Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by lmkeck3510

The Return

      

       I had been staying in hotels the entire week, hopping from one to another erratically, using different names and spending most of my time putting up wards all over the room.  I feared Remy would come for me sooner, or send Ren, which would be just as devastating to me.  I stayed in as much as I could, ordering room service and never surfacing for more than a few minutes.   I did it all knowing it was just delaying the inevitable.  I was going to run out of money living like this, but I didn't see an alternative at the moment and I had to stay close enough to school to walk until my bike got here.

       Now it was judgment day, Monday morning, and I found myself giving my own version of a pep talk in the bathroom mirror.  This hotel was the closest to the school, only a five minute city bus ride in so I still had time to spare unless I wanted to be the first person to arrive, which wasn't going to be happening.  I stared at the skirt and polo I had just tried to iron to perfection, staring crisp and clean back at me.  I felt prepared, and unprepared at the same time, an anxiety of knowing that I wanted to try and make things right when I went back.  I couldn't be mouthing off, flashing my powers, or attacking everyone that talked to me if I had a chance of graduating.  I took a deep breath, gathering all the self-pride and power my small body could handle and walked out down to catch the bus.

       The ride was packed full of people, mostly adults that were going to work in the city.  I felt a little out of place amongst all these humans, I was never raised around them, being very isolated in our little trailer community.  I had to remember not to stare, and above all, not to whip out my magic and cause a panic.  We pulled up a few lights before the school, a sporty SUV coming to rest right outside the window I was sitting at.  I looked over when I saw motion, and noticed it was Mave and Logan grinning and waving at me through their own windows.  I gave them a small smile back, which disappeared quickly when the back window rolled down to reveal West.  I turned my head after a small wave, clutching the worn paperback up to my face and pretending to be lost in the novel.  The light turned green, and by the time the bus was slowing returning to its normal speed the car was nowhere in sight. 

       I was the only person to stop at Front St., where the school intersected with Elm, and made a lonely pilgrimage up to the front doors.  I figured I was in for a stop at Marion's office, and wanted to save the eventual loudspeaker call down later on in the day.  I found the front doors were locked, and made my way around the sides to use the normal student entrance back there.  I had just rounded the corner when I saw West with his normal group of friends, Raquel also in tow.  There dashed my hopes he was pining away for me while I was gone this week.  It made little difference in how I felt about him, and I doubted that Dante had come to his sense to share my skeptical outlook on what had happened over the summer.  I had done my best the past week to try and block out West and Raquel, sometimes succeeding and sometimes finding it impossible not to think of the tragedy of it all.  My instincts were to tell him what I thought, but I wasn't sure he was ready for it.  It's one thing to tell him I think he's my mate, and another altogether to tell him the fiancé he's with was either never pregnant or cheating on him.  That would go well for me, I'm sure of it.

       Mave and Logan elbowed on another and I gave them a breezy wave on my way to the back doors.  Once I crossed the threshold into school, the whispers and pointing started, perhaps even worse than before.  In truth, after everything I had already gone through, I could care less what they were saying.  I managed to snake my way through the halls to the secretary, who looked surprised to see me standing before her.  She didn't as much as twitch before, and I had a feeling that didn't bode well for my meeting.

       "Go on back," she said, hitting a few buttons on the desk in front of her as I walked on by.  I knocked on the door tentatively, and was called in by her voice almost immediately.  I opened the door, staring a bit dumbfounded at the persons occupying the chairs.  West's parents were sitting in each of the chairs, jumping up quickly when I came in and wrapping me in a hug.

       "Thank goodness," she said, letting me go to have a good look at me.  I glanced at Marion who seemed to be as shocked as I was about their behavior.  "Seth and I felt so bad about letting you go last week, things happened so fast and then you were gone, and when we couldn't find you we feared the worst," she said, looking misty eyed into my face.

       "You were looking for me?" I asked, completely at a loss for words.

       "Things happened so fast that night, and the next morning, we didn't get a chance to discuss things and then you were gone.  We couldn't figure out where you went, and then your bike came in for you but we had no way of contacting you.  That's why we came here today in the hopes you would show up."

       "You were looking for me?" I parroted back like an idiot, repeated my earlier question.  This seemed to only make Madlen sadder. 

       "Seth and I want you to stay with us," she explained, rendering me mute.  I just stood there staring at her, not believing what she was saying.  "Brienne?" she asked when I looked to Marion, trying to remind myself this wasn't some warped dream.  She nodded at me, a small smile gracing the corner of her lips.

       "You want me, to live with you?" I asked again, finding it hard to believe what was happening.  I hated to be so dramatic and slow, but no one had ever wanted me before, literally.

       "You need a secure place to stay while in school, and there is no equal in the county.  You'll be safe there, and you can finish out the school year with us.  Then when you graduate we can help you get on your feet," Madlen said, standing in front of Seth with a proud smile on his face. 

       "I um, that's not a good idea," I finally managed to squeak out to them, finding it hard to locate the right words.  "Remy is going to come after me, probably not for a little while but he'll try still.  Dante isn't my biggest fan, and West and I are..." I trailed off, not knowing of an accurate enough synonym for complicated.

       "Well, you can't enroll here without a permanent address," Marion said, slipping back into headmistress mode once again.  "So you either find one, or you can take the MacKinnons up on their generous offer.  And if I can give my opinion, your father will think twice about storming into their house to get you than if you are holed up in some apartment," she added in, shrugging like it was of little consequence to her.  

       "We won't hover, in fact Seth has to get back to the complex come next week so you won't see much of us until winter solstice," Madlen informed me, pleading with her eyes. 

       "Why would you want me?" I blurted out, which only seemed to increase the sadness in Madlen once again.

       "I remember you from your hearing, I'll never forget it actually.  It still wakes me up at night, what he did to you, what you endured and survived.  I kept seeing my son’s faces when I looked in yours, and I couldn't bear thinking of you living alone after everything.  The boys seem to really like you, and that doesn't happen often.  I think you all are good for each other, and all your magic will be stronger for it, what's not to like?" she joked, her misting eyes filling a bit more despite her forced happy tone.  I felt uncomfortable, not wanting to, and desperately wanting to take them up on their offer.  I looked to Marion, who seemed to be intently listening to the exchange.  She gave me another quick nod, a quick sign of approval, breaking the debate in my head.

       "I'll have to pay you rent, it wouldn't feel right.  It's to only way I'll agree," I said firmly, still unable to imagine this was happening to me.

       "Deal," Seth said, reaching out his broad arm to shake my own.  I gave him a good one back, looking him in the eye as I did it.  Madlen threw me to her, her slight and short body similar in shape to my own, crushing me in another hug. 

       "Good, we'll see you later then.  Seth brought your bike and helmet in the back of the truck, he'll unload it for you and put in the front lot," she said, giving me one last look and then leaving the room.  Seth reached into his pocket, throwing me the keys with a wink and leaving right behind his wife.  The only thing I could do was look around the room in astonishment, noticing a clear smile on Marion's face as I did.

       "I don't have anything else for you, besides to tell you not to use your magic against the other students.  You know our limits now.  Somehow I think keeping within them won't be a problem anymore, yeah?" she asked, raising an eyebrow and shooing me out with her other hand.  Like she didn't just turn my world on its face.

       ***

    

       I walked into the cafeteria later on, having survived the beginning of the day with some success.  History was a problem, there were few unoccupied seats and I had to sit next to Mave and Logan, avoiding altogether the seat that was right next to West.  I chatted with the two easily, glossing over the heavy topics and sticking to safe ones only.  It may have been childish of me, but I ignored West as best I could.  From the expression on his face as he saw which seat I chose I didn't think he liked it much.  I was just trying to get though the day today, and I didn't know if he was aware of his parent's little visit this morning.

       As I scanned the crowded lunch room, I didn't see too many open tables or any tables that were filled by West.  I could hear the kids still whispering as I past, but I was too concerned with finding an open table to be bothered much.  I was just about to debate going outside when Mave spotted me. 

       "Bri!" he yelled out from across the far end of the cafeteria.  The noise level dropped suddenly, and everyone craned their necks to see who was calling out to me.  "Come on!" he yelled again, patting the empty seat across from Logan and him.  I was already spotting, and openly dissing him wasn't going to do me any favors, so I made my way slowly back to the table.  My leg was still a little sore, and I used that as an excuse to eat up as much time as I could between here and there.

       I dropped my tray, scanning the table out of the corner of my eye.  I didn't see West, or Raquel, and I let out a breath at the relief.  The rest I could handle, but not that.

       "Bri is a cheese Maverick," I said, using his full name, and making it clear I didn't like that particular nickname.

       "Noted," he said, saluting me ironically with his cheese stick. 

       "How's the first day back?" Logan asked sincerely from across me.  It was impossible not to smile at him, he was so damn nice.

       "It's okay," I said shrugging and biting into an apple.  "The bus ride sucked, but Seth said my bike was back," I told them, realizing too late my mistake.

       "My dad was here?" West asked as he dropped into the chair next to me, thankfully with no cling-on in sight.  I inwardly cursed my lack of good timing, where was he lurking before?  I thought I was in the clear.

       "Oh um, I saw him in Marion's office," I said casually, though no one took it that way. 

       "What were your parents doing in Marion's office?" Mave said, trying to joke and insinuate he was in trouble.

       "They didn't mention it, that's odd.  Did you hear anything?" West asked, taking a huge bite out of the taco salad on his plate.

       "They were looking for me," I told them simply, leaving it at that and foolishly thinking they would as well.

       "I told you there were digging around to see if anyone spotted her," Mave said, holding his hand out to West like they had a bet going.  West in turned glared back, willing him silent.  I didn't say anything else, even though the guys, as well as several others were waiting for me to continue.  I didn't see much of a way out of it, so I obliged.  "They asked me to stay at the house," I told them going for the short and sweet version and hoping they would fill in the blanks from there.

       "Stay at whose house?" Mave asked, grunting under the table as Logan kicked him.

       "At their house, I'm paying rent," I explained holding up a finger, finding it necessary to add that detail in.

       "You’re staying at my house?" West asked again, not making any sense why he needed me to say it again.  He took another more aggressive bite of his lunch, looking almost angry.  Wonderful.

       "Yeah," I said, marveling at my brilliant answer.  We ate for the next ten minutes in complete silence, but the waves of tension rolling off West were starting to get to me.

       "When are your parent's leaving for work?" Mave asked, face lit up like he got a sudden idea.

       "Thursday night, you thinking what I'm thinking?" he asked, mirroring the smile on Mave's face. 

       "I'm thinking of making it a long weekend, lake cabin and we skip Friday," Mave said, holding his hand up for Logan to high five.  West joined in as I tried to stay as still as possible.  If they didn't see me then they couldn't rope me into it as well.

       "We haven't been to the cabin in so long," Logan said, looking like he was really enjoying the idea of going back.

       "It'll be great Brienne, the house is right on the lake with boats and canoes and tons of fishing and s**t.  Plus there's next to no one around so it's great for ragers," Mave said to me.  Apparently I wasn't doing a good job of blending in.

       "Well I can't skip," I said using it as an excuse for not going. 

       "So come on Friday night," Mave said encouragingly.  I felt conflicted, wanting to be a part of their world and not feeling brave enough to attempt it.  West was doing his best not to look at me, and I didn't know what that meant.

       "I shouldn't," I said, jerking my head in West's direction to get them to stop pushing.  I thought it was plain he didn't want me there but they must have through otherwise.

       "Oh don't mind West, he's had his head up his a*s all week," Mave said winking at me.  Logan laughed nervously as West popped his head up long enough to push his head back from the table and walk away. 

       "It's going to be bad enough sharing a house with him Mave, don't tease him," I pleaded with him.  The table was sparse now, just a few other people were seated and most of them were out of ear shot.

       "He's been about as much fun as rock this whole week, I tease when needed.  I have to keep him from getting to serious, and since hurricane Brienne, he's been insufferable," he said fanning himself and laughing along with Logan.

       "Raquel is going to kill me in my sleep," I decided, knowing definitively that was how I was going to die.

       "Oh I didn't think about her, yeah you might want to keep something sharp by your head," Logan said, resting his hand on my shoulder in sympathy. 

       "I survived being a Moreau, I survived the curse, and I'm going to be brought down by an eighteen year old little witch," I mumbled to myself, knowing that a woman with a mission was not something to mess with.

       "The curse?  I remember someone talking about it when rumor went round you were coming here, care to remind us?" Mave asked, eyes alight with interest.  I should take up a vow of silence, it would do me much better.  After a long bite of my apple, and a deep breath I continued.

       "The Moreau's line goes back almost to the beginning, but we weren't always royalty," I started, noticing the guys were ignoring everything around them to concentrate on me.  "We spent much time as trusted advisors, a line of my descendants were the seconds of the king, helping with decisions, and even acting in his stead when he was gone on business."

       "Like Ned Stark?" Mave asked, looking like at any moment he might grovel at my feet if I said yes.

       "I have no idea who that is, but if he fits the description," I said warily, not liking how that made Mave look at me.  I continued on before he said something else I didn't understand.  "Eventually, that wasn't enough for one of my ancestors and they made a play to overthrow the throne.  It's a common story, they thought they could do better, could make more of difference, they wanted to live the life of the king not kiss his a*s all the time.  You know the drill.

       "Only this ancestor wasn't a he, it was a she.  She was the wife of the advisor, and her husband was a real idiot who never took his role as advisor with any real seriousness.  She wasn't content to just take over the advisor position, she wanted the crown for herself, finding it unfair that women weren't given more rights back then.  So, she seduced the king, conspiring with her husband to kill the king while he had no viable heirs.  Because of her husband’s position he would be named king, and she would rule with him, though she never intended to follow through on that part.  She planned on killing her husband as well, so she could be queen alone.  It was executed with precision, everything she wanted was coming true as they successfully killed the king, and then she made her final plans for the death of her husband.  On the night she was supposed to carry it out, her husband found out and confronted her.  He never checked her for weapons though, and during the commotion of the argument he never saw the knife she kept in her bodice.  She stabbed him right in the heart with it, and as he was dying he cursed her.  He cursed that every generation the male children born would be mad, they would be crazy, stupid, and irrational leaders who would never retain their positions for long, dying early and painful deaths at the hands of those that love them."

       "Ouch," Logan said, looking aghast.

       "Oh the boys got it easy though, he cursed her female descendants that they would never find love, never find their true mates, and when they did they would be rejected and seen as the jezebels they truly were.  So you see, I've survived one curse, succumbed to another, and here I am.  Brielle Moreau, the sole heir to the throne that no longer exists, with an insane irrational father, and a mate that is promised to another.  Thanks great great great great great great great grandmother for f*****g it up for the rest of us," I said raising my hand to toast my milk.  I took a shot and looked finding two very bewildered looking guys staring back at me.

       "You think West is your mate?" Logan asked, barely audible over the noise.  It was a whisper, as soft as the brush of a feather.

       "I won't get the chance to know, and that's the really sad part.  I'll never know," I said, spotting Raquel and West talking across the room.  It seemed like they were having an argument but I thought my brain was just making things up at this point.

       "Over my dead body," Mave said turning towards me.  "I heard what you said in the hallway that night, about your parents, and I knew it then.  I know it with every bit of magic in me as well, and I'll be damned if I let her drag him down the aisle."  I reached out and grabbed his hand, not knowing why.  Mave looked surprised as well, looking from my hand to his like it held a grenade.  I saw West snap his eyes to what we were doing, a look of pure fury filling his face we he saw us embrace.

       "Not a good idea," Logan said, separating our hands and looking upon West as well.  "He's been a few sandwiches short of a picnic with you missing all week, we don't need to make it worse," he said wisely, grabbing my hand under the table for reassurance.  I held on back, feeling the storm coming in and hoping I could count on these two to help me weather it.


© 2013 lmkeck3510


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on September 17, 2013
Last Updated on September 17, 2013


Author

lmkeck3510
lmkeck3510

Dayton, OH



About
I am a reader, writer, and lover of urban fantasy/ paranormal/ romance genres. I have several completed novels, and much more that are clamoring in my head to be given a voice. When I'm not writing,.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by lmkeck3510