28th Exploit: Prelude to the Storm

28th Exploit: Prelude to the Storm

A Chapter by Jeffrey J Dotson
"

The day of the Infiltration is finally here, but before the protagonists go to attack the tower they visit Sarah to pay respects

"
28th Exploit: Prelude to the Storm

Clarice and Antonio look over the various objects Jason brought with him in the duffel bag. Most of it looks like utter junk in Clarices mind, and her look says as much as she turns her head to Jason.

"Mind telling me how any of this garbage will help us?" Clarice says bluntly, almost sounding annoyed. "What is that?" Clarice points at a circular ball of metal, then turns her finger to a stick of dynamite. "What is that for? Hmm?"

"What, you said Tony and I are distraction detail, and this stuffs good for that! That ball has a core of gunpowder in it that'll pop and send loud firecrackers and shrapnel everywhere." Jason raises his brow. "I'd hope the dynamite is pretty self explanatory though." Jason kneels down on the duffel bag. "Ive got some spark poppers and a crowbar in here too-"

"Utterly useless." Jason steps back and gasps. "Pipe bombs are too messy, and that dynamite is completely pointless. Did you even notice the hole on the bottom of it? Its gunpowder is most likely gone." Clarice places her hands on her hips. "And spark poppers? I had thought you'd serve that purpose with your latent ability."

"Yeah but, you guys..."

"I'm not using any of this junk." Clarice says as frankly as possible. "And we all ought to be strong enough to pry open whatever we might need to, the bar will only weigh us down." Clarice turns her head to Tony. "You have any use for this stuff?"

"Huh? Well-" Tony scratches the back of his head. "-I ain't plannin' on using any of it, but its still not as bad as the s**t I was hearing yesterday, eh Clarice?" Clarice shoots a calm but nasty look at Antonio. "We won't get into that mess again." Antonio says with a sigh. Jason looks at the two confused, but doesn't ask. Clarice kneels down and lays her hand on the duffel bag.

"I won't say you've wasted your time completely though. This bag might be of use."

"Yeah?" Jason gains a bit of enthusiasm.

"Indeed, I'm going in with a disguise for my 'interview', I can perhaps bring this with me for my actual change of clothes when you do your part, Jason." Jason nods his head.

"Well, that's something at least."

---

Bo walks into one of the break rooms in the Tai Tower. Its the first floor. This is a fairly large room, with about seven smaller circular tables, a large wall table on the back left of the room, a row of public lockers on the right side of the room, emergency exit next to the wall table and a row of fridges mid of the left wall. Right wall leads to restrooms and there's a small kitchen area from where Bo entered. He walks over to the water cooler next to the microwave but stops as he feels tension and aura coming from one of the middle tables. He looks over and sees a small crowd of Tai Corp associates surrounding two people. Jeht and Zorn glare eye to eye as Zorn's fighting spirit circles around his right  arm. Hes picking at his nostril with his free hand. Jeht's aura is a smooth rippling wave of energy shrouding the right side of his body.

"Oh great, they're at it again." Bo says as he fills a small Styrofoam cup with water. Jeht leers disappointingly up at Zorn. Meanwhile Zorn sneers down at Jeht. It's clear that these two have some history with each other.

"Your arrogance is going to lose you a tongue one day, you want to say that again?" Jeht practically hisses his words out.

"Yeah, I'll say it again! You only act big because the Vice President trains you personally! Wonder how much brown nosin' you had to do to make that happen anyways!" Zorn grins. "'Always going around preaching about how great 'sensai' is, as if you even matter to him. Hell look, why ain't you leavin' for Kurishia with the rest of the attack division eh? Guess old man Russ knew you'd just bother everyone with your stuffy nosed attitude, eh?!"

"Hmph. At least I was on the expedition at one point. I'm sure the reasons I was pulled are more complicated then what your small brain thinks. You weren't even considered, since you've chosen to be Clarks personal caretaker for the rest of your life." Jeht scorns Zorn. "How pathetic!"

"You wanna fight little pipsqueak?!" Jeht sighs long as he removes his hands from his pockets. Zorns eye is twitching.

"Thought you'd never ask-" 

Before the two can do anything their heads jolt to the entrance of the break room, as do several of the other TC associates. Bo, who is too distracted with the two bickering, walks right into the thigh of a large woman. He spills his water on her baggy yellow pants. Bo scurries back as he feels a nasty fighting spirit reeking from her. Its red and sharp, piercing through her in a jagged manner. The woman turns her head toward Bo, wearing a psychotic grin. She has a demonic mask that covers her head but not her nose and mouth. Its pinkish white with a crimson design around the eyes leading up to the two spike ends going backward, like horns. She seems to have the mask nailed into her cheek bones at four points. 

On her left hand is a gauntlet that has five 9 inch claw knives jutting out of the top finger area. Her right gauntlet is different, with three of the same knife claws going out of her pinkie, ring and thumb parts of the gauntlet, but binding her index and middle finger together is a massive, three foot blade. Most of her volatile  aura is focused on this blade. Her shirt has a sharp design on it and is generally the same color scheme as her mask. Its a bit short on her. Her pudgy belly pokes out from the bottom of it. The woman reeks of murder. This monster is The Great Beheader.

"Hee <3~!" Bo flinches as Beheader looks down on him. She casually pats the wet spot with the palm of her left gauntlet. "Nudge me like that again and I'll lop your useless bald head right off, short stack." Beheader looks over at Jeht and Zorn, almost giddy. Bo is practically shivering. "Those two head's look a lot more fun to cut!" Jeht adjusts his collar as Beheader approaches.

"This nasty woman..." Jeht says as Zorn takes a step back. Zorn looks like he almost want's to flee.

"Th-that's who Clark hired?!" Jehts head whips over to Zorn. 

"What?! Why!?!" Zorn rolls his eyes.

"Tighten security, dumb a*s! Since TaI's goin' of course he has to take most of us with him!" Zorn says with a hint of disrespect. Zorn points his thumb toward the back table. "He brought that piece of trash with us too. "Jeht irritably looks over at the table, as does everyone else. Sitting by himself, with his sword behind his back, is Onex. He seems to be enjoying a nap. Jeht is disgusted.

"That looks like street riff raff." Jeht groans in disappointment. "The remaining forces in the tower should be more then enough to stave off any fool willing to do anything. I am here." Zorn cringes. "More importantly, Sensai and that nasty Billy are here too."

"Hey, don't you talk s**t about Billy right after kissing Russes a*s AGAIN!" The two butt heads, meanwhile Beheader is already in front of Onex, a wide grin on her face.

"WOOOOOW!!!" Onex opens his eyes and rears back, hitting the middle of his back on the table and yelping. Beheader is practically nose to nose with Onex. "Either you're really good at hiding your fighting spirit or you're the weakest person this room <3~!"

"F-fighting spirit?!" Onex blurts out as he reaches back for his blade. He briefly remembers the spectacular feats he'd had seen with Antonio and Clarice. Beheader lets out a raspy laugh. Jeht aims a glare at the two.

"How obnoxious." Jeht shakes his head. Zorn almost agrees out loud but refuses to give Jeht the satisfaction.

"So-" Jeht and Zorn turn to Bo. "I suppose Zorn already knows, but I might as well fill in Jeht and our guests over there." Beheader giggles as she pats the frightened Onex on the head. She steps up to the three. She actually has an inch in height over Zorn. "Today, Tai and a good number of us are travelling to Kurishia for business related reasons. That in and of itself is nothing out of the norm, however one of our top executives has more or less 'invited' someone to start a mess, and there's a good chance this person is coming anytime between now and when Tai returns. The intruders intention will be focused on Clark Rweise." Zorns eye twitches and a smirk spreads on his face. Beheader licks her lips, Jeht sighs in apathy and Onex listens from where hes seated carefully. 

"I won't go into too much detail but, the connection between the potential intruder and Clark involves an incident with one of our members. Sufficed to say he won't be coming here for fun and games. He has friends, and they'll most likely come to help him too. This is why you were pulled from the trip, Jeht. Russ was pushing for Oliver too but Tai refused, he barely let you off the trip as is."

"Okay, but I still don't get why we have to bring outside trash like that idiot with the sword in or this foul thing." Jeht glances at Beheader, who simply giggles. "Again, I alone can and will subdue anyone foolish enough to step in here-"

"OH LOOK AT ME I`M INVINCIBLE!!!" Zorn laughs in outrage. "I WAS TRAINED BY 'SENSAI' SO I CAN TAKE ANYTHING!"

"B*****d..."

"Shut the f**k up!" Zorn  jams his thumb into his chest. "I'LL take care of it!"

"Hmph. You'll be standing next to Clark the whole time, babysitter."

"What was that?!?" Beheader quietly slinks away and starts to think out loud.

"'They' eh? More head's for the collection <3~?" Beheader smirks. "Ive got seventy three marks on my sash now... even adding two more will get me a nice seventy five."
 
---

Outside of the tower, high above on the 100th story, the executives have gathered in front of several  medium lift copters. Five Tai-Fox 07* copters all carrying a bunch of dangerous passengers and the main copter, a Bluston Cil* model painted black and has the TC logo on both sides, is awaiting Tai. Its door is open and we can see a couple of individuals, rather well hidden, inside. Standing next to the door and awaiting Tai is Vince Geist, the well composed head of the Defense Division. His hair is a shade of red and he has freckles only on the left side of his face. His attire is standard, but with a much better quality then the average TC associate and with a slight tint of blue. His tie is black with a white line down the middle. Behind him is his brother, Attack Divisions leader Edward Geist. His details are not visible, nor is Odin Demarcos, the 'Claw' of Tai Corp. 

Standing before the convoy of aircraft's are the four main executives of the Corporation. Vice President Grendel Russ, whose face is obscured in paper work. He stands massive compared to the others. Next to him is the Head of scientific and Engineering resources, and wearing his flashy red coat, Clark Rweise. His mind seems to be somewhere else rather then here, most likely thinking of Antonio. Next to him is a very slightly taller man. The head of Marketing and Employment, donning a plaid purple and silver suit, tie and pants. Hes a rather round man, obviously the type who enjoys his meals, and has a bald area around the front left of his head. His hair is black but going grey. This is Ole Runnels. He has a smile on his face. Finally, the head of Finance, donning a pea soup green suit. He's a rather sickly looking man, pale as a ghost and barely standing. This is Jim Jeyce.

Tai waves as he enters the Bluston. The doors close and it lifts off, followed by the other aircrafts. Ole waves and smiles while Jim violently coughs into his hand. Ole lets out a long sigh and smiles.

"Think the boss'll find what he's looking for this time?" Ole laughs heartily. Jim just grumbles.

"Don't care. Its all just a waste of our resources..." Jim Coughs. "Ugh, Kurishia... why do we have so many stores there, its a f*****g profitless hell hole." Jim sniffles. "Need my meds."

"Clark." Russ still looks over his paper work as he turns his back toward the open sky. "We need to discuss a few things." Russ begins to walk back to the wide automatic dome shaped doors as Clark slinks behind him.

"Y-yes sir." Ole and Jim can't help but notice how nervous and downtrodden Clark is. They watch him and Russ disappear into the tower before speaking.

"Wonder what's god ol' hot blood in the dumps." Jim clears his throat.

"Like I really care, but-" Jim coughs violently. Ole takes a cautious step away from him. "-Bet it has to do with that girl from the defense division. He's been acting quiet ever since that 'accident', he's never quiet unless he's in some kind of trouble with Tai  or Grendel." Jim smiles weakly. "Maybe he's finally going to get fired..."

"Hah! He'd have to try and kill the president himself to get fired! Without that little firecracker we wouldn't have half the income we have."

"He's been horrendous on the front of publicity. Has been since the beginning." "Jim coughs into his hand. "And at this point his well has run dry. What has he really invented after the S.U.N. Chips and that 100% bacteria killer anyways? Those were fantastic money makers, but now hes into experimental machines..." Jim shakes his head. "Right now he's costing us more then he's making us, so f**k him."

---

Antonio slowly opens the door to the ICU. He and the others are being escorted by the Central Norot hospitals security staff. There are several open rooms only covered by a blue curtain. Antonio and Jason are nervous, the former never being in a hospital before and the latter just having a bad taste for the atmosphere. Jace is taking it rather well, and Clarice is as stoic as usual. She has the duffel bag over her arm, obviously scanned before she was allowed to bring it in. Her blade is being held at the front desk. Antonio approaches the receptionist and nervously clears his throat before speaking.

"Uhh, we're here to see Sarah." The receptionist smiles.

"Miss Leoni or Mrs. Keifler?"

"Leoni." The receptionist nods.

"This way." The receptionist stands and leaves from behind her desk. She walks the group to the middle left of the ICU,  third from the wall. Tony, Jason and Clarice sense a presence in the room. The receptionist smiles. "She's had a bit of company today already."

"Yeah? Anyone shady?" The receptionist eyes Antonio and the others suspiciously.

"Now that you mention it-" Antonio grunts and takes a brisk step toward the curtain. "Hey wait a second." Antonio throws the curtain open. His glare sharpens as he stares down the barrel of an Act AoR Handgun*. The owner of the weapon is a man he has never seen before.

"So, are you some Tai Corp flunkie trying to finish the job?!" The man clicks his tongue on the roof of his mouth. He's wearing casual clothing, blue jeans and a black shirt. He's wearing a NNPD cap on his head, the bill pointing to the right.

"Finish the job?" The man looks disgusted. "I'm second Lieutenant Ardy of the NNPD, who in the hell are you and these people, and what business do you all have with my old partner?" Antonio raises his head up arrogantly.

"'Old Partner'? Ive known Sarah for a long time and Ive never seen her in any relationship with some weak looking punk. Who the f**k are you?" Ardy clicks his tongue again. His gun is still aimed at Antonio.

"I already told you, my name's Ardy. You- wait." Ardy looks Antonio up and down. He raises a brow and clicks his tongue as he lowers his gun. "Wait a sec. You're Antonio? Is that your name, Antonio?!"

"Yea, whose asking?" Ardy laughs nervously.

"Oh man! I'm sorry for the rude greeting! The names Ardy Dortanni! I was a trainee with Sarah over two years ago. When I saw the news about what happened to her I had to visit!" Ardy shakes his head. "Can't believe she just fell out of a place that high like that. She was always a wild one but damn-"

"You dumb a*s, she didn't fall out of that eyesore of a tower, she was pushed!" Ardy scratches the side of his cheek as he clicks his tongue again.

"Huh? Were you there for it?" Antonio looks at Ardy angrily. "Either way, Sarah told me a lot about you. Its nice to finally meet you!"


© 2020 Jeffrey J Dotson


Author's Note

Jeffrey J Dotson
Tai-Fox 07 = A medium sized helicopter intended to carry a decent amount of people. Its capacity is 12, not counting the pilot. Its design is loosely based on the AgustaWestland AW 101

Bluston Cil = A very expensive, very slick helicopter jet hybrid that generally holds six passengers, not including the pilot.
*Act AoR = North Norot Police Department issued 12 chamber revolver firearm
---
The Great Beheader - 6'7, 249, mid 40s
Vince Geist - 6'3, 221, 32
Grendel Russ - 7,8, 312, 42
Ole Runnels - 5'9, 248, 63
Jim Jeyce - 5'5, 102, 68
Ardy Dortanni - 6'1, 180, 21

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on July 30, 2020
Last Updated on July 30, 2020
Tags: Action, Adventure, Drama

Sevendown


Author

Jeffrey J Dotson
Jeffrey J Dotson

Merritt Island, FL



About
A young man who's working on a story hes been planning out for some time now (Sevendown). Its grown, changed and evolved into something I think a lot of people might enjoy and I am PROUD to introduce .. more..

Writing