let's go." Jason pushed himself off the couch. "Ian's poor sense of humor will still be here when we get back."

"You know�" Ian answered, "� you're really lucky you're coming back with pizza or I'd be pissed about that comment."--

"Okay, I'll be right back."
"No�."

Jason hesitated, hand on the car door. They were sitting outside the police precinct and he was about to run in and drop off Conner's statement. The car smelled strongly of the two pizzas sitting in their boxes on the backseat.

"No?" Jason echoed. "You change your mind about giving a statement?"

"No. Don't leave me."

Jason wasn't sure why that tugged at him so much. He told himself to be a man. Teach Conner to be a man. "I'm not leaving you. I'll be back in a second."

"Isn't he in there?"

Kevin, Jason realized. He wished he could just kill this Kevin character and be done with the whole thing. "I don't know, Conner. I'll be back in one second." He opened the car door to get out but Conner latched onto his arm.

"No�"

Jason gave a small laugh. "Okay, then, kiddo. Come in with me."

"NO." Conner's voice was insistent.

Jason sighed. "If he's in there, Conner, he's behind bars or handcuffed, or both."

"Don't leave me."

"You won't come in, I can't go in alone� What the hell do you want me to do with this?" Jason waved the envelope in Conner's face. He pried Conner's hand off his arm and started out of the car. "I'll be right back."

"Jason!" Conner insisted.

Jason leaned down and stuck his head back into the car. "You want me to keep the radio on?"

"No."

"If all you can say is no�"

"I don't want to be alone in the car," Conner said quickly.

"Okay." Jason sighed. "Conner. I'll be back in a minute. You can time me."

Conner looked miserable. "Can you keep the car running?"

"Why?"

"So we can leave quick."

"Like a getaway car? We could leave quick if you stopped arguing with me. And the pizza's gonna get cold. You want Ian to flip a s**t when we get back?"

"Jason."

"Okay, Conner. I'll be back in a minute." Stubborn, Jason left and slammed the door behind him. He went into the precinct, talked briefly to an officer, and was back in the parking lot within a few minutes. When he approached the car, his stomach turned a little bit when he couldn't see Conner. Empty was the passenger seat. On the back seat all he saw was pizzas.

On further inspection, he noticed Conner sitting on the floor of the car, curled up, in front of the passenger seat. He laughed to himself, more relieved than anything, and got back into the car.

Conner sat up straight, startled, hitting his head on the glove compartment.

"Oh, come on� Get off the floor, baby�" Jason said sympathetically. He reached down and rubbed at his head. "You okay?"

"I didn't want anyone to see me."

"Well, good job then, I guess." Jason turned the key in the ignition.

"Did you see him?"

"No. I didn't."

"Is he still in there?"

"I'm sure he is."

"Did you ask?"

"No." Jason shook his head. He gave Conner a look as he crawled back onto the seat. "You want me to go back inside and ask?"

"No," Conner admitted. That involved Jason leaving again.

"Didn't think so. Let's go eat pizza."--

Conner sat in his room quietly, sitting on his bed and strumming his guitar on his lap. The window was closed, locked, and all panes of glass were intact. He had to admit that he felt slightly better, although he was still a little unnerved when he thought about the other night.
"Hey," Jason said from the doorway.

"Hey," Conner replied.

"You like the guitar?"

Conner nodded. "Yeah."

"Good." Jason paused. "Danny was asking."

"Does he want it back?"

"Nah, it's all yours, cupcake," Jason laughed at Conner's nervous question. "Most people don't take back gifts, you know?"

Conner shrugged. "I guess."

"You gonna sleep in here tonight?"

Conner nodded again. "Okay."

"I mean� You can� I mean, if you really get scared, you can sleep with me. But I'm just sayin'� The window's fixed and everything." Jason shrugged. "Hopefully there's nothing to be scared of."

"I'm not scared."

"Okay."

"It's better now."

"Okay." Jason smirked and leaned against the doorframe, crossing his arms. "Then one favor you can do me. If things are 'okay' now, and you're not scared of anything�"

Conner felt himself grow nervous. What was all this? What was he going to say? It could be anything. Maybe they'd realized that something was wrong and that he couldn't stay anymore. Or maybe Kevin had come back. Maybe he'd read his statement. Conner was holding his breath.

"Unpack," Jason said.

"What?" Conner asked, letting out the deep breath.

Jason pointed at the bag on the floor, which had remained full for the past week. "You live here. Act like it and unpack your bag. It's been a week, kid."

It had been a week. Only a week since Anthony dropped him off and hadn't looked back. He felt like it had been a lot longer than a week, and he did feel a bit differently than he had when he was dropped off. But he knew he was the same person. And again, nothing would change the past.

But Jason was right. He might as well unpack.

"Okay."

Jason grinned. "Good, Conner." He walked away.

Conner sighed. Maybe unpacking would unfold a better chapter in his life. The End.


© 2008 lilfeather


Author's Note

lilfeather
*Starts sniffling* I dont want to let these characters go!!! I think I'm going to write some short stories on them....Did you like the story? Suggestions maybe? Review please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on July 18, 2008
Last Updated on August 1, 2008


Author

lilfeather
lilfeather

About
Things About Me Almost all of my writing is based off of people in my school. My real name is Lily. Im just a kid, teenager, whatever you want to call me. I am one of the biggest Eminem fans EVER. I l.. more..

Writing