Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Scarlett Dale

A little later I went to my locker, I twirled the dial and opened the door. A little flat box sat in the middle of my stack of books. I picked it up looking for a card or tag, but there was none. I slipped the ribbon off and opened the lid. My eyes grew big-

Inside was a small cute lizard. As I took it out carefully I wondered who gave it to me, I couldn’t remember telling anyone I liked them. Then it hit me. Vadia. She must have thought I’d scream and she’d get a good laugh, but I was the one laughing, I was laughing so hard I was crying. I quickly stopped when I saw kids looking at me.

Everyone thinks I’m insane.

-Well look at yourself.-

Thanks a lot.

I went outside to let the lizard go but stopped as I opened the box.

-What if we gave Vadia a little gift for being so nice?-

 I smirked as I walked back into the school. After school I searched for Kyle, remembering he had a car. Why is it that when you need to find someone you can never find them, but when you don’t want them to, they find you. Like yesterday when I wanted to escape the boys but somehow each found me? But I’m getting off track back to the story.

I searched everywhere, and then finally came to the gym. I walked in and saw Kyle and a few other boys that I didn’t know, walking out.

“Kyle!” I called. “I need to talk to you.” Gosh, when did I get so bold? I watched as a few of the boys smiled and punched Kyle in the arm playfully. Kyle waved them off and came over.

  “What did you need Bebe?” He smiled as he said it, so I knew he was getting a kick out of this.

I looked down at my clasped hands; it had seemed so easy in my mind. But now when I was really asking him, it was hard. “Well I- that is-“ I stopped and took a breath. “I need you to drive me to the pet shop.” I winced, waiting for him to laugh or something, but he didn’t. I opened one eye and looked at him.

“What are you doing?” he asked with a confused look in his eyes. “I’m not going to bite you, you know.”

“Oh-“ I giggled nervously, “I was just thinking. Anyways, if you can’t take me that’s fine I’ll-“

Crossing his arms Kyle said, “I never said I wouldn’t.”

“You never said you would either.” I replied with a slight smile. 

Kyle laughed then offered his arm. “Come on, let’s go to the pet shop.”

The conversation we had while driving to the pet shop could hardly be recognized as one. We just mostly listened to music and I watched out the window.

When we pulled up at the store, I practically jumped out of the car; I was so excited about scaring Vadia. I walked directly to the creepy creature section of the store, I slowly went over every creature they had. This had to be perfect.

“What exactly are you doing?” Kyle asked, coming up behind me. My smile quickly faded.   

"Um I promised my- uh- little cousin I'd pick something up for him."  

-Wow now you’re lying?-

But I can't tell him what I’m doing.

-I know...but you just lied to him and he was nice enough to bring you here. Even though you shouldn’t have asked.-

Well it was just a ride and I can tell him later if I have to.   

"I see, well what does he want?" Kyle said walking over to look at the tank I was looking at. "Does he want one of these?" He seemed a little surprised.   

"Oh yeah! I mean- yeah he wanted that one." I pointed casually. The spider was exactly what I wanted, a giant hairy tarantula. That should scare the wits out of Vadia.   

The man at the counter grabbed one out for us and put it in a small case. I paid for it and Kyle and I left. The way to my house was just as quiet as the last ride.    

We pulled up at my house and I hopped out and shut the car door. "Thanks for the ride Kyle. I- appreciate it." I said. 

 "No problem, anytime. Don't be afraid to ask again." With that he drove off. I couldn't wait until tomorrow; I couldn't wait to see Vadia's face. This could get fun.

 

 

The next day I grabbed my book bag, the spider and a banana and headed out the door. I was actually excited about going to school, which was strange for me.

All through my classes I thought of a way to give Vadia my little ‘gift’. I had to do it so she wouldn’t suspect me, but how?  Then it hit me. “Perfect!” I shouted, then I feet a blush creep up to my cheeks.

 “Something you’d like you share Miss Lake?” Mrs. Benson, my math teacher, asked. All the kids were staring at me and a few were snickering.

 “N- no Mrs. Benson, I just figured a problem out.” Hey, I wasn’t lying, it was a problem, just not in math and I didn’t have to tell her unless she asked, right? Mrs. Benson continued talking and I went back to my evil plan.

In between classes I went to my locker, grabbed the spider and went to the girl’s room. I locked myself in a stall and opened the spider case. A smile played on my lips as I looked down at the hairy creature. I replaced the lid then dug in my pocket for a piece of folded wrapping paper.

As quickly as possible I wrapped it up and tied a ribbon around it. Satisfied with the result I fished a small card out of my pocket, and began scribbling.

Vadia,

    I searched everywhere until I

   Found this perfect gift for you.

                            A secret admirer

I placed the card under the ribbon then covered the package with my sweater and hurried out of the bathroom. A bell was just ringing so I ran to my locker, shoved the gift inside, grabbed the books I needed and hurried to my next class.

I was just walking out of my science class when Vadia walked up.

Just act sweet, don’t give her a reason to suspect you for anything.

-Oh yeah, it’s like trying to be nice to a wildcat. You can try but it’ll still eat you.-

“Abebi! Why didn’t you join us at lunch yesterday? We waited for you, but you never came. Then we found out you had joined the boys.” Vadia flashed me a fake ‘you can’t get away with that’ smile.

“Oh I’m sorry, it completely slipped my mind when the boys practically drug me to their table. And I was going to tell you about it but then I found an awful lizard in my locker and I was so shook up for the rest of the day.” I said putting on a ‘shy and innocent’ look.

Vadia’s eyes glinted when I mentioned the lizard but changed almost instantly to full of sympathy. “Oh Abebi! It must have been terrible! You poor thing, we totally understand about you not telling us about the lunch thing, don’t we girls?” She asked bobbing her head and placing a hand on my shoulder, the other three girls bobbed their heads like trained monkeys.

-Someone should give them a banana for good behavior.-

Don’t be so mean.

-Oh sure yet your giving Vadia a tarantula? What logic is that?-

“Abebi? Are you still shaken up about yesterday?” Vadia asked with fake concern in her voice.

I gave my head a shake to clear it. “No I’m good, it’s just that the boys asked me to sit with them again.” I saw a flash of anger in Vadia’s eyes.

“Oh well if they asked first, maybe Monday we can sit together.”

-Wait this could be a chance for front row seats-

You’re right!

-I always am.-

 

“You know what, I really want to get to know you guys, I’ll tell the boys and I’ll see you at lunch.” I said excitedly.

 “Great!” She gave me a quick hug then snapped her fingers for Melcia, Topanga, and Amelia to follow. I sadly shook my head as they walked away.

Poor monkeys.

-Psh, yeah. But I have to admit that Vadia has class and a very devious mind.-

Yikes! You’re right.



© 2010 Scarlett Dale


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on March 8, 2009
Last Updated on April 9, 2010


Author

Scarlett Dale
Scarlett Dale

About
I'm what you call a strange person. I love to write and when I do I feel as if it's coming straight from my heart onto the paper. Especially with my poetry. I was never one for poetry (writing it anyw.. more..

Writing
Ashes Ashes

A Poem by Scarlett Dale