23rd Exploit: The News Breeds Storms

23rd Exploit: The News Breeds Storms

A Chapter by Jeffrey J Dotson
"

Antonio once again defeats Zaine, with Jason and Clarice taking care of his backup, and now seeks info on Sarah. Sarah, meanwhile, has fallen into a tragic state...

"
23rd Exploit: The News Breeds Storms

Zaine opens his eyes and tries to sit up. He sees three set of legs surrounding him, as well as his martial arts license and smartphone halved and resting upon his stomach. Zaine lays his head back on the ground distress and looks up at Antonio, who wears an angry smirk.

"A bet's a bet Zed, that's twice you've lost now." Zaine groans and forces himself to sit up. Tony kneels next to him intimidatingly. "So, buddy, where is she?"

"..." Tony leans on Zaines shoulder impatiently. "She ought to still be in headquarters. Its in Central Norot, not too far from the capital. Its a big black tower that stands above the county. Its easily the biggest building in the whole nation." Zaine grits his teeth. "Tonio, you-"

"Save it." Antonio shoves himself off of Zaines shoulder and stands tall. "I'm done with you. Be happy you get to leave for home at all."

"Tai Corp's headquarters..." Clarice speaks up. "I have some business to deal with there myself." Antonio raises an eyebrow.

"You don't say?" Clarice turns her head to Zaine.

"Perhaps speaking of it here in front of troubling company isn't wise. And perhaps leaving this man alive in general isn't wise either. He could very well report back to TC with any info those machines weren't able to acquire. The thorn is out of the side but it hasn't been disposed of yet."

Antonio shakes his head. "Zed knows hes outmatched here, and I imagine his employer wants nothing to do with him there, right Zed?"

Zaine grumbles. "Like I'd go anywhere near Tai Tower after this. That psychopath Clark wouldn't let me leave the building alive." Zaine smiles nervously. "He'd definitely sic that dog of his on me. Zorn... That's one person I'd rather not have to mess with today." Zaine turns himself to face Antonio and speaks toward Tony mockingly. "And you'll feel the exact same way if you ever meet up with him Tonio! Zorn, hell, a bunch of people there aren't the kind of guys you just beat up and make silly bets with! They'll kill you!!!"

---

Clark is still reeling in pain, though hes seated behind his desk so at the very least he isn't struggling to stand. The window is once again closed, and Zorn stands across the room, digging his pinky finger into his nostril.

"So-" Clark angrily lifts his head off his desk and looks at Zorn. "-You sure we ain't gonna get s**t for what jus' went down?"

Clark groans before speaking. "The clean up crew tend to not ask too many questions. They know what my voice sounds like, and they know better then to ask stupid questions..." Zorn removes his pinky from his nostril and flinks the dried crust on it to the side. Clark is appalled. "Hey, don't do that in my office!"

Zorn ruffles his unkempt hair and smirks. "My bad. I hate having dry snot up in there. Anyways-" Zorns demeanor shifts from that of an aloof buffoon to a deranged maniac. He grips his hair psychotically and grins. "-Did they find her down there dead or alive?" 

Clark looks at Zorn with a small measure of concern. "She's alive. Unresponsive, but breathing." Zorn angrily spits to the side. Once again Clark is disgusted. "Could you NOT litter my room with your damn nasty habits!?!"

"HMPH!" Zorns grin diminishes but is still wicked. "Should've put more destructive power into that throw."

"And what, leave a spiral across the whole parking lot?" Clark sighs longingly. "I'm glad she lived, and even more glad she fell into a coma. If they aren't looking into a corpse I can cover it up better, and since she's not saying anything that's all the better right?"

Zorn looks at Clark somewhat dumbfounded. To him its all the same, regardless if shes dead or alive her 'falling out of a window and landing with an spiral carved out of the ground is plain suspicious', but he keeps these thoughts to himself.

---

The door to Clarices house opens. Jace, who is in the living room watching NLB News, stands and turns. Clarice, Tony and Jason, in that order, walk into the house. Jason closes the door behind him, shutting away any hope Jace had of seeing Sarah with them. His face deflates from hope to disappointment.

"Alright-" Antonio speaks as he leans on the left side of Clarice's fireplace.His hair is dangerously close to brushing against several of her sheathes, including the only one with an actual sword in it. Clarice looks weary. "-so, now the f**k what?"

Jason strikes a thinking pose. "There's always the chance she was never even kidnapped, you know?" Tony turns his head to Jason. One of his 'spikes' brushes against a sheathe, making it nervously wobble upon its resting spot. Clarices eye twitches anxiously. "She literally works for their corperation, so it could very well be a load of crap from a piece of trash. On the other hand Clark's a known man-child so it wouldn't really be beneath him to use his own for gain. I do know one thing though."

Antonio 'hmphs'. "Yeah, whats that?"

Jason raises his right hand and spreads his thumb and index finger apart. "If we were to just rush in like a bunch of barbaric nitwits all willy nilly-" Sparks shoot from his thumb and finger in a joining line of electricity. Jason suddenly snaps his fingers and light sparks fly. "-we would all bite it."

"You mean we'd die?" Antonio reels his head back and begins to laugh. His hair nearly knocks down a couple of Clarice's collections off their place holders. "What could they possibly do to me that the damned Vinewoods haven't?"

"Antonio." Clarice has a cold tone in her voice. Tony lets out a silly sigh and looks in her direction. She has a calm smile as her hand rests nonchalantly upon the hilt of her blade. "Perhaps you might mind your surroundings."

"Huh?"

Jason laughs a little. "The swords man,you're gonna knock 'em off the fireplace." Antonio removes his back from his resting place and turns around, confused. "That aside, you really don't want to just blow off these people like they're your average bandit or merc. Ive heard things about a lot of their higher ranks. That they got monsters in human flesh among them..."

"Yes." Clarice speaks. "The Tai Corporation is tightly knit, a well working organization that has a collection of some truly powerful beings among their ranks. The first time I stepped into the tower I could feel no less then twelve people with fighting spirits more potent then mine."

Jason nods his head. "That reminds me, you said you had business with them?"

"Yes. A follow up interview." Clarice crosses her arms as Jason and Tony both look at her with shock.

"An interview?!" They speak at once. Jason scratches his horn.

"Didn't you say something about hating 'em or something? Do people who hat TC get hired?"

"Don't be a smart a*s. The interview is meant to be a ruse for the sake of infiltration." Clarice lowers her head. "Ive already got a group of friends back in Ferland I planned on calling up once it was time..." Clarice looks up at Jason and Tony, who are now attentive as hell. "Well, I suppose I should be careful of how much I talk. Ive already said enough to jeopardize the mission." Clarice shakes her head. "I can't say anymore unless I know for a fact you two are in."

"Well, if Tony's still going I'm game. Otherwise-" Jason shrugs. "Best of luck." Antonio paces back and forth in front of the fireplace. 

"Maybe, but hell if the kidnapping nonsense is just a lie on Clarks part wouldn't going there make things worse for Sarah? I'd hate to give her anymore unnecessary problems."

"So-" Jace speaks finally. "-Sarah wasn't there then?" Antonio shakes his head.

"Sorry little guy, only thing there was a piss poor attempt at tricking me."

"Oh." Jace's gaze lowers to the ground. Antonio 'tsk's' and walks away from the fireplace toward the living room. Jason casually follows him. Jace looks back up at clarice's collection of sheathes. "Hm..." Jace desperately thinks of how to kill the awkward atmosphere drowning the place in the wake of Sarah's unknown condition. "Mrs Jalehan?" Clarice looks over at Jace. "You have a pretty nice collection here. were they all bought, and why is there only one with a sword in it?" Clarice looks up at the bladed sheath in question with the slightest tinge of pain written on her face.

"That sword." Clarice closes her eyes. "That one is a long, painful story." Clarice opens her eyes back up. "As for the sheathes, those are mostly for decoration. Potential replacements should the one I have ever see its end."

"I see." So, I'm guessing that sword isn't for wielding is it?" Clarice sighs and places a hand on her hip.

"That nasty thing was owned by the man whom raised me in the way of the blade. He's also the first and last man Ive ever loved and trusted with my whole heart." Clarice forces a bitter smile. "If our paths were to ever cross, our blades would too and one of us would be vanquished certainly." Clarice glares at the blade above the fireplace with scorn. "That is what he would want me to slay him with, but I shall not give him such satisfaction."

"Well, what happened between you two?" Clarice grumbles.

"I won't speak further of it. Just thinking of him churns my stomach, I only keep that blade as a reminder of what I must do when we meet again-"

"THAT NO GOOD SON OF A B***H!!!" 

Both Clarice and Jace look toward the living room. Jason is holding Antonio back from the Television set, which has a 'worried' Clark standing in front of one of the cameras rolling live. In the upper right corner is small text that reads 'TC Associate in critical condition after falling out window.'

"-and I guess she was leaning on the window or something when it malfunctioned and opened. I have no clue how she ended up so far from the building but I sure do hope she ends up okay-"


Oh you lying sack of s**t! I'm gonna rip your damn face off and glue it to your a*s!" Antonio tries to take a step toward the TV but Jason doesn't let him.

"Calm down, calm down!"

"You did it! I f*****g know you did it b*****d!" Antonio grits his teeth. "He's a dead man!" Antonio forces himself free from Jason and stomps toward Clarice. She stays composed but instinctively has her hand near her blades hilt. "Whatever your plan is I'm in! a hundred percent! Lets burn the place to the damned ground!"

Clarice scoffs. "Burning the building is not a part of the plan."

"Wait!" Jace is quick upon the TV set as the president of Tai Corp, Tai Delorance, is now being shown on screen. "I recognize him!" The broadcaster speaks.

"In related news, the president of Tai Corp will be heading to the nation of Kurishia in roughly three days. Reports note that his intentions involve meeting with several inspiring entrepreneurs for a speech, as well as checking on how his management team is doing over there and doing various walk through-"

"Well of course you recognize him pal." Jason speaks. "The guy's probably about as popular as the king of Norot, it not more so."

"No, that's not what I mean! I mean I know him personally! He's even still wearing our friendship locket across his neck. That guys real name is Joel!" Jace now has everyone's attention, including a still angry Tony's. "His hair's a bit different but I'd remember that face from anywhere! We used to hang out all the time before I moved to Inizioville!"

"Huh. That sounds a little too on the nose to be true... No offense to you, but a small village boy personally knowing one of the most financially powerful men in all of the seven nations is something of a stretch."

Clarice has an intent look on the locket of both Tai and Jace. "They are split flawlessly down where they ought to meet. Its a bit hard to tell since the other half is through a broadcast, but if that isn't the other half of what Jace has then that would be an even greater coincidence. "Clarice ponders. "Such things do happen, but my word this is potentially big."

"Well, I could care less about lockets and coincidences right now." Antonio clenches his fists. "All I care about is making that smug, lying pile of vomit pay! He's officially crossed the line!

"And I guess that mean's we're officially in agreement Clarice." Jason smirks through his scarf. "So, what's the plan M'lady?"

Clarice. Looks across the room at the three and sighs long. "Alright, so-"

---

Meanwhile at a rather nondescript bar somewhere in St. Costas Paul drowns his rage in alcohol. He's laughing at what he'd just seen in the news being broadcast above the patrons. No doubt he's soaking in the horrible emotions he's imagining Antonio going through. He slams the glass mug down hard enough for it to shatter and sneers, detecting a presence not too far from him.

"You are horrible at hiding your aura, you know." Paul grins. "It stinks of Dragone, foul and repugnant!" 

Paul slowly turns to face the person who has just walked up from behind him. He glares a hole through this man. He stands as tall as Antonio Dragone and looks quite similar to him, but wears a black hat with several silver rings piecing through the dark red band around its middle. He has shades covering his eyes and a dark red shirt on. His pants are dark grey and there's a chain hooked from his left front pocket to the middle of his pants just beside his knee area. His hair is just like Antonio's, just somewhat drained of its emerald color, and a scar on his cheek. He also has a deeper scar between his right ear and his eye going down vertically. This wanted criminal is Maxine Dragone, Antonio's slightly older brother.

"So-" Max speaks with a grin across his face. "-heard you had a run in with my not-so-dead bro."


© 2020 Jeffrey J Dotson


Author's Note

Jeffrey J Dotson
NLB News = Norot Live Broadcast News

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on March 4, 2020
Last Updated on March 5, 2020
Tags: Action, Adventure, Drama

Sevendown


Author

Jeffrey J Dotson
Jeffrey J Dotson

Merritt Island, FL



About
A young man who's working on a story hes been planning out for some time now (Sevendown). Its grown, changed and evolved into something I think a lot of people might enjoy and I am PROUD to introduce .. more..

Writing