1st Exploit: Story of Antonio Dragone

1st Exploit: Story of Antonio Dragone

A Chapter by Jeffrey J Dotson
"

The prologue, so to speak, is quite large because I had desired to get it out of the way in one go. All chapters proceeding this one will be roughly half its length.

"
Seven Down
By Jeff J. Dotson

1st Exploit: Story of Antonio Dragone


A few days away from city life lies a handful of small villages. This particular village is unpowered by electricity as made evident by the utility pole on the ground that would have otherwise lead to this peaceful area. It appears dilapidated, having been downed for no less then two years. The two blue bellied black birds perched on the pole sing their bird songs as various individuals in the distance walk around. Not too far from the pole is a sign that reads 'Inizioville', indicating the name of this locale. Under the name is the county; North Norot.

Moving into the little village there is a little restaurant known as 'The Gurgling Bear'. Its the busiest place in town, but even then its not exactly bustling with activity. A little further there's a second sign. Crossed out are the words 'Mahogney Property Two Miles East', with 'Stay Away' scratched just below the initial letters. Deeper still lies a Carpentry school and past it a competitive ring. Oddly enough shaped in a triangle.

Next to this ring stands the tallest building in Inizioville; the Rio Arts dojo of mental and physical training, as taught by the stern Luke Dragone. Today is the day of graduation. After four long years of giving up their lives for study and training only a handful, if that, meet Lukes strict requirements to become qualified and licensed as experts. 

Inside of it are only eight within the dojo. Most of the rest whom had started the near half-decade left within' months. Luke stands behind a podium with what looks to be three diplomas sitting on top of it. He is a large fellow with emerald green hair that slightly juts up to the sky. He clears his throat and looks over the students before he speaks.

"Today is tough on me. Ive grown with you for the past four years, two of you for longer then that and after years of constant study, physical and mental training, and development Ive only seen three worthy of this." Luke places his hand on the diplomas as half his students look on with worry. "That's not to say I'm disappointed in those whom failed. On contrary you stayed when others left, and I'm impressed, but it wasn't enough. I want you to learn from this experience, and if you care to try again in two years I'll be waiting. As for the graduees-" (Luke picks up the first diploma) "-You uphold a certain responsibility now that you're licensed martial artists. These are certificates meant to show your understanding of discipline, talent and diligence. James Louise!"

James Louise, a man with a dark complexion and a bowl haircut, steps up to the podium and receives his diploma. "James, of the three you've done the most to impress me. You understand control more then any of your peers and have impressive aspirations and goals. If you don't make something of yourself no one will be more surprised then me."

James bows. "Thank you sensai."

Luke waits as James walks to the left, away from the others. "Sarah Leoni!" Sarah, an energetic girl with teal eyes and dark relatively short hair, is quick to step forward, as if shes expected to have passed Lukes requirements. Luke hands her a certificate. "Your confidence may have bled into arrogance at times but you've never failed to stay the course. You've earned this diploma and I'm sure you'll have no trouble earning any future accomplishments."

Sarah smirks. "Thanks for that teach! I'll make the best of what Ive learned from your guidance!"

Sarah walks over to James and high fives him. Luke looks down at the final diploma and seems somewhat reluctant. "The third certificate leaves my hands with something of a reluctance. You've proven to be bar none the most physically powerful and talented student in this class and you've even managed to grasp onto all the fundamentals after a second attempt, but your ambition is lacking. Your discipline isn't sharp and I feel you could still use more training. However you've earned this in your own way." The oldest looking student among the class, a black haired fellow with a receding hairline, steps forward and flashes a cocky grin. This man is known as Zaine Kanue. Luke shakes his head at him before aiming his eyes at the individual behind him. "Antonio Dragone."

Zaines face immediately shifts into one of shock. "'Bout time." The one known as Antonio shoves past his now infuriated peer. His hair color is similar to Lukes, but its slicked back as opposed to standing straight up and a bit darker. Its spiked as well. "If I knew this would take a damned decade I'd-"

"YOU SHUT UP!" Zaine pushes Antonio aside and stomps his foot in protest. "TEN YEARS!!! Ive had to suffer your company for ten years, and the whole time Ive had to share it with this idiot loser!" Zaine points at Antonio, who just has a mildly annoyed look on his face. "Ive proven to be the BEST here and you pass family over actual quality! You're supposed to shoulder past personal bias and you didn't!" Zaine turns his finger to Luke. "If you're gonna fail me then you have to fail him too and you know it, but you don't have it in you do ya!? Naw you've gotta pass your baby brother right?! Well I don't need this, I'm goin' to the city to get my certificate!"

Luke shakes his head and frowns. "Even in a city class I doubt you would make the grade." Zaine takes a few steps forward and gets ready to go on another tirade, but Lukes gaze instantly stops him. "You've said your piece Zaine, its my turn. You want me to fail Antonio but hes proven himself, if barely. You however have somehow digressed into something worse. You've gotten stronger but you have no patience, you treat your fellow peers like garbage, hell you're responsible for over half the class dropping out what with your constant bullying. You didn't learn from your first four years, which at the very least Tony was able to." Zaine takes a few steps back as his confidence begins to fold into itself. "You have no one but yourself to blame for failing Zaine, and no matter how strong you are it won't make a difference no matter where you go in Norot if you don't actually learn anything. Your talent is festering, and as a teacher who prides himself on his discipline its truly depressing."

Zaine stumbles back, as if being shot. He has a hard time finding any words. "I-I-I-" James walks up to him and tries to comfort him with a pat on the shoulder. Zaine is quick to slap it away. "Don't touch me! I'll remember this Dragone!" Zaine turns to Antonio and spits at his feet before storming off past the other failures and out of the dojo. Two of the others follow him, seeing no point in staying but the rest remain for the ceremony. Antonio turns to Luke and tilts his head impatiently.

"So, we gonna go on and finish this or are we gonna dwell on some sore losers empty words?" Luke sighs and holds out the diploma, which Antonio readily takes.

"You've barely earned this, remember that. You're an excellent student but you have no motivation. I'd go so far as saying your goals are even more hollow then Zaines." Antonio shrugs. "You're right though, we need to go past the unpleasantness and look forward to the future. You, Sarah and James are certified Rio experts now, wear this honor with dignity and respect! Never neglect what you've learned here, for your training maybe over in class but it never ends in the world outside."

With that James and Sarah bow. Antonio walks away from the podium and hangs his fist in the air victorious. The few others in class applaud their success. 

---

Outside of the dojo the sun begins to set, and leaning against the wall of the dojo is an imposing figure who goes by the name of Paul Mahogney. He wears ragged clothing and boasts muscles that would make some bodybuilders envious. His hair is a small black pompadour with two locks of hair hanging past his ears. He has his arms crossed and his head hung down. The dojo doors open and out steps the three graduees, all holding their certificate proudly. Paul doesn't lift his head when he speaks.

"Tooooooonyyyyyyyy." The three freeze in place. Antonios face contorts to that of rage. "I see you've finally succeeded in satisfying Lukes conditions. Congratulations." Sarah steps up to the big man and gives him a cold glare. She is intentionally breaking his gaze at Antonio.

"Leave us alone you b*****d." Paul smiles and removes his back from the dojo. James tries to pull her away.

"Looks like you passed too." The imposing man says as he glares past her and at Tony. "Just scoot on away with bowl head and mind your damn business darling." Paul rudely shoves Sarah and James down the dojo steps as he steps up to Tony, who still refuses to acknowledge him. "Come on boy, Ive waited long enough for this and you owe me after what you've done." The air around Paul seems to chill as he hunches down and speaks a foot away from Tonys head. "And I know you want to kill me kid, I can see it in your face. So what say we settle our issues and do this legally. I know you're curious about just how much stronger you've gotten since last time. Lukes ring is-"

"Its right there and if ya wanna go at it then I'll take you on you big old jerk!" Sarah speaks as she pushes herself between Tony and Paul. Shes practically nose to nose with the monster. "Ive had it with you hounding us and now Ive got the proper paper work to do something about it, so how about it big guy?! I'm not afraid of your whale ham hoffs!" Paul clenches his fist and gives her a dead eyed look. She flinches, and almost screams when James suddenly jerks her away.

"Are you insane?! That guys still way above us Sarah, he'd kill you in a minute! It'd take all of us to even stand a chance and even then they'd be slim!" James turns his head to the guy and looks at him with worried anger while Sarah gives him an annoyed look. "Paul Mahogney, formerly the sole teacher of the 'Mahogney' martial arts class. A demon in the flesh of man whose strength is only matched by his ego and ruthlessness, he had his license to teach revoked permanently for crippling a student." James turns his head to Tony, who is seething. "The reason he hates Tony-"

"Isn't important." Tony interrupts. He begins to walk away. "Besides that piece of crap isn't worth the time of day. Just ignore 'em, hes not gonna do anything because he knows what'll happen if he does. Not that its any of Lukes business either."

James and Sarah follow him. Sarah stops and turns her head to Paul. She gives him a nasty look, but he continues to ignore her and glare at the back of Antonios head. "You just keep on running Tony. You can't avoid me forever." 

---

A little over a minute passes after the brief conflict with Paul. Tony, Sarah and James are now inside of the gurgling bear restaurant. Its a small but well decorated little diner with several circular tables in the middle and a few square tables near the windows. The bar counter stretches from one end of the small dining room to the other. A few people are sitting at the bar but no one worth noting. James, Tony and Sarah are seated in the upper left table, close to the entrance but not quite at the window. Sarah is pouting.

"Ya shoulda let me loose on him!"

"Sarah like I said before hes still well above us." James gives a concerned look. "Every time he shows himself his inner energy oozes bad intent. Even before I learned to sense it he gave me chills and I don't want to see any of us get seriously hurt dealing with something like that. Besides-"

"Besides-" Tony interrupts while setting his fork and knife down. "-Paul has no business with either of you. Hes just a bitter idiot who doesn't deserve to be given the attention, the only attention he wants is mine anyways."

"Why does he hate you so much anyways?" Antonio smirks as he cuts out another chunk of the rare stake in front and shoves it in his mouth, blowing off Sarahs question. "Hey that's rude!"

"He clearly isn't up for discussing it, just leave him be." Sarah gives James yet another annoyed glance. He places his hand on the back of his head and laughs nervously. "Eheheh. Either way its not healthy to dwell on such negative things right? Lets look forward to our future! We're graduates we should be thinking of our careers right?"

"Yeah..." Sarah sighs." Yeah I guess you're right. "Sarah raises her glass and manages to bring a bright smile to her face. "Here's to our futures!"

James smiles as he clinks his glass against Sarahs. "To our dreams and our ambitions!"

Antonio begins to raise his glass to the two, but pulls away and drinks down the rest of the beverage before slamming the glass down and sighing. "Heres to Jace being late to the party as usual." Sarahs eye twitches. James once again laughs nervously. "Where the hell's that little runt anyways?"

As if on que the door to the restaurant swings open. In runs a small lad with what looks to be fake samurai get-up. He has a short but instantly recognizable head of hair and a bandanna wrapped around his forehead. Around his neck is a half of a locket with 'best' written on it. This frail looking individual is Jace Terrace, and he's Antonios closest friend. As Jace approaches the table of three he trips and lands face first into James plate of food. Jace is quick to wipe it off. Sarah snickers at James's misfortune as Jace turns to Tony excitedly.

"Tony Tony I heard you passed!! Congrats!" Jace looks toward James and Sarah. He bows at them. "You guys too!"

Sarah pinches Jaces cheek and smiles. "You're always so sweet!"

"Yeah. Sweet and late." Antonio snaps his fingers. Jace looks at Tony as he rubs his two fingers together and mischievously grins. "A bets a bet little buddy. You didn't think I'd pass and I did."

"I'm sorry I ever doubted you!"

"I'm sure you are Jace, but sorry doesn't cover bets. You need Buci for that and I sure hope you brought some with you!"

James and Sarah both give Tony a look of contempt and speak at the same moment. "Bully."

Tony rustles Jaces hair and smiles. "Oh I'm just teasing the little guy. He knows I'm not gonna squeeze him for the cash." Tony gives Jace a creepy look. "Right Jace?" Jace nods nervously before responding.

"R-R-right! Sorry again for doubting you."

"Oh for goodness  sake don't apologize so damn much. It makes you come off as easy prey." Tony smirks. "That's why I pick on you so much."

Jace frantically nods his head. "R-right! Anyways since you guys are licenced now what are you going to do now?"

Sarah and James didn't seem to expect the question, and Antonio doesn't look interested in answering it. Sarah turns to Jace and smiles. "Well, I was hoping to maybe become an officer. I'm almost old enough to work for one of the departments city-wise and being an expert should make it easy for me."

"As for me-" James chimes in. "-I'll probably help Luke out for a bit around the dojo. Kind of want to get into politics in the long run though.

"Pffft, Politics? Sounds like a sad life choice to me." Tony smirks as he speaks. James raises a brow and leans forward.

"Yeah? Then how about you Tony?" Tony looks as if hes going to answer, but instead takes another bite of his steak. James looks frustrated. Jace tilts his head curiously.

"You do have plans right?"

"Nope." Tony speaks with his mouth full. He places the knife down and swallows his food before continuing. "I didn't even care for training in all honesty, I just did it to appease Luke and get him off my case." Tony shakes his head. "The b*****d practically slapped my head off when he found out how little I really cared." Tony shrugs and winks at Jace. "I honestly thought you were gonna win the bet lil guy." Tony sighs and begins to sound deflated. "Guess I should be a bit happy though right? I mean at least I'm a Rio expert now. Might as well go around Norot and fight bigger guys then me until I'm rich or I die. Hell, maybe I'll actually find some kinda meaning to my life right?" Tonys friends hang quiet. Tony breaks the silence with a laugh. "I'm kinda scared ya know? I know Luke wants the best for me and I really don't wanna disappoint him but nothin' in this world actually speaks to me."

"That's depressing." Sarah says in a sad tone. "I never knew you were-"

Tony suddenly stands up. "Well I am and quite frankly Ive said too much." Tony forces a smile. "That being said I'm not gonna stay down. I'll figure somethin' out eventually right? For now I'm headin' home and catching some Z's. Jace?"

"Yeah?" Tony smirks as he begins to walk away.

"Pay for my share."

"But I-" Tony leaves the restaurant before Jace can get another word in. He looks at Sarah and James while nervously twiddling his thumbs. "I have nothing on me right now." Sarah sighs. 

"Don't worry, we'll cover the cheapskate this time."

---

Four days pass. Inside Lukes dojo, the living residence of Antonio and his old brother, Antonio rests in one of several smaller rooms. His room is a mess of a mess, with various papers scattered about. A punching bag lays ruined on the ground and the bed in which Tony laid in is slanted at an awkward angle. Tony himself is awake and staring vacantly at the ceiling. He rolls over and plants his feet on the ground, still remaining seated on his mattress. Tony turns his head to the calendar on his wall, itself of course hanging in a tilt. He then directs his attention to the plaque in which he was awarded a few days ago. A 'pfft' escapes his lips as he stands up. He heads for the door and opens it. At this very moment Luke is ready to knock from the other side. He lets his fist hover in front of Tonys head before he 'knocks' on his head three times, Tony is not amused.

"Knock it off." Tony swipes at Lukes hand. Luke just gives his little brother a stern look.

"You're awake. Good. You and I need to talk." Tony tries to shove past his brother but Luke doesn't allow it. "Now."

"Now's gonna have to wait 'cause I need to take a leak."

"I'm not falling for that." Antonio growls at his brother. He attempts to slam the door in Lukes face but Luke stops it easily. He forces his way in, making sure to block the way in the process. "You've been dodging me ever since I graduated you and I'm done with this cat and mouse nonsense! I showed mercy and compassion to you and Maxine out of respect for our father and Bruce but you've both made it difficult! Between him running off and your slackitude Ive been made to feel ashamed!" Luke takes a step closer to Tony, whose demeanor seems to be shifting to one of defeat. 

"You haven't stepped out of the Dojo for three days now and that son of a b***h Zaines stirring a bunch of crooked rumors! Apparently you only passed because you're family, and people are starting to bite into that crap! For crying out loud you're eighteen! You're skilled enough to make something of yourself but you choose to laze about surrounding yourself with trash!" Tony looks down. Luke sighs deeply. "I cannot stand for this behavior anymore. You are jeopardizing the Dragone name and I WILL take back my decision to pass you before I become 'bias' by blood!"

Tony looks up at Luke and steps up to him. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!" Tony begins to tear up. "Ive been drilling in my head for the past few months as to where I wanna go and I'm drawin' nothin' but blanks alright?! I don't like the responsibility of my name, I don't want to be held in high standards by everyone! I sure as hell don't need a hard-a*s like you constantly reminding me that I have 'so much potential' I already know I do!" Tony shakes his head and wipes his eyes with his sleeve. "I'm terrified Luke. I'm terrified that I'll end up disappointing Dads name or Bruce or even you. I just need time to sort some things out mentally alright?"

Luke sighs once again. He gently rests a hand on Tonys shoulder and speaks sternly, but with care. He hesitates before speaking, as if thinking. "Three months." Tony gives Luke a confused glance. "I'll give you that much time to decide what you want to do." Luke looks about the messed room, grimacing at the punching bag. "This, however, has to stop, and I'm expecting you to keep your body and mind strong between now and then too. No more wasted days."

Tony smiles lightly. "Thank you.

Luke moves aside. "You're free to go now. That is unless you want to clean this up." 

Antonio smirks and walks past Luke. "Maybe later." Luke follows behind Tony and  closes the door shut. "So Luke, do you-" Before Tony can say another word a loud explosive impact is heard. The very foundation of the dojo shivers upon impact. "What the hell?!"

Lukes eyes go angry. "This feels like an attack. I swear if its Paul again hes a dead man." Luke marches to his door, followed closely behind by Tony. The two exit the dojo and look around for the assumed culprit. Lukes suspicions are proven fact when he notices chunks of his roof laying on the ground. His face remains unchanged but rage can be seen in his eyes. "The repairs will be costly..."

Tony points near Lukes triangle ring. "Hey bro I think it was that-" Tonys face suddenly looks surprised. Luke slowly turns toward the ring. His fist glowing with ki. "Max?!

The man Tony calls 'Max' looks similar to him. His hair is shorter but just as ridiculous and also green, though it has a somewhat faded look to it. He has a scar on his cheek. Hes wearing dark blue clothes, kind of fit like a one piece battle suit but it is very subtly two bits of clothing. His fists are quaking in anger and have what looks to be thin smoke surrounding them, probably from  whatever he did a moment ago. This is Maxine Dragone, the younger brother of Luke and a year older then Tony. He has a sour expression aimed at the two. Lukes eye begins to twitch.

"Max?! What's the meaning of this?!"

Max spits at the ground and growls at Luke. "You know damn well what this is about you damn fraud! You deemed  THAT-" Max points at Antonio, who shoots an annoyed look back at him in response. "-worthless lazy bum an expert and now everyone's looking down on the Dragones! Ive had to shut up five people already in the past three days! You think I LIKE beating up helpless know nothings?!"

Luke and Tony respond in unison. "Yes."

"Yeah well that's besides the point! The point is you're ravaging our family name with this rashness Luke! You've always been soft on baby Tony, coddling him and prepping him to stand in fathers place!"

Luke shakes his head and gives Maxine a look of disappointment. "How foolish. For you to have fallen for wild rumors so quickly without contesting them is shameful. Tony graduated because I deemed him as worthy. Had he failed my requirements he would have failed a second time. You, whom hasn't lived in my dojo for a decade now, do not realize the hard work hes put in to earn his diploma."

Max grins angrily. "If that's the case then you'll be fine with him proving himself 'worthy' to a fellow graduee! Lukes tutelage verses Uncle Jebs! Hows about it?!"

Luke takes a few steps forward. "A man as undisciplined as Jeb doesn't deserve a license to teach such a mentally and physically straining art. If you want I can give you some proper lessons-"

"Luke wait." Tony begins to walk toward Max, a determined look in his eyes. His glare is fixed on Max. Luke lets a smile sneak onto his face. "He wants to scuffle with me then I'll give him a scuffle."

"Aw look! Baby bros decided to put on his big pants and step up!"

Tony smirks. "'Baby bro's' gonna make that little mark on your ugly face look like a scrape after hes done with you." Max drags his fingers across his scar and grits his teeth. "I owe Luke at least that much. Maybe I'm a little unmotivated at times but at least I'm not a coward who directly slapped the memories of dad in the face and ran off!"

"Yeah and now I'm glad I did too! Jeb doesn't coddle or privilege like that hand holding b*****d!" Max says as he points at Luke. Antonio smirks angrily.

"'Coddle'?! Ive been slapped around, pushed to my limits and disciplined to my breaking point by that man! You don't have a damn clue what kinda hell Ive had to wade through week in and week out for ten years! Even during the off years he'd work me, and here you think Ive been 'Coddled'!" Tony hops up into the ring and looks down on Max. "Well?! You want to prove my 'coddling' master a fraud right?! Get your a*s up here!" 

Max gladly hops in himself. He wrings his wrist as Tony creaks his neck. "Since this is your turf I'll give you the advantage of laying down the ground rules." Max grins. "Not that it matters.

"Not that it matters-" Tony mimics. "-since I intend on ending your arrogance in this triangle, but three individual ring outs means a loss. Being KOed means a loss. A ring out pauses the competition for ten seconds. Didja get all that or do I have to repeat myself slowly?"

"Oh Ive got it smart a*s, and you're right." Max makes a stance. Several of the townsfolk have gathered to watch and Luke has moved up closer to the ring. "This'll be long over before either of us are outed thrice. You can go ahead and lay all the blame on big bro. After all your beating is his-" Before Max can finish his sentence Antonio's already on the move. He closes the gap between the two rather quickly and flings a right fist at Maxines jaw. Max blocks with his left forearm and quickly grabs for Tonys hand but Tony whips his arm back and takes a quick step back for distance. "-fault."

Tony smirks. "Someone I once knew used to tell me 'talk is cheap' and for one of the few times in his life he was right." Max smirks back at him. "Hows your medicine taste doctor?" 

Max doesn't answer him with words. He feigns throwing himself at Antonio in attempts to get him to throw another punch, but Tony follows Max as he goes left. Antonio makes his attempt to attack then with a right aimed at Maxines sternum. Max barely manages to flow with the punch and tries to use Tonys momentum against him with an armdrag but Tony is agile enough to flip into it. Tony quickly shoots his free arm at the back of Maxines head while in mid flip but Max anticipates this and ducks while releasing his loose grip simultaneously. As he ducks he rolls back and slams his feet in the back of Tony as his own feet touch the ground. Tony cannot regain his balance and tumbles forward. Max kips up and Antonio rolls toward the edge of the triangular ring, slightly clutching his back. Max exudes arrogance and holds up an index finger.

"That's first hit for me lil baby ears."

Tony sneers. "Too bad for you we aren't going based on a point system, eh?" Tony stands up and brushes off his gi. "I hope all your kicks aren't so force-less though, that was just pathetic man."

"Oh, was it force-less?!" Maxines legs begins to glow with ki. Tony raises a brow as Max smirks. "I betcha this one won't be!" Max slams his left leg into a sprint, propelling himself viciously airborne at Tony. He brings his other leg up in an attempt to crush his brothers throat while grinning madly. Tony immediately steps to the right and out of the path of Maxines assault. Max looks shocked as he flies out of the ring and doesn't stop.

"That's first out for me lil runaway coward." Antonio gives Luke a thumbs up. Maxines momentum finally stops when he plants his knee into the tree in his way. The tree splinters at point of impact and tumbles down. Max lands on his feet and turns to the ring, humiliated and furious. Antonio waves at him as he approaches the ring. "You have a nice flight? Hope the landing was smooth-"

"It won't happen again!" Maxine bellows at his cocky brethren. He hops back into the ring and glares a hole into Tony. Tony gives Max distance, about twenty feet worth of it. "You hear me Antonio?! You got lucky!"

"Sorry bro but lucks got nothin' to do for it." Tony taps his head and looks at Max as if hes an idiot. "You can't just launch yourself at your enemy so obviously, no matter how quickly you move. Didn't your teacher tell you the basics of dodging or is he an, erm..." Tony begins to scratch his head. "What was that word you used? I think it was Fraud? Yeah Uncles a fraud and so are you." Maxines eyes go immediately sharp. He says nothing, he just walks toward Tony. "Guess I hit a nerve-" Max suddenly jolts forward. He throws a feign kick to Tonys right, which he tries to block leaving himself open to a hard backhand to the right side of his head. He knees him twice in the gut while he stands rattled and then places his left palm on his chest. It begins glowing with ki and Luke immediately notices.

"Hey if you do that at that range you'll kill him!!!"

Without missing a beat "Good." escapes Maxines mouth, right as he makes this statement Tony slams his knee into the right of his side and pushes him a foot back. He grabs Maxines still outstretched arm and forces him toward him, headbutting him hard in the head. his own fist begins to radiate Ki. "You wanna call US frauds and then turn around and get murderous when I do likewise?!" Tony slams his powered fist into the solar plexus of Max. Max coughs violently as the two fall to the ground. As soon as Maxines back hits the stone ring it craters around them and cracks. Luke almost looks ill, as if dreading the cost of repairs. Tony slowly stands up and looks down upon his assumed unconscious brother. As Tony turns his back Max sits up.

"Where do you think your going Antonio?" A trickle of blood runs down Maxines mouth. Tony turns to Max and sighs. "We're not done here."

"Yes, we are."

Max stands up. He has a bit of trouble keeping his footing. "You haven't given me three ring outs OR knocked me unconscious. We're not done bro." 

Antonio gives Max an uninterested look. "I have nothing more to prove to you. Ive out maneuvered you and Ive laid you flat on your back." Tony rubs imaginary blood off the side of his mouth. "Ive even got 'first blood' on ya. Lukes pride as my master's been defended and Ive made you look like a fool, so before you go shaming both OUR name and your lousy masters name as well take a hike!"

Max bites his lower lip and holds Tony in contempt with his eyes. He crosses his arms and turns his head to the ground. "I admit my folly, and believe you me I will make sure whoever spread the lies will be in a world of pain by the time I get my hands on him, but we aren't done." Max lowers his arms. "I started this scuffle, I think its only right that I ended it."

"Good god you're so stubborn!" Tony cracks his knuckles. "Alright, you wanna finish it we'll finish it, but I don't want you sending me the medical bill or getting pissed off at me when your crappin' blood for the next handful of months!"

Max grins excitedly. "Thatta boy. I wanted to show you something cool anyways, you've earned it."

---

Meanwhile near the outskirts of Inizioville near a small house stands Jace, James and Sarah. Sarah has a backpack on and appears to be getting ready to leave. Jace looks somewhat sad and James somewhat upset himself, but both are smiling none the less.

"You sure you don't want to say goodbye to Tony? I know he doesn't show it but I'm sure he cares about you as much as we do and he'll probably be upset about not being able to at least give you a good luck pat on the back."

Sarah shakes her head and gives a bright smile. "He'll understand. He needs this time to worry about himself and figure out what he needs to do anyways, I don't want to give him more to think about. Who knows, maybe it'll give him incentive to visit the city right? Just give him my best when he finally comes out of the dojo 'kay?"

James looks at Jace with worry, then back at Sarah. "Well if you're fine with that."

Jace hugs Sarahs sleeve. His eyes tear up. "I'll miss you!"

"Aww I'll miss you too sweetheart."

Sarah rests her cheek on Jaces head. James sighs with a smile. "You be careful out there Sarah. Never underestimate the depravities of the city-folk."

Sarah lifts her head up and smiles back at James, confidence booms from her. "Its the city-folk that need to be careful of me, not the other way around!"

James laughs. "I bet!" With that Sarah turns and walks off into the big unknown. She waves at Jace and James one last time as her distance from them grows. Jace begins to cry. James simply places his hand on his shoulder for comfort.

---

The ring is half in ruin. Debris lays all across and around it, and the dust of what had transpired lingers in the air. Luke has a look of disdain and anger with a pinch of shock. Max is leaving the ring, looking worse for where while Antonio lay unconscious near the edge of the ring. He is a bloody mess.

"That irresponsible piece of trash taught you that?!"

Max wheezes as he looks at Luke. A grin grows on his face. "Yeah he did, what's it to you?" Maxines eyes float over toward Tony. "You shoulda taught him it."

Luke shakes his head and raises his voice in anger. "Its a technique that requires years of proper mental, spiritual and physical training, years I KNOW you haven't earned yet given how much damage its done to you in just thirty seconds of use! If you use it so recklessly you could die!"

"Oh shut up and mind your business! I'll work out my problems with it over time, in the meantime maybe you should reconsider what you've taught lil baby ears." Max begins to walk away, still wheezing. He stops and slightly turns his head at Luke. "I ever hear you call my master a 'piece of trash' again it won't be pretty." Luke looks at his estranged brother with disappointment as he lifts his arm up and waves. "So long!"

---

Antonio wakes in his bed. His room looks to have been cleaned up just a bit. He has an ice pack over his head and a cast over the bridge of his nose. He looks over to see an still upset Luke straightening things and cleaning up around the room. Tony winces as he sits up, taking the ice pack off of his head and laying it on his lap.

"Luke, how long-"

"Forty five minutes, give or take ten." Luke turns to Antonio and forces a smile. "I brought you in and cared for your wounds after Max left. I'm surprised you're already conscious." Luke looks at his young brother with slight concern. "You're alright, right?"

"Yeah..." Tony shakes his head. "No, no I don't think so." Tony shifts his body so that his legs are hanging off of the side of the bed. He looks at Luke as if hes sorry for disappointing him. "I had no clue we were so distant. From the very start I never stood a chance."

"Tony-"

"Please don't." Tony frowns. He tosses the ice pack at the wall and lowers his head. "He made fun of me Luke! He lowered his standards initially out of some sick sense of pity! I'm weak!!"

"There is no truth in that statement and you know it! James, Sarah, they wouldn't have lasted ten seconds against that technique! Hell, two or three more and it would have been you standing victor!"

"Technique?! What in the hell are you talking about!?" Luke immediately purses his lips and turns his head away from Tony. Tony tilts his head and looks at his brother with suspicion. "What are you talking about?"

"Welp, I'm sure glad you're feeling better! You go ahead and get some proper rest!" Luke turns and begins to whistle. He begins to take big steps toward the door. Tony stands up as Lukes hand grabs the door knob.

"Now you hold on a damn second! You're clearly hiding somethin' and I deserve to know!" Luke mutters 'd****t' under his breath as he lets the door knob go and turns to Tony. "So, you were saying something about a 'technique' Max used."

Luke sighs. "Indeed. Its the only reason he won, especially after you downed him. Its a high level talent used to heighten ones capabilities to their highest potential at the cost of stamina and, if improperly trained or only partially learned, health." Luke gives a stern look. "Max quadrupled his inner and outer strength despite his lack of full inner control, and he most certainly learned it from someone not qualified to teach it."

Tony sits back down and begins tapping his knee. "What, are you qualified?"

Luke sighs. "I know it, but I don't know it well enough to legally teach it, and neither does Jeb. He could potentially lose his license to run a dojo because of this incident. The only ones alive right now that can even legally teach it are Bruce and Gramps."

Tony raises a brow. "Bruce?! But hes not even all that old, OR a Dragone!"

"Age isn't a factor, especially for Bruce and you know it. That man is a protege through and through, he understands the technique fully, but hes less likely to teach you then the old man.

"I see." Tony stops tapping his knee. A surprisingly bright look crosses hi eyes. "I think I know what I want to do Luke."

Luke raises a brow. "You're not going to bug Grandpa until he teaches you are you?"

Tony 'pffts' as he stands up. "Hell no. Do I look that dumb to you? I'm not interested in cripplin' myself. I have somethin' else in mind." Tony slowly holds up his hand. He holds three fingers up and smiles. "Three years. I'm disappearing into the Eastvein Woods and I'm working my a*s off. I don't want anyone bothering me-" A look of seriousness crosses Tonys eyes. "-for their own safety. I don't give a damn if you accept me as deserving of that certificate or not-" Antonio says as he points at his plaque on the dresser. "-I'm not happy with the way Max won. Whether or not he beefed himself up with some illegal special skill or whatever I have no excuse for allowing my body to give out before his." Tony lowers his arm and looks to his window. "Maybe after that I might seek Bruce out, or travel around the country. Depends on what I'm feelin' more up to. I'll figure out everything else along the way."

Luke waits a handful of seconds before speaking. "Eastvein Woods though? Bad place to go if you want to live." Tony doesn't respond. Luke smiles. "I suppose you can handle yourself though. No one with any sanity even goes near those woods. I just want one thing from you-"

"Before that, I want you to promise me you won't tell Jace or Sarah or anyone else. I do NOT want to be bothered by anyone, again for their own safety. That goes for you too."

Luke looks into his brothers eyes. "A promise for a promise then. Don't die. I won't ask for you not to be reckless in this personal training of yours but I want you to tell me with all confidence that you will come back alive."

Antonio nods and holds out his pinky. "That goes without saying. You'll see me in three years."

Luke smiles. He grabs Tonys pinky in his own. "Then I'll keep your location secret. If anyone asks I'll just say he 'disappeared toward the south'." They shake on it. "Just, get some rest before you do this. You're in no shape to do anything right now."

---

And So It Begins


© 2020 Jeffrey J Dotson


Author's Note

Jeffrey J Dotson
There will be a chapter once a week (story to be updated every Thursday or Friday) unless noted otherwise. Also I'm debating on whether to change the rating to mature (not necessary for this chapter) given the subject matter of later exploits.

Exposition Time:
Buci - The currency of Norot.

Sevendown - The story is called as such given the Seven allied nations the story takes place around. The alliance, hence, is noted as Sevendown.

Rio Martial Art - A schooling that pertains to enhancing ones inner ability and mental strength more then anything else, and often taught by the Dragone family line with few exceptions.

Norot - A nation of five countries (North, South, East, West & Central Norot) governed in Sovereignty by a sole king.

The primary story of Sevendown focuses on three primary characters and how their wills and actions effect the borders of the Seven Nations; how the treaty is effected. Antonio Dragone, son of a legendary Rio Grandmaster and trained by his oldest Brother, is one of the three. The other two will be introduced as the story progresses.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello, I have not finished reading this but I'm out of time. I'm writing this so I'll remember to come back.
Dave

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1298 Views
1 Review
Added on August 19, 2016
Last Updated on July 25, 2020
Tags: Action, Adventure, Drama

Sevendown


Author

Jeffrey J Dotson
Jeffrey J Dotson

Merritt Island, FL



About
A young man who's working on a story hes been planning out for some time now (Sevendown). Its grown, changed and evolved into something I think a lot of people might enjoy and I am PROUD to introduce .. more..

Writing