Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Shawna May Sipes

“Dad, are you serious?” I snapped from across the table. “You’re an engineer, why do you need a secretary?”


He took a bite of his steak and chewed slowly. “To answer the phones and set up appointments.”


I looked at my mom. “This isn’t fair. I have to finish my story.” I crossed my arms and pouted.


“Well, Layla did you really think we would just let you sit around the house during your suspension?” She said calmly cutting her steak. “I mean honestly you need some responsibility in your life.”


“When will Frederick and Stella finally be together?” Cameron asked excitedly.


I looked over at her and smiled. “Now, if I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise.” I playfully flipped her long curly blonde hair across her face.


She giggled. “But I wanna know!” She whined.


I shot my mom and dad a look. “Well it’s not going to be for a little while if I have to get a job.”


“Now, stop it. It’s either you work with your father or you come around to my client’s homes and help decorate.” My mom sighed.


Ugh manual labor.


“When do I start?” I sighed back looking at my dad.


He blotted his napkin on his lips. “Tomorrow.” He answered. “Dress appropriately. No showing off your stomach or legs.”


I crossed my arms offended. “I don’t dress like some s**t, dad.”


My mom quickly covered Cameron’s ears dropping her knife and fork. “Watch your language, Layla!” She hissed.


“Dead I am the one, Exterminating son
Slipping through the trees, strangling the breeze
Dead I am the sky, watching angels cry
While they slowly turn, conquering the worm

Dig through the ditches,
And burn through the witches..”
I heard my phone ringing from my room. “Can I go get that?” I asked my mom nicely.

She nodded and I hopped up from the table and ran down the hall to my room.


“Weak and want you need, nowhere as you bleed..”


“Hello?” I answered digging through my night stand for my cigarettes.


“Hey, what are you doing tonight?” Abby asked. I could hear the air in the background.


I opened my window and lit up my cigarette. “ Nothing, dude I got to go work for my dad tomorrow.” I took a long hit.


“Ah mi!” She gasped. “Your favorite person is back town.”


I almost dropped my cigarette. “Pheobe?” I asked worriedly.


“Si, la perra estúpida.” She said. “The b***h is back.”


I took an even longer drag off my cigarette nearly burning my lungs. “Meet me at Red Hott in 30 minutes.” I breathed out the smoke.


“Broc is with me. Is that okay?” She asked hopeful.


I threw my cigarette out the window and pulled on my ‘Pink’ hoodie. “That’s fine, just no Josh.” I said pulling the sleeves through. “I’ll see you in a little.”


“Just breathe Layla.” Abby said before hanging up.


Breathe!? I wanna punch her in the f*****g face.


That’s the spirit!


I paced around in my room, my chuck tailors scraping the hard wood.


What do I do? I can’t just attack her. I can’t just walk to her house and be like ‘Hey remember me? Your bestfriend!’


Ah, f**k. This is more complicated then Josh.


I walked out to the kitchen after grabbing my car keys.


“I’ll be back in a little, I’m meeting Abby at Red Hott.” I said to my mom who was washing the dishes.


She turned around and wiped her hands off on the apron she was wearing. “No drinking tonight, Layla. You have to be at your father’s garage at 8.”


“I know, I know.” I nodded. “I’ll be home okay?” I turned on my heel and ran down my stairs.


“Okay!” I heard my mom call before I walked out the door.


I pulled my hair into a pony tail as I sat in my front seat pondering what I’m going to do.


I could call her and tell her I know she’s in town. She can’t ignore me then.


Yes, she easily could.


I turned onto the road and drove to the bar.


I wonder why she’s even here. Last I heard she was in college up in North Dakota.


Maybe, Liam got deployed and she didn’t want to be alone.


Or a family member died.


Her grandmother did go through cancer twice.


Ah, s**t.


I feel a memory coming.


I grabbed the zombie out of the cooler behind the rock.


People were gathered around by the fire and Phoebe was down the path on the phone with Liam.


“Layla come take a shot with me!” Abby smiled from by the fire.


“I’m just going to go check on Phoebs. I’ll be back!” I called before dashing down the path.


I saw Phoebe sitting on a log on the side of the path crying.


“Liam, you can’t make me do that.” She sobbed as she ran her hand through her hair.


I sat down beside her and put my arm around her shoulder. “What’s going on?” I asked as I lit up a cigarette.


“Okay, I’ll do it.” She cried. “I love you too.” She hung up the phone and put her head in her hands and started balling.


“Hey, what’s wrong?” I said sadly crouching down in front of her. “Don’t cry.”


She looked at me with tears running down her face and without hesitation she latched onto me and pulled me in for a long hug. “I have to go.” She said when she let go.


“I can come with you if you want to talk about it.” I said.


She wiped her cheeks and shook her head. “I’m okay, really.” She smiled and stood up putting her phone in her back pocket.


“Okay. Call me tomorrow?” I asked standing up too.


She pulled me in for another hug, this time it felt final.


“I will.” She smiled and walked down the path.


She lied.


That was the last time I saw her until she was leaving for North Dakota.


Liam gave her an ultimatum.


Me or him.


She chose him.


I wiped my tears away getting out of my car and walked into the bar.


“Layla! Mi pobre bebé!” Abby cried running over to me. “My poor baby has been crying.” She wiped my tears away.

I looked over at the bar and saw Broc sitting there staring at his phone.


There were a couple tables filled with people laughing and joking around.


“I need a drink, but I can’t get wasted.” I sighed. “I start work tomorrow.” I narrowed my eyes at the thought.


Abby grabbed my hand and we walked over to the bar, her light pink sundress swaying below her feet.


“So how did you find out?” I asked as I took a seat on the bar stool. “Just a miller light, Donald.” I said looking over at him.


“Well, er, Josh told me.” Broc said. “He told me to tell you, but Abby was too excited to wait.” He playfully grabbed her side.


Donald sat my beer in front of me. “Now don’t be getting drunk Layla. Your father called me and said you are to be at work by 8.”


I rolled my eyes taking a swig. “I know.” I lit up a cigarette. “Okay and how does Josh know?”


“He saw her moving her things back into her parent’s house.” He said pulling Abby onto his lap. “I don’t think she’s moving back though.”


I took a hit of my cigarette and nodded. “Okay, so now what?”


He took a drink of his beer. “There’s a welcome home party for her tonight. I say we crash it.” He smirked.


I smirked back. “Hell yes.”


Dios mio!” Abby yelled. “You two are crazy.”


“What’s the plan?”


I turned around and saw Josh.


I shot Abby a dirty look and she looked down.


“Hey man I didn’t think you would show.” Broc said patting his shoulder. “Were crashing Phoeb’s welcome home party.”


“Excuse us.” I broke in and grabbed Abby’s hand dragging her to the bathroom with me. “What the f**k!” I yelled when we shut the door behind us.


“Calmar crio punta.” She spat rubbing her hand. “He begged to come see you.” She turned to the mirror and fixed her hair.

I think she just called me crazy b***h.


“Uh, he tried to put his hand down my pants the other morning.” I snapped.


She turned around wide eyed. “Oh, Dios mío! Did you let him?” She asked excited.


“No, of course not.” I narrowed my eyes. “Let’s just get this s**t over with.”


We  walked back over to the bar.


“Okay here’s the plan..” Broc started to explain.


Better be a good one.



© 2013 Shawna May Sipes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 9, 2013


Author

Shawna May Sipes
Shawna May Sipes

Chambersburg, PA



About
About 6 or so years ago I had more then 30 stories under my belt, but then I went through a traumatic experience and could never pick writing back up. I had a journal however and wrote about my lif.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shawna May Sipes