27th Exploit: Turmoil and Preparation 3

27th Exploit: Turmoil and Preparation 3

A Chapter by Jeffrey J Dotson
"

Clark wraps up his loose end with Onex as Antonio continues to debate and speak to his older brother Luke. The day of action is drawing near!

"
27th Exploit: Turmoil and Preparation Pt. 3

Onex sits wide awake in the Minohealth center hospital bed. His hand is cuffed to the railing on the side of the bed between him and a small table holding his rather average looking lunch. He has a heavily depressed look on his face, still in denial over hearing about his friends death. He jiggles his wrist in vain, though he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave right now. There's a tap on the door and he turns to it fast. It opens. Clark and Zorn enter as if they are welcomed guests, but Onex is confused as he's never seen these two in his life.

"Who are you two?" Zorn grabs a chair and sets it next to the left of Onex's bed. Clark hands Zorn his red coat and sits comfortably on the chair, placing his two feet arrogantly onto the foot end of Onex's bed. "Are you with Tai Corp too?"

"You're right on the money!" Onex looks over at Zorn, who grins down at him with menace. "As you may have already been told-" Onex turns his head back at Clark. "-one of our products ended up mishandled, and that product eventually turned up in the possession of your friend Veto. Personal footage from the product as well as vandalism on it reading 'Veto-Bot' point clearly toward the man so please, try no to pull any 'I don't know what you're talking about' stunts." Onex remains silent. Clark switches one foot over another and brings his hands behind his head. "Veto, unfortunately for both of us, is no longer of this world." Onex closes his eyes and holds back tears. Zorn almost looks disgusted. "Initially, I was going to bring up charges to all parties involved in its mishandling, hijacking and destruction, including you and your other friends, but Ive since had just a little bit of a change of heart-"

"Please! Just let me see some proof that he's dead! I can't and won't just believe the words of strangers!" Clark looks annoyed, but forces himself to stay composed.

"Well yes of course. Unfortunately I don't have the disk on me but there's footage from my product back at our headquarters, still sitting in one of my compartments." Onex seems to settle down a bit but is still riddled with apprehension. "Would you like to know Veto's fate, so that you aren't shocked when you see it yourself?"

"...Yes." Clark lets out a 'hmph' and smirks.

"The lady swordsman who incapacitated you mercilessly struck him dead." Onex's eyes sharpen a little. He knows of who Clark is speaking about. "I can tell your heart dances with vengeance, doesn't it?" Onex is silent. "Well, I'll tell you what. I'll clear you of what debt you have from my end if you'll stay within the services of the Tai Tower for two weeks as a mercenary. Hell, I know where that girl lives-"Onex turns his head down and away from Clark sadly. Clark glares daggers at him. "Don't tell me you'd spit in the face of such a prime for the taking offer! This is an opportunity to avenge your friend AND clear his name as well as your own!" Zorn laughs.

"Hes useless anyways Clark. Can't feel a bit of fighting spirit in 'em! Just let him rot in debt for the rest of his life!" Onex turns his head back to Clark with determination in his eyes. "Hmm?"

"If I do this for you, If I agree-" Onex gulps. "-I'll get a chance for a rematch?" Clark grins. Zorn shakes his head and shrugs as Clark pulls a key out of his pants pocket. Its most likely a handcuff key.

"Absolutely!"

---

Antonio sits in the gurgling bear. He's reminiscing about 'the good times'. He remembers one time when Sarah got a little drunk and danced on one of the tables with a terrified Jace as Antonio and James sat back laughing, some five years ago. He has a half glass of Inizioville brewed Shroom Rum. His eye twitches as he also remembers an old friend from Pauls defunct Mahogney school, and how he could never beat the guy in arm wrestling. His thoughts drift back to his ever hated nemesis Paul, whom he's quick to shake out of his head before downing the rest of his brew and hiccuping. He see's Luke coming into the bar through the distortion of his empty glass mug and scoffs as Luke sits next to him.

"Whaaat? You ain't bout to try and convince me to not go again are you?" Luke shakes his head and crosses his arms solemnly.

"The point would be moot. You've made up your mind, as a matter of fact I don't think Ive ever seen you this determined in some time, even before you went into those nasty woods to train isolated. In a way I'm glad to see you so dedicated." Luke sighs. "I just wish it was for a cause that wouldn't lead to a nearly certain death."

"Hey-" Tony scoffs. "-At ain't gonna work either knucklehead." Luke laughs, slightly worried.

"Hey yourself." Antonio grumbles as he eyes the empty mug. "I just wanted to talk with you on a more casual basis. I know its only been roughly two or so days since you left but it seems like a lots happened with you already. How's the outside world treating you and Jace, other then, you know..."

"Yeah." Tony's eyes flash with anger. "Other then 'that', Ive got to say so far there's not been much of a dull moment. I met this pretty cool guy in a fighting gambling club."

"Fight club? Really?"

"Gotta have a little fun, killjoy. Anyways, this guys name is Jason, right? Hes definitely too good to be lulling his days in a place like that, but I guess you can make a pretty decent living there."

"You didn't drag Jace to a hole like that too did you?"

"Oh of course not! He stayed in a safe spot I assure you." Antonio spares the details. As far as Luke knows that could just mean he was staying with Clarice. "But yeah That Jason's got an electrical  fighting spirit. Never knew such a thing existed til I met him."

"Hmm, sounds like a Bolzen Kafer." Tony drunkenly nods. "Ive met a couple when I was around your age, travelling with Dad in Kurishia. Always hated how rough they have it, hopefully things have gotten better for them."

"Dunno. Oh yeah!" Tony snaps his fingers. "Speaking of 'dragged' Jace forced me to go to see the Norot Kings 'big' speech. Kind of boring if you ask me but I could tell from just a glance that guy-" Antonio sobers up a little. "-that guys dangerous as hell."

"Hmm." Luke nods. "Well he was formerly one of the top generals of the nation before becoming its king. You're not gonna try to start something with him too are you?"

"Hell no, I have no issue with the man but I'm tellin' you, he's definitely a schemer." Antonio shakes his head in disgust. "Seems everyone is outside this place. For every Jason or Clarice there's a Clark." Antonio clutches his fist angrily. "Damn that man!" Luke sighs.

"To think, both my younger brothers are enemies of the nations most influential." Luke almost looks ashamed. "Well, anything else? I know you re-met that Clarice again, but what else?"

"Nope, nothing else." The waitress refills Antonio's mug, as well as setting a glass of milk in front of Luke. He is quick to drink a third of it before setting it back down, thinking of Paul and Zaine for a moment but decides against speaking of either, and Joao isn't even an after thought. "In a couple of days Me, Clarice, and Jason all agreed to go at that Tower." Antonio hiccups. "Once I drop off Jace here we're workin'. Clarice even got a well rounded plan! We're going at that tower during what is 'silver opportunity' according to her. We-"

"Hold on, are you telling me you're really roping that girl in on this? I recognize she's a tough ally, but this seems selfish."

"Hold on there bro, she decided this BEFORE I even met her!" Luke is intrigued. "I can't divulge too much, but just know that she's got some crazy secrets. I'm not saying she's a Ferland spy and I'm NOT saying she's gonna try to rob their data banks, whatever that means, but-" Luke looks at Tony deadpan. "Oh."

"You're already telling me too much, just stop. I get it. But how about this Jason?"

"Reliable as it gets. As for his reasons? He just want's a little excitement I guess?" Antonio shrugs, pretending he wasn't practically guilt tripping Jason earlier into not 'dropping out' of the mission. "I kinda think he had a little thing for Sarah though, they were flirting with each other a lot." Luke is silent for a moment.

"...Alright. You and your friends have my blessing." Antonio 'pffts' as he drinks down another good portion of his rum. "Whatever comes of it, have no regrets. I won't judge you, but I'll have to prepare my heart for bad news." Tony rolls his eyes. "If nothing else, you go and give that Clark a thrashing he'll never forget."

---
Two Days Later

Clarice is sitting on a wooden stool outside in her back yard. She's currently in the process of tending to her blade, making sure its clean as well as nice and sharp. Meanwhile Jace is near one of the trees, not too far from Clarice. He's swinging a sword made of bamboo around clumsily. One might call it practicing but Clarice immediately thinks of how childish Jace looks. 'There's no sense of proper posture' she thinks as she focuses on her edge. 

Jace almost trips. He whimpers a bit before going into a poor upper middle stance. Clarice sighs. 'He has no skill or bravery' she thinks. 'Its hard to imagine hes only three years younger then me.' Clarices eyes suddenly shift to her back sliding glass doors and she stands. 'An intruder?' crosses her thoughts this time. Inside of her house, in the living room with Clarices fireplace, the door is wide open and a silhouette is feeling the wall for a light switch when Clarice's blade comes roaring toward his neck. The figure grabs the blade with an aura imbued hand, Clarice immediately recognizes the fighting spirit. The figure finds the light switch and hits it, revealing himself to be Antonio. Clarice looks almost ashamed.

"Damn!" Tony exclaims. "Still haven't learned from our first meeting?!?" Clarice brings the blade away from Tony's hand and slowly sheathes it.

"Hmph. You're a day early."

"Well, I still need to take Jace back to Inizioville, remember?" Clarice lowers her head just a slight bit.

"Actually, that reminds me..." Jace, whose still outside, continues to swing the bamboo sword. Hes a bit curious as to why Clarice left so suddenly but 'maybe she just needed to use the restroom.', so Jace continues on. His head jolts up as he hears Antonio shouting.

"ARE YOU F*****G INSANE?!?!" Jace drops the bamboo stick and runs into the house, nearly tripping as he runs through the glass doors. He sees Antonio practically bearing down angrily at a composed Clarice. "There isn't a chance in HELL I'm okay with that!" Tony's fist begins to shake at his side. "And I'm shocked that someone as seemingly smart as you would come up with such a hair brained addition to our plan! Its already good, Clarice, you're just adding a goddamn potential chip against us!"

"Hardly. Our plan as is has maybe a 30% chance of succeeding, not including your own personal detour, with this we actually have a way out that doesn't involve bringing my friends crew into the mix and further complicating things, at least with this if we get caught we have a more reliable out-"

"Damn it Clarice we ain't gonna get caught!" Antonio is trying not to let his anger control him, reballing his fists over and over again. "Jason and I will make damn sure you'll get what you need, and Jason is fast enough to be a ghost! As for as I'm concerned I'll go out in a blaze of f*****g glory, and happily, before I put Jace at risk!" Antonio gets in Clarices face. She doesn't flinch or back down. "Call your damn pals, they're trained f*****g soldiers right?!" Jace almost looks like hes about to run back out before Antonio suddenly turns his head angrily at him. "AND YOU!"

"Wah?!" Antonio shoves past Clarice and marches toward Jace. "Hey wait-"

"You're actually okay with her insane idea?! Look, I promised to take you out of Inizioville so that you could have a fun adventure, but I'm NOT about to bring you into what she keeps telling me is hell! Even Luke knows about that Tower and he thinks its certain death!

"I-" Jace forces himself to stand his ground. "I might actually be useful! The man whose president of Tai Corp is almost certainly my old friend! We have the same exact pendant and-"

"And that 'president friend' of your won't even be there when we sack the place, idiot!"

"But still he will be back for long, and when he comes back we'll be able to explain-"

"WE ALL MIGHT BE DEAD!!!" Jace is shocked. Clarice almost seems impressed that Antonio is taking this mission with a bit of realism. "These professionals will be laughing themselves to the point of pissing their pants when they see a little punk waving around his trinket like a goof saying please! Please spare me I know the boss-"

"DON'T INSULT ME!!" Jace glares at Antonio, who stands surprised. Tony's right fist opens into a palm. It begins to glow with aura. "I'm not a goddamn baby Tony, I can think for myself and I think in the end you'll need me!" Antonio shakes his head.

"I refuse, adamantly REFUSE, to bring a liability like you with us-" Jace slaps Antonio in the face. Antonio stands there for a moment. His anger is washed away into a tranquil fury. He's never been so tested by Jace in his life. An angry smug smirk crosses over his face as his eyes flash toward Jace. "You little s**t." Antonio raises his aura whirling hand up to slap Jace back. Jace, who can't perceive fighting spirit, stands his place. Clarice grabs Antonio's hand.

"Tony that's enough." Clarice says sternly as she lets Antonio's hand go. Tony grits his teeth as he looks back at Clarice. "If it comes down to it, I'll call on my emergency back up. Jeoni's a wild one and it'll take his crew about a week to get to the Tower but he's extremely reliable." Clarice almost smirks. "He's kind of like you, just even more stubborn somehow."

"Don't compare me to some prick Ive never met." Clarice turns away from Antonio and sighs. Tony turns toward Jace, whose already sitting on the couch and has his arms crossed in protest. "We'll give Sarah a visit before we attack the Tower tomorrow. After you pay your respects to her I'm taking you straight to Inizioville and meeting back with Clarice and Jason. This isn't debatable." Jace pouts.

---
A day later

There's three taps on Clarice's door. Antonio, who is lazily sitting on Clarices couch and watching  the Kurishia Fight Network* on her television set raises his arm up.

"Come on in Jason!" The door opens and Jason walks in. Hes a little wet from the rain outside. Over his arm is a duffel bag. "Hope you're ready for tonight."

"Heh, guess I'm about as ready as I can be." Jason sets the bag aside as he shuts the door behind him. "Ive got a couple goodies I think might help!"


© 2020 Jeffrey J Dotson


Author's Note

Jeffrey J Dotson
*Kurishia Fight Network = A station that broadcasts all none PTW* fights tournaments that are aired in Kurishia. There's a 'highlight for the night' hour every Third Circle* that features great moments in filmed competition outside of Kurishia.
*PTW-Pay To Watch = Essentially this world's version of Pay Per View.
*Third Circle= Tuesday. There are seven circles in a week.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on July 22, 2020
Last Updated on July 23, 2020
Tags: Drama, Adventure, Action

Sevendown


Author

Jeffrey J Dotson
Jeffrey J Dotson

Merritt Island, FL



About
A young man who's working on a story hes been planning out for some time now (Sevendown). Its grown, changed and evolved into something I think a lot of people might enjoy and I am PROUD to introduce .. more..

Writing