Chapter Fourteen: ( Golden Boy)

Chapter Fourteen: ( Golden Boy)

A Chapter by Tabitha t

Chapter: 14(Golden Boy)

 

            “Man I love spaghetti,” Marcus crooned, as he slurped up a big forkful into his mouth. I had entered the common area for lunch a few moments after Jackson and Addison, and everyone else I had came to know by name today. I had stopped by my room to grab the photo of my parents, thinking that Addison would want to see it once I actually got to speak to him today.

            Addison sat across from me on the table we had enjoyed breakfast at this morning. Jennifer sat beside him, every few moments sneaking a peak at him over her salad .Jackson was on my left, and Nicholas sat on my right. I looked at all of the young faces that surrounded me. I was beginning to feel comfortable with each of one. I decided then that even when the Hunters brought back our parents, I would definitely insist on continuing taking classes here at the Guild. Even if it was only for the summer.

            “So how was Guild history, Madison?” Nicholas elbowed me to get my attention. I looked up at him and smiled.

 “It was interesting, anyway.” I replied, after I swallowed a mouthful of noodles and sauce. Nicholas looked down at me and smiled. Before I had a chance to dodge the maneuver, he had grabbed a napkin and dabbed at my chin.

            “You had a bit of sauce,” he touched my chin where he had just wiped clean, “just there.” He grinned at me

I could feel my face burning bright red. Of course, I had to choose the pasta.

Why couldn’t I have been more like Jennifer and chosen the salad? I asked myself. That would have been much more attractive.

I had never been one to eat lightly because a cute boy was around but I definitely should start considering it.

            “So Addison, I know you have told us a million times already, but please one more time. Tell us how you took down the entire defending team in Combatant Training this morning,” Marcus excitedly chattered to my brother.

My ears perked up at the mention of this. I wanted to hear what had happened as well.

“Okay, well,” Addison sighed, as he pushed his near-empty tray away. He obviously had no quarrels with telling his story for the umpteenth time.

            “For those of you who haven’t been lucky enough to be in the pit yet, It is exactly like the arenas from the gladiator days. A pit with high stone walls. There were two teams, five on each side. Inside the arena, there are more walls, obscuring your view and making it maze-like. They had given us training weapons. Some had bows, and some had spears. I had been given a broad-handled sword. They dull the edges so no one will get seriously hurt,” He spoke quickly and precisely just giving us the bare minimum details. Just enough for you to understand what was going on.

            “Each team is given a captain. The captains have a flag around their waist. The object of the game is to get to the captains and get the flag by any means necessary.” He said as he raised one eye brow.

He looked at each of us in turn, bidding his time and building suspense into his story. He reminded me of a young child telling a ghost story around a campfire. All that was missing was a thunderstorm and a flashlight under his chin.

            “I had gotten separated from my team. Next thing I knew I was the only one left. There was no way we could possibly win now. I heard a group of them across the pit. They were getting closer by the second. I dropped onto my stomach and peered around the corner of the nearest stone wall in front of me. They were ten feet away and making quiet progress. I thought there was nothing I could do. They were armed with two bows, one spear, and a short sword.  I was desperately out numbered Four against one, not the best of odds. The boy carrying the Sword had a red flag tied through his belt loops.” He took a sip of his orange soda and continued the story. I was on my elbows now leaning closer to him. Waiting anxiously to hear what would happen next. And so was everyone else around our table.

            “I had to find a way out and quick. I looked behind me and just by luck, I noticed on the trail behind me, right before you came to a turn to the right that there was something different about the dirt floor. There was a seam in the shape of a square. Unless you were paying close attention, you would never be able to have seen it. I quickly crawled to the spot and felt the seam. There was a mat that when I lifted up the corner you could clearly see the hole underneath. It was seven feet deep at least. Enough to trap you in it but not seriously injure yourself in the fall. I knew this was my one chance to escape as the victor. I quickly recovered the seam of the hole with dirt and I walked back up the trail a few feet and awaited my opponents to round the corner and come face to face with me. I could hear them getting closer. I could hear their feet shuffling against the soft ground. My heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest. It was fight or flight. And I was going to fight.”

I chuckled, my brother always had a way with theatrics and he totally loved having an audience balanced on every word he was speaking.

“The milliseconds seemed like hours in those last few moments. Finally, they slowly made their way around the corner and spotted me standing a mere five feet before them. I looked to the skies and roared. They hesitated for just a second. Just enough time to give me a chance to execute my plan. I turned on my heels and dashed towards the camouflaged booby-trap. They began to sprint after me, drawing their weapons as they went.  Arrows began to soar past my body. I ducked and zigzagged as I ran. One arrow seared no more then half an inch past my head. They were right behind me. As I came to the turn I grabbed a hold of the corner and picked my legs up, swinging them the over the trap.” Addison grinned widely across the table at us. Knowing he had us hooked.

            “The moment my feet hit the ground I backed up facing the corner and just as I expected they did not notice the tiny seam that barely escaped my notice as well. They came barreling around the corner. When they hit the disguised hole, they were momentarily suspended in air before their weight collapsed the tarp covering it and came crashing into the ground below. I began to laugh in relief. It actually worked! I confidently stepped up to the side pit and looked inside. Shadows prevented me to peer all the way down into the bottom of the deep pit. I could hear them moaning and a few offensive words floated their way up to me as well. I smiled down at them. Throw me up the flag and Ill help you up!  I shouted down to them. Go to hell. I heard one of them spit out in reply. The voice was to close I thought, just in time to see a pair of hands grab onto the lip of the pit.” Addison thumped his hands down on the top of the table. WHAM! I heard Jennifer gasp and I grinned. I had to admit my palms were getting a bit damp though. I decided I would have to add story telling to the ever growing list of things that my brother was better then me at.

             “Before I had a chance to react I heard him scream and out of the darkness the butt of his sword shot up and connected to the side of my face. Everything exploded into a bright light and I felt myself falling backwards. I was dazed for a moment or two but I finally shook it off and sat up in time to see the captain of the team crouched in front of the pit. He was covered in the reddish dirt of the pit and looking at me, teeth bared. I scrambled to my feet and so did he. We both stood there for a moment sizing each other up. He was about the same height and build as me. I couldn’t honestly guess if it came down to a physical fight who would come out on top. My opponent grinned menacingly and spoke darkly, so, you think just because you are a Cazadore that you can just come onto my turf and take everything I have worked my entire life for? I don’t think so golden boy. I won’t make it that easy.”  My brother mimicked the voice, dark and dangerously.

            “Before I could reply he charged me. Sword barred above his head. These training weapons may be filled down but this guy was looking for blood, one way or the other. I quickly grabbed my sword as well that had fallen beside me into the dirt. I had it in my hand just in time to block his attack. The guy’s anger was making his aim sloppy. I deflected his blade with my own weapon. The metal clanging and grinding against one another was ear piercing. He kept swinging at me in wild arcs. I kept my head level and did my best to block every blow he sent my way. After what seemed like a lifetime, he began to get winded and his attacks came slower and less controlled. My attacker was now breathing raggedly and his sword hung down by his hips. The tip barely hovering above the ground.

 Using this to my advantage, I began to advance. Backing him against the wall. With nowhere to maneuver, He knew it was basically over and sent one last attack in my direction. I caught his sword with the blade of mine and hooked it sending his weapon tumbling towards the ground. I aimed the point of my sword against the hollow of his throat. He put his arms up into the air in surrender. Turn around and face the wall I told him. He did as told and I grabbed his flag. I had beaten him. The buzzer sounded and we had won!” Addison finished his story with a fist pump.

            “Amazing.” Jennifer swooned over him.

“Epic!” Marcus agreed.

 I also had to admit. It was pretty impressive. My brother was made for this. The Golden boy had found his home.



© 2012 Tabitha t


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

need to get rid of the parenthesis on the chapter titles


Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
1 Review
Added on November 18, 2012
Last Updated on November 18, 2012

The Blood Stone; Book One to the Essence Stone Series


Author

Tabitha t
Tabitha t

Pigeon Forge, TN



About
I am 21. I am in a commited lesbian relationship. I am a novelist. still struggling. (obviously) The novel I am working on completing right now is totally consuming my tie and I love every minute .. more..

Writing