Chapter Three: (Suspicions)

Chapter Three: (Suspicions)

A Chapter by Tabitha t

Chapter: 3 (suspicions)

I knew I was awake before I opened my eyes because I felt the pain begin to roll across my body. I opened my eyes and blinked a few times. The room was spinning. I gingerly sat up and fought the urge to vomit as my head began to pound against my skull.

            I saw Addison sprawled on the floor about five feet from me. I crawled as gently as I could towards him to keep my head from beating at a faster tempo.

Addison.” I shook his shoulder. He didn’t move he just said there motionless. His face was expressionless.

            Addison wake up!” I shook him harder, starting to panic. He mumbled under his breath and began to open his eyes. He blinked a few times, groaned, slowly sat up, and rubbed the back of his neck as he cringed.

“Where are mom and dad?” he asked, starting to stand up.

I stood up as well and looked over to the last spot I had seen them. There was a charred burnt spot in front of the fireplace where they had been standing. I remembered the giant explosion Zavion had caused when he disappeared. The boxes were still smoking. The tendrils of smoke that wafted up from the boxes made my eyes water.

I walked over to the burnt spot as fast as my head would allow me. The explosion had burnt through the carpet to the hard wood flooring beneath it. The edges of the carpet encompassing the circle was still smoldering gently. I crouched down and touched the center of it. It was still quiet warm. I felt a tear run down my cheek. There was no way anyone could have survived that. They would have been incinerated where they stood.

I couldn’t believe it. I tried to swallow the hard knot that had formed in my throat. I thought back to this morning and how I had blamed them for the move. I thought about how sad my mother looked telling us about Washington and how maybe we had over reacted. Shame washed over me and the tears rolled down my cheeks freely now. I looked back at Addison and shook my head.

“They’re gone.” Was all I could manage to say through my tears.

“And we are going to get them back.” A voice said from the kitchen. Jackson walked in carrying two over stuffed bags and dropped them on the floor by his feet.

Jackson, what are you doing here?” Addison asked, looking as confused as I felt.

            “What sense does it make for Zavion to flame broil your mom and dad to a crisp if he doesn’t have the Blood Stone?” Jackson replied as he brushed his bangs out of his eyes. “As for what I am doing, well, I'm saving your butts. I’m sure its not going to take Zavion long to realize that your parents do not have the stone on them and he sends some real nasties to search the house again. I’m surprised he did this much manual labor himself already.” He tossed Addison one of the bags, and he caught it expertly.

I looked at Jackson dumbfounded. What could he know about this? He wasn’t even here when we saw Zavion and our parents. Anger and suspicion began to boil up inside of me. He had to be a part of all of this. Its just way to convenient for him to disappear right before we got to the house and then show back up here right in time to play the helpful hero.

“How do we know you aren’t the back up sent here to finish this Zavion guy’s dirty work?” I demanded.

I balled up my fist by my sides. I thought for sure he would realize that trying to play the hero wasn’t going to work and decide to just take us to Zavion by force. I dug my heels into the floor and readied myself for a fight.

Jackson locked eyes with me for a long moment, neither of us willing to break eye contact and trying to read the other’s facial expression. But then I couldn’t help but to look at him like an idiot. My jaw hung open. He laughed, uncontrollably, tears running down his face.

“Maddy.” He giggled, wiping tears from his eyes and breathing deeply. “I know you hit your head and all, but do you honestly think I would ever do anything to hurt you, your brother, or your parents?”

I just stared at him. Addison came to stand beside me.

“I don’t think Jackson has anything to do with our parents being hurt, Maddy.” He drawled slowly as he laid a hand on my shoulder.

“However,” he said turning to Jackson. “Maddy does have a good point. You obviously know a lot more then we do, and you weren’t even here. Plus, what happened to you being sick? You look just fine now.”

Jackson sighed.” It’s a really long story, but trust me, I swear as soon as we are out of here and somewhere safe I’ll start to explain everything. The important thing right now is-” He paused and looks at both of us for a second.

“Do you trust me?” He asked.

            Good old dependable Addison. He barely took three seconds to consider the options and think about his decision before walking to Jackson and clapping him on the back, saying, “Of course, buddy!”

Well how perfect. Our parents have been kidnapped, we were almost killed, and my brother wants to trust Jackson who is obviously hiding something. I grumbled… Golden Boy needs a reality check.

“What about you Maddy?” Jackson asked, looking me in the eyes and grinning.

At this point, I didn’t trust anyone, but what choice did I have? Jackson was right when he said the house wasn’t safe. Anybody could show up at any moment and finish what Zavion started. Sure, we have known him our entire lives, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t be a part of this, the bad part. People have done a lot worse for money or who knows what. Nevertheless, I suppose I don’t have much of a choice. He could turn out to help out but at the very least, we may have a chance that he could lead us to our mom and dad.

I sighed. “Okay, I’m in.” I couldn’t believe this was happening and I was going along with it.

“Good.” Jackson said as he tossed me one of the bags as well. “Let’s get out of here.” He said as he looked around. That sounded fine to me. The faster we go find my parents the better. I looked back at Jackson to notice him looking at me and a smile spreading across his face.

“Before we hit the road, Madison, you might want to change.” He said grinning broadly now. I looked down at my shirt and noticed that my clothes were singed down to my blue bra beneath it. I felt heat kissing my cheeks and I stomped off towards my bedroom to change.

I heard both of the boys laughing under their breath behind me.

            Thank god, it was only my bra showing…

 



© 2012 Tabitha t


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

179 Views
Added on November 18, 2012
Last Updated on November 18, 2012

The Blood Stone; Book One to the Essence Stone Series


Author

Tabitha t
Tabitha t

Pigeon Forge, TN



About
I am 21. I am in a commited lesbian relationship. I am a novelist. still struggling. (obviously) The novel I am working on completing right now is totally consuming my tie and I love every minute .. more..

Writing