2

2

A Chapter by JC Fox

 

Lena stood outside of the rundown bar; she shuddered and stared in disgust at the rows of pick-ups and motorcycles that parked out front. The paint was peeling exposing gray boards underneath the yellow, curled paint. Neon signs advertising beer and dancing girls every night glowed in the blacked out windows. A rusty sign hung on the roof, which was falling apart; Last Chance was the name of the bar.  The wind blew the stench of garbage and beer across the street where Lena and Tripp waited. She looked up at the sky and stared at the stars; she started shaking and refused to break down in front of Tripp. He already thought she was weak why give him proof that he thinks he was right. The night was warm and balmy; the crickets were drowned out by the occasional semi passing through. She looked towards the woods surrounding Last Chance and knew somewhere out there were some of their snipers waiting in case things went wrong.

            “Ok Lee you go in order a few drinks and get what we need then get out, I’m not in the mood to come hauling you out of there.” His voice was soft but she knew he meant business, “Also if you can’t make a deal then don’t be a hero and blow your cover. Momma Van Bastian is tending bar tonight and when baby boy finds a new plaything she’ll have him distract you while she slips something in your drink. When you get the distraction don’t drink anything, if you have to we’ll pull you out before it gets too dangerous.” He checked his radio and made sure the back ups could hear everything as well.

            “Tripp if you get me out of this alive I swear I will change partners and you can work alone.” She turned to stare at him and his eyes glowed with a ferocity she never saw before, “Don’t let anything happen to me, for the love of god, and don’t let him get to me.” She grabbed her purse and headed towards the screen door of Last Chance. How ironic it could be her last chance to back out and let someone else do it. She could feel eyes on her but knew if she turned around there would be no one there in the shadows. Tripp would have left already and taken his position. Ok Lee you can do it just suck it up be sexy, seduce the scumbag and do your job. Tripp may not like you but he does have your back and has never let you down before, there are agents in the woods and local police are on standby. You have the browning strapped to the inside of your thigh, and if all else fails you can use your shoe as a weapon. She psyched herself up and tried to calm her breathing as she walked into the smoke filled bar. She waited a minute for her eyes to become adjusted to the smoke and dim light. Lena adjusted the bustier and smoothed her skirt down; she looked around her and noticed she was over dressed. The bar was filled with sweaty men in flannel and doughy looking women in daisy dukes with hair that would not move in a hurricane. She surveyed the area and noticed a few tables to her left and right, the bar was in front of her, behind the bar was a room for storage and a pool table and in the back left corner were the restrooms. The smell of beer, sweat, smoke, and cheap perfume over whelmed her and she felt sick to her stomach. Lena made her way to the bar and sat down on a stool, she looked around again to see if she can find Bobby and saw him coming from the back room with two women wearing bikini tops and hot pants. They were skinny and spaced out looking, they must be the entertainment and he must have just got done having some fun and shooting some dope. The man was skinny and grimy; he had stubble growing on his yellowed skin. His eyes were watery and bloodshot, he smiled at the one girl and she giggled then walked towards the restrooms. He was wearing stained overalls and a white shirt that looked as dirty and grimy as he did. His hair was blonde and gray but stuck up out of his head in clumps, Lena could smell alcohol, sex, and body odor when he walked near her.

            “What will it be?” a hoarse voice barked at her from behind the stained wood of the bar, Lena saw an older woman with dyed ash blonde hair, and excessive tanning made her skin look like leather. One of her eyes was brown and the other seemed to be made of glass, the woman looked like she used Dutch boy instead of Revlon for her makeup, instead of making her look 20 years younger it had the opposite effect. The woman smiled at her and Lena smiled as the smell of rotting teeth and vodka assailed her nose. The woman’s saggy breasts were visible behind her leather halter-top, the woman looked like she belonged in formaldehyde, not working at a bar. This must be Momma Van Bastian, kind of disappointing that this wreck of a woman runs one of the major drug circles in the country. “Lady you’re awfully fancy to be in here, are you lost? Or do you just don’t understand.”

            Lena smiled and took some money out of her bustier and the old woman’s eyes lit up, it was as if Christmas came early and she ended up with a stocking full of methamphetamine and heroin. “I’m sorry but my car broke down and it’s been one of those days. I would like rum and coke and a shot of tequila.” The woman smiled and turned to get the drinks, she slapped down a dirty shot glass of watered down tequila and a glass of rum and coke, the glass had smudges on it and looked like it wasn’t washed in ages. The air in the bar was thick and gritty and Lena could feel her skin crawl with the filth. She downed the shot and took a sip of the rum and coke; the old lady behind the bar smiled and went to serve someone else. Lena wiped her hand on her skirt, and wished she could just get out of here and shower. Several drunken men walked past her and whistled at her, she just smiled and raised her glass of rum and coke which now had the shot of tequila in it.

            “Well sugar you’re mighty pretty we don’t see city folks in here often. Are you one of them working women?” the hag was back and breathing her rancid breath all over Lena again she put on her best bimbo act and smiled sweetly at the old woman extending her hand.

            “Why that’s just the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. My name is Candy Parks, I work at the hospital as a night nurse, and the pay isn’t all that great but the perks with the doctors are wonderful.” She winked at the lady and the old woman smiled back.

            “I told my son as soon as you walked in the door you were one of them fancy city women, he likes women like you. You’re prettier than most that come in here though. The name’s Tracy Van Bastian, if you need anything little darling you just give me a holla.” The woman went around to the other side of the bar and Lena watched her. The woman was sad, she had rolls of cellulite that hung out of the side of her halter-top and her leather pants were three sizes too small for her cellulite packed thighs and buttocks. Lena almost felt sorry for the woman and then was distracted by movement in the back of the room. Bobby was watching her and talking to a few of his hairy biker friends. She smiled at him and raised her drink in a silent greeting and took a sip, he smiled and did the same.

            “I see my son already found you, that there is Bobby, he’s my only child and he’s a good boy. He likes pretty girls and he would like you.” She walked away again and Lena put her drink back on the bar, she was starting to sweat and the heat in the bar was closing in on her, the country music droned on, normally she would be singing along to Billy Ray Cyrus’s Achy Breaky Heart but tonight she wanted to crawl out of her skin. A tap on her shoulder and the smell of sweat made her spin around and come face to face with Bobby. He stood there and scratched his chest then eyed Lena, looking her up and down. Lena felt violated after he undressed her with his eyes, he moved closer to her and she could feel the grease and grime on his overalls as they brushed on her leg. She adjusted herself on the stool so that her breasts were more visible and her legs were not touching his clothes. A voice in her ear warned her that this was the time when Momma Van Bastian will spike her drink. Lena smiled and then licked her lips; she fanned herself then extended her hand to Bobby. He was pressed up against her leg and she could feel how excited he was to be seeing her, this maybe easier than she thought. He leaned close to her and set his mug of beer on the bar, she was overwhelmed by his stench. She turned her head to the side and looked at him and then winked.

            “Well hello there handsome and who may you be?” she purred when she spoke and stared right into his watery pinpoint eyes. He was high she knew that but not to the point where he was dangerous and stupid.

            “My name is Bobby Van Bastian, and who are you cupcake?” he sat down on the stool next to her and out of the corner of her eye she saw his momma leave and wink at her baby boy. Lena cursed the nasty old bag and said to herself that this time the old bat won’t get what she wants for her stupid boy. “You looked parched baby why don’t you have a drink?” he pushed his hand further up her skirt and she prayed he wouldn’t feel find the gun. Lena smiled and removed his hand and put it on her breast.

            “Well Bobby Van Bastian, my name is Candy Parks, I was just telling the nice lady here that my car broke down and it has been one of those days.” She grabbed Bobby’s beer and pushed her drink towards Bobby, something flickered in his eyes and she knew this could turn bad real quick. “Cheers Bobby Van Bastian to handsome men and a night full of fun.” She raised the mug and clinked it with his and watched as he downed the whole drink. Lena smiled and then applauded. He let out a whoop and holler and then grabbed her from the barstool. Lena almost stumbled again and regained her balance, he started bumping and grinding up against her back and she plastered a smile on her face and danced with him.

            “Candy Parks you sure look like you can be a lot of fun, if you know what I mean.” Then he wrapped himself around her and started kneading her breasts, she felt his lips on her neck and his moist breath in her ear. “Baby you smell good I wonder if you taste as good as you smell” he rubbed his erection against the back of Lena’s dress and she had enough so she slipped out from his arms and laughed. She noticed Momma Van Bastian looking at her with narrowed eyes.

            “Bobby Van Bastian you’re going to break this city girl’s heart with you charm!” She blew him a kiss and winked at him again. She had a million thoughts running through her head and one of them was the kiss earlier with Tripp. Having him rub on her would be ten times better than having this grease ball rubbing his c**k all over her back. She smiled and did a twirl then made her way towards the pool table.

            “Lena you’re treading on dangerous territory, something doesn’t feel right. I’m coming in to get you.” Tripp’s voice echoed through her head and she felt it too, it was too late to back out now. Lena beckoned Bobby to the pool table and he came like a puppy comes for a treat. She grabbed the front of his overalls and pressed herself against him.

            “I’m a wagering kind of gal, what do you say we have a little fun with playing pool. If I win I name the terms, I haven’t quite gotten my fix tonight.” She grabbed his bulging crotch and he moaned.

             “If you win baby, I’m all yours and you can do what you like.” She bent over the pool table showing her a*s to him. She heard him intake his breath and she smiled and winked at him again. “I am as sweet as my name and I taste just like a fresh, juicy peach.” She leaned into him and rubbed her lips against his moistened lips and then kissed him. She tasted booze, bile and something foul she would rather not think about. Lena pulled away from him and stared at him.     “Well Bobby Van Bastian what’s your decision? Are you game?” She saw the predatory glint in his eye and knew he was game.

            Tripp watched Lena on his screen and growled, what the hell was she doing? Didn’t she know that she was playing with fire and that if Bobby struck he may not be able to get to her in time? Tripp kicked himself for being such a prick earlier and stalked the shadows cast by the woods. If he didn’t say such an asinine thing she wouldn’t be acting like a rookie.

            “Lena I know you heard me but this doesn’t feel right I’m coming in.” he threw his jacket on and clicked the safety off on his gun.

            “Tripp we’re not moving yet stand down, local police are 15 minutes out we can’t bust them without local backup.” Tripp stared at the woods behind Last Chance and flipped them off; he knew they would be able to see that gesture. “Tripp stand down do not make a move we’re not ready yet.” Tripp’s gut was twisting and felt like he swallowed razor blades. He can be such an a*s sometimes and he really had no reason to take it out on her. He thought back to the kiss and felt a cold sweat break out on his skin. Tripp you idiot why did you kiss her? You don’t even like her but you do something stupid like kiss her. Stupid Tripp, he muttered under his breath and stared at his watch. It’s been half an hour and she should have at least been out with a deal.

            His cell phone rang and he reached for it, the id was blocked and he answered it, there are only a few people that will call him and he had a good idea who it was.

            “Tripp, what do you want.”

            “I know you’re anxious to get to Little Red Riding Hood, but don’t worry, grandma and the big bad wolf won’t hurt her much, just have a little fun with her.” Tripp gritted his teeth and clenched the phone.

            “Who is this? What the f**k do you want? I swear if you do anything to her I will personally hunt you down and skin you myself.” There was laughter on the other end of the phone.

            “Don’t worry hunter, we know who she is but we’re not going to hurt her much. Big Bad Wolf has a surprise for Little Red Riding Hood.” There was a pause and Tripp felt his blood turn to ice. “Little Red Riding Hood is going to realize her biggest fear tonight.” The line went dead and Tripp threw the phone into the woods.

            “DAMN IT! Sergeant I know you hear me I’m moving in something isn’t right and Agent Caine is in trouble. You either back me up or you don’t” Tripp stepped out of the shadows and pulled the hat down over his head. He didn’t hate Lee as much as she believed but he knew she didn’t deserve what these sick b******s had in store for her. Tripp didn’t want for a response he heard sirens in the distant; let’s hope they got here in time.

            Lena heard the screaming in her ear piece and tried to ignore it, she knew Tripp was just being paranoid and there was no way she was going to pull out of the operation early. She bent over and slapped some more money down on the table. There was already a pile of cash on the table and despite feeling the effects of whatever was in her drink he stilled played well. She watched as he sank his three ball into the side pocket. She pulled a ten-dollar bill from her bustier and slapped it on the bar. His eyes were glassy and unfocused and there was drool coming out of his mouth. She smiled and winked at him and waved Momma Van Bastian over. The old lady looked livid and looked from Lena to her son.

            “What can I do for you doll?” She was wiping her hands on her pants.

            “I’d like some change for a ten spot honey, make it singles too Bobby and I are thinking of having a lot of fun later.” The woman snatched the bill out of Lena’s fingers and went to make changed, Lena looked back toward the pool table and Bobby had vanished.

            “Here’s your change princess and he’s expecting you in the back room.” She squinted at Lena and made a disgusted sound. “I think I was wrong about you. You’re too smooth city girl and you would do best to just turn around and leave now.”

            “Thanks sugar but I promised Bobby a good time if I lost and well looks like I lost.” She grabbed the money and went to sit it on the table. There were packages of hypodermic needles on the table where the money was. There was a commotion at the front door but she figured it was just some random bikers fighting. She opened the door to the back room and waited for her eyes to adjust. A light glowed to her right marking the exit, which was where she had to go if things went wrong.

            “Bobby darling I think I lost the game, time for me to pay up.” She slowly made her way towards the back trying to stick to the wall; there were shelves of boxes and kegs of beer, if she had to make a run for it she may have to lose the heels. “Bobby? Where are you?” there was heavy breathing at the end of the room, she headed toward there and felt fear knotting her stomach. She made it to the last row of shelves and she peered around. Bobby had a tourniquet on his arm, the rubber was held in his teeth and sweat glistened on his skin, he tapped a vein and stabbed a needle into a spot on his arm. He turned towards Lena and she knew she was in trouble. He let go of the tourniquet and smiled wickedly and started moving towards her.

            “I’m sorry my mistake, maybe we can take a rain check on the debt.” She started backing up and knew s**t had hit the fan. “I’m just going to see if AAA came to tow my car and head back to the hospital for next shift.” She took off towards the door and ran out into the alleyway. She knew snipers were in the woods if they see her running hopefully they would take a shot. There was heavy breathing and footfalls behind her. S**t she needed to get to Tripp, where the hell was he?

            “You’re not going anywhere Little Red Riding Hood.” Bobby came up behind her and put her in a chokehold. He ripped her wig off and hissed, “I thought it was you, well Little Red Riding Hood, I’m going to pay you back for what you did to my sister.” Lena’s eyes widened and she lifted her foot and brought it down hard on Bobby’s foot, she scrambled away as he howled in pain, she tried to grab her gun but Bobby tackled her from behind. He spun her around and was standing over her. His eyes were wide and specks of foam formed at the corner of his mouth. Where the hell were the snipers? She tried to kick at him but he pinned her.

            “That wasn’t nice Red; you shouldn’t hurt people like that. Doing that just made me mad.” He raised his fist and pain radiated the side of her face. He was digging in his pocket and grabbed the needle he had stuck in his arm. Lena tried to scream but he had his arm across her throat. She started seeing black and then felt a sharp jab in her arm and something burning in her veins. She fought harder and wriggled free to find the needle in her arm and Bobby looking at her with a look of pure hatred and glee on his face. She screamed and saw red, Lena ripped the needle out of her arm and flew at Bobby and stabbed him in the eye with the needle. He howled and grabbed at his eye. She kicked off her heels and reached for her gun.

            “You dirty son of a b***h you shouldn’t have done that.” She pulled the trigger and managed to get six shots off before he closed on her again and stabbed her in the arm again with another needle.

            “That’s for my sister Red, may you rot in hell.” He tightened his grip around her throat and she felt herself slipping into blackness. The last thing she saw before darkness came was Tripp standing there pointing a gun at her, she reached out towards him but then everything disappeared.



© 2008 JC Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ummmm, nothing helpful, but (in a sing-song voice) I know what happens. LOL. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008


Author

JC Fox
JC Fox

NJ



About
CHECK OUT THIS CONTEST, IF YOU'RE INTO WRITING CHILDREN'S STORIES THEN ENTER HERE! Our Children Are PreciousFeb 4, 2008 - Jul 4, 2008 I'm a free spirit but unfortunately some people on here have tri.. more..

Writing