Chapter 30.

Chapter 30.

A Chapter by lilfeather
"

the 30th chapter...

"
Jason held the phone tightly in his hands. Michal sat at the kitchen table, watching him with a frown. "Yes, I'm sure, Ma. I didn't just imagine a ladder on the side of the house. It goes right up to his room."

Michal tried to follow the conversation, but sometimes it was hard, just hearing Jason's side. Jason had the tendency to get frustrated and angry before getting his thoughts out. Ma was usually pretty good at guiding him towards a coherent conversation, but if he was upset about something, like he was now� He had gotten better as he got older, but it could be still be difficult.

"We don't even own a ladder," Jason was saying. "I mean, for f**k's sake� I don't even know which neighbors have ladders."

Michal felt himself worry. He hadn't seen Jason this agitated in a long time. He was already worried as it was, but seeing Jason's state made him feel even worse.

"It's got to be him," Jason persisted, clenching his fist. "Who else would� No, Ma. Why would Conner go out his window? I've been thinking this through my head for the past hour. He has no reason to� Yeah, I know you're trying to look at all possibilities. I'm not trying to get mad at you."

Michal sighed. He wanted to think that Conner had run off too. People didn't always need a good reason. Especially when you were eleven and little things seemed much bigger than they were. He almost wished it was Conner running off on his own. That was better than someone taking him.

"Where would Conner get a ladder from?" Jason asked. "We don�t have one� And I would have heard�Yes, I would've. I've heard him every time he's gotten up in the middle of the night. I would've heard it."

Michal wondered what they would do. Had he really been taken? Right out of his bedroom? That right there was really creepy.

"I'm not waiting around this time," Jason said stiffly. "And I know you'll agree with me. There's just too much right here telling me� I don't know who to call. The cops. Could we get an APB out or something? Why would he want him back?"

"Maybe there's fingerprints on the ladder�" Michal suggested.

Jason gave him a look. "We already know who it is, Mich� What Ma? No, he was saying we should take fingerprints off the ladder or something."

"To make sure," Michal insisted.

"Should I call the cops?" Jason asked. "I mean� It's sufficient evidence for them to have to do something, right?"

Michal got up to get a glass of water as Jason finished up on the phone. He almost wanted to yell at Jason to calm down. It wasn't Ma's fault that all this was happening, and Jason kept raising his voice to her as an easy target. He didn't say anything though. He knew Judy could take care of herself, andJason wasn't trying to give her a hard time either.

"Ugh." Jason hung up the phone hard. "This is so frustrating."

"It's really scary," Michal began, holding the glass of water in his hand. "I mean, abducting somebody out of their bedroom in the middle of the night? That's creepy."

"No s**t," Jason answered.

"What'd Ma say?"

He shook his head. "She's going to come home. Within the hour. They're caught up with some paperwork at the office, but she's going to leave as soon as possible. She told me to call the police now and see what they say."

"They'll love hearing from you, Jason, instead of about you."

"F**k off. That's what Ma said. It's not funny."

From his face, Michal could tell that Jason was in no mood for the teasing, about his own record or anything at all. He could understand that. He felt his stomach turn a little bit as he realized the seriousness. They had to figure out where Conner was.

"You know," Jason began. "I think the majority of kidnappings are by family members� That's crazy. It's a really high percentage."

"Yeah," Michal agreed.

"This dude's not even family though. I mean, it was his mother's boyfriend. I can't imagine that would still be� Well, it's an acquaintance. I wish I knew what was going through this guy's head..."

"Why would he want him back?" Michal began. "I don't get it."

"I don't know. He's sick. That's the only thing I can say about him. He's f*****g sick."

"Call the cops. Let's see what they say."

Jason picked up the phone again and sighed. It was going to be a long day.

--Not being able to sleep, as painful as it was, usually eventually ended. And it did for Conner as well, because after laying in bed anxiously for what seemed like hours, he eventually drifted off, only to awake, startled, the next morning to the sun filling the room and the space in the bed next to him empty.
He sat up quickly as the night flashed back into his head and he was flooded with fear when he remembered where he was and what had happened.

Where was Kevin now?

The door was still blocked by the chairs. He looked at it indecisively as he began to get out of bed. His back felt sore and he remembered Kevin trying to make him "understand". For the first time, he was really mad about it and wished he could do something.

He stood beside his bed thinking for a moment, sleep still hazing things over a little bit, but realizing he had to make some kind of move...

He started for the door and cautiously touched the first chair.

That was when Kevin emerged from the bathroom, looking irritated with a toothbrush hanging out of his mouth. "So you're finally up. Don't touch that door."
Conner wanted to point out that he was actually touching the chair, not the door, but kept his mouth shut. He looked at Kevin cautiously, having no idea what the man's plan or intent was.

"Your mother's birthday was yesterday�" Kevin said slowly, now holding the toothbrush in his hand. "Did you know that?"

Conner paused. His mother was sometimes vivid to him, strange like a person who was born in the wrong era, and other times she was a blur, like a ghost, crawling in and out of his memories. He shook his head. He didn't know it was her birthday.

"Figured you wouldn't know," Kevin said with the edge of disappointment that was always in his voice. "You were never that good to her."

Conner blinked. His mother died when he was seven. He wasn't sure how to respond.

Kevin just shook his head and went back into the bathroom.

Swallowing back some fear, Conner reached up at the chair again, slowly trying to slide the top chair off. It made a small noise against the other chair. He could almost lift it off.

"I said," Kevin reappeared from the bathroom, "don't touch it."

Startled, Conner turned abruptly and let go, knocking the chair off its balance. It clattered to the ground and Conner winced, expecting it to break. It luckily didn't, instead just laid on its side in an awkward position.

"See?" Kevin muttered. "You can't do anything. Just listen for once."

Conner pulled the chair upright and set it aside, away from the door. Kevin eyed him wearily from the other side of the room. Jack felt like he'd accomplished something at least, getting one chair out of the way.

"Just sit," Kevin replied. "We'll be outta here in a minute."

Conner waited for him to go back into the bathroom. He'd made up his mind that he would take that moment to run. He realized the door was also locked. He would have to undo the bolt lock and the chain. And he would have to do it quickly. He tried to time it out in his head. He should maybe do the locks first� Then push the chair away�

His heart was pounding.

Kevin didn't go back into the bathroom. Instead he walked back over to the TV and turned it on, flipping a few stations. "Just sit and watch TV. I just gotta wash up and we'll be outta here. Gotta check out at the desk and we'll hit the road."

Conner cautiously walked over and sat on the edge of the bed, pretending like he would actually listen and watch TV. Kevin had put the news on. He had no interest in the news at all and didn't know Kevin had either.

"We're gonna stop at your mother's grave first�" Kevin told him. "So you can apologize to her."

Conner didn't know what he meant, and he just sat there and looked at the TV, willing Kevin with his mind to go back to the bathroom. He felt sick. All this talk about his mother.

A moment later, Kevin did turn his back and head back to the bathroom, talking under his breath about how a year had been such a long time.

As soon as he was in the bathroom, even though the door was still open, Conner jumped up. He returned to the motel room door and licked his lips decisively. This was it. He had to do it now. With a quick glance towards the other side of the room, he reached up and slowly slid the chain lock off. He realized the other lock would be louder.

He paused. He was scared. He glanced back at the TV and then quietly walked over to it. He put the volume up a bit louder with a glance over to the bathroom.

Back at the door, he quickly undid the bolt lock. It was loud, clicking firmly back into place to unlock the door. As Conner pushed the chair behind him, he heard Kevin's yell,

"I told you to stay away from that door!"

As Kevin stormed towards him from the other side of the room, Conner threw open the door and started to run. He knew he just had to get away. He still had no shoes on, and the pavement was hard beneath his pounding feet.

He didn't know where to run, but he knew that if Kevin caught him he'd get the beating of his life for this. And he couldn't deal with that after last night. He couldn't deal with that at all.

He ran as fast as he could and wasted a second to look behind him. Kevin was just behind him by about twenty feet. He was bigger and faster, but Conner could run fast when he wanted. He raced around the side of the motel building towards the front, heart pounding in his chest so hard it would probably explode. He could hear Kevin yelling behind him.

Up on the left he saw the motel lobby sign. He headed for it as fast as his legs would take him. He ran up the side of the building, past all the cars and rooms, and turned at the sign for the front. Shrubs bit into his covered legs as he ran past them.

When he saw the door, he darted towards it, pushing it open as hard as he could and running towards the desk.

The girl at the desk, young, perhaps in her twenties, looked startled at the rushed entrance. Her dark eyes widened and she looked at the boy, who was panting and frantic.

"You have to help me!" Conner insisted. He rushed up to the desk and then, thinking about it, dashed around the desk to her side to duck beneath the counter.

"Help you?" she echoed, sweeping her dark hair off her shoulder. "With what? Look kid�"

"Please!" he hissed, feeling tears burning behind his eyes. "Please help me. Don't say I'm here! I'm not supposed to be here!"

"I�" she began and then cut herself off as someone else entered the lobby.

Conner crouched lower behind the counter, squeezing himself in between the waste basket and the computer terminal. He could hear it humming. Breathing heavily, he hugged his knees and squeezed his eyes shut. He prayed she wouldn't say anything; that she wouldn't give him away.

"Can I help you, sir?" he heard her ask.

When he heard Kevin's voice answer, his pulse raced and a couple tears slipped out of his eyes, rolling down his cheeks. Please don't say anything� he begged in his mind. Please...

"Yes," Kevin said. "Did a boy run in here?" His voice was rough, nearly out of breath as well.

"A boy?" she echoed. Conner watched her legs as she spoke. She was shifting back and forth.

"Yeah," Kevin continued. "He's about ten or so. He's my son. We were about to leave and he just ran off, like a joke. We play this game sometimes. See who can find each other first� But we're really on a schedule, and� I swear, I just saw him run in here."

"Uh� No�" she almost stuttered. "Sorry, no one just ran in here. It's been a pretty slow morning."

"Are you sure?" Kevin asked, the false patience in his voice fading. "I mean, he was just up ahead of me, and I swear�"

"No, sir. It's just been me in here, and I would've noticed I think. It's not too big a place. But if he turns up, I'll be sure to let you know�"

"Yeah� It's weird. I really swear I just saw him." Kevin's voice was suspicious, impatient. "I guess there's no where else to run to in here."

"What's your name and room number? In case I see him come by, I could give you a call."

Kevin hesitated. "Uh, yeah that's probably a good idea. It's Kevin Harris."

"And your room, sir?"

"107."

"Okay, I'll let you know then. Is there anything else you need?"

"No� That's it�"

Conner listened to the footsteps. He hoped Kevin would leave. He realized he was holding his breath and slowly let it out.

A moment later the girl peered down at him. "Hey, kid, he's gone. Is that who you were hiding from?"

Conner nodded.

"He seemed a little off� Was he chasing you?"

Conner nodded again.

"Look, I don�t usually lie for people� And I have no idea who you are or who he is, or even what's going on� Are you his son?"

Conner shook his head.

The girl frowned. "Look, I won't tell him where you are. I just figure I should know what's going on. I'm the only one here right now in the office, so�"

"He kidnapped me," Conner said quietly. "Last night."

Her eyes widened. "Are you serious? Then I should call the cops."

Conner shook his head quickly. "No, I just want to go. I don't want to talk to the cops. I don't want them to take me back to him."

"Why would they? If he's not your father and he kidnapped you?"

Conner shook his head and begged. "Please, don't call them�" He never knew what the cops would do, or where they would bring him. He didn't want to get them involved. Anytime there'd been cops before something bad had happened. They would probably make him see Kevin again. They would probably believe everything Kevin said. Kevin always convinced people he was a terrible kid.

"Okay�" she agreed reluctantly. "Although I think that's a bad idea. If you're telling the truth, you wouldn't mind me calling."

"It's different," he insisted quietly. "You can't."

"Okay, okay�" she agreed. She studied him for a moment and then reached down. As he flinched a little, she touched his chin and tilted his head up. "You have blood by your mouth," she said quietly, rubbing at the big smudge of dried blood on his chin by his lip. "Did he hit you?"

"I don't know," Conner answered reflexively, pulling his head away.

She frowned at him. "Okay. Well, let's start over. I'm Jenna." She put her hand down for him to shake.

He just stared at her hand.

She lowered his hand and raised her eyebrows. "Okay�. You're shy, I guess. C'mon. What's your name?"

"Conner," he admitted.

"Conner what?" she asked.

He hesitated. "I don�t know."

"You don't know your last name?" she persisted. "Look, if that guy is your dad and you are just in trouble or something�"

"He's not," Conner insisted. "Please don't call him."

She looked at him indecisively. "Okay, Conner. I won't. I just want to help."

He frowned, chewing on a fingernail nervously. His heart was pounding a little bit less now, but he still felt really nervous. He felt like any moment Kevin would come storming back into the lobby and figure out where he was. And this girl wouldn't be able to do anything but let him take him back.

"Is there a bus around here or something?" Conner asked softly. "I just need a bus or something."

"I have something better," she answered. "A phone. Tell me who I should call."

Jack hesitated. The only number he knew by memory was 911. And there was no way in hell he was calling 911.

Before he could answer, the phone rang, as if confirming that it was there. He got nervous at the sound of it, wondering who it was. Whether it was Kevin calling back. She turned away from him to grab the phone from the desk. He listened to her answer it nervously. She gave a formal motel greeting in a monotonous voice and then paused.

His stomach dropped. Was it him?

Then she said, "Sure, sir. We have extra towels right here at the main desk. You can come down and�Yes, sir. Anytime. Okay. Thank you."

She hung up the phone and then turned back to look at him. "Who can I�"

"Was that him?" Conner asked.

"Him? You mean that guy from before? No. No, that wasn't him," she answered. She gave him a concerned look. "Look, kid, are you okay?"

He set his jaw, hesitating. Then he asked softly. "Is there a bus?"

"If you don't live with him�" Jenna began gently, "then where do you live? Can I call them?"

"I don't know their phone number�" Conner admitted, leaning his head back. He rested it against the back of the desk.

"But you would want me to call them? Because I can look it up in the phone book," she persisted.

Conner hesitated, thinking about it. "I guess."

"Okay, good. What's their last name?" She reached across the desk to pull out a phone book from a row of flyers and books.

Conner stared at the carpet. "Um. O'Riley."

"O'Riley?" Jenna asked. A look of recognition passed over her face. "What O'Riley? I mean, what's the first name?"

Conner frowned. "Ju� Judy."

"Really." Jenna put down the phone book.

Conner frowned. He didn't get it.

"And Jason?" Jenna asked. "And Michal and Ian, also?"

Conner was silent for a moment of surprise. Then he asked, "How do you know that?"

A small smile crossed over her face. "I know the O'Rileys. Really well. Jason's really good friends with my brother, Dan."

Conner frowned. He remembered Dan. This was weird. He didn't know whether to trust her.

"I didn't know Jason had a new little brother," she said, now looking less suspicious of him. "I'll give him a call right now, okay?"

Making a face, still confused at the connection, Conner answered, "I guess."

When the phone rang, Jason was frustrated. He had just gotten off the phone with the police, who agreed to come by later in the afternoon, saying that most kids would turn up right away, and not fully understanding his ladder/kidnapping claim. Understanding Conner was a foster child and knowing a little of his background, they tried to assure Jason that he'd probably just run off and would be back.
No matter how many times Jason insisted that he knew what had actually happened, and that they didn't even own a ladder, they responded that they would be over in the afternoon if it was still needed.

Michal suggested that if he said "F**k" less on the phone, they would be more likely to listen to him. Jason's glare told him to back off.

When the phone rang again, Jason angrily thought to himself that maybe the police had rationalized the situation and were calling him back.

"Hello?" he said abruptly.

"Hello?" came a girl's voice. "Jason?"

"Yeah�?" Jason answered slowly. He had no idea who it was. "Who is this?"

"It's Jenna."

"Jenna�?" Jason responded in surprise. "Jesus. I haven't talked to you in ages. I just saw Dan the other day. How you doing, sweetheart?"

"I�m doing fine. I'm at work right now and I had something to tell you."

Jason cut her off, feeling guilty. "Look, Jenna, I'm really sorry, but this isn't the best time for me to talk. I'm gonna sound like an a*s here, but I don't want to tie up the phone lines�"

"I think I have something you want to hear, Jason," Jenna responded. "That's the reason I'm calling."

"Really?" Jason rubbed at his forehead tiredly. He didn't know what to say. He hadn't seen Jenna for a few months. Last he heard from Dan, she was still at school being the 'smart one'. He was always closer to Danny growing up, but had dated Jenna briefly, and messed around with her several more times behind everyone's back after they'd broken up

"You missing something?" Jenna asked. "Or someone?"

Michal was looking at Jason quizzically, especially after hearing it was Jenna on the line, who he was surprised was calling. The look that crossed Jason's face next was hard to decipher.

"Um. Yeah� Actually�" Jason began, puzzled. "Jenna, what's this about?"

"I have this kid here," Jenna persisted. "Weird story actually. But he's here at work with me, and he said he lived with you guys. I didn't know you had another kid brother."

"He's with you?" Jason demanded.

"Yeah. Like just walked in a few minutes okay. What do you want me to do?"

"Where do you work?" Jason asked, hastily looking for paper and a pen. He found some in a drawer by the phone.

Jenna gave the address of the motel. "I'm in the main office. In the front of the hotel."

"Is he alone?"

Jenna paused. "There was some guy here, Jason. Looking for him. I don�t know who he is."

Jason clenched his free hand into a fist. "Keep him with you. I'll be over as soon as I can."

"Okay."

"Thank you so much, Jenna."

"No problem, Jason."

Jason hung up the phone and turned to Michal. "You'll never believe this."

Michal frowned. "I'd never believe anything that happened this morning," he admitted. "Try me."--

"He's coming," Jenna told Conner.
Conner looked at her. He'd believe it when he saw it.

"You wanna sit out here?" she asked him, pointing to a chair behind her.

Conner shook his head. What if Kevin came back? He couldn't risk begin in plain view.

She looked at him quizzically and then just shrugged. "You don't live far from here," she said. "He should be here in just a couple of minutes if he left when he hung up."

Conner nodded. He hoped she was right. He felt really agitated and nervous. "If he comes back, don't tell him I'm here."

"The other guy? I know, honey�" she said earnestly. "I won't."

"Pretend I'm not here," he insisted. "Until Jason comes."

"Okay," she agreed.

A few minutes passed and Jason hadn't arrived. Jack began to feel suspicious of this girl. She was busy answering phones. The man that called for the towels came in to get them, and even though it was an innocent enough transaction, Conner found himself nearly shaking. He figured any minute Kevin would come back.

Finally, he heard the door open and heard a familiar voice say, "F*****g traffic� I'm sorry�"

"Hey, Jason," Jenna answered. "It's been a while."

"I know, it has. Where is he?" Jason demanded. "I've been going crazy, Jenna."

"He's here," Jenna responded.

Persuaded that it was actually Jason, Conner pushed himself out from behind the desk and rushed around over to Bobby, throwing him arms around him. "Jason!" he exclaimed in relief.

Jason was caught off guard a little bit, as he'd never seen Conner so happy to see him. At the same time, he was also overwhelmed to see Conner himself after the stress of the morning, and he hoisted him up into his arms. "I've been looking all over for you, Conner�" he said. "I left Michal at home by the phone."

Conner wrapped his arms around Jason's neck, burying his face in his shoulder. He ignored the fact that it hurt when the man rubbed his back, simply relieved that someone other than Kevin was here. He sniffled, the stress of the morning building up on him. "Are you mad at me?" he asked shakily.

Jason paused, frowning. "No, Conner. Why the hell would I be mad at you?" The kid was shaking like a leaf in the wind.

"I didn't mean to leave..." Conner persisted in a whispered into Jason's neck. "He came back... He made me..."

"I know. Did he hurt you?" Jason demanded. "At all? Is this where you've been?"

Conner was silent, breathing heavily into Jason's tshirt. He hugged his neck tighter. He'd never been happier to see Jason.

Jason sighed at the silence and pulled Conner up a little tighter, feeling his knees pressing into his sides. This was definitely the clingiest he had ever seen the kid. It filled him with a sense of protective anger. He wanted to find this Kevin guy and beat the s**t out of him.

"He's still here, Jason," Jenna offered gently, as if reading his mind. "I mean, he hasn't checked out yet. And he just came by, seriously like fifteen or twenty minutes ago looking for him. I think Conner ran away from their room."

"I�m gonna find him," Jason said decisively. "You know what room he's in?"

Conner was alarmed. He didn't want to go anywhere near Kevin again. He just wanted to leave this place. "Don't," Conner pleaded.

"It's fine," Jason assured him, squeezing him. "I need to see this infamous guy and show him a thing or two..."

"Jason, do you think that's a good idea?" Jenna objected. "Let me just call the cops. I'll�"

"What room is he in, Jenna?" Jason asked.

"He'll be back in here any minute to check out," Jenna insisted. "Let me call the cops." She picked up the phone, giving him a cautious look. "Check out's in like twenty minutes, so he's gonna have to come back here soon." Her voice was insistent.

Jason set his jaw.

"I can't just give you his room number and let you do this," Jenna answered. "I know you're stubborn, Jason, but just listen to me. I mean, it being against our policy is just the beginning."

Jason looked angry. He held Conner tightly. "I don't think you know who we're dealing with here."

"I don't think you do," she objected. "Jason, I understand what you want to do, but it's not smart, and you don't really have the right to do it. I'm going to call the police."

Conner stiffened. He hated the police. He hated Kevin too. He didn't want to see either ever again.

"If you go into that room," Jenna continued, "you're just gonna get yourself in trouble, Jason."

Jason knew that. He also knew that no one could convince him not to confront this person. He watched Jenna raise the phone to her ear and dial. He wasn't going to stop her. She was making the correct move.

He listened to her explain who she was on the phone and then attempt to explain the current situation. He tried to look at Conner, but the kid still had a strong grip on him and didn't seem to want to let go anytime soon. It was out of character for him, considering he always pulled away and wouldn't let Jason hold him for long, but he figured with the events of the morning and night, it was understandable.

"They said they'll be here soon," Jenna told him.

"Good," Jason answered.

He hoped Kevin got here before they did.


© 2008 lilfeather


Author's Note

lilfeather
Ok, you can all let out the breath you've been holding since Chapter 28..Conner is safe!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on July 17, 2008


Author

lilfeather
lilfeather

About
Things About Me Almost all of my writing is based off of people in my school. My real name is Lily. Im just a kid, teenager, whatever you want to call me. I am one of the biggest Eminem fans EVER. I l.. more..

Writing