Part Thirty-Six

Part Thirty-Six

A Chapter by lawrence bear
"

The last laugh

"

Joker squealed and it sounded hideous, like he were laughing and crying at the same time. The beast rumbled, its foot falls echoed which slowly turned into a charge. Superman lifted his hand and dropped the loose skin into Batman’s hands. “Hold this will you; I’ll be back in a moment.” And he leapt toward the massive creature, the gust of wind knocked Joker over as he squirmed holding his face. Batman was aghast at what Clark had plopped into his hands, seeing Joker’s face staring up at him; had almost made his stomach turn. The two titan’s fists collided with a sonic boom. The ground beneath them imploded, the shock waves split the street open, pipes burst and gas lines exploded.

 

Batman lifted his cape to shield from the blast of air, “Joker,” he shouted. “Joker, get out of there…” The ground gave away and Joker disappeared. Against his pain, Batman quickly darted toward the opening; he bent down and looked. Joker held onto a piece of rebar that was sticking out. His grip slipped and Batman grabbed hold of his wrist. Joker looked horrendous as he looked up at Batman; his eyes were wild and green.

 

Batman squeezed his hand closed and he held on, “Your hand,” he grunted. “Grab hold with your other hand.” Batman could feel his grip slowly slip and he grumbled, “Joker, damn you… give me your other hand.”

 

Wonder Woman crawled to her feet, she would not give in, she would not quit. She fought her pain, and when she regained her strength. She spat blood onto the ground and leapt into action, attacking the beast once more. The beast swung its fist into Superman’s face. The air thundered and it propelled Superman backward. Wonder Woman countered with a blow to the beasts face. The creature’s head spun sideways dropping to one knee. It roared and punched the ground, its anger fueled it and it stood once more. The creature threw its head back with a roar and with his speed; Superman flew into it with his fist. The beast flung back flipping in the air before it hit the ground producing a tremor.

 

Batman’s body lurched forward as he held on, the quake jolted his grip. Batman screamed in vain as he felt his grip slip, Wonder Woman turned as she heard Batman scream. The beast and Superman battled, she had her opening to attack the beast, her chest lifted up and down with each breath, and she was tired, battered and bleeding. She stood for a moment deciding what to do but when she had seen Batman struggle by the opening, slowly sliding out of sight. She darted into his direction, “Bruce!” she cried.

 

Batman tried to squeeze tighter, the rebar on his other hand was losing grip and it gave a little causing them both to slide down.

 

“No!” Batman spat, “Joker! I’m slipping.”

 

Joker chuckled, “I’ll say hi to the kid for you.”

 

“Give me your hand, you fool.” Batman grunted.

 

“Ha, ha… It’s been a blast, ole boy.” and Joker slid from Batman’s grasp and plummeted.

 

Batman watched bleakly as Joker vanished laughing into the murkiness of the void. His heart pounded, hammering against his chest. The ground shook beneath him, with his hand still stretched outward, holding onto Joker’s glove, he gaped in anguish. He was right there, he could have saved him. If he had only given him his other hand, he would have still been alive. The rebar he held onto broke away and a hand grasped around his wrist, pulling him to safety.

 

“Bruce,” Wonder Woman spoke to him, but Batman stared beyond her. “Bruce,” She knelt down and put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed. “You tried, Bruce. You tried… there was nothing more you could have done. We must finish this; once and for all, for everyone.” Batman slowly looked up at her; there before him was a blood-spattered comrade. Batman snapped to his senses and he pushed himself up, glancing at Diana and nodded. He knew what he had to do, and hobbled over to the canister.




© 2022 lawrence bear


Author's Note

lawrence bear
I am shocked, what about you. I hope you are enjoying the ride, a bit of an emotional one isn't it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on November 16, 2020
Last Updated on May 26, 2022
Tags: #action #adventure #superheroes


Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear