Chapter 33

Chapter 33

A Chapter by BrynnaW.

                My gun was pulled from my grip as familiar hand hugged me tightly. Aiden… My anger was released through the tears that soaked his bulky camouflage shirt. Aiden pressed me to his chest as tight as he could before releasing me with my gun. I reached out for him but he was no longer there. The gun shots finally stopped and I felt entirely alone. As I trudged through the wind, my feet bumped several dead bodies, Believers and Disbelievers. Several hours passed by without a sound and my water was running low. There had been a well amongst the ruins of homes but I couldn’t bring myself to draw water from the pail after seeing a woman lying dead with her arm draped across the holed. Heat continued to burn my face as the start of night began to paint the sky.

                From on top of a building, I scanned the floor for movement with a night scope I had fixed onto my gun. Nothing… The floor remained what it had been the day I arrived, flooded with dead bodies. The dust settled down and the breeze causing my hair to kiss my cheeks became a blessing. It was getting late and closing my eyes for what felt like seconds turned out to be minutes. A faint static came from a device on my belt, signaling that I could return to the camp for the night. Cautiously, I walked toward camp while making sure that no one was following me. A star peeked out of the night sky. How can such a thing exist in desperate times like these? My heart yearned to gently hold the glowing object in my hands but it remained in the sky high above my head. At least I knew that there was some life out there. Stay safe, Mom and Dad, I called out to them in my head.

                I met my fellow army men and women at the rendezvous where a dozen jeeps dropped off others and we got picked up. None of my friends were in my jeep which also meant that I got no smiles. Shortly after arriving, Aiden, Evie, and Harriett found me. They each had sand crusted into the creases of their skin. We said nothing until we got to our tent and opened some cans of what-would-be our dinner. Sticky mash potatoes with gravy warmed the pit of my stomach along with beans and peach cobbler. I held a flimsy peach out for the others to see, only Aiden smiled.

                “They’re bound to kill us with one of these cans someday,” he said.

                “Don’t know if I’d rather that or a bullet,” I laughed quietly.

                Evie changed the subject, “A man died at my feet today. His hands reached out to me, asking for help… I killed him.” Her hands trembled but I spoke of nothing I had seen.

                “This war’s been screwing with my head… I don’t know whether I should be happy or upset that they are dying…” Harriett let her hand fall to her knee. I looked to Aiden.

                “Today, I got the most comforting and incredible hug,” his eyes stared into mines while Evie and Harriett studied him, confused. I shook my head, I’d let them think about it a little longer. I wiped my hands on my pants before announcing that I was going to get some shut eye. Aiden’s arms wrapped me into a hug as he asked if I was okay. I nodded slightly and let his fingers run through my tangled mess of hair. Unfortunately, I couldn’t stay awake, it was too relaxing. That night, I fell asleep in Aiden’s strong arms.



© 2012 BrynnaW.


Author's Note

BrynnaW.
Will edit when I finish this book. Be patient with me. :) Hope you are enjoying

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on April 28, 2012
Last Updated on April 28, 2012


Author

BrynnaW.
BrynnaW.

My New Home, OR



About
My name is Brynna Wynne Wiley. Aka: BrynnaW. I'm supposed to tell all about myself right here but... I've done that before. Now, it's just about the writing. more..

Writing
Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


Mute Mute

A Poem by BrynnaW.


The Circus The Circus

A Story by BrynnaW.