Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Tiffany Thomas

Everyone turned their tassels and in the next second my hat was in the air. I felt free in that moment and looked around to see joyful students- no- graduates.

After the ceremony I endured a meeting with every family member I had ever known before finally finding my friends. I fled the small-talk and ran to join my group sitting on the bleachers.

Jetta threw her arms up in excitement. “We did it!” She cried. I couldn’t wipe the stupid grin off my face and cheered alongside her.

Francis asked, “Alright so everyone clear on the plans tonight? Did they tell you what’s happening Bonnie?”

I nodded. “Yeah, like a week ago.” I asked, “Were going canoeing right?”

Jetta swiftly shook her head. “No, the waters too low right now. It wouldn’t be any fun,” Jetta explained. “Everyone is sneaking up to Devils Den and drinking a few beers.”

Instantly I was wary and asked, “Devils Den? That’s in the National Park. We can’t do that!”

Bobby insisted, “Oh lighten up Bon, It’s only a few people going anyway. It won’t get busted. Most everyone is getting smashed at Angie’s party.”

I grimaced. “I don’t know ya’ll.” I said, “It just seems like a bad idea.”

Bobby laughed, “You think everything is a bad idea.”

Jetta argued, “She may have a point though.” She was looking away as she spoke and I decided she was debating risking her own scholarship.

“Well what if we go before everyone gets there?” asked Francis.

I perked up. “Yeah I’m completely down with that.” I clarified, “I just don’t want to be there when it’s crazy.”

Jetta said, “I can’t right now. I have to go home and change.”

“You’re not wearing what you have?” I asked feeling at ease in my school-colored-orange sundress. I looked out the window to the parking lot, skimming for my Pontiac. I knew my flip flops and my no longer needed one-piece bathing suit were lurking in the front seat. I specifically packed the one-piece in an attempt to avoid people seeing my ghastly birthmark that ran down the curve of my stomach.

Her eyes widened. “No!” Jetta exclaimed. “This is a two hundred dollar dress under this. My mother would kill me!”

I frowned and turned to Bobby. “You?”

He stuttered, “I, umm, I need to go home first also.” He asked, “How about we meet you two there in an hour?” I looked at my phone and saw it was a little after 5.

I sighed. “Alright then.” I asked, ”So we’re going then?” I directed my question to Francis and he smiled back at me.

Francis answered, “Yeah I have everything I need right now.”

I asked the group, “Do you think anyone will be there?”

“I’m sure a few people will be.” Jetta said, “It doesn’t really start til its dark… but I don’t want to be out too late either. We won’t be long. You two go ahead.” Jetta grinned on her last words. 

I asked Francis, “Do you want to take just one vehicle? Someone will have to be a designated driver tonight.”

“We can take my truck.” Francis led the way out of the auditorium. I looted my car and hastily changed shoes before leaving my cap and gown and hopping into his vehicle.

     The ride over to the national park took a total of 17 minutes. We were nearing the bridge that separated us from the rock house named Devils Den that tourists usually came here for. He parked his truck in one of the resting areas.  

Francis opened my door for me and asked, “Are you feeling any better?” I raised an eyebrow at his gesture and jumped out.

“What do you mean?” I asked. “And thank you.”

Francis raised one eyebrow before he asked, “A couple nights ago? Passing out?”

“Oh! That. Yeah, I’ve been feeling a little weird about the whole situation. But I’m fine,” I lied. “I just wasn’t built for drinking I guess.” He smiled and closed the door. I could make out gushing water in the distance. I asked, “So, no one’s canoeing, huh?”

Francis grinned at the question. “Yeah, the water is too shallow right now.” Hearing the river, I didn’t know if that was true. His face fell serious. “Hey Bon, I want to talk to you about something.”

Then his voice became inaudible.


© 2015 Tiffany Thomas


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on August 13, 2015
Last Updated on August 13, 2015


Author

Tiffany Thomas
Tiffany Thomas

AL



About
I'm a 21 year old writer from sweet home Alabama. I'm not published (yet) but hope to change that soon! I've written countless poems, a few short stories, and finished one book (and halfway done wit.. more..

Writing