Chapter One: The Lair

Chapter One: The Lair

A Chapter by Kari

Within a week Saber was packed and ready for the move to Ragnor’s lair.  His gold embossed trunks sitting at the doorway to the royal quarters were ready to be transported over the mountain.  His many servants with all their parts and parcels were standing at attention.  His broad shoulders were draped with a cloak made of the rarest of winter ermine pelts and his personal chef stood eager in the wings.  Saber only awaited permission from his mother, the Queen, to take his leave.  The night before he had sang and drank till the wee hours with his castle cronies. They’d cheered him on while envying him at the same time.  It wasn’t as if he were going far, in fact he would return to the castle almost daily to continue his royal duties, chase the female servants and swig ale with the palace guards.  Riiiight.

            “You’ve got to be kidding me, Saber.”  Dana spoke with humor as she entered the anteroom.

            “Is there something funny, Mother?”  Saber asked as she started to laugh quietly.

            “When was the last time you visited Darna and Ragnor, dear?”  Dana smiled at her son.

            “Several decades ago.  I haven’t had occasion to visit, or the inclination actually, since she is so frequent a visitor here.  It must have been, what, twenty, fifty, eighty years ago?”  Saber counted out.  “Who knows?  Time flies.”

            “And when you were there did you have a chance to look about the place?”  Dana could barely contain her laughter, speaking slowly like to an elderly dragon with dementia.

            “Well I guess I really haven’t toured the entire place, but the main quarters were large enough, if provincial.  What is it, Mother?  It’s a lair, I know and no palace, but I believe I’ve had the servants prepare me for every circumstance.  I have extra bedding as I wouldn’t prefer to use another’s and I have adequate staff to ensure my comfort.  I’m even taking my own chef.  I will have to requisition wine and ale but on the whole I believe I’m ready.”  Saber drew himself up to his full height and took a step towards the exit. 

            “I’m sorry dear, the legalities have already been formalized and there’s no turning back now.”  Dana commiserated.

            “What?  I’m not turning away from this, I am ready, can you not see?”  Saber asked confused.

            “Darling, there’s no room for your servants.  All of them are to stay here and will be given new duties within the castle.  Your chef will also remain in the castles kitchens, as will most of this baggage remain in your rooms here.  Is that a bathing tub?  Ragnor’s lair is too small for your entourage and I’m sure most of your baggage will remain unused over there including the tub and any other items along those lines.  Therefore I see no purpose in them going with you.  I’m sorry if this comes as a surprise but it is how it must be.”  Dana laid a comforting hand on Sabers arm.

            “Well, I guess I hadn’t considered that.  No matter, I’m sure I will get along fine with the servants they have and the accommodations available.  Is there a problem with me bringing my own personal bedding and comfort items?”  Saber was determined to make the best of it.

            “As long as those “comfort items” don’t include any of the castle females, dear.”  Dana teased.

            “Very well, Mother, I’m off.  See you tomorrow or the day after.”  Saber made a bow to the Queen.

            “No dear, you’ll need to settle and establish yourself properly if this is going to work.  A part time job, this is not.  Do not worry, you will find your way and I will visit as necessary.”  Dana patted Sabers check as she swept by him.

            “Okaaay…um, I’ll see you then Mother.” He said as the doors closed.  Sabers brow knit in furrows as he considered all the little things he was giving up for this situation to work.  What exactly was he gaining?  What exactly had he given himself up for?  Saber squared his shoulders as he looked upon all his piles of unnecessary goods and began barking orders for things to be put aside and servants to seek out the head housekeeper for new positions.

            Saber elected to fly to the top of Ragnor’s mountain where the lair’s entrance was.  It was a perfect morning for flying.  The skies bright blue, very little breeze and the sun just beginning to warm the air.  Ragnor’s lair rested at an outcropping of rock just one hundred feet from the crest of the mountain.  There was a large flat area at the entrance partially concealed by the surrounding rock.  From below on the forest floor in wasn’t visible and from the skies above, you had to know just where to look to see the opening to a possible cave.  Ragnor had lived here safely hidden from outsiders for two thousand years.  He was not a social dragon, to say the least.  Scattered through the forest along the river’s edge, ghastly skulls of all different species of forest animal, dragon and human alike were placed upon pikes twenty feet tall.  A warning that no one and nothing was welcome beyond the river’s edge.  High atop the mountain there was a large iron cauldron filled with oil to be lit in the event that the castle needed to be sent an alarm.              Saber navigated the peaks of the mountain from the castle rounding from the west and with a great flap of his wings he hovered and landed right on the open rock at the entrance.  No one seemed to be about and no sounds came from within, yet he knew he was expected this morning.  Entering another dragons lair unannounced was NOT recommended.  Especially a dragon of such fearsome history as Ragnor.  Saber stood and waited for a full five minutes before his natural impatience and pride took hold.  He was no messenger to stand waiting for notice or beggar at the kitchen door waiting for a scrap.  He was “Prince of the Realm” and a servant or Darna should have greeted him as he landed.

            Saber walked into the darkness and paused as his eyes adjusted.  It wasn’t actually dark inside, but just exceptionally bright outside.  The entrance opened up to an large rough cave with rock walls and stalactites reaching from the ceiling twenty feet above to almost the middle area of the room.  It was obvious that the stalactites were a type of room divider because on the far side another opening was deeper in the shadows and on that side there was a large wooden table with a golden candelabra lit with long tapered candles.  A small buffet was laid out, mostly cheeses and bits of meats and beside it were jewel encrusted goblets made of the same gold.  A small cask of wine was set near the goblets.  Nearest him on this side of the rock formations there was a sitting area and a roughly chiseled, yet enormous, fire place.  Soft pelts were tossed upon the floor and large pillows covered in the same furs were strewn about for lounging.  Low tables bracketed the area with more gold and candles.

            Along the nearest wall to him, way in the back, another opening could be seen.  The entrance was even brighter than the room Saber was in now and curiosity demanded he step forward.  Through the entrance was a small cavern with smooth walls of white stone and a large opening in the ceiling.  It reached all the way through the mountain top and the sunlight from outside beamed in through the opening.  There seemed to be some type of grating or lattice work about midway up the circular tube of rock, preventing birds and small animals from entering.  The room was modestly appointed with a small area for sleeping pelts hidden behind hanging draperies from the ceiling above.  There was also sconces of gleaming silver staked into the walls every few feet filled with burning oil.  Standing in the corner, almost unnoticed until it was too late, Saber spied the ancient armor of a warrior dragon complete with skull cap and battle axe.  The drapery shifted and fluttered letting the light spark against the tempered steel making it come alive and move toward Saber.

            Saber crouched and prepared for attack.  He had no weapon and had never actually been in battle but he had trained for centuries with Ryan and knew how to protect himself.  His warriors body alert and slightly trembling in anticipation was so focused on the dragon in the armor that he never heard the soft approach from behind.

            “You’re dead.”  Came a deep voice from behind him.  Saber whirled and struck out his right arm in a high arc intending to swipe his claws across the unknowns throat.  Instead, in the blink of an eye, he was looking up from the floor and seeing the light catch on the dust mites stirred up from his resounding thud.

            “Ha!  Too slow!  I still got it!”  Saber heard from above and to the left.  He looked over into the wide cackling mouth of an ancient Cave Dweller dragon.  The dragon was almost eight feet tall and four legged with the tri-folded wings of generations long lost.  His tail was eight feet long with a grouping of sharp foot long spikes on the tip.  From the nape of his neck to the tip of his tail were blades of bone sharpened into triangular points.  The dragons skull was broader at the neck and sloped to a narrow pointed snout, again in the triangular shape similar to desert vipers.  The mouth was wide and had long double rows of fangs that were fully visible curving forward.  The eyes were set deep in his skull, small but fierce and very, very old.  There was a pronounced stoop to the shoulders and his neck was long, curving almost five feet from skull to back.  Ancient Druid and Norse runes were tattooed along every visible piece of flesh on his wings and the symbol for victory was carved into his forehead right below his lethal ivory horns.  In the shadows of the doorway it was obvious that this was the dragon that the armor was made for.

            “My Lord, you have indeed bested me again, seems I landed in a similar fashion eighty years ago.  You’d think I’d remember.”  Saber added under his breath. 

            “I hear you just fine, youngling, and you’re right, you should have remembered or at the least, checked your flank.  Who’s been training you?  That fop, Ryan?  Never could trust a Berzerker to teach a warrior the best way to stay alive, course that’s why I killed so many of them over the years.”  Ragnor bantered.

            “Uncle, it is good to see you.  You have also bested the Grim Reaper, I see, and made it to your five thousandth birthing day.  Congratulations!”  Saber reached up and clasped Ragnor’s hand as he was pulled from the floor.  That was all it took for Saber to realize how fragile and invalid his uncle had become.  Ragnor had not visited the castle when Saber was about for almost a century and the past eighty years since Saber had visited here at Ragnor’s seemed to have sapped every ounce of vitality and strength from him.  Ragnor was now old, older than Saber expected, regardless of his advanced years.  This was why Saber was here in the lair of his uncle, the great warrior dragon, Ragnor.  It was time or nearly so and with a sad heart Saber swung his arm over the old dragon and they returned to the eating area.

            “There you are!  I was so hoping to meet you at the entryway, but I see Ragnor has met you properly, good, good, good.  Come eat I’ve set out a nice snack.”  Darna wrapped her arms around Saber and bustled him along as older females are known to do to their young.          

            “Yes Aunt, Ragnor has greeted me properly.”  Saber shared a smile with Ragnor. 

            They chatted about castle gossip and the past years Season’s as they snacked and caught up.  The day seemed to fly by and the shadows started to lengthen with the onset of late afternoon.  No one had interrupted them and Saber had yet to see his cousin, Torch.  Saber’s memories of Torch were of a solid two legged dragon with a dusky brownish orange hide and a golden yellow breastplate.  They had never socialized but it was well known that he was simple minded and unfit to carry on after Ragnor’s passing…which is the reason Saber was there in the first place.

            “Well dear, I guess you’d like to rest a while and look there, poor Ragnor has nodded right off.”  Darna smiled sadly towards the resting male.  “This is the longest he has been up for almost a month.  I’m sure it’s because of you Saber.”

            “I guess I could get settled for the evening and then we could discuss the particulars later.”  Saber suggested.

            “That’s not for me to say, dear.  When he’s ready, Ragnor will do what is necessary, but I’m afraid at this point, we must wait on him.”  Darna smiled up at Saber.  “Now let’s get you to your sleeping area.”

            Saber followed Darna through the one doorway he hadn’t explored yet and he found himself in an open airy servant area used for everything from cooking to keeping accounts it appeared.  There was a larder and a large roasting fire pit, preparation tables, various trays and utensils on shelving built into the rock walls, large cauldrons, knives and hanging from the ceiling were slabs of fish being dried with salt.  Across the room there was a delicate desk with a tall wooden cupboard above holding all types and sizes of parchments, different colored ribbons, what looked like a record book bound in soft animal hide and a quill with a pot of dark liquid beside it.  Oddly, there were no servants bustling about, preparing the evening meal, doing odd chores, whatever servants do that keep them busy.  Saber wonders about that but perhaps they are at worship or in another part of the lair.  Directly through the room another doorway opened up to more of the lair.

            A small narrow corridor branched into two different directions and Darna led Saber to the right.  This seemed to travel right along the back side of the very first room he had entered, the stalactite room.  A few feet down the corridor an opening appeared.       

            “Now I know this isn’t what you are used to, I was Queen once and I lived at the castle for fifteen hundred years before life-mating Ragnor, so I will understand your hesitation.  However, I have seen fit to remove myself from this chamber so that you may have it.  It is the biggest and the most private.”  Darna stepped to the side and revealed a deep narrow room with high rock walls and ceiling.

            There was no natural light this far into the mountain but the room was lit with the same silver sconces and burning oil he had seen in the front rooms.  There were tapestries hung along the walls between sconces and thick pelts had been sewn together to create a large area rug across most of the rock floor.  A large dais set against the far wall with drapery hanging around it was obviously the bedding area.  There were artisan crafted wardrobes and cabinetry along opposite walls for additional pelts, pillows, maybe to store personal items or possibly even the chamber pot, he assumed.  Unfortunately, there was no way Saber was going to let his aunt give up her own space for him when he really had no idea what this whole situation was going to entail in the first place.  It may very well turn out that he could live at the castle and visit and such as needed.  There was no reason his aunt needed to move from her room.  Saber could just as easily use another area.

            “I’m sorry Darna, but this won’t do.  I will not have you moved about and that is my final word. I am sure I can be just fine somewhere else for the time being.”  Saber bowed deeply to her.  Besides, his mother would skin him alive if he allowed this to happen.

            “Well Saber, dear, I’m afraid there’s no other space suitable for you.  Torch has a small chamber right off this room, and the only other area large enough for a grown dragon of your size to sleep would be the storage room off the kitchen.”  Darna’s distress was evident in the wringing of her hands, her manicured claws clicking in the silence.

            “A storage area? Ok, it will have to do then, right?”  Saber smiled down at her trying to be reassuring but inside his head a screaming little voice was beginning to give him a head ache.  What the X’phis had he agreed to?  It’s only a few nights, he could do this. 

            “Let’s go, shall we?”  He moved aside so that Darna could once again lead the way.  At the split in the corridor they went along the path not taken before.  It became pitch black as they traveled deeper into the mountain.  There were no glowing silver sconces along this corridor and it became disorientating quickly.  Suddenly Saber bumped into Darna in the dark.

            “There is a slight bend here to the left and then I’ll light the oil.  I’m sorry, I didn’t even think to bring a candle because I thought you would be in my room.”  Darna said quietly.

            “It’s fine Darna, I’ll remember to bring one along on my return.”  Saber’s voice seemed to carry on and on into the darkness.

            “Be careful dear, the edge is right in front of me, hold on…”  Darna slipped to the left and breathed fire setting a small sconce on the wall to glowing.

            Saber looked to her and smiled in the dim light, reassuring her, then glanced about to get his bearings.  The edge of the floor was indeed right in front of him and if Darna had not known where they were going, how far to walk, they would have likely stepped right off of the one hundred foot drop to their deaths.  Alarmed Saber reached out to ensure Darna’s safety, pulling her back against him.

            “Oh!  Thank you dear, but I’m quite safe as will you be.  You see?”  Darna again breathed fire and a narrow trough filled with oil came to light on the right side of him.  The fire spread along the trough plunging off the edge and circling the rock walls in its decent.  In moments the entire enormous cavern was lit from the fire and glowing a beautiful golden light that sparkled off the walls and lit a rainbow of jewel tones everywhere.  Darna backed away letting Saber step up to the edge and as he looked over he gasped.

            The cavern was the largest indoor area he had ever seen, in fact it almost looked like an optical illusion or a painting, it seemed to go on forever.  That would have been a spectacular sight without the treasure illuminated by the fire.  The golden glow was exactly that, the cavern filled with every conceivable thing made from gold he had ever seen.  There were the standard candelabras, utensils, goblets, coins, bars, and jewelry.  But there were also sculptures, tables, mirrors, casks, trunks and so much more he didn’t even know where to look.  Piles and piles twenty feet tall of loose coins and rare jewels were everywhere, pouring out of each corner of the cavern.  Rubies, emeralds and sapphires shined no less spectacularly then the sparkling diamonds heaped everywhere.  There were crowns, swords and belts all made of gold and inset with precious jewels.  The treasure was the largest one Saber had ever seen and was probably larger then all treasures in L’Arne combined, including the royal treasury.

            “Darna, this is…”  Saber seemed at a loss.

            “I know, unbelievable, isn’t it?  Of course he’s had five thousand years to collect it all, and from what I know he started out with some, inheriting it from his father, who inherited some from his father, and so on.  The way I figure, there’s about ten generations of treasure here.  I know it will be in good hands with you.”  Darna spoke reverently.

            “Me?  But I don’t understand.”  Saber sputtered.

            “Yes dear, you.  When you are made alpha, all this will be yours.  Of course you will also be the foster of Torch and will use this treasure to care for him all his days along with any family he may have.  One day, maybe it will passed on to Torch’s son.  Or at least some of it, since I know you to be honorable and besides it’s not like there isn’t plenty to go around.”  Darna said with a smile.

            With it finally being said, Saber stood staring at the legacy he was accepting and realized for the first time that this was indeed no part time job and that his life as he knew it was suddenly and irrevocably changed.  Saber took a deep breath and looked down into Darna’s eyes.

            “With all that I am, I pledge to forever take care of you as I would my own mother and to do the same for Torch as my own brother.  No greater privilege has ever been bestowed and I hope to prove worthy of it.”  Saber bowed deeply to Darna while a tear slipped from her eye.

            “You are the one I hoped to be standing here with and for you to step forward without knowing all this…”  She swept an arm towards the treasure.  “shows me that I was right in my hopes.  You will be a fine alpha Saber and I look forward to being a part of everything you will accomplish.”  Darna nodded to him.  “Now let’s get you settled.”

            Darna slipped to the left along the edge and entered a hidden archway set behind an outcropping of rock.  She breathed fire one last time and the room showed indeed a small storage area.  Old armor, trunks, weapons and dusty cloth bags crowded the space deep into the shadows.

            “You and I can empty this out and I’ll clean it up for you.”  Darna said happily.  “Ragnor may very well approve of this since you will be guarding the treasure to closely.”

            “You have no servants do you, Darna?”  Saber finally guessed.

            “None, Ragnor never trusted anyone to be here with his treasure and therefore, I have gotten used to doing for us.  Torch helps some, with the hunting, heavy lifting as needed and such, but it has mostly been me these past five hundred years.  Now, I know what you’re going to say, but we each have our reasons, we choose our paths and make the best of those choices.  I’ve been truly loved and I have a hatchling I love as well so the choices I made are easily accounted for.  Will you be alright with this?  No servants, just the family?”  Darna wondered.

            “There is much I can do, Aunt.  I will ease your burden as I can and try very hard not to add to it.”  Saber pledged.

            “Well then, let’s get to it, shall we?”  Darna squared her shoulders and made to enter the chamber.

            “You go check on Ragnor and I haven’t seen Torch yet.  I can handle this.  What’s a little armor?  I’ll be done in a jiffy.”  Saber said, turning to the task at hand.

            “Thank you dear, I still have the evening meal to prepare as well.  If your sure, I’ll see you soon.”  Darna said in parting.  Saber looked back to the space and smiled thinking, well, he wasn’t bored at least and got to work. 

            Saber moves into the storage area in the back, furthest away from the family’s living space and Ragnor's resting place.  He takes over the hunting because fish and fowl are a snack, not a real meal for mature dragons.  Saber fetches water for everyone, wood for fires and generally stays useful.  It’s a fine line he balances on, not to offend Ragnor, and not to step on Torch’s fragile ego either.  Torch knows he will never be an alpha male, and it really doesn’t occur to him to be upset by that fact and Ragnor knows what will happen if he passes on with no protection of his family, lair and property.  Ragnor also knows that Saber is royalty and would never stoop to being a water boy unless there were very good reasons why.

            A month goes by before Ragnor calls Saber to him.  Together they make plans for Ragnor's passing and from that day forward Saber is the alpha male of the lair, foster to Ragnor's simple-minded son, and keeper of the magnificent treasury.

            Due to Ragnor’s solitary living for the past five thousand years, there were no clan alliances or extended family connections to call upon in times of need.  This had left Ragnor vulnerable and was the reason for the hidden lair, no servants and the warnings across the river below.  Therefore Sabers first task was to increase the defensibility of the lair.  A large valley of forestry is cut down opposite the lair, across the river, creating a meadow and leaving nowhere to hide as you approach from the north.  A side benefit is that it supplies the lair with all the firewood they will need for the next few decades.  This is a large project, and Saber contracts with a group of working class dragons to get it done in a short amount of time. 

            One morning Saber watches as the crew takes a break, and one of the dragons drink from the river below.  It’s a natural moat for the lair and snakes through the pass to encircle the castle on the other side of the mountain as well.  Saber’s thoughts are spinning as he considers the probability of future armies using it as a watering place.    He smiles as the solution comes to him and the next morning Saber sends out notice to the castle, lair and workers, not to drink from the river any longer.  With his notice served, Saber begins pissing in the river every morning and night.  Fish float dead in the water signaling dragons and forest animals alike that the river is now poisoned.  L’Arne’s great lake a few miles away will now be used for drinking water.  With his defenses established, Saber is ready to start the next phase of his and Ragnor's plan. 

 

              Thanks for meeting with me, Max.”  Saber reaches a hand out to the short dragon in front of him.  Max is of the Duck-bills clan and at his full height he stands only to Saber’s chest.  Barely.  As most Duck-bills are, Max is a dark brown but he has accents of gold and green along his wings and breastplate.  His snout is long and flat with ridges along the top and a set of admirable fangs pointing forward.  His eyes are bright blue and wide set while his horns are just as lethal as Saber’s atop his smaller head.  Max strokes the long black hair over his lip, obviously proud of it.  Not many dragons have hair of any kind and it is a rarity.

            “It is my pleasure Your Highness, how may I assist you?  Did my crew complete the job on the forest, should I bring them back?”  Max bowed deeply in deference to Saber’s royal status.

            “No, they did a fine job Max.  Exactly as I needed, thank you.  No, I’ve called you here to show you some plans I’ve made and I’m wondering if you would have any recommendations as to who I could hire to accomplish them.”  Saber motioned to the low table in the stalactite room where he had several long parchments laid out for viewing.

            “Well now, these are fine blue print’s, Your Majesty.  Did you draw them up yourself?” Max queried.

            “Yes, I’ve always enjoyed architecture and this provided an opportunity to create something of my own.”  Saber replied.

            “Fine job, fine job.  So, it looks a little like the large halls and living spaces we Duck-bills have in our territory.  Being prairie land we’ve had to adapt and have found that large villages are better defensibly then individual family homes.”  Max added.

            “That’s why I thought to come to you.  Besides the fact that you are the leader of such a large crew of workers, I had hoped you would also have access to true crafters.  Dragons that are familiar with marble, plaster, wood and even blacksmiths.”  Saber looked down at him hopefully.

            “What exactly are you building?”  Max asked.

            “Not building, excavating.”  Saber said looking around and smiling.

            Max followed Saber’s look and realized exactly what Saber was wanting to do.  Max wasn’t the leader of the worker crew for nothing and within moments he could envision the entire project completed.  The enormity of it almost rocked him back on his tail.

            “This is a lair.  Excavating…creating, space, lines, depth, support walls, rooms…”  Max walked about mumbling to himself and running his hands along the rock walls.  He came back to the table and flipped through the parchments seeing individual areas, halls, kitchens, skylights, stairways and then a second level of the same.  “This is quite ambitious.”  Max said, considering all the possibilities.

            “Is it conceivable?  Could it be created, here in this mountain?”  Saber asked quietly, the hope of an artist seeking approval.

            “Does the whole mountain contain this rock?”  Max asked, taking it seriously to Saber’s delight.

            “Yes it does.  I have personally seen down one hundred feet and it is the same throughout.  Is that good or bad?”  Saber worried.

            “Both.  It makes it harder to excavate, yet will ensure a firm foundation and solid retaining walls and floors.”  Max replied.  “Are you actually wanting to do this, Saber?”

            “Absolutely, Max.”  Saber nodded.

            “Well in that case, I would be privileged to work with you on it.  This would be the jewel in the crown of my career and I do know several dragons that would be perfect for the necessary finishing touches you want.  I have access to all sorts of artisans and specialists and can recommend no better a crew than my own.”  Max reached out and laid his small hand with its sharp claws against the parchments.

            “There’s no room for modesty, Max.”  Saber joked.  “So, time frame?  How long are we looking at?”

            Max laughed, “I can modestly say at the minimum, six months, depending on the density of the rock and other variables.  To have it completed and ready to show?  Slightly less than nine months.”  Max added with fingers crossed.  “The cost…”

            “Is no object.” Saber interrupted.

            “Really?” Max blanched a little.  “Well of course, when would you like to start?”

            “Is tomorrow too soon?” Saber asked with glee.

            “How about next week?  I can send for more dragons and you can interview the artisans and the excavation can begin.”  Max suggested.

            “Next week it is.” Saber clapped Max on his back almost knocking the smaller dragon off his feet.  Together they put their heads down and began discussing the particulars of the big job ahead of them.

            Excavation of the lair, increasing its size and livability in preparation of Saber’s secret dream of creating a dynasty was soon to become the talk of the land.  Max had over a hundred different dragons available for every stage of the plans.  Most of the excavation was completed manually but a few areas had to be blasted and this demanded the expertise of dragons familiar with black powder.  They were brought in from the far east, off L’Arne, and upon returning to their homelands, the story of the lair was spread far and wide.  Ragnor, Darna and Torch moved to the castle for this phase as the coming and going of workers, not to mention the noise and dust,  was much to invasive for them.  Saber stayed on site, back in the storage room, keeping the secret of the treasury cavern from wandering workers.

            Saber’s years at the castle had influenced his need for comfort, space, and privacy.  With that in mind, he excavated the entire top of the mountain, opening up and creating rooms, large halls, servant quarters, sleeping areas and social areas.  For Darna, and his own future plans, Saber made sure the nursery was big enough to accommodate decade’s worth of hatchlings.  There was an entire hall for nothing but servants quarters.  The kitchens were expanded as well as more storage areas.  Lastly, Saber had a large marble stone carved twenty feet tall and thirty feet across.  No one, including Max ever knew what it was for but it took ten dragons and a number of pulleys and winches to get it lifted to the lair.  Saber then dismissed the crew for the night and the next day it was just gone.

             It has been a long, longer than planned, operation but Saber is finally ready for Ragnor and his family to come back home.  It seems like just yesterday they made these plans but in reality it’s been almost a year since Saber first interrupted his mother and aunt that fateful day.  Saber’s not been bored a single moment and is actually looking forward to tomorrow and the party they will have to celebrate.  With Saber solidly entrenched as alpha male there is little chance of another dragon making a play for Ragnor's property, lair and family which is good.  The lair has been completed at the perfect time because Ragnor is fading quickly.  Ragnor will have a plush resting place with servants to care for him during his final days.  Darna loves the nursery and is eager to see it full of hatchlings.  Torch has his own private living space and personal entryway.  There is a great hall where the large party will occur and not a single dragon will be cramped for space.  The lair is now ready for anything.

            The final phase of Saber’s plans will begin after the party.  Queen Dana will be surprised, and very pleased to know that Saber has finally decided to take a mate.  After all, only one of Saber’s daughters can ascend the throne after Queen Dana’s time.  There is a lot to prepare before Saber leaves on his quest and he knows that he will need to leave instructions with the family.  Saber’s first stop?  Torch.  Saber’s not wild about leaving the family in Torch’s care, but Ragnor has become too invalid and Darna spends almost all her time caring for him, so Torch will need to step up and fill the role of provider in Saber’s absence. 

           

             Torch’s private area is a large cavernous space divided into two separate living areas.  A nice size sitting area with over sized shelving lined with every type of reading material you could imagine.  There are deep piles of pelts and fur lined pillows scattered around a small but effective fireplace.  The area is lit with many candles in their golden candelabras and sconces along the walls.  Tapestries are hung on the rock walls to help with the chill of the room and thick pelts are sewn together for area rugs.  Torch’s rooms are in the back of the lair and he has a window carved right through the rock wall, hung with drapery.  Torch’s sleeping area is right off his living area and the raised dais sits solidly in the center of the room with chests and tables flanking it.  There are plenty of candles about giving the room a warm, soft feel that’s emphasized by the many furs and wall coverings.  What no one had realized, except for maybe Darna, is that Torch was a scholar.  Well read and versed in dragon history along with a deep reverence for the arts and crafts, Torch had never been able to indulge his passions before.  His new living quarters have allowed him to expand his personal treasures and his enjoyment of it has created a new persona. 

            As Saber watches Torch move about the room creating displays of various trinkets, he is captivated by Torch’s demeanor.  Gone is the bumbling, clumsy dragon of the past and in its place is a dragon with dignity and grace.  Intelligence lights the eyes and humor can be seen in his face.  Saber watches without being seen for several moments before he steps into the room, startling Torch.

            “Oh my, I didn’t see you there, Saber.”  Torch says with a gasp, lowering his eyes and slumping his shoulders.  Torch moves slowly toward the fireplace and sets a music box on a shelf, replicating the manner which Saber is used to seeing.

            “Hello Torch, I need to speak with you for a moment.”  Saber voice was full of suspicion.

            At seven and a half feet tall, Torch is a good six to eight inches slighter than Saber.  His body is soft and weak with a small pooch to the abdominal  muscles.  His facial features are chiseled and refined, playing to his royal blood and with his soft brown coloring and deep burnt orange accents, Torch was attractive, although not alpha material.  With his physical appearance and his simple minded demeanor, Torch was exactly as you would expect of a dragon born to elderly parents.  Or so the world had been made to think.

            Saber and Torch spoke for several minutes with Torch never breaking character.  But Saber was no longer fooled and he knew without a doubt  that Torch was no simpleton.  It was only affected for his father’s benefit.  Saber took that knowledge in and thought it over for awhile pondering why a son who is clearly beloved by both parents faked being slow-witted.  Saber would find out.  Three hundred years at the palace would serve him well and Saber would figure it out he always does.  Later that night, after the party and still pondering, Saber leaves the lair in search of the perfect mate.



© 2013 Kari


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Again, liking the way this is going. At first,I was surprised by the apparent lack of conflict with Saber taking over as alpha in place of Torch, but the last paragraph sort of says why. I honestly would have wanted more detail of that ending conversation so that the reader could get the feeling that Torch was faking instead of Saber just telling us.
Like in the prologue, you tend to change between past tense and present tense. You make switches after Saber is shown the storage area, when Max the Duckbill first enters the scene, then when Max is consulted, after the excavation is over, after Saber speaks to Torch the first time, and then when Saber is making his realization about Torch. I'm also noting quite a few missing punctuation marks.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kari

10 Years Ago

My editing skills are lacking, that seems to be the long and short of it. You'll get a deeper under.. read more



Reviews

Again, liking the way this is going. At first,I was surprised by the apparent lack of conflict with Saber taking over as alpha in place of Torch, but the last paragraph sort of says why. I honestly would have wanted more detail of that ending conversation so that the reader could get the feeling that Torch was faking instead of Saber just telling us.
Like in the prologue, you tend to change between past tense and present tense. You make switches after Saber is shown the storage area, when Max the Duckbill first enters the scene, then when Max is consulted, after the excavation is over, after Saber speaks to Torch the first time, and then when Saber is making his realization about Torch. I'm also noting quite a few missing punctuation marks.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kari

10 Years Ago

My editing skills are lacking, that seems to be the long and short of it. You'll get a deeper under.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
1 Review
Added on October 25, 2013
Last Updated on October 25, 2013
Tags: Dragons, Magic, Drama, Evil, Castle, Love, Fantasy


Author

Kari
Kari

Yerington, NV



About
I am a full time wife and mother of 4 and 3 step children. I am also the proud grandmother of 6 beautiful kids. I didn't come by writing in the normal way. I tinkered with writing as a young adult, .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kari