Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Shawna May Sipes

Sarah and I headed back to our room groceries in arms.


Moon Berry salads suck by the way.


But a moon berry daiquiri sounds f*****g amazing.


Chill, happy hour is at five with Abby when she lands.


We stopped at our door and I fiddled in my purse for my keys.


“What’s this?” Sarah asked. I looked up and saw her take an envelope off the door.  I set the bags down on the ground. “It’s for you.” She handed it to me.


I looked at the post address and saw ‘Yale Offices’. I tore it open and started read it.


Dear Layla  Cartrite,

I sincerely regret to inform you that you are here by suspended from The Yale University for 80 days due to alcohol abuse on Yale property during the last school year. We were informed of your discrepancies by an anonymous adviser. Please vacate your premacies before the date marked below. You may come back when your suspension is up. Please call the number listed below with any questions you may have.

Thank you,

Robert Bladford

Yale.

Vacate date: 09/15/13

Please call for any questions: (634) 888-9537


“Are you f*****g kidding me?” I yelled slamming the paper in my purse. Sarah looked at me concerned.


“What?” She questioned.


I could feel the tears starting to swell and my face turn beat red. Anger consumed me and I pushed the door open.


Sarah followed me in with the bags and managed to get them on the counter. I was pacing back and forth with my phone in my hand.


That f*****g b***h.. that f*****g b***h.. that f*****g b***h!


“Layla what’s wrong?” Sarah asked starting to put the groceries in the fridge.


I dialed Phoebe’s number and kept pacing.


Voice mail.


“You stupid f*****g c**t what the hell? You called the school on me or was it Liam?” I searched through my purse on the counter for my cigarettes. “I’ll bet it was Liam. What? Did I drunk dial you too f*****g much? Maybe, I wouldn’t have to do that if you f*****g called or texted me back once in awhile?!” I lit up my cigarette and took a long drag. “Phoebe what the f**k happened to you? Why would you do this to me I’m f*****g suspended now.”


“What!?” Sarah said shocked. I looked at her and motioned one minute.


“I hope you’re f*****g happy.” I slammed the phone on the counter and took another puff. I put both my hands on the table and stared down at the counter.


“You’re suspended? Why?” Sarah said walking over to me. I sat down at the counter and took another puff.


“Yup, because my ex best friend is a c**t and told the school I was drinking in my dorm last year.” I snapped. “Do vegetarians drink?” I flicked my cigarette in the sink and looked up at her.


“Like fish.” She smiled. “Are you twenty one?”


“Yeah. You?” I took another drag.


“Yeah.” She smiled. I stood up and walked back over to my phone.


“Great. My real best friend is coming soon. She’s supposed to be staying with me but I have to leave by the end of the week so I guess were gonna get sent back to Pennsylvania.” I said picking up my phone. “I’m gonna call my parents and tell them what happened.”


“Are they going to be mad?” She asked nervously balling up the bags and tossing them in a recycling bin?


When did we get that?


She probably brought it, she’s a vegan.


I nodded. “Yeah, they’re gonna be pissed.” I walked into my room and dialed my moms number.

It rang a couple times before she answered. “Hello?”


I sat down on my bed and started picking at my dress. “Hi, I’m coming home in a week.”


“Why sweetie? You just got there!” She said confused. I could feel the tears coming again.


“I got suspended for 80 days, because I had alcohol in my dorm room last year.” I said choking up as she gasped.


“What!? Why were you drinking?” She asked concerned.


“I don’t know.” Was all I could say.


She didn’t say anything.


“I knew. Josh’s mom told me you had drunk dialed there a couple times looking for him.” She sighed.


I mentally smacked myself across the face.


“Are you serious?” I exclaimed. “Does he know I did that?” I snapped myself out of it. “If you knew then why didn’t you say anything?”


“He doesn’t know and because I thought if you had a serious problem you would have told me.” She said. “Do you have a problem?”


“No, not anymore.” I said back. “Not since that b***h Phoebe. Who by the way is the reason I’m suspended.” I stood back up and started walking out of my room into the living room.


“What did she do?” She asked interested.


I sat down on the couch. “She called the board and told them I was drinking under age in my dorm. Uh, she was defiantly doing it too.” I pulled my feet up on the couch.


“Oh my god you’re kidding.” She said astounded. “Why would she do that?”


I shifted my eyes toward the window and saw cars going by all the beautiful trees. “I may have drunk dialed her a couple times during the summer.”


“Layla, she’s married. She’s not gonna leave him to be your friend again.” She sounded sad.


“Mom, I’m fine. I stopped drinking as much. I only drink when it’s appropriate.” I sighed. She doesn’t seem as mad, but I know my dad is gonna be pissed.


“Okay, when will you be home?” She asked probably running over to the calendar to jot it down.


“I’ll be home in 3 days.” I said. My phone started to beep and I pulled it away and saw ‘Abigail’ “I gotta go mom Abby is calling I think she landed.”


“Okay sweetie I’ll see you on Thursday I love you!” She called.


“I love you too.” I switched over to Abby.


“Hey what building do you live in?” She asked.


"Hey what building do you live in?" She asked. I could hear the students in the  back ground talking an  laughing.

"You mean did, South wing of the Eisenhower Building room 208." I sighed.

I slipped my heels back on and headed for the door.

"What?" She snapped. "What do you mean did?" I could suddenly hear her voice down the stair well.

"Meaning that b***h Phoebe got me suspended." I said dryly.

I saw her walking up the steps toward me so I hung up on her.

Abby flipped her dark brown hair to the side and looked up at me sadly. "Are you serious? What did she do?"

I pulled her in for a hug. "Told the board I was drinking in the dorms." I took her suit case from her and we started walking back up the stairs. "I gotta go back home in three days."

"I just got here." She snapped. "This is bullshit I told you to just leave her alone." She walked in front of me annoyed.

"How was I supposed to know she would do this s**t." I snapped back jogging up beside her.

"Uh cause she's a b***h." She said dryly. "So we have to leave in three days that's so s****y."

I opened up my door and walked into the kitchen. "Tell me about it and I'm gonna miss so much s**t in school."

Sarah came out of her room and looked at Abby's purse. "Is that real leather?"

Abby looked down at her purse. "Yeah, why?" She gave me a weird look.

Ah Jesus.

"Do you have any idea what that's made of?! Dead animal skin that they kill to get." She snapped harshly giving Abby a dirty look.

"I know, I'm Abigail Chase." She said proudly. I rolled my eyes at her.

Abby is kind of a smart a*s spit fire Latino. I met her two years ago when I was home for the summer. She was beating the crap out of her ex- boyfriend at a party. She walked over to me afterwards and asked for a cigarette.

I liked her immediately.

Her grandfather is the creator of the brand 'Chase The Leather' a high end leather company. Her family is filthy rich.

Sarah's jaw dropped and I lit up a cigarette. "As in Chase The Leather?!" She was pissed.

Abby's face lowered. "Wait, I know who you are. Your that crazy b***h that punched me in the face at my bopito's store opening in San Francisco!"

I stifled a laugh and coughed out smoke. "Crazy protest girl?!"

I heard the story right after it happened. Abby called me freaking out saying some crazy protester punched her in the face when she was leaving the opening.

"Your family should be ashamed of themselves! They murder animals everyday just to make a couple boots and bags." She said disgusted.

Abby stood up and walked over to her.”Estúpido arrogante chochos cara Americano!”  She spat angrily. I followed her to hold her back, but it was too late.

BAM. She punched her dead in the nose.

Ah f**k.

"Abby chill!" I yelled grabbing ahold of her.

Sarah crumpled to the ground and shot back up. "Oh, you're out of here b***h."

Abby struggled to break free and I dropped my cigarette on the floor.

"Well." Someone said from the door way. We turned around and saw a petite middle aged woman in a dress suit. "Miss Cartrite I came to see if you received our letter, but I can see you're a bit busy, so I'll just make this simple."

"Ma'am I did get it and I can explain this-" she cut me off.

She walked in and narrowed her eyes at me. "Your suspension starts now Miss Cartrite. Please take your friend and vacate the premises." She turned toward Abby. "And as for you young lady you are hear by band from the property. Hitting another student is against the rules here at Yale."

"Listen lady this crazy tree hugger hit me first." Abby spat. I gave her a death glare and she shut up.

"Okay ma'am, were leaving." I said sadly. I looked at Sarah. "I'm sorry all this happened. I hope you will welcome be back when my suspension is over."

She smiled and nodded. "Just don't bring her back."

The woman walked out and I headed to my room to grab my stuff.

"Come on Abby." I said tugging her with me.



© 2013 Shawna May Sipes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 9, 2013


Author

Shawna May Sipes
Shawna May Sipes

Chambersburg, PA



About
About 6 or so years ago I had more then 30 stories under my belt, but then I went through a traumatic experience and could never pick writing back up. I had a journal however and wrote about my lif.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shawna May Sipes