Chapter One: (Jackson)

Chapter One: (Jackson)

A Chapter by Tabitha t

Chapter: 1 (Jackson)

 

 

I hefted my backpack higher up on my shoulder as I practically sprinted towards the corner of my block to where I knew my brother would be waiting for me. No matter how upset he was, I knew he would never forget about me and make me walk to school by myself. We have always had a good relationship. Most brothers would resent having a sister sibling hanging around, but not Addison. We have always shared common interest and talked to a few of the same friends.

My mind reeled. How could they do this?Washington?” I asked myself aloud, cringing as if I had a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, I may not be losing as much as Addison but I still had a life here. I had a few close friends, and I was active in clubs at school. I knew who I was here, and I knew where I fit in. I knew where I sat in class and at lunch. I knew the faces that passed me in the halls; everything about this place was familiar. Washington might as well be a million miles away not just one thousand. Why did they act so sympathetic when this was their fault?

I turned the corner and slowed down as I saw Addison and Jackson, my brother’s best friend practically since birth. Jackson was good looking from any girl’s standards. He was tall with dark olive skin and messy jet-black hair that framed, dark soulful, eyes and strong features that were starting to take over his youthful appearance.

Today he was wearing a tight black t-shirt and relaxed fit jeans. I suppose he looked especially delicious since a girl walking past them flirtatiously waved hello to him, but to me he was almost like a brother.

I couldn’t even remember him not in our lives. Our fathers worked together, and his mom babysat my brother and me until we were old enough to start school. Everything changed a year ago when Jackson’s parents died in a car accident. Their car was struck head on by a drunk driver on the way to one of Addison and Jackson’s rugby games. He has acted differently since then and we have tried to be there for him as much as he has always been there for us. He is starting to do better now and had even started to act like the old Jackson again.

“Hey Maddy.”  Jackson waved as I came to a stop in front of the two boys. I noticed that Addison seems to have calmed down a little bit. Jackson was always good at that. Both boys seemed to know exactly how to change the others mood. Jackson was the brother Addison never had.

“So what’s the damage?” He asked ruffling my hair as he always did. I grumbled to myself, thinking that maybe it wasn’t the best time to say in front of Addison that our parents were shipping us to Washington. Half across the country, but what the hell, he was going to find out one way or another.

            Washington.” Was all I could say without fearing my voice would show how upset I really was. In unison, both boys sucked in a breath. Addison kicked at a stone on the sidewalk.

            “Ouch” was Jackson’s reply. Thankfully, Addison stayed quiet.

 

#

 

The entire school day went by pretty fast. I did my assignments and paid attention in class. In Mrs. Manta’s class, I even chose the topic of my book report that was due next month. I probably wouldn’t even be here when it was due but it felt nice try to ignore that fact at least just for one more day.

Too bad I didn’t get that luxury for long. I’m guessing that my brother had told at least one person besides Jackson because by lunch, the entire school knew and they were mourning the loss of their “star athlete.”

While Addison’s day was filled with good-byes, tears, and lipsticked kisses on the cheek, my day went by very differently. Besides my closest friends or a few people who had been over to our house, most people wouldn’t even guess that Addison and I were related. Our last name and similarity between out first names notwithstanding, most people just didn’t seem to care. Therefore, my day stayed fairly peaceful. Only a few people really realized that I would be leaving as well. I liked it that way. I don’t do very well in emotional situations; I always end up looking like an idiot.

After the last bell, I met up with Jackson and Addison outside the school by the flagpole to walk home. As we walked, I fiddled with my necklace, a silver crescent with half of a red gem inside of it. My brother had a matching one just like it. Our parents had given them to us when we were younger, as a symbol of our friendship. My piece fit inside Addison’s perfectly as if they were embracing each other.

As I fingered the cool stone, I thought about Washington and what I thought my life would be like there. What would our house look like? Would I even be able to make new friends? Just as I was getting to the part in my daydream where I ultimately ended up alone, depressed, and taking my own life on my bathroom floor, Jackson, who was walking in front of me, abruptly stopped. This caused me to run right into his back and I pushed my morbid thoughts aside.

Jackson, are you okay?” I asked still looking at his back. He was stiff and rigid. He turned around to face me. He was pale and had glistening beads of sweat popping up on his forehead.

“I think I’m going to be sick.” He said through gritted teeth. Addison, who stopped a few feet in front of us, looked back and with concern painted on his face said, “Hey man, we’re, like, half a block from my house. Do you think you can make it?”

Jackson groaned and staggered to the brick wall of the building we were passing. He held his arm out, holding onto the wall for support.

“You guys go ahead and I’ll catch up.” He grimaced. He hunched over with his head towards the ground. His hair hung in wet swirls down over his forehead. I seriously thought he was going to hurl right then and there, and I instinctively took a step back.

“You sure?” I asked. I didn’t think it was the best idea but, I supposed he wanted some privacy. Just in case he really did get sick.

“Yeah, no problem.” He followed the wall to the entrance of an alleyway. “I’ll see you guys at the house, I won’t be too long. Just need to get some cool air real quick” He waved us away, as he disappeared down the dimly lit side street.

 

I glanced at Addison, who shrugged. “Probably just the tuna casserole they served at lunch today.”

That made me smile and I had an idea as I looked up at my twin. “Hey, race you home?” I challenged with a cocky wiggle of my eyebrows. Addison let out a short, confident laugh.

“You’re on sis.” He grinned as he crouched into a runner’s stance.

            “Ready set,” I heard him saying as he leaned into the crouch.

            I was already off and running full force. I smiled as I flew over the pavement. For the next few moments of our race home, I let all of my worries flutter away in the breeze. I just enjoyed the feeling of my legs pumping, the wind throwing my hair behind me and my heels striking the hard cement. I wasn’t thinking about our move and my parents or Jackson. I was just enjoying being a kid again.

“Hey, no fair!” I heard him laughing behind me. I heard him picking up speed easily. His legs pumping out long, easy strides and of course it wasn’t long until he over took me, but I wasn’t far behind.

 



© 2012 Tabitha t


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

nicely worked

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
1 Review
Added on November 18, 2012
Last Updated on November 18, 2012

The Blood Stone; Book One to the Essence Stone Series


Author

Tabitha t
Tabitha t

Pigeon Forge, TN



About
I am 21. I am in a commited lesbian relationship. I am a novelist. still struggling. (obviously) The novel I am working on completing right now is totally consuming my tie and I love every minute .. more..

Writing