Veil

Veil

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

Havyn douses his cereal with milk. The colorful orbs sink into the liquid, turning it an unappetizing blue. I snatch the box from the table, examining it for any clue why this health fanatic would eat this. The nutrition facts back up my hunch that indeed this stuff is a diabetic’s nightmare. If the sugar didn’t finish you off, the added chemicals would. I consider grabbing a bowl for myself, due to relative ease but decide against it. Instead, I take an apple from the nearby fruit bowl; I shine the fruit on my shirt. Havyn drops his spoon into his milk, splashing the table when he sets eyes on Nyxia’s figuring coming down the stairs. He scrambles for a napkin I notice a large bruise growing on her neck; judging by the color, it looks fresh.

 

“Hey, how are you feeling?” I ask.

 

“I'm alright,” she replies, avoiding my eyes.

 

“Did you sleep alright?” Havyn chimes in.

 

She offers him a small nod instead of an answer. Her quiet demeanor is a radical change from yesterday. Havyn shuffles his feet under his chair.

 

“Can I make you some breakfast? Do they eat breakfast? The toys?” he scrambles.

 

“I am going just to grab some orange juice, and no they don’t eat,” she replies.

 

Nyxia pours herself some orange juice, heading back up the stairs. Her door slams. I clear my throat hoping to grab Havyn’s attention, but he continues eating his cereal. My stare harshens. After a few seconds, he throws his spoon down and milk splatters the table.

 

“What’s the issue?” he questions.

 

“She’s acting strangely,” I state.

 

“Forgive me, but she lives in a crypt with toys. Stranger than that?” he declares.

 

“She just wasn’t being as…mean,” I stammer.

 

“Maybe were growing on her,” he shrugs his shoulders.

 

He stands up from the table, punching my arm playfully. Havyn heads to the sink to tend to his dishes and the silverware clangs around as he washes them.

 

Press the subject.

 

“Did something happen last night?” I persist.

 

“Why are you assuming something happened last night? The girl had a rough catfight yesterday; I would be acting that way too,” he snaps.

 

She took a few hits during the fight, but nothing around her neck. That other girl doesn't appear to be robust enough to do that kind of damage.

 

“Alright man, just making sure. All the same, I am going to go check on her,” I recover.

 

“Yeah, no problem. I am going to straighten up a bit, then we can figure out our next move,”

 

My mind seems to blank out as I make my way upstairs. I was so quick to exit my conversation with Havyn that I hadn’t come up with anything intelligent to say when I arrived at her door. I can see Nyxia brushing Adelita’s hair on her bed. My face flushes as I knock lightly. A part of me hoped she wouldn’t acknowledge me, but, to my surprise, she gestures me to come inside with a small smile. Bruiser is off in the corner doing push-ups yet Jack and his brothers remain glued to a cartoon rabbit on the television.

 

“I just wanted to check on you,” I say.

 

“I'm all right,” she answers returning to the dolls hair.

 

“Listen, I know this isn't the ideal situation, but if something’s wrong you can always talk to me,” I offer.

 

“Ares stop,” she cuts me off.

 

My face grows hot; I pray it isn’t showing. I try and distract myself by watching the dolls.

 

“They have entirely different personalities,” I admire.

 

“Every person does. Why should they be any different? Anyway, did you need something?” she answers, rolling her eyes.

 

“No. Just making sure you were alright,”

 

“Alright? Given the circumstances, that’s an interesting question,” she replies.

 

I rub the back of my head, searching for something to say.

 

“Come down when you’re up to it. We have to decide what our plan is,” I shut the door behind me.

 

I pronounce my steps as I descend the stairs, throwing my hands up in the air when Havyn comes into view.

 

“I give up. I don't know what the hell her problem is,” I mutter.

 

“You should stop trying to figure it out,” he snorts.

 

Havyn begins lacing up his boots and then walks into the next room. I follow him into his workout area as he adjusts his weights on the rack.

 

“This isn't a social event; it doesn't matter if she likes us. As long as she helps us win, she can hate us all she wants, I couldn’t care less,” he says.

 

“Listen to you. When did you get all serious?”

 

“I am when I need to be. All I’m saying is if she's going to come around, it will be on her own time. You won’t change that, just wait it out.”

 

I don't have much of a choice.

 

“You ready to get to work?” he asks.

 

“Yeah, can I borrow a shirt, though; this one is all gross,”

 

Havyn points towards a pile of clothes on a chair. He stretches on the floor as I make my way over to the shirts. I grab for the first tank top on the peak of the pile. Something cold and sticky touches the inside of my hand. I wipe my hand on my pants.

 

Blood.

 

Havyn shoots up from the floor, taking the shirt from my hand before I get any words out.

 

“Just an accident. There are more shirts right underneath it,” he tosses a different shirt my way.

 

“When?” I ask.

 

Havyn raises an eyebrow.

 

“Should I have reported it to you? A couple of nights ago dude, do you always ask this many questions?” he says to laugh it off.

 

“But it’s fresh,” I show the blood on my palm.

 

“And I’m fine, so let’s just forget it,” he responds.

 

Our eyes stay deadlocked. I am relieved when I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, anything to interrupt this moment. Nyxia walks down the stairs dressed in workout attire. Havyn grins. She focuses on the shirt in my hand. I pull my hand behind my back, trying to obstruct her view.

 

“You found my gift. I am glad to see it fits you. Are you ready to work out? “Havyn asks.

 

“Depends on you, seems like you got hurt,” she says pointing to the tank top.

 

“I’m standing here, waiting for you.” he laughs.

 

“The wait is over,” she says, taking a seat on a nearby machine.

 

“No one answers any questions around here,” I yell.

 

“So stop asking them. Are you always this dramatic?” I hear a voice say from behind me.

 

Bruiser stands behind me with his paws on his hips.

 

“Now I’ve seen everything,” Havyn says.

 

He acts like a person. What are these things?

 

 “Working out, princess?” Bruiser asks, motioning his head at Nyxia.

 

“Yes, is there a problem with that?” she answers.

 

“Always with the attitude. No problem kiddo,” he says, fumbling around in his jacket.

 

Bruiser takes a small container out of his pocket. Raising it to his mouth, he pulls a cigarette from it. After striking a match across his leg, he lights the cigarette, taking a long drag. Smoke billows out from his fur.

 

“Hey Jack, get a load of this, and bring Addy,” he yells up the stairs.

 

“Bruiser!” Nyxia barks.

 

Small footsteps, followed by a loud dragging noise, echo above our heads. Adelita's head peeks around the top of the staircase.

 

“We’re here!” she yells cheerfully.

 

Jack tries to peek around the corner as well; however, his heads are unbalancing his body. He topples down the stairs, crashing into the wall below. Dust fills the room. Adelita giggles.

 

“Sorry muscle man,” Jack laughs.

 

“Son of a-”Havyn trails off.

 

Pieces of the wall are intertwined into Jack’s hair. The plaster crumbles to the ground as Bruiser pulls him out. Bruiser tosses his cigarette container over to Havyn. He catches the container, pulling one out. He prepares to toss it back to the toy, but Bruiser raises his paw.

 

 

“Keep it kid, you are going to need it more then I will.” He insists.



© 2017 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very creative and well thought out..... you need to have it published

Posted 6 Years Ago


You did it again! This entire book is creative! I enjoy how you take real people and fictional characters and intertwine them. Your dialogues are great! And this chapter I found amusing in parts! Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


This was a good read. You have a nice flow going, some humor, and a story line that holds the attention. Nicely done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


not bad at all very well written


Posted 7 Years Ago


You've actually got some funny lines and moments. They easy dialogue is cool, and again it made me chuckle when Havyn talks about the toys...lol.You've subtlety spread dry humour moments throughout. Solid! R xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


loved this chapter jade,getting more interesting as you move into the story

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you!
I'm going to disagree with the other review you received. I like the spacing. To me, that makes this an easy read. Clear separation to follow along with the various characters and who is speaking. I do like your writing style, and I like the rhythm of your story. An interesting beginning that I would like to see develop. Kudos on the exotic name choices btw. I like seeing names that many would consider different from the norm.

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you thats awesome to hear!
You write very well. It might be easier to follow without all of the spaces between lines. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thanks Valentine

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 26, 2017
Last Updated on January 28, 2017


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


How to Say? How to Say?

A Story by SZHZIA


Rattle Rattle

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO