Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster

Five Months Later 

Thanksgiving was in a few days so I was off school for the next week. Over the last five months, I had spent time with the Belikovs getting to know my foster parents and their children as well as helping out around the house and with the children. It was a nice place and they were all nice to me, but despite Dimitri's best efforts I just couldn’t get over the things my father had done to me and the thoughts that he had put into my head. I was worthless and ugly, and my mother’s death was all my fault. 

I hated my father for the things that he had done to me, but in a way it made me feel like I was paying for what I had done. Without him, I had no way to do that and slowly slipped into depression, worse than I ever had. I barely ate or slept and became the type of person who stayed in bed all day. I barely talked to Alex anymore much less even went to her house. My grades slowly slipped until I was averaging D’s, just enough to pass. Even worse, my father still hadn’t been caught, so I was constantly looking around my shoulder. The police had all but giving up, deeming him too far gone to catch by now. But today, everything's changed. 

School got out early today for the start of Thanksgiving vacation and Dimitri had some very important news for me when I got home. I had someone interested in adopting me. 

They were going to come the day after Thanksgiving to talk to me and make a final decision. But for now, I was given the job of helping Dimitri shop for the Thanksgiving feast while his wife, Tonya, my foster mom, watched the children. 

After throwing on a random t-shirt, pants, and socks, I brushed my hair and headed downstairs to let Dimitri know that I was ready to go. I found him in the kitchen with Tonya finishing the list. 

“Dimitri, I’m ready to go whenever.” 

With a quick nod from him, I walked into the living room where little five-year-old Lily sat with her big and strong protective older brother, Oliver, right next to her. Plopping down on the other side of Lily I quickly reached out to her and tickled her sides. Cute but loud giggles erupted from her mouth as she tried to push my hands away. 

“Stop it! Stop it Sera!” she yelled at me, though I could tell she really didn’t want me to. When it seemed like she was running out of breath I pulled my hands away and she inhaled air like her brother inhales food. I let out a small laugh before pulling her onto my lap. 

“So, what’s my Lily-pad doing?” She giggled at the nickname I had given her before pointing to the screen. 

“I’m watching Rapunzel!!” I smiled at her excitement before turning to Oliver who sat with his arms crossed and a stern look on his face as he stared straight ahead. 

“Why so serious Olly?” Without turning his head or looking at me he replied. 

“Papa told me to watch over Lily while he talked with Mama.” 

“Oh, well you’re doing a wonderful job. Always watch over her, okay?” I saw his gaze flick over to his little sister, who still sat in my lap intently watching the screen, before looking forward again. 

“I will.” 

Suddenly a knock came from the direction of the kitchen and there stood Dimitri with his shoes and jacket on, ready to go. With a quick nod of his head, I set Lily back down on the couch and headed over towards the door to put my shoes and jacket on. 

Once we were outside, I let my fake smile drop into the frown I always wore, unless the kids were around, that is. Immediately I heard a sad sigh come from my left but I ignored it. 

Quickly hopping into the car we headed to the store. It took no more than two minutes before we were at the store and parking. Walking in I grabbed a cart and pulled one out for Dimitri as well. I saw the length of that list, we would need two carts. 

“Alright,” Dimitri said, handing me the list, “you’ll be in charge of making sure we get everything.” I simply nodded, following Dimitri over to the first section, produce. 

It took over two hours but finally, we were heading towards the checkout with both carts filled to the brim. Dimitri picked a random register and pulled in. He said hello to the cashier politely before placing stuff onto the belt. I started helping him before he looked up at me and pointed to the list. 

“Take a moment and make sure that we got everything. If we’re missing something Tonya will freak out. She’s always obsessed over making sure dinner is perfect.” I pulled the list out of my pocket and went down item by item and checking them off mentally, Dimitri forgot the pen. 

“Shoot! We didn’t get the ice cream. What kind did you want? I’ll go get it.” 

“Just the plain stuff, Vanilla and Chocolate.” 

I turned around and speed-walked towards the freezer section, berating myself for missing something. I can’t even do something as simple as making sure we have everything on a list. I really am useless. 

Reaching the freezer section I turned into the aisle with the ice cream and started scanning the flavors. I quickly found the vanilla but couldn’t see the chocolate. Then I saw the cotton candy ice cream. 


Flashback: 2 Years Ago 

“Alright, Sera. The only thing we need now is the ice cream for the ice cream sandwiches we wanted to make.” 

“Okay, Mom.” We walked down the aisle until we reached the specific brand we liked. 

“What flavor do you want?” I had the answer already in the back of my mind, but I was preoccupied with the new flavor sitting on the shelf. 

“Sera?” 

I turned to my mom before pointing at the cotton candy ice cream through the glass doors. “I want this kind for my birthday mom!” 

She laughed before looking at me. My mom really was beautiful. My hair looked the same as hers, I was always proud of it and everyone seemed to like it. 

“Sera, you're birthday is still six months away. We’ll worry about that later.” A pout appeared on my face, not wanting to wait for my birthday to come around. 

“Now, which flavor did you want?” 


Present 

I was snapped by reality by a nearby freezer door falling closed. I looked down at my thick black hair, still thinking it was beautiful, but now believing that it was wasted on someone like me. A tear rolled down my face before I wiped it away. 

Finally, I spotted the chocolate and headed back to Dimitri who was almost done with our order. I set the ice cream down on the belt, catching Dimitri’s attention. With one look at me, his smile quickly turned into a frown. He reached forward and I instinctively flinched. Immediately Dimitri's face fell further and I mentally slapped myself, now feeling even worse. He reached forward again, this time I forced myself to stay still, and he wiped an unseen tear from my cheek. 

“What happened?” he asked sadly. 

“Nothing.”



© 2019 GraceFullbuster


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on October 28, 2019
Last Updated on October 28, 2019


Author

GraceFullbuster
GraceFullbuster

PA



About
Hi! My name's Grace! I love writing and am currently in college with a major in creative writing. I'm looking for feedback and people to help me edit my stores before I post them on Wattpad. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster