Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Shawna May Sipes

I played with my food as I looked around my table at the happy people.


Josh and Torie sat across from me and Josh’s parents were on either side of me.


“So, Layla how’s the story coming along?” Josh’s mom Mandy smiled at me.


I smiled back. “Almost finished.” I said before taking a bite of my meat loaf. “Iv’e been a little preoccupied working at my dad’s shop.”


“Workin’ hard I assume.” Josh’s dad said before taking a sip of wine.


“Always.” I chuckled before sipping my own.


I looked over at Josh and Torie who were eating quietly.


“Layla, when is your next chapter going to be up?” Cameron asked with a mouth full of mashed potatoes.


“Tomorrow probably.” I laughed at her. “It’s not polite to talk with your mouth full.”

She closed her mouth and smiled.


“Torie, would you like some wine?” My mom asked going get the bottle.


“Oh, no thank you Mrs. Cartrite. I can’t drink.” She smiled looking at me. She nudged Josh to look up.


          He did slowly.


“We have some news to share with you guys.” She smirked as I took a bite of meat loaf.


“Torie, not now.” Josh said quietly looking over at me.


She gave him a dirty look. “I guess I’m the only one excited about the baby.”


I choked on my meat loaf and spit it out causing everyone to look at me.


My mom gave me a somber look. “Layla-“


“I-I I have to go.” I stuttered out and ran from the table into my room.


I shakily pulled my phone out and called Abby.


“Hola, mi ablo Abigail.”


“BAR NOW!” I screamed and hung up.


“Layla..”


I turned around and saw Josh’s sad eyes. “Get the f**k away from me!” I snapped harshly and shoved passed him.


He didn’t stop me as I ran down the stairs and out the door.


I slammed my head on my steering wheel and let out an earth shattering scream unable to control my tears.


Is this real?


Why is this happening?


Why aren’t you saying anything back!


I don’t know what to say..


Say it isn’t real.


It won’t be once we get to the bar.


I wiped my face furiously as I walked into the bar.


“Bottle of black whisky please and two shot glasses.” I choked out shoving my money towards Donald.


He shook his head but handed me the entire bottle.


I poured a shot and sucked it back.


I sat there and cried my eyes out not caring that people were looking at me.


I put my hands over my mouth and rested my elbows on the bar.


“Layla, mi amore.” Abby said sitting down next to me. She put her hand on my shoulder. “Whisky? What happened?”


I took another shot and lit up a cigarette with my shaky hands. “Tories pregnant.” I cried taking a puff of my cigarette.


Her jaw dropped. “Oh, mi dios no puedo creer que!” She gasped.


I took another shot and started balling again. “I waited too long.” I cried softly.


“No baby this isn’t your fault.” She said putting her arms around me. “It’s faulty birth control.”


I pulled away to take another shot and kept taking them until I blacked out.


I ran down the black hallway searching for Josh.


“Josh!” I cried out searching the empty rooms. “Josh please!”


I saw a light at the end of the hallway and sprinted towards it.


The room was dark but there was a light hanging above the baby carriage in the corner.


I walked over to it slowly and looked into it.


There was a blanket wrapped tightly around the small figure and when I unraveled it there was a just a broken heart.


Battered and bruised.


Taped together multiple times, but it shattered in my arms.


I shot up and saw the bright sun peering in from the window.


This isn’t my room.. It’s-


“You’re up.” I looked over and saw Phoebe holding a water bottle and an ice pack.


What the hell?


I closed my eyes and opened them back up, but she was still there.


“I’m real Layla this isn’t a dream.” She chuckled. She sat down on the bed beside me. “Here.” She said handing me the water.


I undid the top and started chugging it.


She put the ice pack on my head as I set the water bottle down.


“How did I get here?” I asked pulling my legs up to my chest.


“Well, I’ll tell you..”

 

Phoebe’s POV:

I was watching a movie in the living room with my little brother.


I got up and walked to the kitchen to refill my soda when my phone started blaring.


I looked at the caller ID and cringed a little.


“What Abby?” I snapped answering the phone putting my glass on the counter.


“Phoebe I need you to come take care of Layla. She’s real fucked up and I have to go see Broc.” She stated.


I chuckled. “No way. Call Josh or something.” I reached into the fridge and got out the pepsi.


“Estás loco hembra estúpida sólo le ayudara a dios conságralos que brat egoístas que se echaron a perder!” She snapped angrily.


“Stop calling me a crazy b***h!” I yelled back.


Con la ayuda de Dios si no te ayudan a su enferma beat the s**t de usted..”


“Alright, fine.” I said getting annoyed with her. “Where is she?”


“Red Hot. Be kind she’s real upset.” She said before hanging up.


I grabbed my keys and told my mom I’d be back.


When I got to the bar I saw Layla slumped over the bar crying hysterically.


“Phoebe. Good to see you.” The bar owner smiled at me.


“Hi, Donald.” I smiled bad. I sat down next to Layla. “What happened?”


She slowly looked over at me. “Phoebs?”


“Yeah, its me.” I smiled.


She took another hit of her cigarette and poured another shot. “What are you doing here?” She slurred angrily.


“I came to save your a*s.” I snapped back. “You don’t need any more to drink.”


“Josh is having a baby.” She choked out after taking a harsh shot. “A little baby Josh.”


My heart sunk for her.


“Oh, Layla..” I sighed pulling her into my arms. “It’s going to be okay.”


She shoved me away. “Why did you leave me?” She cried. “Why is he more important than me?”


I looked down at the bar. “Layla-“


“No! Don’t Layla me. You left and didn’t talk to me for almost two years!” She slurred. “I want real answers.”


“Fine, you want the truth?” I shouted. “Truth is I didn’t want to turn out like you. Drunk all the time flunking out of college. Crying night after night over a guy.” I took her cigarette from her and took a long drag. “But I missed you and I told Liam I had to come back.”


She looked up at me with her red puffy eyes. “So then why did you hit me?”


“Because you were drunk and I wanted to see you sober.” I said taking another drag. “But you kidnapped me from my party and made it all complicated.”


She bobbed her down.


“But even if you are a drunk and a crazy person sometimes.” I said putting my arm around her shoulder. “You’re still my best friend and I love you no matter what.”

 

Regular POV:

“And then I drove you back here..” She said finishing her story.


I looked down and sighed. “Are we okay then?”


She smiled and hugged me. “Yes.”


We both started balling, but they were happy tears.


I got my best friend back.


Now, for my boyfriend.


“So, what are you going to do?” She asked me from across the booth.


We were sitting at the local diner eating breakfast.


I took a bite of my waffle and shrugged. “I don’t know honestly.”


“You love him, don’t you?” She asked before taking a sip of her coffee and I nodded. “Somebody wise told me when you love someone you’ll de crazy things you can’t explain.”


“That’s a lyric from that hope floats movie.” I chuckled.


She threw her muffin at me. “Still, it would be crazy of you to accept this, but if you love him you can do it.”


“I’m supposed to except he’s having a baby with another woman?” I said dryly. “Liam walks up to you and says ‘Hey I’m having baby but I don’t love the girl I love you.’ What would you do?”


“Shove his Ak 47 up his a*s.”


I started laughing hysterically. “Do you understand what I’m saying?” I took a swig of my coffee.


“Yeah I get it.” She sighed.


“I’ll think of something.”



© 2013 Shawna May Sipes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

192 Views
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 9, 2013


Author

Shawna May Sipes
Shawna May Sipes

Chambersburg, PA



About
About 6 or so years ago I had more then 30 stories under my belt, but then I went through a traumatic experience and could never pick writing back up. I had a journal however and wrote about my lif.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shawna May Sipes