Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster

In the morning, I sleepily got ready for my first day of school. I was really nervous. I wasn’t good at making friends. I was quiet and for obvious reasons, I had trust problems. I wasn’t outgoing and I didn’t do any extra activities. I didn’t have any friends at my old school besides Alex and she was only my friend because our parents were. As kids, we were forced to spend a lot of time together and we just grew to be friends. 

Tessa made chocolate chip pancakes for all of us because she knew it was my favorite breakfast food and James drove me to school so I wouldn’t have to ride the bus. 

Before I got out he put a hand on my shoulder and despite my efforts I flinched. He looked shocked but didn’t ask any questions. Of the few days I spent with them, neither of them have tried to touch me in any way. Still, he didn’t pull back his hand and let it rest on my shoulder. He probably thought he was comforting. 

“Listen, Sera. Try not to be nervous. I’m sure you’ll make a couple of friends. In the short while that I’ve known you, I know you're a great person and I’m sure everyone will see it. Just, give this a try and if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to talk to me. Okay?” 

I listened to James during his little pep talk and tried to believe what he was saying, but I knew it was too good to be true. I nodded anyway. 

“Great. Now, the principal told me that you need to go to the office to get your schedule and someone would be with you all day to help you with your classes. Good luck.” 

With that, he gave me a smile and took his hand off of my shoulder. I opened the door and grabbed my book bag before shutting the car door and walking to the entrance. The closer I got, the more my heart sped up. I was not ready for this. Several times, I almost turned around, but everyone was looking at me. I was officially the new girl. 

Taking a deep breath I finally reached the doors and opened one, walking in. To the right was the office so I opened the door and walked in. There as a lady in her early thirties sitting in a chair behind the desk. She looked nice enough. 

“How can I help you, dear?” 

“Um, my name’s Sera Allen,” I said, using my new last name for the first time, “I’m the new student?” 

Immediately, she smiled, “Ah! Well, I’m Mrs. McClair, the secretary. It’s very nice to meet you, Sera. Let me get your schedule.” 

Before I had a chance to say anything she was up out of her seat and heading down a hallway behind her. A minute later, she appeared with my schedule in her hand and handed it to me. Thanking her, I took it from her and looked at it. 


Academic Geometry 

College Prep English 9 

Spanish 1 

Study Hall 

Lunch 

Earth Space Science 

Study Hall 

American History 1 

Physical Education 


It was almost the same schedule form my last school, which means I shouldn’t be too far behind if at all. 

“So, Mason has the exact same schedule as you and he will be showing you around so you don’t get lost. He should be here any minute.” 

“Thank you.” 

“You’re welcome.” 

I continued to look at my schedule trying to memorize it, and then the door opened. Looking up, I was met with who I hoped would turn out to be Mason. He was about half a foot taller than me so I had to look up a little to see him. And despite the rather plain style his dark brown hair was, it really looked good on him. And then I noticed his smile. He had perfectly straight white teeth which he proudly showed off as he smiled at me. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a grey jacket which he looked so good in. 

“Hi,” he said, “Are you Sera?” I smiled back at him and nodded. 

“Yeah, that’s me.” He smiled again casually sliding his hands into his pockets. 

“Great. I’m Mason, I’ll make sure you won’t get lost.” Pulling one of his hands out of his pocket he motioned to follow him and I did without a word. I followed him through the halls, neither of us speaking, partly because I was trying to remember where we were going and the other part not knowing what to say. 

Once we made it to what I guessed was homeroom he walked straight in and sat down with a group of guys who were probably his friends. However, I wasn’t so lucky. 

The teacher stopped me at the front of the class before I could slip into an empty seat. She quickly introduced herself as Mrs. Heather and suggested I introduce myself to the class. The class grew quiet allowing me to speak, unfortunately giving me all their attention. I took a deep breath before speaking nervously. 

“Hi, um, I’m Sera, I just moved here a couple of days ago.” I let out the breath I was holding in, thanking God that I was able to get through that without embarrassing myself. Praying that I wouldn’t trip, I made my way to the only empty seat that was in the back. One that happened to be right next to Mason. 

Mrs. Heather started class after taking attendance and she handed me the textbook that I would need. Luckily for me the class started off right where my last one had ended and I was able to keep up easily. 

The rest of class passed pretty quickly, not a single person acknowledged me, and then Mason was leading me to our next class. He nodded at people as we passed them, letting me know that he was well-liked by a lot of people, however, I didn’t think he was one of the popular people, just well-liked. 

The day carried on much like that, but then the nightmare of lunch came along. I hadn’t talked to a single person all day, besides my small interaction with Mason in the morning. Where was I going to sit? 

So, with my heart beating rapidly, I followed Mason down to the cafeteria. As soon as we made it, he left me to go sit with his friends, leaving me completely alone. I followed the nearest people to a line to get my food and watched people as they got their food ahead of me. It was a small comfort to know that the cafeteria worked just like I was used to. I quickly grabbed a slice of pizza and a water and made my way to pay for it. 

As I was waiting for the people ahead of me to pay, I heard people come up behind me. They were talking and I tried not to listen. I didn’t want to eavesdrop. However, my curiosity got the best of me and I immediately regretted it. 

“Hey, look,” one of the girls spoke, “it’s the new girl. I heard she doesn’t talk.” Despite my best efforts, my whole body instantly tensed. I heard a giggle come from another girl before she spoke. 

“Maybe she’s mute.” More laughs followed and I bit my lip to stop tears from flooding my eyes. My father’s words rang through my head. Stupid. Ugly. Useless. 

I felt my hands start to shake as the last person in front of me walked away. Quickly handing the lunch lady my two dollars she smiled at me and motioned that I was good to go. I turned and began walking to the tables only to stop. My breathing increased slightly, so afraid of making a fool out of myself. 

I couldn’t sit with the jocks, I was in no way athletic. I couldn’t sit with the music kids because I didn’t have a single musical bone in my body. I mean, sure, I loved listening to music. Who doesn’t? But I couldn’t sing, play an instrument, or read music. There was no way I could sit with them. I couldn’t sit with the nerds. I mean, I was smart but I wasn’t an A student. I definitely wasn’t goth so that was out of the question. 

I couldn’t exactly stand in the middle of the floor forever, so I just took a seat at one of the empty tables and pulled out a book. I had a feeling that they would be my only friend for a while. 

The rest of the day only got worse. 

Everywhere I went, I heard people speak of the mute girl, but I was too scared to say anything. I knew for sure that my first-period classmates remembered me introducing myself this morning, but not a single one of them said a word against the rumor, not even Mason. And I was too scared of making a fool of myself to say any different. Laughs followed my every move, some people even asking how stupid I had to be to not know how to talk. 

By the end of the day, I was barely keeping tears at bay. 

Once the final bell rang, I raced out of the door along with the rest of the kids. The tears I was barely keeping back flooded my eyes as I raced out the door. But as soon as I exited the building I stopped. James was waiting for me, he wanted to pick me up after my first day. I couldn’t let him see me like this. I know he said I could talk to him, but I didn’t want to put my problems on him. So I quickly wiped my eyes, took a deep breath, and walked the rest of the way to his car. Hopping in, he looked over and smiled at me. 

“Hey, Sera! How was your first day?” I knew he was really asking if I made any friends so I answered him in what I hoped was a believable tone. 

“It was actually good. I think I even managed to make a few friends.” His smile grew so large I didn’t think it was possible. 

“That’s great!” 

He pulled out of the parking lot and we made the five-minute drive home in silence. Once we got there I quickly jumped out of the car, needing some alone time. I headed into the door hoping to walk right up to my room, but Tessa stopped me, telling me that I could have whatever snack I wanted. I thanked her and headed up to my room, closing the door and locking it, before letting the tears fall freely. 

I spent the rest of the day binge-watching Arrow and crying. I cried about my mom, my dad, the things he did to me, the things he said to me, what happened at school, and my life in general. 

When it came time for dinner, James knocked on my door. His voice was very gentle as he told me that Tessa had made pizza. I just as softly thanked him but explained that I wasn’t hungry. It was obvious in his voice that he didn’t believe me, but left me alone anyway. 

Fifteen minutes later I heard his heavy footsteps stop in front of my door. But instead of knocking, a pack of pop tarts slid under my door and a chocolate bar followed. Without waiting for a reply of any kind, his footsteps retreated back down the hall. Once they were gone, I got up and grabbed the two items with gratefulness, my eyes suddenly dry and a small smile on my face.  



© 2019 GraceFullbuster


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on October 28, 2019
Last Updated on October 28, 2019


Author

GraceFullbuster
GraceFullbuster

PA



About
Hi! My name's Grace! I love writing and am currently in college with a major in creative writing. I'm looking for feedback and people to help me edit my stores before I post them on Wattpad. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by GraceFullbuster