Chapter 34.

Chapter 34.

A Chapter by lilfeather
"

34..

"

"Where'd you get that?"

Conner looked up at Ian from his seat on the couch with the guitar in his lap. He was startled; he hadn't heard anyone walk into the room. He'd been pretty focused on the guitar, and trying to remember everything he already knew. He was confused by Ian now standing above him with an intent look.

"Did you hear me?" Ian persisted. "Where'd you get that?"

"Jason," Conner answered softly.

Ian frowned. "Are you kidding? Jason can't afford that." He turned to the kitchen and yelled, "Jason!"

"What?" Jason emerged from the kitchen, where he'd been talking to Judy.

"What'd ya get me?" Ian asked.

"Huh?"

Ian made a face. "You got him a guitar. You get anybody else something? I didn't know it was Christmas."

Standing face to face with Ian, Jason frowned. "Here. This is what I got you." He reached up and slapped him upside his head. "Don't be an a*s."

"Well, where'd you get it?"Ian rubbed at his head. "You knock over another convenience store?"

"Yeah." Jason rolled his eyes. "Me and Conner. How'd you know�?"

"I'm serious," Ian persisted. "Where'd you get it?"

"Danny."

"Danny?"

"Yeah. It's his."

"And he didn't want it anymore?"

"No. And no I didn�t get you anything. It wasn't like he was having a full blowout giveaway."

"Why'd he give it to him?"

"Because I asked him."

"Why?"

Jason sighed and rolled his eyes. "Because. Conner wanted it."

Ian frowned. "How come he gets what he wants? I remember when I asked you for something� Got me nothing and then got my head bashed in a little later."

Jason laughed. "Completely different situation�"

"Why do you laugh at that?"

Jason shook his head. "What are you getting upset about, Ian? Because I got the kid something? Come on�"

"You can have it if you want�" Conner said tentatively, sensing an oncoming argument and wanting to rid himself of it.

"No, Conner," Jason said.

"I don't want a f*****g guitar," Ian replied. "That's not my point."

"Then tell me what your point is and get over it," Jason replied.

"My point�" Ian began. "Is just that�" He lowered his voice as he shot a look over at Conner, who wasn't even looking at them but staring at his shoes. "Me 'n Michal. We don't see as much of you anymore. Like, you're home for once, and we don't even see you."

"Well, you finally have a job, and Michal being all over Camille�" Jason answered. "You want me to come to work with you? Be a third wheel with Mich?"

"That's not my point."

"You keep saying that. I don't get what your point is, Ian."

"It's him. I mean, we like him too and all, Jason. But it's always you defending him, or taking him somewhere, or just spending all day with him."

Jason's brow furrowed. "God forbid�" he said in a low voice, so that only he and Ian could hear, "that I have to take him to the f*****g hospital� to see if he'd been molested. God forbid I spend half of my day doing that."

Ian didn't blink. "That's not what I'm talking about. It's the other times."

"He's been here what? One week?"

"So?"

"So how many other times could there be? What's the real problem, Ian?"

Ian shook his head. "Fine. Nothing."

Jason caught his arm before he could walk away. He studied his brother, at the faded bruise around his eye, and gave him a stern look. "What else is it? Is this just jealousy?"

"I�m not jealous of him," Ian answered.

"I hope not." Jason grew frustrated. Sometimes he just wished that he could read minds. Ian and him got along well, but often clashed like this, their personalities severely different yet sharing some key similarities. They both always struggled to get the upper hand in their frequent arguments. Ian tried because he felt entitled to it. Ian fought for it because he wanted to prove his independence to Jason.

"He's just a kid," Ian retorted. "What's there to be jealous of?"

"Exactly. He's just a kid. And think about what happened yesterday to him and give him a little slack, man, okay?"

"I'm not giving him a hard time, Jason."

"Maybe not, but you don't have to give me a hard time either."

"It's just�" Ian sighed. "I understand he got hurt. I understand he's just been here a week. I know what happened yesterday. I�m not stupid. But you don't have to treat him like the golden child. S**t happened to me too, and also recently, and you didn't care half as much as you do for him."

Jason sighed. It was jealousy. As much as Ian tried to mask it with something else, the truth was just obvious. That frustrated Jason immensely. "Come on." He tugged Ian's arm. "Come with me." He walked back to the kitchen.
Ian followed reluctantly. He watched Jason go over to the stove, to check on the spaghetti he was boiling in a large pot. Judy was on the phone, sitting at the table, and looked up at them briefly as they came in. After stirring it around with a large spoon, Jason turned back to Ian. He still spoke quietly,

"This isn't some popularity contest. You know I�m there for you whenever you need it, Ian. Michal and I helped you take care of what you needed taken care of last week. Remember? Most of your problems are problems you created. You. But I help you anyway."

Ian turned defensive. "Why do you always think it's my fault?"

"Because often it is, Ian�" Jason sighed. "I'm not saying that to be a dick about it. It's just true. You're like me. I cause my own s**t too. I'm not proud of it but at least I'll admit it."

"That's not�"

"Not your point?" Jason asked. "C'mon. What is this? He's just a little kid. My goal was to get his trust. I'm getting it. It's convenient that I'm the one to take care of him. You wanna trade spots with him?"

"No, Jason."

"It's been one week, Ian. A lot has changed for him in just one week. I really don't know what you're complaining about."

"I'm not complaining."

"Well, then whatever you want to call it." Jason sighed.

"You just like him because he follows you around."

"Why would I want a little kid to follow me around, Ian?"

Ian shrugged. "I don't know. You act like you like it."

"Look, I don't know what you want me to tell you. Half the time I want to strangle him, just like any of you. I don�t understand what's going through his head, I don't know when he's happy or not, I don't know what he wants."

"Yeah you do. He wanted a guitar."

Jason smirked. "Whatever. Don't you get my point?"

"No."

"Ian, if you need me, if Michal needs me, if Conner needs me� It's not any different. He just happens to need more right now. But when have I said no to you?"

Ian paused. "Last week."

"Borrowing money from me, money that I don�t even have, is not needing me," Jason pointed out. "And it's not like I bought him a guitar. It's Danny's. I'm not the type to randomly buy s**t for people."

Ian was about to reply but he heard Judy ending her conversation on the telephone and decided to hold his tongue. She eyed them critically as she got up to hang up the phone.

"What are you boys fighting about now�?" she asked carefully.

"Who loves you more, Ma," Jason replied.

"Sweetheart, pretending to bullshit me has never been convincing or funny."

"Sometimes it is," he replied. "I caught a little bit of a smile."

"We're not actually fighting," Ian interjected. "We're just talking."

"About what?" Judy persisted.

"How much we love you," Jason answered.

She raised an eyebrow at him. "Jason."

He simply smiled at her.

"It's nothing," Ian insisted with a sigh. "We're done anyway."

"Well, good, because I need to talk to Jason about how it went at the hospital today," Judy answered. "And I'd like to do it before we all have dinner."

"Sure." Jason caught Ian's rolled eyes and gave him a look. "Okay with you, Ian?"

"Sure, of course," Ian answered casually. "I'll be inside."

Judy eyed Jaon. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah�" he answered. "More or less."

Conner looked up again when Ian returned and sat down beside him. He hesitated. He still wasn't sure what to make of Ian. He was nice enough to him, but their conversations were typically short and ended awkwardly. Half the time, Conner just found Ian to be scrutinizing him or asking questions. The other half of the time, Conner found him to be kind of bossy.
"Can you play?" Ian asked, indicating the guitar.

"A little," Conner admitted.

"Where'd you learn?"

"I don�t know."

Ian gave him a critical look. "How do you not know?"

"Do you want to play?" Conner offered him the guitar, holding it up.

Ian shook his head. "I don't know the slightest thing about guitars." He paused. "But thanks."

"I have to tune it."

"Again� Have no clue," Ian answered.

Conner didn't say anything.

"Guess there's rewards to following around Jason after all, huh?" Ian asked him.

Conner glanced at him but didn't say anything. Ian was reaching for the remote control to turn on the TV. Conner was kind of relieved when the sound of the TV replaced the feeling of awkward silence in their conversation.

"How was the hospital?" Ian asked, putting on a baseball game.

"I wasn't sick."

"Oh, no s**t?" Ian replied sarcastically. "Shocking." At Conner's silence, he persisted. "So what did they tell you then?"

"I don�t know," Conner replied.

"You say that a lot. They must've told you something."

"No."

"Nothing at all? That's weird, huh?"

"Yeah�" Carefully, Conner tried to change the subject. "How was work�?"

"Fine."

Conner paused. "I just don't wanna talk about it."

"What, my day at work?"

"No. The hospital."
Ian noticed the discomfort in Conner's voice and posture and realized that he probably wasn't coming off as very friendly and tried to change his tone. "I'm surprised Jason even took you. He hates hospitals," Ian said. "Like really, really hates hospitals."

"Why would anyone like a hospital?" Conner asked.

"True," Ian answered. "It's just Jason never complains more than when he's near a doctor." He smirked for a moment. "Or near a cop."

Conner hesitated responding considering he'd caused Jason to be near both those things in the past two days. He hadn't meant to do that at all. As though reading his mind, Ian gave Conner a slight push and said,

"Well, when it's his fault. Like when he's in trouble. He don�t mind it with you, I'm sure, else he wouldn't've gone."

Conner paused. "Do they always take pictures at doctor's?"

"Pictures? Of what?"

"Like of what happened. They always do that?"

"I guess if they need a record�" Ian answered slowly. "What happened yesterday?"

"Nothing really." Conner shook his head. "I don't know."

Ian studied Conner and the way he hugged the guitar to his chest. He looked so nervous. He started to see why Jason kept trying to protect him. "Did that dude touch you?" Ian asked.

"Uh�" Conner started. "I don't know."

"I heard Jason kicked his a*s�" Ian persisted. "I wish I could�ve seen that. Was it cool?"

"No really...."

"Jason used to box a lot. He's a pretty good fighter. Actually that's what keeps getting him in trouble when he plays hockey. He's real good but the league doesn't really like how mad he gets," he explained. "But the dude must've done something for Jason to fight him like that."

Conner just shrugged.

"Not that it takes a lot for him to fight," Ian laughed. "He tried to fight Michal once because Michal ate the rest of the Mac 'n Cheese that was in the fridge." He looked at Conner's wary expression and explained, "It was actually hilarious. Trust me. He's got no patience at all. But once you know that you just ignore it and it's fine."

"Ignore it?"

"Yeah." Ian shrugged. "He doesn't stay mad at family, you know? You'll figure it out. We all f**k up at some point." He paused. "So why'd you ask him for a guitar?"

"I didn't."

"He asked you if you wanted it?"

"We were in a guitar shop."

"That's very� not Jason. I don't think he knows a guitar from a piano." He looked up at the sound of someone clearing their throat to see Jason walking back out of the kitchen.

"I'm not that stupid," Jason answered, pushing Ian over to sit between him and Jack. "One's got keys."

"Yeah, which one?" Angel shot back smiling.

"Very funny," Jason muttered. "I bet I could shove both of them up your a*s."

"I was telling Conner how you almost killed Michal over Macaroni and Cheese."

"Highly exaggerated�" was all Jason responded. "Speaking of food... Dinner's almost ready."--

"Can I sleep with you?"
Jason looked at the clock. It was two o'clock in the morning. He was sitting, watching TV sleeplessly downstairs, when Conner wandered into the almost dark room and approached him meekly.

Jason stared at him. He had the same, wide-eyed nervous look, and Jason just sighed. "Is this a habit now?"

"No."

"Then what is this?"

Conner was gripping the bottom hem of his t-shirt uneasily, pulling at it. "There's a hole in my window."

"I know. I put it there this morning. Remember?"

"And then you could unlock the window."

"The ladder's gone, Conner," Jason answered. "It's in the garage."

"So? It wasn't there to begin with."

"No one else is gonna put a ladder up."

"How do you know?"

Jason tried to think about how he could possibly win this argument. There was really no way. "Go sleep with Ma."

Conner made a face and shook his head. "She'll get mad."

"And I won't? She won't get mad. Her bed's bigger too."

"No." Conner shook his head again. "I wanna sleep with you."

"Why?"

"You have a gun," Conner admitted.

Jason rubbed his hands over his face tiredly. "Conner, come on� I'll fix the broken window tomorrow, okay? Just forget about it."

"No."

"Don't be scared."

"I'm not scared," Conner objected.

"Then why do you wanna sleep with me?"

"To be careful."

"Conner. Kevin is gone."

"I don't know. I didn't tell the police yet."

Jason sighed. That was the other thing he'd meant to do today. Hospital and statement. Those were the two priorities. And he'd forgotten one. "Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

"You can write your statement tomorrow."

Conner began to look more worried. "What about tonight?"

"What about tonight?" Jason shook his head. "It's two o'clock in the morning, Conner."

"Why can't I sleep with you?"

"Because," Jason answered, realizing he didn't have a very good, not annoyed answer. He reached out and took Conner's wrist, tugging him forward. "Sit, watch some TV with me, take a sedative, go back upstairs�"

"No�" Conner objected.

Jason pulled him by his arm and forced him to sit next to him. "I'm lying about the sedative. That's probably not a good idea." He slung his arm around Conner's shoulders. "Just sit a bit. You'll get tired. It's late."

"It's not that I'm not tired," Conner tried to explain.

"You know what I just thought. You better not have locked your door again," Jason answered.

"I didn't."

"Good. I'm not going up on that ladder again."

"I just� I just don't want to sleep there�"

"I told you I'll fix the window. But nothing's going to happen in the meantime. You want me to sleep in your room and you sleep in mine?"

"No�" Conner insisted. "No."

"Conner. It's late."

Conner just sulked and didn't reply, staring at the TV. Jason sighed, keeping his arm around him. It was hard for him to tell Conner nothing would happen considering the unthinkable had happened. But they had just been through this last night.

"Can't you think of something else while you're trying to sleep, Conner?"

"NO."

Well at least he's honest, Jason thought to himself. "When this show is over, I�m going to bed," he told him. "In ten minutes."

"I don't want to sleep upstairs," Conner persisted quietly.

"When are you going to want to sleep upstairs? When I fix your window?"

"Yeah."

"You promise?"

"Yeah."

Jason sighed. Conner didn't sound overly convincing with a kind of shaky 'yeah'. He felt the same way as he had the night before though. It was hard to be angry at him for not wanting to sleep in his room considering what had happened. But he didn't want it to continue like this every single night. And he wasn't sure whether Conner was using the window as an excuse, or the ladder as an excuse�

"And what happens when tomorrow you do this again?" Jason asked.

"I won't�" Conner promised.

"Okay."

"Okay, I can?"

"I guess�" Jason answered.

"Are you mad?" Conner frowned.

"No. I'm tired."

"You're not mad?"

"No. You don't have to ask me twice." Jason shook his head and then yawned. "Tomorrow I fix your window, you write your statement, and we'll all sleep well, okay?"

"Yeah."

"And then we'll start to have a little less stressful of a week, how about that?"

"Yeah."

Jason yawned again. He really hoped he was right.


© 2008 lilfeather


Author's Note

lilfeather
Review please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on July 18, 2008


Author

lilfeather
lilfeather

About
Things About Me Almost all of my writing is based off of people in my school. My real name is Lily. Im just a kid, teenager, whatever you want to call me. I am one of the biggest Eminem fans EVER. I l.. more..

Writing