Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Scarlett Dale

I entered the cafeteria and looked for a table; most were full and the some that weren’t had kids I didn't know. I sighed and scanned the room again with hope. I hated being the new kid and I especially hated the first day at a new school.

My eyes locked onto a table some kids had just vacated. I blew a stray hair from my face and walked over to it and sat down. Part way through my food I sensed someone next to me, glancing up I saw the beautiful ice blue eyes of boy staring at me. He had short golden hair, and he was athletic looking with strong arms and a trim body.

“Hi, are you new here?” He asked sitting down across from me. I nodded, wondering what he wanted. “I thought so, my name's Kyle, what's yours?” He asked extending a hand.

Shaking it I said, “Abebi Lake, but please just call me Bebe.”

Kyle's eyes twinkled like stars, “nice to meet you Bebe. Did you just move here?”

This boy had to have a reason for coming over, I thought; then said, “yes I did.”

“That’s cool.” He glanced over at another table before speaking again, “hey, I was just wondering if you'd like to sit with me and a few friends.” Kyle pointed to the table near-by with three other guys. 

“Well I don’t really think-“ I started to say, shaking my head.

-You know you shouldn’t.-

 I know! But what do I do? I have no knowledge with these- these-

 -Distractions?-

My dear unsuspecting and innocent world, here you will have the pleasure of meeting my troublesome conscience. I admit it has guided me pretty wisely through the years but lately it’s been acting a little cocky and ambitious.

“Come on I insist, you can't sit here by yourself, you’re a senior! You should at least be sitting with someone. You’ll enjoy it I promise.”

I looked over at the other table, then back to Kyle, "well-"

 "Great!" Kyle smiled and took my tray. I wondered if he ever lets anyone finish their sentences. I smiled a little and followed him to the table of distractions-  I mean boys.

Since I can remember, I was always a very timid girl, with not-so-often outbursts of confidence. Since thirteen I had decided that I didn't want the troubles of any guys in my life, it was girl friends only. I had concluded that boys were only put on this world as distractions; things to mess up your life, to completely rip up your heart and lifestyle. Setting my mind on that, it had kept me in the clear; until now. 

Sitting down where Kyle had set my tray I watched as my new life unfolded before my unsuspecting eyes. "Kyle! Man you got her to come over! Sweet," a dark curly haired boy said, by his attitude and voice I could tell that he loved to joke. 

  Kyle rolled his eyes as I blushed,  "guys this is Abebi Lake but she said to just call her Bebe." He turned to me, "Bebe, this is Seth, Jerry, and Biff." I smiled and shook each boys hand as he was introduced.   

Seth, the dark haired one that had spoken before, flipped his medium length hair out of his face and asked, "so where are you from, like-  Japan?" Biff, olive skinned with deep chocolate eyes, thumped him on the head. He seemed like the kind of guy that would rescue the poor kitten in a tree before he thought of himself. 

I tried not to laugh, Seth  wasn’t to blame; with my brown, almost black hair pulled back from my oval face, and my black eyes and my creamy tan skin I did look foreign. "It's okay Biff. No Seth I'm not from Japan, I was born in Iowa, but I do have Spanish and French ancestors which could be why I look foreign."   

All four boys looked at me. "Really?" Jerry asked, his piercing green eyes showing interest. He was medium height, and looked like he could be the more responsible one of the group.

I nodded, "don't you believe me?" I asked looking into his eyes. The school bell rang making me jump and snapping me out of my trance. I gathered my stuff, said a hurried 'good-bye' and left before they had a chance to say anything.

On my way to my locker I scolded myself for talking to those boys. 

-What do you think you were doing?!-

What do you mean? I told you I have no knowledge of these guys.

-Then listen to me when it comes to them, we don’t need them.-

But-

-No buts, they're distractions and we agreed never to make contact-.

I know we- hey! We?.

-Don’t change the subject, they'll just mess with your mind and get you off track.-

But I-

-Oh just shut up, your late for class.-

I Finished my last classes of the day without so much as seeing the boys again. I sighed with relief but it came to soon. On my way to the street I heard,"Bebe, wait up!" I stopped and turned around, it was Kyle. "Do you need a ride home? `Cause I can take you in my car-"

This time I stopped his sentence, "no thanks, I like to walk." I saw a flash of disappointment on his face as I walked away.

-Nice burn! That should stop `em if you keep that up.-

Halfway to the street another voice called for me to stop. Again I turned around,. "Bebe, can I walk you home?" This time it was Seth.

"Um thanks for the offer Seth, but it's not a long walk and I like the time to think."

"Oh, okay well I'll see you tomorrow then." Seth shuffled back in the other direction. I felt bad, they were just being nice and I was turning them down like I was some stuck up brat. I continued my walk. 

I shouldn’t have been so mean.  

-Don't feel bad.. they had it coming.- 

No they didn't, what’s up with you anyways?. 

-Oh come on, you’ve listened to me before what different now? You aren’t have second thoughts are you? -

No- of course not.

I reached my house and ran up to my room. I dropped my book bag on the floor and quickly got out my diary. I was writing about the days events when the phone rang. “Baby! It's for you," my mom yelled up the stairs.

"Kay!" I yelled back and grabbed the phone beside my bed. "Hello?"

"Hey Bebe! Guess who?" 

I gasped, it was my friend Corrine, I hadn't talked to her since I had moved. "Cory! I am so glad you called, I need your advice." I explained to her about the boys I had met and asked her what I should do. 

"I really don't see the problem Bebe, you can't run from guys forever." After a few more words we said good-by. I slowly hung up the phone thinking about what Cory had said. 

Maybe she is right.

-Are you kidding?!-

No, maybe she is, maybe I should start talking to guys like every other girl in the world.

-Oh gosh, you can’t be serious, Bebe you aren’t like other girls, you’re different, your smart.-

I am?

-Yes! Of course, who won that math fair two years ago? And the Science one last year?-

I did didn’t I? Maybe I am different. Gosh I’m hungry.

-Always getting off track.-

After I had raided the fridge, I went out on our front wrap-around porch and curled up on the swing and munched on some Oreos, thinking about what to do with the ‘distraction’ problem. I was just starting to dose off when for the third time that day I heard a male voice, “Bebe?” I opened my eyes to see Jerry standing at the end of our walk.

“Jerry? What are you doing here? How did you know where I lived?” I asked, quickly getting off the swing and pushing back stray hairs.

 Jerry walked up the porch steps, “I live just down the street. I didn’t know you lived here!”

 “Well I don’t- I mean I do- but I didn’t-” I sighed. “I just moved in.”

-Oh that was smooth.-

Jerry smiled, his sandy red hair falling into his face, “I see, well that’s cool. Maybe I could walk you to school tomorrow then, unless you’d rather not.” I couldn’t stand it; something deep inside told me not to turn him down. For once I went against my conscience.

“Sure, that sounds good Jerry.”

 “Cool, I’ll stop by tomorrow morning then.” With that he walked down the porch steps and on down the street.

 



© 2010 Scarlett Dale


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a battle of the subconscious and conscious mind! I love the conflict! Well, on to the next chapter!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was really very descriptive, regarding any other first chapter...I found it more real and something with which the mass could relate themselves to.
Great job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting write, very discriptive...I loved it!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 6, 2009
Last Updated on April 9, 2010


Author

Scarlett Dale
Scarlett Dale

About
I'm what you call a strange person. I love to write and when I do I feel as if it's coming straight from my heart onto the paper. Especially with my poetry. I was never one for poetry (writing it anyw.. more..

Writing
Ashes Ashes

A Poem by Scarlett Dale