Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Scarlett Dale

Later, at the end of the day I heard Biff being called over the PA system. Instantly I knew that Vadia had mentioned Biff giving her the spider. Tears of anger started forming in my eyes.

What have I gotten myself into?

-A terrible mess, which all started with those boys.-

The boys.

-Yes, the boys. If you would have listened, then you wouldn’t have gotten on Vadia’s bad side in the first place and none of this would have happened.-

You’re right. But what do I do about Biff? I can’t let him take the blame. I have to do something.

-What can you do? Nothing. Just forget them.-

No. I have to get him out of this mess. And I’ll do it by myself.

-Yes just shut me off, don’t listen to me by all means. I was wrong the first time. You wouldn’t want to listen to me a second time.-

Oh quit beating yourself up.

I wiped my tears away, and went to the principal’s office. Everyone was pretty much gone for the day, so I stood by the door and listened to the conversation going on inside.

Principal Collins was speaking. “Mr. Cohen, I was going to call you earlier, but decided to let you finish your classes. Now you would be the last person I’d expect to pull a prank like this.  Miss Romero was very upset.”  I cringed at Vadia’s name.

  “I know Principal Collins. What exactly did Vadia tell you?” Biff asked. I could hear Principal Collin’s shift in his seat.

“Well, she said that she and the three other girls were sitting at their table when you walked up to her. She said that you handed her a gift wrapped box and said, “someone gave this to me to give you.” Now Mr. Cohen was it you pulling the prank or did someone give you that package?”

I shifted my weight to my other foot and leaned in closer to the door. What was Biff going to say?

I should go in there.

-And get in trouble? No way.-

But I’m going to get in trouble anyway. Now or later.

-Well I go for later. But don’t listen to me.-

Okay, I won’t.

I was just about to walk in the door when I heard Biff’s voice. “I did it sir.”

“Come now Mr. Cohen, do you honestly think I can believe that? I need to know, so I can straighten this out.” Principal Collins said. I held my breath. I had to do something. I couldn’t let Biff take the blame for this.

  I was just deciding to walk away, and come up with a plan when one of my books slipped from my arms and hit the tiled floor with a resounding SMACK! I froze, my heart beating wildly, as I heard Biff and Principal Collins jump from their chairs.


Biff must have been closer to the door because he opened it and stared at me with his mouth open. Principal Collins stood behind him with shock on his face.

I was the first one to speak. “I’m sorry! I was- uh walking by when one of my books fell. I didn’t mean to, really!”

-Mark that lie in the book.-

This is not the time.

Biff shut his mouth and just looked at me, waiting for Principal Collins to say something. Principal Collins blinked a few times then opened his mouth. “Miss Lake come in my office right now.”  I grabbed my book and hurried past Biff.

“Take a seat.” Principal Collins said gesturing to the two chairs in front of his desk. I looked at them for a moment then sat down. Biff came up and sat next to me in the other chair. “Now, Miss Lake I would like to know what business you had listening outside my door.”

I shifted in my seat. “Sir, I told you I was just walking by,” my last words died on my lips as I glanced at Biff. I wanted to tell everything, I truly did. I wanted to tell Principal Collins what happened with Vadia, and what she did to me. I wanted to tell him that I was the one that gave her the spider, and had convinced Biff to deliver it. I wanted to tell him that I was the one that caused Vadia to slap him in the face. I especially wanted to tell Biff that I was sorry for everything, and that I would take the blame. But I couldn’t. Nothing would come from my mouth. My throat just ached and I could feel tears rising to my eyes.

“Sir I’m sorry,” I choked out, taking a chance. “I-I have to get home, my mom will be worried.” I looked down at my hands, knowing that if I looked up I couldn’t see anyone with my blurry eyes anyways.

Principal Collins must have seen the tears falling because he didn’t try to keep me there. “Go ahead and leave Miss Lake, but I’ll talk to you on Monday.” I was out of my chair and out the door before he finished his sentence. I needed to think, I needed to clear my head, and most of all I needed to get away from Biff’s gaze.

I ran out of the school parking lot and down the blocks to my favorite park. Not having a car stinks. If I had one I’d be halfway out of town right now. I reached the park and walked slowly to my sitting area. It was a little cove running alongside the pond, it had wild flowers all around and a natural bench out of a fallen log and some stones. It was surrounded by trees so no one could see me, but they were positioned just right that I could see anyone coming that way.

  I’d found it a few days after moving. I knew other people knew it was there, but whenever I came no one was in sight so I dubbed it my secret spot. As I curled up on the bench, I thought back to my old days when I had Beth, and Kate to talk to. I didn’t have to deal with boys, I had no problems with popular’s and their monkeys. I was just a quiet girl in the background.

Now look at me, I’m a lying, evil planning, nasty girl that hangs out with distractions... horribly sweet ones.

-I told you, but you didn’t listen. You should just dump it all now, and start over.-

And what? Imagine that it never happened? I can’t do that, I’m not that way, I don’t leave someone hanging like that.

-Sort of like what you just did?-

My other half was right, I did just leave Biff to fend for himself. Of course he could tell Principal Collins that I did it then he’d be on his merry little way. But that didn’t sound like Biff, he seemed like the kind of guy that would defend someone as long as he could.

I jumped of the little bench and started back to the street. I had an idea. I wasn’t sure how it would work, or if it even would work, but I had to try.

 

  I ran to my street and walked past my house. I walked slowly studying each house as I passed them. Finally I spotted the one I was after. I hadn’t known what house really, I was just hoping, but luck seemed to be with me because I saw Jerry sitting on the porch steps.

“Jerry!” I yelled. Boy I sure am getting good with calling guys now. Wonder what Cory would say.

“Bebe? What are you doing here?” Jerry asked standing up as I came closer. I knew he could see my tear stained face, but I didn’t care.

“I need your help. Actually I need everyone’s help. Can you call Seth and Kyle and ask them to come over?”

 Jerry looked at me intently for a few seconds then went inside. I sank wearily to the steps.

I hope I know what I’m doing.

-So do I.-

Can’t you just help me for once?

-If I did that then you wouldn’t need me ever.-

That’s what I thought you were going to say.

  Kyle’s car pulled up to the curb and he and Seth jumped out as Jerry came back out on the porch. “What’s going on?” Kyle asked as he sat down next to me.

 Jerry sat down on my other side. “I’m not sure, but I think I have an idea.”

  Seth sat down by my feet and I smiled slightly. I toyed with my shirt for a minute then looked up. “Guys, we have a big problem. Biff is getting blamed for the prank I pulled.” I stated flatly.

Seth’s eyes showed surprise, and Kyle’s showed disbelief. Jerry said “I don’t doubt it, he was the one that gave Vadia that gift. Who else is she supposed to think? A new girl that’s too timid to disobey her?” No not Jerry too. Having Biff disappointed in me was hard enough, but now him too?

My throat ached again and I struggled to hold back tears of frustration, but I  couldn’t hold anything in anymore. “What’s wrong with you guys! Can’t you see I’m trying to fix it? I want everything okay again!” I shouted jumping off the porch missing Seth’s head by inches. “I’m sorry for what I did okay? I shouldn’t have done it, I shouldn’t have dragged Biff into it But I wasn’t about to let Vadia rule me on what I could or couldn’t do.” I ran down the block to my house leaving the three stunned boys behind forever.

Never again will I speak to those, those, distractions!

-Now you’re talking sense.-

I’m not in the mood for you right now.

-okay, okay. Don’t bite my head off.-

 



© 2010 Scarlett Dale


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on March 24, 2009
Last Updated on April 9, 2010


Author

Scarlett Dale
Scarlett Dale

About
I'm what you call a strange person. I love to write and when I do I feel as if it's coming straight from my heart onto the paper. Especially with my poetry. I was never one for poetry (writing it anyw.. more..

Writing
Ashes Ashes

A Poem by Scarlett Dale