7

7

A Chapter by JC Fox

 

Lena opened her eyes and saw Tripp staring down at her; at least she thought this was real. She tried to talk but her throat was sore and scratchy. There were strange beeping sounds surrounding her and her eyes felt like someone poured sand into them. There was no disconnected white billowy mass around her so this must be real. She tried speaking again but her throat burned like her eyes. Tripp wasn’t looking at her now and was leaving the room, there was someone else there with them but she couldn’t see who. They were gone and Lena lay in bed staring at the ceiling, her arms felt like someone stuck fishhooks in them and her head hurt even worse. Her stomach churned and she could feel its contents bubbling, she turned her head then puked over the side of the bed. She tried lifting her arm to hit the call button, but her arms felt like lead and burned. What the hell happened to me she thought to herself, she moved her fingers and was able to maneuver them enough to grasp one of the tubes coming from her wrist. It would hurt like hell but at least it might get someone’s attention, she yanked on the tube and alarms starting buzzing around her, she felt hot liquid running down her wrist and darkness coming to her instead of the blinding white light.

            Tripp and Vivian heard the machines sending alarms to the nurses’ station and Vivian automatically started to run in to see what happened. Tripp placed his hand on her arm and shook his head. He was fearful now because of Vincent not because of what happened in that room just now.

            “She’s ok, I woke her up. She probably couldn’t reach her call button so she manipulated the machines somehow.” He looked towards the room and hoped he was right, “Come on Vivian let the doctors do their job we need to get ready and get out of here.” Reluctantly Vivian rolled him back to his room and he tried to figure out what the next move should be.

            “What cover are we going under? People are going to question us, I would rather have a story than try to make one up on the spot.” He closed his eyes as a wave of dizziness overcame him and he choked down bile. “So just give it to me straight and then I’ll worry about telling Lee when the effects of the drugs have worn off. She is going to be ok right? No,” he felt his stomach churn again and he took a deep breath. “She doesn’t haven’t anything wrong with her health wise right?” He wanted to lie down and just let the feeling of dizziness and wanting to vomit pass.

            “As far as we know she is going to be ok, she’ll have to get frequent blood tests to check for AIDS and hepatitis but as far as we know she was very lucky. Bobby’s mom may be a dirty pusher, but she does try and make sure her son remains healthy and disease free. So that is our only saving grace, but you know things change.” She sat in a chair and rubbed her temples, “As far as your cover goes, well how do I say this but you’re going to have to spend a little more time than you have been with Lee and well you may have to maintain certain appearances.” She smoothed her hair and stared at him. “Biesel is sending us to Canada, I’m not going to be in the picture too much and if I am around I’m the visiting mother. You and Lena are to act like a couple that has just gotten engaged. I know Van Bastian will probably be hot on our trail so as much as you dislike the idea you have to pretend to be in love with Lee and she with you while you guys are in the public eye.” She looked at Tripp and there was no response, “Did you hear me?”

            “I heard you, and it won’t be that hard I’m going to be a better person and if it means saving our lives and keeping us out of Vincent’s hands I’ll do it. It’s just convincing Lee to accept it, I said some s****y things to her and she may not be as forgiving.” He laid his head back and a pounding started in his head he groaned and winced as he raised his arms to rub his temples. “Right now I want to sleep, how long before it is go time?”

            “Four hours at least I have to run to head quarters and pack stuff, Biesel will have your things and Lena’s packed.” She came over and helped Tripp onto the bed; he closed his eyes and drifted off to oblivion.  Vivian hit the lights and went out into the hall; things have just taken a trip to the twilight zone. Maybe it was the drugs causing him to be so compliant with the new assignment. She shook her head and took off down the hall where Ally was signing them out of the hospital. It was exhausting to be on the run, but eventually it is going to have to settle down, at least she hoped it would.

            Tracy was startled out of her stupor by the sound of approaching footsteps; she started out of sleep and was trying to orient herself with her surroundings. She blinked her eyes and cursed herself for taking that Xanax. She turned her head and looked up to see a shadow standing over her. The shadow bent toward her and she flinched in her chair, then grabbed her remote and threw it at the shadowy figure.

            “Ouch momma you really need to get some glasses if you can’t see me.” Vincent bent down and laid a kiss on the woman’s forehead and she smiled. “You smell like cheap booze, sweat and blood.” He walked with the grace of a panther and sat down on the ground in front of her. She liked looking at Vincent he was a psychotic killer but very easy on the eyes. His hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail, it was a rich mahogany brown and he had blonde streaks in it. The hair was long enough for a ponytail but some of it was short and framed his face. His eyes were the same rich brown as his hair, when he looked at you it was as if he was staring into your soul. His lineage was unknown but he had a healthy tan to his skin and the stubble growing on his face just made him even more appealing. His body was well muscled and despite being an avid partygoer he had six pack abs. She was always in awe over him, he looked like a bum sometimes but he was always able to pull off the ratty jeans and black nail polish look. She extended her hand to have him help her up and he took it and hugged her. He always smelled good too, like wood and spices.

            “You’re a sight for sore eyes my dear, let’s go to the den and talk. I need to check on Bobby and make sure he is ok first.” She led him towards the hallway and stopped to look at him, “What were you doing before you came here? I don’t want any loose ends to have to tie up.” He smirked at her and then shrugged in his boyish way, which always sped up her libido.

            “Little of this and that momma, nothing to worry about I always tie up my loose ends.” He walked past her and headed towards the den, “I know where I’m going so I’ll meet you there.” She watched him go and shivered, then headed towards the infirmary. When she reached the infirmary door everything was quiet.

            “He’s fine and we were able to remove the bullet but there may be some damage to his nerves and his brain but time will tell. We’re not out of the woods yet he is very unstable and we could loose him.” The doctor was wiping his hands on a rag and looked grim. “I’ll stay for a few days and have my wife bring my things over and the nurse is on call in case something happens all we have now is to wait and see.” Then he disappeared down the hall towards the guest wing, Tracy wrapped her arms around herself and sobbed. She was running out of children to spare to the likes of the agency. She made her way towards the den and tried not to think of the negative and think of the positive. Tracy pushed open the door and saw Vincent lounging in the chair like a lazy cat he was walking a coin across his knuckles and had a bored look on his face.

            “Sorry that took so long Bobby is still in touch and go condition but we’re pulling for him.” She sat down across from Vincent and he continued to stare into nothing and walk the coin across his knuckles.

            “So I’m here to take care of who did this to Bobby?” He snatched the coin in his hand blew on it and then opened his hands in front of Tracy. “Like that coin, just give me the information I need, and I will make the person or persons disappear.” He snapped his fingers and the coin reappeared in his fingers and he handed it to Tracy. She took it and pulled out a manila envelope and handed it to him.

            “I don’t know how you do that but that is pretty much how I want you to handle it. My intelligence tells me that the agency is aware of whom you are but they have no idea what you look like. You know you may have to change your appearance, would that be a problem?” she reached under her chair for a briefcase and waited for him to flip through the envelope.

            “I know who he is, let’s just say there is no love lost between us, but I doubt Tripp will recognize me it’s been several years. Actually the last time I ever had contact with him we were teenagers.” He examined papers and the information that was gathered on the two people, he let the papers pile on the table beside his chair. “She is new though, kind of cute if you ask me, she doesn’t look like she would be too hard to handle.” He smirked and chuckled, “if you don’t mind I’d like to have a bit of fun with her.” He looked at Tracy and smiled innocently then raised his eyebrows as he stared at the briefcase.

            “Yes well I don’t give a damn what you do with her as long as she ends up out of the picture like Tripp.” She handed the briefcase to him, “this has everything you need for Canada, money, cards, passport, intel on where they will be so on and so forth. I trust you to take as much time as possible to get the job done and not draw the attention of the agency.” He pawed through the briefcase then tossed the envelope and papers in it. He stood up and stretched then saluted Tracy Van Bastian and left the room.

            Vincent settled into one of the rooms to fully go through his briefcase, he looked at the passport and laughed. He was now going to be Brandon James Thomason; well it could have been worse. He looked at himself in the mirror and decided to keep the look he was sporting. Tripp wouldn’t recognize him and even if he did, then he would just have to finish Tripp off first. Vincent looked at the picture of Lena Caine again and grinned, she was going to be a lot of fun, the intelligence stated that the Caine and Tripp were thrown together and they didn’t really get a long. But momma’s personal notes stated something that our golden boy may have a hard on for his partner and it might be a bit harder than he thought to create a rift between them. Vincent laughed again and lifted his shirt up and stared at himself in the mirror, well he could lure her with his looks and if that didn’t work then he was oozing charm.

            “Well Brandon it’s time for us to hop on a plane and head to the great white north eh.” He laughed again and then snapped the suitcase shut and walked out of the room singing to himself, “It’s really quite pleasant except for the smell mama we’re all going to hell.” It was a good thing he listened to My Chemical Romance that would be the one thing to lure the girl to him.

            Vivian and Ally made their way back to headquarters to pick up the necessities for the trip to Canada. It was getting down to the wire and time was running out, the doctors said they would do all that they could to prepare Lena and Tripp for the plane ride. They would meet a physician in Canada who will be tending their wounds and Vivian just hoped no one would question their injuries. Lena’s injuries were not as bad as Tripp’s although it may take her awhile to get over the effects of the dope in her system. Tripp will take a little more time; the doctors were expecting them to be fully functional within a month. There was no way to keep them from going in public they had to maintain the guise that they were an engaged couple living in their dream home in Canada.



© 2008 JC Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Damn, now I have to double-check to make sure that I haven't already read it. Crap....remind me not to try blond again..or at least to take something to help me sleep through the night. LOL! Nice chapter.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008


Author

JC Fox
JC Fox

NJ



About
CHECK OUT THIS CONTEST, IF YOU'RE INTO WRITING CHILDREN'S STORIES THEN ENTER HERE! Our Children Are PreciousFeb 4, 2008 - Jul 4, 2008 I'm a free spirit but unfortunately some people on here have tri.. more..

Writing