Do be or Not to be? That is the Question!

Do be or Not to be? That is the Question!

A Chapter by MandaBear
"

What would Disney be like without a princess?

"
                  



So with Disney having so many princesses did they forget the really girl? Should we ask for another princess movie? Should we demand a "real" girl movie? or should we say if it's not broken don't fix it? Well lets examine both sides of the argument.


Disney Formula- Looks, Personality, Talent and a story to tell.

                                

Have you ever noticed that the Disney princesses are basically "perfect". Not a hair out of place or a pimple to speak of. Their bodies look as though they don't eat and if they do you either don't see them or they eat so much and some how never gain an ounce. Tell me which princess do you see actually eat and gain a few pounds? None! Now I am not saying that if you eat and eat and eat that being huge is something to aspire to but come on get real! So besides looks you have personality. All the Disney princesses are kind sweet, have a heart. So on and So on. Most of them do show rebellion at least a little. Most of them have Talent- singing, dancing, fighting. Of course you can say that not one of them is tone deaf or off key. Not one of them miss a step while dancing and they all seem to know the dance moves just right! Now I could go on and on about that point forever but to save time I wont. So most of them have a story to tell. Their evil step mother is trying to kill them, they have to bring on honor to their family, they had a evil spell put on them when they were little whatever the case may be. My life certainly is not that exciting. Just a normal girl with normal girl problems. However, maybe the magic of the Disney princess is the combination of these things which is what makes them great. Maybe that is what keeps us coming back. Maybe it's because we know as little girls we wish we could have lives like that but know we can't so we have someone do it for us. 


So lets look at the other side of the argument.
         
        

What about the normal looking girls? what about the acne prone? The hair out of place, the constantly changing color hair girls? The ones that have a little weight?  Are we so stuck on what a girl should look like that we forget about the common girl? Society today is so focused on a girl that has to be 2 pounds otherwise she is overweight and some how not as pretty as the 2 pound girl. Now again I will bring up that being overweight like billion pounds is neither pleasant to look at nor healthy to be. However, would it be so wrong for Disney to dream up a girl that is for lack of a better word "Normal" looking girl? As far as personality you have so much you can do with that. Why can't we have  the average nerdy girl or punk rocker chick, or whatever kind of girl be the heroine of the story? What about the girl that can do some crazy talent be the heroine? Do we really have to have just this one standard of Heroine? Damsel in distress. Always needs saving? Does she always have to have a happy ending? Have to get the prince all the time? Maybe that is what the other movies are for. Sure the princesses are great don't get me wrong. Just wish that one day we would get a real princess. So the question is Are we as society ready for a non traditional princess? One that has flaws maybe not just in here person but outside as well. The average everyday kind of girl that has no royal attachment at all? Are we really ready for someone that doesn't have to save the world to make a difference? Or save china or her prince or even need saving her self?? Would that make a for a boring movie? Do you think we could one day come up with a different Disney formula? When that day comes or if that day comes it will rock the air waves for sure. 


What do you think? What kind of princess would you like to see? Or should I say what kind of girl would you like to see? Do you think it would make for a boring movie if we took the "princess" out of the equation? 



                           
Of course in that same spectrum what about the boys? Should we rethink the whole prince aspect to? They come in and save the day, get the girl in the end. Pretty much that's it for them. Sure they have an adventure in the middle but it has become so predicable. So should Disney try something new with both the Princesses and the Prince? Should we say heck with all that again if it's not broken don't try to fix it? But how long can you really run on the same thing before people get bored with it? Example - Planes (I know not princess) Planes is basically Cars the movie just in the sky. What is going to be next Boats? Trying to stretch an idea to make a buck. But I guess rolling with it until it dies is what works. You will always find someone watching the same Disney movie over and over again because they love it. I am not an exception. Do you know who many times I have seen Mega mind? or Little Mermaid? You would think I was crazy. But like I said based on the Disney formula is the reason you keep coming back to the movies over and over again. Couldn't we say that if they made the movie strong enough we would see it over and over again even if it wasn't a quote unquote princess? or prince?  


Let me know what you think! 





Do you Agree? Disagree?
Agree
Disagree
free online polls





© 2013 MandaBear


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
Added on August 23, 2013
Last Updated on September 6, 2013
Tags: Disney, princess, story, question