Chapter 12.

Chapter 12.

A Chapter by lilfeather
"

the 12 chapter

"
Conner was nervous when they left McDonald's and got back in the car. In fact, he was nervous for the whole car ride. Apparently Jason knew of some old friends that were playing a game of hockey over by this neighborhood, or something along those lines, and so that was where they were headed. That was innocent enough.

But after listening to Jason and Ian argue over owing this person and owing that person, and doing this or that, and the repercussions, and who they might run into, Conner was a little uneasy. He barely could say he felt comfortable with these three, never mind with where they were going and who they were going to meet. He thought about when he'd gone to use the bathroom at the high school and ran into those random guys�

But it wasn't like there was much he could do. He just endured the uneasy feeling in his stomach, the almost nauseating feeling, and kept his mouth shut. That was usually the best option. What was he supposed to say?

Now they had plans to stop and meet Dan, one of Jason's old friends, whom he had apparently made plans to pick up.

Soon they were parking and getting out of the car.

They were all getting out of the car. Conner assumed that meant he should come too. It would seem kind of weird to just sit in the car, and he preferred just to go along with what they were doing and avoid any more stares.

Apparently the people at this house were close friends, wanted to see them all, or something like that.Conner figured he would go inside too.

"Aren't you going to be hot?" Jason asked Conner when they started walking down the street. It was a dead-end and they were walking towards the house on the end.Jason tugged at Conner's sweatshirt. He himself was wearing a t-shirt, and with the mild weather couldn't understand how this kid could possibly be comfortable.

"No," Conner answered. He, in fact, was feeling a little warm, but wasn't about to take off the sweatshirt. The whole point of long sleeves was to avoid attention on the bruises on his pale skin. Now he was getting noticed for it anyway.

"You don't feel good or something?" Jason replied.

"I'm good," Conner said. He wondered if the attention from wearing warm clothes on a sunny day was equally unattractive as questions about his bruises.

Jason lifted his hand towards him and watched Conner flinch. That bothered him but he didn't say anything. Instead he slowed his hand and continued his move to feel the kid's forehead for a fever. He felt fine.

"I wasn't gonna hit you," Jason said.

Conner didn't say a word. He just walked with them, now up the grassy lawn to the house, and stuck his hands into his pockets.

"Why would I because of a sweatshirt?" Jason muttered. "I don't give a s**t what you wear as long as you've got clothes on."
Conner ignored him because they were nearing the house, and mostly because he really didn't want to look at him.

Ian was up ahead and already knocking on the door. Within seconds of them all reaching the door, it was opened by a woman, much older than they were, but much younger than Judy, with a big red smile across her lips. She was wearing some kind of uniform� Conner guessed from some restaurant�

He wasn't sure if he liked her. Although she was about forty five, she had really bleached hair and bright red lipstick.

"Hello, boys," she said excitedly. "Oh, it's been too long, hasn't it? I'm so glad Dan is home� Now I get to see all my boys again."

"Yeah, I was wondering when that joker would come back to live in your basement," Jason said sarcastically as he walked up to the doorway. He embraced the woman and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "How are you, Debbie?"

"I'm good," she replied, patting him on the arm. "As good as I can be, I guess. I�m actually off to work in a few minutes so I'll have to catch up with you another time. Do you boys need anything to eat or anything before I go?"

"Nah, we just ate," Jason replied.

"Ian, Mitchal, c'mere," she persisted, hugging each of them and looking just happy in general to see them. "You all look so good." Then she turned to Conner and continued smiling. "And who is this?"
Conner stared at her shoes. They were heels and bright pink. They neither matched her uniform or lipstick. They couldn't be very comfortable either.

"This is Conner," Michal said, putting a hand on Conner's shoulder. "We just got him."

Debbie laughed. "Oh, honey, you're talking like you just got a puppy or something." She shook her head before focusing back on Conner. "How do you like the O'Rileys so far, Conner?"
Conner looked up from her shoes slowly and met her eyes briefly. Sitting in the car would have been a better idea. "They're nice," he said simply.

"Yes, they are. They're really great," she agreed. She turned to Jason again. "Oh, he's precious, isn't he?Jason, honey, how long have you been home? I feel like it's been ages."

"I've barely been home," he replied. "I called Dan as soon as I got back into town."

"Any particular reason for the return?"

Jason shrugged. "Figured it was about time I ventured back to the neighborhood again, I guess�" He glanced at Conner. "And Ma kinda expected it too, in a way."

Debbie nodded. "Well, for whatever reason, it's good to see you back. Hopefully out of trouble as well?"

"Squeaky clean, ma'am," he answered with a smirk.

"That's what I like to hear� All right, well, Dan's right downstairs, so go ahead in a help yourself. I'm on my way out."

"It was good to see you, again," Ian said.

"Bye, boys." She headed down the steps.

Conner felt odd walking into somebody's house while they were leaving. It just seemed counterintuitive. But he followed Jason as he headed into the house, through the kitchen, and down some stairs.

There was music playing downstairs and he began to hear it halfway down. Conner's eyes looked around the room curiously as they reached the bottom. The basement was covered in shaggy dark blue carpet and one of the walls was covered with album covers and photographs. There was a bed in one corner, a TV in the other, and a couch against the wall. On the couch sat a young man with dark, disheveled hair, who at the moment was preoccupied with packing a bong.

"For God's sake, Danny," Jason began.

The Dan fellow looked up from his work and grinned. "Hey�" He set down a small plastic bag and got up from the couch, shaking hands with Jason first and then pulling him into a hug. "How's it been, man?"

"We're going to play hockey, you know." Jason patted him on the back.

Dan pulled away. "Yeah, I know."

"Then what's this?" Jason pointed at the table.

"You judging? Or you want in?"

"He's probably judging,"Ian muttered. "As usual."

"F**k you, Ian." Jason gave him a pointed glare. He looked back at Dan. "You know damn well I'm not judging, Danny. Merely wondering why the f**k you want to get high when we're gonna play."

"I wasn't going to get high. Just, you know, I need a few hits."

Jason raised an eyebrow. "Uh-huh."

"Who's kid?" Dan gestured at Conner, whose eyes had traveled around the room to look at the pictures on the wall.

"Ours. I mean, this is Conner. Judy just adopted him."

"Ah� What's up, Conner, I'm Danny."

Conner glanced at him.

Dan walked back over to sit down and picked up the bong. "Hey Conner� Do you wanna a hit?"

Jason slapped him across the back of the head playfully before sitting down next to him and laughing. "I know you did that for a reaction. There's your reaction."

"Protective already, I knew it�" Danny just shook his head and laughed. "I'll be ready to go in like a second. You guys want a beer or anything?"

"I'll take a beer," Ian replied.

Dan gestured at the mini-fridge beside the bed. "Help yourself, man."

"Good, drink up. Then I can kick your a*s easier when we play," Jason said.

"That mean you want a beer too?" Ian asked.

Jason paused. "Yeah, sure. If we're gonna be here for a minute, might as well."

"Your mom know you smoke yet?" Michal asked. He sat down on the edge of the bed and picked up the magazine that was on top of the covers. Sports Illustrated.

Dan shrugged and didn't reply for a moment as he took a rip. Conner listened to the bubbling sound as Dan pulled up the stem of the bong.

"Ahh, she probably knows," Dan answered after a moment's pause, breathing out just a little smoke. He placed the bong back on the table. "I leave this s**t out all the time," he pointed to the piece, "and we just never talk about it I guess."

"Doubt she approves."

Dan just made a face and shrugged. "For all I know she's smoking it too."

"I always pictured Debbie as more of a pill popper than a smoker," Jason answered.

Dan gave him a look. "Yo, dude, lay off."

"Although she likes her ciggies a lot too."

"True�" Dan laughed. It was hard to be offended by Jason, considering he knew how much Jason cared for Debbie too.

Ian handed Jason a can of beer and leaned against the arm of the chair as he opened his.

"Anybody want to smoke?" Dan offered.

"Nope," Jason answered. "I prefer my beer."

"No kidding." Dan poked at his stomach.

"Dude, I'm all solid." Jason gave him a look. "You wanna try me?"

Dan smirked. "I know not to try you, Jason O'Riley. That's why I'm glad you're on my side�"



© 2008 lilfeather


Author's Note

lilfeather
Not the best chapter.. you agree or not?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on July 7, 2008


Author

lilfeather
lilfeather

About
Things About Me Almost all of my writing is based off of people in my school. My real name is Lily. Im just a kid, teenager, whatever you want to call me. I am one of the biggest Eminem fans EVER. I l.. more..

Writing