Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by lmkeck3510

Elsa's

      

       "Come on, we need to find another portal," West said, grabbing my arm to get me to stand.  I shrugged off his arm and sat there like I had the last five minutes, staring into the alley and wondering what I did in a previous life to have deserved such awful luck.

       "Is she in shock?" Mave asked.  I laughed, it sounded hollow and manic and I could tell it scared them a little.

       "Shock, no I'm just wallowing for a moment.  I have three strong men to protect me so I'm going to do my womanly duty and faint.  Oh no!"  I threw my arm over my head, falling back onto my back in the filthy concrete.  Silence descended, all three of them looking down on me with half hidden smiles behind wary eyes.

       "There is no portal until the twenty minutes leading up till dawn.  We need to find a hotel for the night, preferably over a bar.  This time I won't use my magic to burn off some of the shots."  I winked at Mave and his face turned red.

       "You little cheat!" he yelled out, it would have had a better effect if he wasn't hiding a smirk.

       "You didn't make it a condition of the bet, it's your own fault.  You don't play unless you know the rules Mave, otherwise you will lose every time."  Mave reached a hand out and I rose to my feet, dusting off the back of my dress, and exposing my back to them.  I felt a touch in between my shoulder blades, and found West tracing a scar that ran the length of my spine.

       "Did he do that to you?" he asked, referring to my conversation with Candy.

       "Yeah," I said simply.

       "You didn't heal yourself?" he asked quizzically.

       "The strap was enchanted, that time he used the immortal fire.  It caused too much damage so he stopped."  He was running his hand up and down, and I closed my eyes, feeling a spark of unexpected pain.  I held my hand out to stop.

       "It's strange to feel something so pleasant on a spot that once burned, it's feel almost painful, to have it feel so good.  It's strange that I can handle the pain, but not the soft, it's like it is still burning."  I felt the tears that I had held back before splash onto the bottom hem of my dress.  West reached around and wrapped me up from behind, on arm around my shoulders, squeezing almost painfully but not letting me go.  It calmed me, and quelled the urge I had to scrub my back until I could erase the feel of his touch.

       "Alright, let's go find that bar.  I have a reputation to uphold," Mave said, staring me down.  I laughed, feeling the shaking coming from West as well, who was still holding me.  I selfishly made no move to peel myself off him either, but further burying my face in the crook of his elbow.  The red hairs on his arm were soft and rough at the same time, much like the owner.

       "I know just the place," I said finally leaving the confines of his arms and leading the way.

       "Are you sure?" Logan asked looking up to the sign.  It was faded, only a third of the letters glowed in the window and most of the windows were boarded.  It occurred to me that while going to these kind of bars was nothing unusual for me, they hadn't been exposed to the same. 

       "Have you ever been to a pit bar before?" I asked them all but mainly focused on Logan, feeling the most concern for him.

       "What do you think?" Mave said sarcastically back.  I held my hands up in surrender.

       "A few rules, staring is sure way to get punched, don't flash your powers at all unless you intend on fighting with them, and don't sleep with any females.  You've likely never known how to spot a siren or a lust demon and if you're not careful they can ruin you."

       "Ruin me?" Mave said with fake astonishment.

       "I've heard once you sleep with one it's impossible to orgasm with anyone else, they're that good.  But if you want to give it go just double wrap it.  Lust demons leave their offspring with the males to raise."  I raised an eyebrow daring him for a comeback. 

       "Good point, but if they fall all over themselves for me it can't be helped," he told me with a wink.  "Plus, if I need to, West can spot me condom, right bro?" he asked, and I felt the heat hit West's face next to me.  Just as he was about to take a swipe out of Mave, the door opened and the bouncer stepped into the overhead light.  He looked like a stereotypical leprechaun, and I was debating the odds that he really was one.  They were nasty little things, and I would take a vamp on over one any day.  It wasn't a surprise he was in charge of order.

       "Forty each, the lady is free," he said succinctly, holding out his palm for the cover.  I felt Mave cough to cover up a remark about the money but still forked over a few bills so we could get in.  The bouncer moved from the doorjamb to let us pass, and I decided it was probably safer for me to lead the way in. 

       The front of Elsa'a was a crowded area with high top tables, where various patrons were eating and drinking.  The left side was lined with dart boards, and a pool table adorned the corner.  Even though I was beyond used to it I found I had to tear my eyes away from the tails of the demons that were currently playing, their broad back looks even more formidable in the dark smoky light coming from the table.  The males always displayed their tails with pride, like an outward phallic symbol of their virility waving it around like proud peacocks.  I couldn't really argue with the logic of it, I was always a sucker for them, they were so magnificent.

       I scanned my way around and found a few tables towards the back, they sat much lower than the high ones in front, and were more for lounging than sitting an eating.  I pulled Mave along by the hand, worried when I saw his eyes fix on a particular pixie that was dressed in no more than a few scraps of cloth.  I plopped into a curved couch like seat, with West sitting next to me.  Mave and Logan shared a glance, curious and knowing smiles, and took up two chairs opposite us.

       "How did you know about this place?" Logan asked, as the waitress came over.  She was a vamp, I could read her power signature clearly.  I saw Logan eyes go round and then narrow, I felt the wince from me coming, I hoped we didn't just waste all that cover money only to have them go off on the staff.

       "Hello, what can I get you all?" she said as she approached the table.  She was tall and lithe, with bright red hair that suited her skin and eyes nicely.  Just this side of dramatic and goth without looking like she was trying too hard.  Her name tag said Gabriella, it was strategically placed right over her large breasts which Logan was practically salivating over. 

       "Four blood vodka's and four shots, bar's pick," Logan said smoothly, in a voice I hardly heard him use.  It was like listening to a different person.  He looked confident, just close enough to bored for her to have to work for attention. 

       "Bar's pick or my pick?" she asked, putting the pencil behind her ear and relaxing her stance.

       "I'd like to see what you come up with, please," he said gesturing for her to pick for us.  She smiled, like he was giving her a boon and it was all I could do not to open my mouth like a gaping fish.  The damn vampire actually giggled and then sauntered off towards the bar.

       "You better ask West for them now Mave, it looks like Logan is going to take the stash," I said glancing back to the bar to find the bartender glancing our way as she loaded up her tray.  Logan blushed a bit but sat up straighter.

       "It's like this all the time," West said with a grin, as Mave and Logan were leaning in and talking with each other.

       "Logan?" I asked, a look that matched my surprise.  West laughed and nodded.

       "He's the quiet one but the ladies always love him, it's like shooting fish in a barrel some nights.  He snags far more girls than Mave and it drives him insane, I'm sure they are arguing it out now.  They have a bit of a reputation back at school of working over the girls."  I could easily see that being the case, they were almost exact opposites and the ladies must just eat them up if they played it up with each other.  I nodded and then turned more towards West.

       "And you, what do you do during this?" I asked, a bit curious about the nature of his relationship with Raquel.  His face darkened a little and then he sighed.

       "You know the answer, but I'll pretend and say I sit and brood over finding the right one while keeping them out of trouble."  I laughed, liking the real and pretend answer all in one.  I waited, it was the perfect opportunity to tell me about him being promised to that she devil but it never came.  I gave him time, I understood the need for secrets, as long as it wasn't lies. 

       "I can see the brooding, but not the sitting.  I bet you’re a pacer, walking around and around when something bothers you."  He flashed a smile and nodded.

       "Yes, I have a problem with staying still.  What clued you in?"  He tilted his head in interest of my answer.

       "You have a lot of power in you, with your abilities centered in the mind sometimes it's hard to manifest in a satisfying way for your corporal form.  Your magic was meant to be free, and I doubt you are given many opportunities to let be as such."  I could feel him relax next to me, he threw his arm over the back of my seat.

       "Exactly," he said with a sigh.  Gabriella came back then, placing the tumblers around where we were seated and the shots in the middle. 

       "Where is yours?" Logan asked her as she turned to walk away.  She swung around smiling and dashed off towards the bar for her own.  She bolted back, shot in hand looking proud.

       "This is called the little chapel of love, it's an angel brew with a drop of ambrosia," she informed us as she held up the shot glass.  Mave held out a hand and extended it to me, an indication for me to speak.

       "I'm not an encyclopedia of toasts idiot, I'm going to use them all up in a week," I told him trying to look put out, but I was serious.

       "Oh yea, toasts!" Gabriella exclaimed like a teenager.  What a strange vampire.  I cleared my throat, and almost chocked when I felt West's hand rest on the back of my neck.  I tried to sound clear over the spike of adrenaline his hand sent through my body.

       "May you be in heaven a full hour, before the devil knows you're dead,"  I threw my head back and downed the shot, which was about the most delicious thing I had ever tasted.

       "Well, I would marry it," I said absentmindedly, turning the shot glass around my hand feeling the warmth spread through me. 

       "You have a great palate for drinks Gabriella, that was delicious," Logan said, not hiding the blush on his cheeks.  I though I heard her sigh as she looked to him, and then scampered off to work the other tables.  Who knew?

       "Have you ever had ambrosia?" I asked them seriously, as I noticed them swaying in their seats a bit.  "This tastes like one of the original recipes too, impressive."  They exchanges glances, clearly this was a first. 

       "Have you ever had altered drinks?  Tell me your used to these kinds of pit drinks, please," I said pleading with them against what I knew now was true.  Elsa's specialized in concoctions that were potent and very effective at best, and at worst they turned people completely mad.  "Limit yourself, and if it tastes really good don't do another one, stick to drinks with names like dragon or animal names.  And for gods sakes don't take any more ambrosia, just the drop will be enough for the night."  I saw Mave roll his eyes and I got up and grabbed his chin to look at me.

       "Maverick St. James, you will behave yourself.  I need to have a good time, and a good time hasn't come my way in well...ever.  For the first time I'm with people that I don't hate, not having to worry about my father or the governance.  You mess that up for me and you will pay," I said gesturing towards his privates in clear knowledge that I would be going for them first if he messed up tonight.  To my surprise he threw his head back and laughed, ruffling up my hair and shoving me lightly back to where I was sitting.  He fist bumped Logan, and he must have understood because a second later Logan yelled over his shoulder.

       "Hey gorgeous, I need one more of those shots for my...sister.  And a round of beers for me and my friends, use that smart mouth to pick," he winked at me and then he and Mave got up to claim a dart board on the wall.  I have never seen a vampire blush but she gave it old college try.

       "How do you feel about brooding and keeping me out of trouble this time?" I asked West, thinking about what all that ambrosia was going to do to me.

       "I got you," he said, squeezing my neck as Gabriella came to give me another shot. 

       "Do you?" I countered, throwing back the shot and tapping the table for another.  Gabriella raised an eyebrow but I nodded, I could handle it.  He didn't say much back to my question, he was waiting and searching my face and I uncharacteristically let him.  

       "I don't know what to do with you," he said, and while I found his answer lacking I could appreciate the honesty.

       "Is this where I insert a suggestive joke about what you can do with me?" I asked winking dramatically.  I was going for over the top, but the hand on my neck squeezed tighter and he sent me a scorching look.

       "Careful," he warned, giving me a gentle smile but his face was still tight.  I had the feeling he didn't like what I said.

       "Is that too much like the girls at home?" I asked, during the one party I had attended I didn't get a good chance to study how the kids were acting.  "Or too much like Raquel?" I ventured out, testing the waters again.  It probably wasn't a good sign that he downed his beer in about two seconds before he answered.

       "Do we have to talk about her?" he clipped out, sounding weary. 

       "I'm not the kind of person to ignore an elephant in the room, and she sure is one.  Plus, you can't keep touching me and being kind to me if you have to hold back at some point because of her," I explained to him, hoping that he couldn't hear the way my heart was pounding out of my chest.

       "I'm here with you now.  Can that be enough?" he asked, hope in his eyes.

       "For now, but what about when it's not enough, then what happens?  When I want more, do you get to go back to her?  Because let me tell you, I don't know a whole lot about healthy relationships, and my experience with love no less friendships is limited, but that s**t isn't going to work with me West.  I'm the kind of person who can never be full, I can never have enough, so you give me all you got or get out of the way.  Though if I must request it, I'll take the former."  I could hardly hear myself talk over the beat it was drumming in my head.  This seemed an important point in the conversation, in our tentative friendship.

       "It's so easy for you, so clear for you to throw down an ultimatum when you are not in my position.  I have expectations and responsibilities, people are relying on me to do the right thing."  He had a point, I was never faced with wanting to please others.

       "And I'm the wrong thing?" I asked boldly, daring him to take it back.

       "You're a different thing, and sometimes different looks wrong."  I knew he was right, but when it applied to me I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth.

       "It doesn't look wrong to you, or your friends, or your brother."  His face turned stony at my assessment.  "It doesn't feel wrong to me." 

       "It doesn't feel wrong to me either," he said, pulling me closer to him and running a hand out of cup my jaw.  He ran his thumb over the hinge of my jaw, I could see his eyes tracing over the patch of skin on my face.

       "Then it's easy, you give me you, and I give you me, and to hell with the rest of them," I said with a shaky laugh and we pulled apart when a shadow fell over the table.  I was about to snap when I realized it was out waitress.

         As if she sensed I needed it, Gabiella placed two shots in front me and made a hasty retreat back to where Mave and Logan were playing.  She was getting a giant tip tonight for that alone.  I threw back each shot, noticing that it was a different than the ones previous.  The slight taste of blueberries, and the blue swirling syrup at the bottom should have clued me in before I shot them.

     



© 2013 lmkeck3510


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on September 17, 2013
Last Updated on September 17, 2013


Author

lmkeck3510
lmkeck3510

Dayton, OH



About
I am a reader, writer, and lover of urban fantasy/ paranormal/ romance genres. I have several completed novels, and much more that are clamoring in my head to be given a voice. When I'm not writing,.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by lmkeck3510