Chapter 24.

Chapter 24.

A Chapter by lilfeather
"

24...

"

Judy was really nice and everything, but Conner couldn't help but wish he was out of the house. When he was neglected he felt like he wanted more attention. When he got this attention he felt like he wanted to be neglected.

Maybe it was just not being used to the direct eye contact, or the innocent questions and conversation. When you were slapped around it was still attention, and it didn't need any involvement, and then it was over. He wasn't used to this interaction part. Maybe that's what had messed him up at the other places.

At least he didn't have to look at her this time. Because Judy's eyes really looked right into your soul and it made him squirm. There was some show that she liked on, so they both were sitting on the couch while she every now and then spoke and asked questions.

Eventually the inevitable question of where he'd gone during the day came up. Judy didn't say it with any sense of anger or annoyance. Not at all like Jason had asked him about it.

"Dunno."

"Why didn't you tell Jason?" she asked.

"He was tired of my questions," Conner answered.

"Jason's a big grump sometimes," Judy admitted. "But it's only on the outside. You can trust him, and even more, he wants you to be able to trust him."

Judy continued to talk, and without any sense of anger or lecture, she still managed to make Conner feel kind of guilty about disappearing for so long and worrying people. She talked to him how Jason had been through rough times too, but how he'd grown up a lot and was trying to change.

It came through in her voice how much she really loved her boys, and Conner felt kind of weird. He'd never heard anybody speak so fondly about anybody before. He kind of remembered his mom, and her boyfriend, and how they would say they loved each other sometimes, but it was usually when they were really messed up on something. Like pills, or booze, and they usually passed out soon after. In fact, Conner for a while had associated saying 'I love you' with meaning you were really high and going to pass out.

Conner had assumed no one would even notice that he was gone. He was kind of surprised it had turned into such a big deal. And if it was such a big deal why no one was doing anything about. Like, they were just talking to him about it. Was that supposed to teach him not to do it again?

She wasn't even scolding him. She was really just talking. Then she started to compare him to Jason, and he just kind of zoned out.

She wasn't even nice in the way that you could take advantage of her. She seemed too smart for that. But she wasn't being cunning either in an untrustworthy nice. She was the kind of nice that'd you'd feel bad for crossing. He wasn't sure what to do about it.

"I broke a plate," he admitted, interrupting her. He didn't know why he suddenly felt the need to admit that.

She paused, giving him a gentle look. "Honey, that's okay. I break something almost every week. And those boys with their hockey. Can't tell you how much broken glass I've picked up."

"Jason said he wouldn't tell you."

"Well, Jason was either teasing you or trying to make you feel better, I guess."

He wouldn't add that he'd broken it on purpose. He wouldn't tell her about trying to steal money the other night either. He'd talked enough for tonight. This is how talking got him into trouble.

Jason and Judy were a lot alike. They were both able to carry on conversations mostly by themselves. It was almost impressive.

When the phone rang, Judy found the cordless beside her and picked it up on the second ring. "Hello?"

Anthony's voice came through on the other line. "Hello, Judy. It's Anthony again, I'm sorry about calling you. I know how busy you are."

Evelyn glanced next to her at Conner, who was simply staring at the TV, and got up to talk privately. She moved into the dining room quietly. "That's fine, not a problem at all. If this is about the other night, let me apologize again."

"No, no, no," he objected. "Kids will be kids. I'm used to him doing much worse, it's fine. Has he burned down your house yet?"

"No, he's doing just fine�" she answered with a slight chuckle. She wanted to say she'd gotten used to fires from when Jason was younger. She remembered the treehouse incident with a smirk but said nothing.

Anthony continued. "Any trouble with him wandering off or disappearing? Moods?"

"He's doing just fine," Judy repeated.

"Well, I'm glad to hear it�" Anthony's voice seemed to be hiding something. He paused after he spoke, as if he was hesitating to say what he meant to next.

Judy picked up on it immediately. She knew this phone call was more than just a check-up. "What's this about, Anthony?"

He paused. "I'm calling to give you some information," he began. "I don't mean to worry you, in fact I hesitated even calling you at all. But then I realized it would be better to be careful, and I know you, and I realized I should just tell you."

Judy frowned, sitting down at the dining room table. "Alright, Anthony. You have my curiosity raised, that's for sure. What is it?"

Anthony caused. "Well, Judy, we are concerned about Kevin's possible... knowledge of Conner's whereabouts."

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, I know, and this all seems extremely unprofessional, I'm aware. And I'll also take responsibility. It seems this individual has been making quite a few phone calls recently, and in one particular case was able to falsify enough leverage to gain some information."

"What do you mean by falsify enough leverage?" Judy persisted.

Anthony sighed. "I mean threaten. He threatened one of my colleagues. Her family. Apparently believably enough, and with enough information, that it convinced her to give up some crucial information and�"

"You've got to be kidding me, Anthony."

"I wish that were the case. Now, I'm very sorry Judy. The colleague I referred to is being dealt with properly, as that is an extremely dangerous and unprofessional decision to make. It completely violates our mandates and confidentiality requirements."

"How did you find this out?"

"She eventually came forward," he admitted.

"Eventually? So this didn't happen today?"

"No, Judy. It happened a few days ago� Now, I'm not telling you to immediately be worried. I'm�"

"Is there a threat, Anthony?"

"I don't know," he said softly. "I�m just informing you, so that you can be aware. Keep your eyes open. I don't know what Kevin's motives are. I don't know what he intends to do. For all we know, he just wanted the information and that's all."

"I find that hard to believe." Judy said. This didn't happen today. This happened a few days ago. Without them knowing, anything could have happened. She realized how Conner had been gone for so long today and she'd thought nothing of it. Her pulse started to go a little quicker.

"I know� Trust me, Judy, I know. But I just wanted you to be aware of the situation. I didn't want to scare you or the boys."

Judy sighed. "I'm really not sure what to say to you, Anthony. If you have any other information�"

"I know. You will be the first on my list to contact, Judy. I mean that." Anthony paused. "Can I talk to Conner for a moment?"

"I don't think it's right to tell him," Judy objected. "Not right now, Anthony. And if anyone is going to tell him, then I'd prefer�"

"No, I agree," Anthony insisted. "I just wanted to check up on him. I agree that it's premature to tell him anything."

"Alright," Judy agreed. "I'll get him in just a minute. Just promise me that you'll keep me updated, Anthony."

"You have my word, Judy."

Conner looked confused when Evelyn offered the phone to him. "It's Anthony," she explained, and immediately his stomach dropped. Why would he be calling? What'd he do? He gave her a look, like she would know something, but she didn't catch it.

She put the phone in his hand. "I'm just going to put on some tea. You take your time."

Conner watched her leave and frowned, putting the phone up to his ear. "Why are you calling me?"

"Hello, Conner," came Anthony's painfully polite voice. "I was actually calling Judy but I wanted to get a chance to talk to you also."

Conner paused. "What did you tell her?"

"What should I tell her, Conner?"

"What did she tell you?" Conner asked. There had to be some reason for this phone call. Phone calls like this were usually bad news.

"Is there something she should tell me?" Anthony answered. "What have you been up to?"

Conner hated the way he just returned a question with a question. Whenever Bonner did that he got corrected and told it was rude, but apparently Anthony could follow any set of rules that he wanted. "Nothing," Conner retorted.

"Have you been behaving?" Anthony asked. "Judy's such a great lady, Conner. I really hope this works out for you."

"Don't you get more money if I have to go somewhere else again?" Conner asked.

"No, Conner. That's not how it works. In fact, I really hope this is your last home, and you know that. So I just want to make sure you're being good."

"Okay."

"Why did you call me the other night, Conner?" Anthony asked. "It was a bizarre hour."
Conner set his jaw and paused, thinking of what to say. "I have to go," was all he could come up with. Then he hung up the phone and crossed his fingers that Anthony wouldn't call back. If he didn't, he could always say that he got disconnected, but that was a hard fight.

He waited a moment, staring at the phone. It didn't ring. Maybe he was safe.

He sat tiredly on the couch, wishing he was somewhere else. But where, he wasn't sure.


© 2008 lilfeather


Author's Note

lilfeather
Review?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on July 14, 2008


Author

lilfeather
lilfeather

About
Things About Me Almost all of my writing is based off of people in my school. My real name is Lily. Im just a kid, teenager, whatever you want to call me. I am one of the biggest Eminem fans EVER. I l.. more..

Writing