Chapter 1: Morning

Chapter 1: Morning

A Chapter by ~Dragon X
"

Waking up precisely one minute and thirty-seven seconds late, getting eggshells in breakfast and under-cooking it, on top of having a careless Master scolding you for being even slightly imperfect....

"

Felix learned to get up before his Master entered the room.  Master Rose was never merciful when it came to her pupil not getting up in the morning. Never. With this in mind, Felix frantically flung himself out of bed as soon as his eyes opened. Then he remembered his wounds. He moaned and bent over a little at the sudden pain shooting up from his chest, right arm, and legs, trying not to wince but failing. He waited for the pain to fade a little, then adjusted the bandages covering the areas the pain came from and changed out of his PJs into his worn training clothes provided by his Master. Felix sighed after he finished changing, and turned to the very fluffy white ferret that had curled up on Felix’s simple bed.  He stepped to it and nudged it a little. “Aarwing, up…..”

            The cottage was small, quaint, and homey. His room was rather tiny, and it had an old yet fluffy mattress on a bed and a beige-colored blanket that's been knitted back together several times on top.  The bed was in a corner next to a window with stained glass and even a single crack going in some sharp angles before finally stopping. The walls were kind of old and made of wood with slightly yellowed paint over them, and a burned out candle functioned as the light on the countertop by the bed. A dark green, wooly old rug was on the floor.

The big-eared ferret squeaked sleepily, stretched, and slowly unfurled its white, feathery wings. He then crawled over to the edge of the bed and leaped, gliding lazily and landing lazily on Felix’s left shoulder. Felix poked Aarwing again. “Come on Aarwing, we have to get going….” He nervously looked out the window to his room to see the sun beginning to rise. “Let’s go…like right now….” He hobbled speedily out of the small room, through a narrow hallway, and to the kitchen.

“Still one minute and thirty-seven seconds late…….” A dark brown-haired woman commented as she sat against one of the three wooden chairs in the kitchen, boots propped up on the dining table. She was clad in gleaming steel armor and her hair was left simple, going down to just past the shoulders.

Felix flinched at her comment.  “I’m so sorry, please forgive me Master…..eh….” He scrambled to the cabinets and pantry. “What would you like for breakfast?”

The Master ignored his apology. “Eggs are fine.”

Felix nodded and grabbed around six eggs, a bowl, and other utensils required as quickly as he could, doing his best to ignore the pain from his injuries.  The kitchen was a complete wreck. Pots, pans, dishes, and many other things poured over the sink; some laying on the oak wood floor, others strewn about the countertop. Some cabinet doors were left ajar, one or two missing a pair of hinges. There were all kinds of stains, scratches, and blemishes on the table and island, and the metal on the sink was beginning to rust. Even some laundry such as dirty socks were kicked off carelessly and left to rot on the floor.

Master Rose watched Felix intently from her chair. “Do you know why it is important for you to rise with the sun every day, no exceptions?”

Felix blinked and looked over his shoulder a little as he worked. “Um….you get more done in the day….?”

The Master smirked, and shook her head. “Demons are nocturnal. Humans are not. Which are you?”

Felix froze. He didn’t exactly know how to answer to this. “I…..I--I don’t…..”

“I’ll tell you this,” she interrupted, “you be whatever you want to be. Got it?”

Felix pursed his lips, then nodded, kind of hesitant. “O….Ok….”

The Master didn’t seem satisfied with this response. Nonetheless she changed the subject by asking, “How’s your arm?”

Felix looked down, then held up his right arm to get a good look at it. It was as hard as a rock, completely black and even a little claw-like in appearance. Bandages covered up a lot of it. This went all the way up to the shoulder, at which point it blended into his pale skin tone. “It looks fine….” Felix replied. “The cuts don’t hurt as much as before……”

The Master nodded. “You didn’t look underneath the bandages yet.”

Felix sighed. “Yes…I know.....” I don’t want to…. He carefully removed some of them anyways and looked underneath, where there were a couple of cuts that appeared as white, glowing cracks or crevices in Felix’s right arm. He winced slightly at it, then swallowed in an attempt to regain his composure. “It’s…getting better…” Felix observed while straightening his back to appear more confident in himself.

Master Rose raised an eyebrow skeptically, then flicked her wrist in dismissal of the observation. “Don’t burn the eggs again.”

Felix yelped and whirled back to his pan on the stove, returning his focus to the task at hand. He finished the eggs and hobbled to the table his Master had her boots propped up on and laid the pan on the table. He brought the cleanest pair of plates he could find and brought out the shiniest (although still dull) silverware he possibly could, leaving the best of course, for his Master. He gave to her the biggest portion of the eggs, and sprinkled salt and pepper for her before hesitantly sliding it to her.

Her eyes flickered to Felix, then to her plate. She picked up her fork and knife and took a bite out of her food. She chewed very slowly and carefully. After swallowing, she cut another little bite-size piece with her knife. “Open your mouth,” she instructed.

Felix blinked, but did so. What’s she…?

Master Rose lunged forward and stuffed Felix’s mouth with her piece of eggs.

“Bhf!?” He sputtered in shock, mouth suddenly full of breakfast.

“Chew.”

Felix looked at his Master in bewilderment, but chewed. He heard and felt something crunching in between his teeth, and some egg was still liquid.

“You carelessly left egg shells and it is undercooked,” Felix’s Master critiqued with narrowed eyes.

Felix forced himself to chew the rest of the egg and swallow it. He looked down in shame. “Sorry…I’m not good at it yet…”

Master Rose was silent, but she picked up her fork again and resumed eating the scrambled eggs on her plate. “Eat.”

Felix looked down on his plate. …I’m not…hungry…..

“Eat!” She barked, looking up.

Felix flinched, swiped up his fork, and proceeded to stuff himself.

Despite Felix’s attempts to eat as quickly as possible, he was still a slow eater and therefore his Master finished her portion a while before he did. In the space of time his Master finished to the time Felix finished, Master Rose stood, abandoning the table and dirty dish and silverware left on it, rinsed her hands, then went to adjust her heavy chain mail armor. Aarwing had been floating around the kitchen, being perfectly fine eating a fly or cricket that hid in the little dark corners. He didn't seem too concerned for Felix's health--after all, this was all just in a normal morning now....When Felix finished, he scooped up the plates, pan, and silverware, washed them and his hands, then stepped up to his Master who was observing herself in a mirror. “Are…are you ready, Master…?” He asked, nervous of her response.

She flipped her hair a little bit, then turned to him with her hands on her hips, a smirk spreading across her face. “Let’s continue your training, kid.”



© 2012 ~Dragon X


Author's Note

~Dragon X
First chapter! 8D Not too long....I hope....I personally had fun writing this...^^'...I enjoy writing all of these characters...If you seem too confused and you find the story difficult to follow or something, let me know! o.o Because this is my first time trying this thing out.....

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sadly I am unable to finish reading this right now but I am really excited for this ferret with wings thing. Why didn't I see that a ferret with wings is the greatest thing ever? Anyway its intriguing to see a rather modern take on fantasy with a classic feel. Well that about wraps up my rant.

Posted 10 Years Ago


EEEEP!
Demons. Butlers. Masters. Ferrets. The name Felix. This could not get any better.
I'm adoring it! It's awesome. *next chapter!*

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jasmine Thousand

11 Years Ago

It's really no problem at all! XD I really enjoyed it. Post chap. 4 soon!!! O.O
~Dragon X

11 Years Ago

Hahahaha, I'm working on it ^^' If I have enough free time, it should be done by this evening, but i.. read more
Jasmine Thousand

11 Years Ago

EEEEP!!! o.o Just post it soon!! XD
Curse me. I should've read this before I read your other one. Darn me.

Moving on............

I started to read this chapter and fell in love with it only on the 2nd paragraph. Or the first word XDXD. Magnificent Dragon! Love it!


Posted 11 Years Ago


HOW ON EARTH DID I MISS THIS WONDERFUL PIECE?

Seriously, though...Dragon, taking the story through this perspective is really great. The reader then gets curious about the 'before' so to say, and what is there to come later.
You did an awesome job with this first chapter, little ninja. I can't wait to read on!


(and don't be afraid to come smack me if I fail to review any of your wonderful works XD)

100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a good begining. I love the details you put into this first chapter. You've made me curious about Felix and his backstory, along with what he is training for. It's writen very well, and easy to read and follow. I can't wait to see more of this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sounds interesting! Good foundation, leaving us with questions already, and the ending provided a small cliffhanger.

Some suggestions: Instead of describing the room after saying "Aarwing up," you should describe it before... maybe as he's putting his clothes on or something like that. Then put in 'Aarwing up." (Btw, love the name Aarwing.)

Secondly, Master Rose doesn't sound like the type to say "kid." Perhaps "child" would work better?

But this really was good. Ms. Rose has a distinct personality...kinda like an anime tsundere. She appears really tough, but is somewhat loving and caring on the inside as shown from her questioning how Felix's injuries were feeling.

Anyways, I've bored you enough with this review, so carry on chap! Hurry up and put up the next chapter! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


~Dragon X

11 Years Ago

I honestly didn't expect this to be reviewed by anyone for a while...^^' Boring? XD It's the other w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: Demon, paladin, fantasy, light, dark, magic, darkness


Author

~Dragon X
~Dragon X

Riding Dragons, OH



About
hi I'm basically a ghost here now I show up once in a blue moon I'm all over this nifty lil place called wattpad now, but my writing still sucks so don't go there body, a, a:hover { cursor:url.. more..

Writing
The Reason The Reason

A Poem by ~Dragon X



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..