6

6

A Chapter by JC Fox

 

Vivian was walking down the hall when she heard the disturbance and she backed into Lena’s room. A woman came running past her and then security chased after her.  Vivian shook her head and closed the door behind her. Whatever was going on it wasn’t anything new for the hospital. She walked out into the morning light and inhaled; she flipped on her phone and found there was a voice mail. She shrugged again and headed towards her car. It was too early for work but maybe she should check the voice mail and see what was going on. She punched in the number and waited while she was connected and the woman she saw earlier was running towards her car. Vivian furrowed her brows and squinted at the woman, she looked familiar now where did she see her before. A light bulb went on in Vivian’s head and as the woman came running towards her car Vivian opened the door and the woman slammed into it. The woman slammed down to the ground and Vivian got out of the car.

            “Melody, I didn’t think they let you out of jail yet?” Vivian closed her door and stepped on the woman’s hand and the lady cried out. “Oh I’m sorry dear did I hurt you?” Vivian ground her heel onto the woman’s hand and the lady screamed in pain. “You may want to get that checked out I think it may be broken.” The security guards came up and stared at Vivian and then helped the woman up.

            “Do you know this woman ma’am?” the one guard was about fifty pounds overweight and sweating profusely. Vivian wrinkled her nose in disgust as he heaved and the smell of sweat wafted towards her.

            “Yes I do know her and I think you should handcuff her or wait for the real police to come.” She pushed past the fat man and his bewildered partner then spit on the woman groaning and crying. “When the real police get here they know how to reach me just tell them Vivian knows who this trash really is.” She made her way back to the car then pressed the button for voicemail once more.

 

            Ally wheeled Tripp down the hall and into Lena’s room. She watched his face soften and something sparked in his eyes. She smiled to herself recognizing that look, that’s how George looks at her. She rolled him to the bedside and then put the brakes on so he didn’t roll off. She squeezed his shoulder and he tensed up.

            “Ok Casanova I’m going to track down Vivian and grab something to eat. I’ll be back in an hour and I’ll make sure the nurses won’t bother you.” She winked at him and closed the door behind her. Tripp listened for the door and then turned to make sure no one was around. He let out a breath he didn’t even realize he was holding and then put his head in his hands. He started sobbing and couldn’t stop.

            “I didn’t mean what I said; honestly if you can hear me where ever you are you need to come back.” He grabbed her hand and it was cold to the touch, he rubbed it between his hands to warm it up. “The agency needs you Lena; I don’t mean what I say about you being a horrible agent. I need you, I like working with you. Come back to me if you want I’ll trade partners and you can work alone, just come back.” He thought he saw her eyes move but he knew he was hallucinating. He sat there in the stillness of the hospital room surrounded by machines to help heal but they didn’t seem to be working fast enough. He listened to the beeping and whoosh sound of some other machine. He tried to brush the hair away from her eyes but winced as the pain cut through his haze of painkillers. He settled for staring at her face, he never noticed the birthmark on the side of her face or how high her cheekbones were. Then something hit him; she was always listening to Pearl Jam and My Chemical Romance. She would sing along and normally she could hold a tune sometimes it just sounded awful but he would watch her while she’d sing her heart out when she thought no one was watching. He looked to make sure no one was watching him and sighed.

            “I swear if anyone walks in I’m going to hurt them,” he looked at the comatose girl and smirked, “and if you wake up I won’t let you forget how I woke you up!” He started humming trying to find the right tune. He gritted his teeth and cleared his throat.

            “I’m doing this for you and this is the last thing I actually heard you singing to, so here we go just for you Pearl Jam’s Last Kiss, now let’s hope you wake up.” He cleared his throat and looked around again, he squeezed the still hand and then started singing softly “hold me darling just a little while, I held her close and I kissed our last kiss, I found the love I knew I had missed, now she’s gone even though I hold her tight,” he took a breath “I lost my love my life that night, Oh where oh where can my baby be the lord took her away from me, she’s gone to heaven so I have to be good so I can see my baby when I leave this world.” He sang the rest of the verses again and waited for a response. He closed his eyes and fought back tears, he wasn’t the world’s best singer but he was hoping for some kind of response. He sighed and looked at the face again, “OK I will start singing My Chemical Romance if you want but I really don’t want to if I don’t have to. It’s bad enough I feel weird singing that sappy Pearl Jam song you like.” He blinked his eyes again and chewed on his lip, no response. “I’ll do it; I’ll do anything for you, even though I won’t admit to it. I’ll deny any of this happened but since it is you and me kid I’ll do it for you.” He looked up at the ceiling cursing to himself and when he looked down she was staring at him and smiling.

            “It’s ok I forgive you and don’t worry it will be our little secret. Thanks.” She smiled at him and he felt something lurch in his stomach. He thought it may have been a side effect to the pain medication and squeezed the hand. Everything will be ok now, he thought as he felt the hand squeeze back. I’m going to change and be nicer to her, she didn’t deserve this, and he lifted the hand to his lips and laid a kiss on it.

            Vivian listened to her voicemail and felt the blood drain from her body. She pushed the button to replay the message, hopefully she heard wrong. The air in the car became stifling and suddenly the sun wasn’t as bright and the sky wasn’t a clear blue. It seemed like the world became a sickening parallel universe. She snapped the phone shut and hurried back into the hospital, she needed to tell Tripp about the new assignment and start working on the proper paper work to get them out of the hospital. She heard sirens in the distance and hoped it was the police, if they were coming to take away Melody then maybe they could shed some light on whether Vincent was back in town or not. Vivian ran down the hall towards Lena’s room to check on her then saw Ally sitting outside of the room with her pressed up against the door. Vivian nearly slid into the shorter woman, Ally saw Vivian running toward her like a bat out of hell and held up a hand to try and keep the woman from barging in. Ally put her ear back to the door and smirked then motioned for Vivian to follow her to the family room. They sat down and Ally shook her head still smiling.

            “They make these chairs so uncomfortable for the ample figured person.” She situated her bulk the best she can. Vivian was white as the walls in the room, “Vivi darling what’s wrong you’re as pale as a sheet!”

            “Vincent has been dispatched; he is coming here to Baltimore to find Tripp and Lena. Biesel wants me to send them to Canada immediately, I have to go with them and that means you and Sumyi need to hold down the fort.” Vivian choked back some tears and then looked at Ally, “why were you smiling like the cat in the cream back there?” Ally looked stunned and then shook her head to clear her thoughts and readjusted herself in the chair.

            “Oh our boy was in the room trying to wake up Lee and he was singing.” She started laughing at the other woman’s expression. “You need to promise not to say anything though I wasn’t even supposed to be listening but I just can’t help myself sometimes.” She smiled sheepishly then furrowed her forehead again.

            “That is interesting but we need to go and tell him and then get them ready to leave.” Ally put a hand on the other woman’s arm and shrugged.

            “You tell him I’ll go handle the paper work and try to set up everything. I trust Biesel has a plane on standby and whatever else is needed for the trip?” Vivian nodded and the two women departed. Vivian walked back to the room and felt awkward, she really didn’t want to disturb Tripp if he was trying to wake the girl up but this wasn’t something that could just wait either. She sucked it up and tried to put on her calm game face, Lena might be comatose but she can still hear what’s going on. Vivian knocked again and heard someone mumble come in, she pushed the door open and saw Tripp with his eyes plastered to the girl’s face and he sniffling.

            “I thought you said we had an hour Ally?” He seemed distant and irritated that he was disturbed.

            “I’m sorry Tripp but I need to talk to you, I’ll roll you out into the hallway and back to your room so you can relax.” She saw him tense up and then looked at the girl, her color was a bit better maybe they gave her something else to help with her state.

            “Whatever you have to say you can say right here, we’re partners and we’re all family in the agency.” He squeezed the girl’s hand again and Vivian could see his demeanor has changed, she knew she wasn’t going to win this argument.

            “Fine Tripp have it your way, we’re heading out tonight, leaving for Canada things have gone from bad to worse.” She couldn’t read his face and she didn’t dare get any closer to him but his chest started heaving. “We need to go on assignment elsewhere but it will be simple until you two heal. Vincent has been dispatched by the Van Bastian family.”

            “Fine roll me out of here and let’s get ready, tell the doctor’s Lee is awake, but I don’t want her knowing what is fully going on until we’re out of the States.”

            Sumyi looked at the unconscious man lying at her feet and kicked him with disgust, in all her years she has been with intelligence she has never had someone crack like this. Sure they pissed themselves, and sometimes even grew hard when being tortured. This guy just disgusted her though. She drew up a syringe and injected it into his veins, he twitched like a fish out of water, and she looked around the dirty room and rolled her eyes. There had to be somewhere better for her talents. She threw down the knives and let them lay in the filthy water pooling around her feet. She really didn’t need to torture the man; she knew what the answers were to the questions being asked. She sniffed and pushed her hair out of her face, the room reeked of piss, s**t and stagnant water. The walls were covered in grime and blood; she extended a hand and examined a crimson fingernail. She bent down to check the pulse on the man’s neck; she dug her nails into the tender flesh and felt it yield under her nails. She smiled, as there was no pulse and licked the sweat off her nails. She would just have to make something up to tell the old fart in charge. She kicked the man in the head and brought her heel down on his skull. It caved and cracked with a sickening sound.



© 2008 JC Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, here comes the bad girl. Really don't like her, guess that's why she's the bad girl. LOL.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008


Author

JC Fox
JC Fox

NJ



About
CHECK OUT THIS CONTEST, IF YOU'RE INTO WRITING CHILDREN'S STORIES THEN ENTER HERE! Our Children Are PreciousFeb 4, 2008 - Jul 4, 2008 I'm a free spirit but unfortunately some people on here have tri.. more..

Writing